Besides the fact that Altars would likely be near every graveyard for that to happen, Altars were used to resurrect heroes, while I see us as players as more of the non-hero named units in Warcraft, like Shandris, etc. That both explains why the NPCs in WoW that were heroes in WC3 are very difficult to kill, and why any random person that rolls a character isn't immediately considered a "hero"

The problem with death rarely being permanent in Azeroth, is that it seems to only apply to players, and if you wish to use that as an excuse, mobs. Personally, I can't just think "Oh, we killed that boss, but he walked back to his corpse after we left" If they're just going to keep at it, why bother? Now, bosses in Scholo or UD Strat are easy to explain, seeing as they are undead and the Lich King can always raise them again, but sometimes, it just doesn't add up. For all intents and purposes relative to Keraph, Arugal has been dead for a long time, though his curse still remains. Granted, he's still there in his keep, but it's not like I'm going to go back there now that I'm 60, so playing it off in that way isn't very harmful to RP.

I think mabey we should set down a common base for how our living players ressurect. With undead anf Forsaken it makes perfect sense, but perhaps we should just say that players have the will to live again and know that ressurection is possible. Mabey thats why they are able to ressurect? I am not sure. It's to difficult for me to explain. Mabey I should talk to a GM?

The "just badly injured" thing doesn't really make alot of sense at least to me. While dieing may seem bad, it's not permenatn in our characters world. If I kill you, I kill you. I'm not just going to beat you down to a pulp and leave you to die, I am going to TAKE YOUR LIFE completely. But everyone can ressurect. The soul is ripped from its body and must take it's return, this is the death that everyone goes to. I do not base ressurection on a shaman ability or anything similar like soul stone. Death is death, you die. You can come back, BUT YOU STILL DIE.

I agree. Azeroth has different laws of nature than the real world. One of those laws is that death is rarely permanent, and the spirit healers, as well as a good portion of the population of Azeroth (shaman, priests, druids, paladins, some engineers) can return anyone to life. Since I always RP, even in instances, this also explains why a boss is there today, even though I may have killed him yesterday. It's part of the game, part of the setting, and part of everyday life in Azeroth, so I'm not going to try to RP around it and pretend it doesn't happen.

Pyu pyu pyu!

I think mabey we should set down a common base for how our living players ressurect. With undead anf Forsaken it makes perfect sense, but perhaps we should just say that players have the will to live again and know that ressurection is possible. Mabey thats why they are able to ressurect? I am not sure. It's to difficult for me to explain. Mabey I should talk to a GM?

I think it best if we all let each other have our own ways of explaining it, because some are very firm in believing the death and resurrection, and others like me don't actually consider ourselves "dying". Keraph has only been -close- to dying a very few times in his unlife, and they were played out as a very big deal. If he thought he could just get back up afterwards, there would have been no drama or excitement to it.

I think it best if we all let each other have our own ways of explaining it, because some are very firm in believing the death and resurrection, and others like me don't actually consider ourselves "dying". Keraph has only been -close- to dying a very few times in his unlife, and they were played out as a very big deal. If he thought he could just get back up afterwards, there would have been no drama or excitement to it.

:):):):):) a happy face

Although Karthog can be quite foolish and stubborn, he will eventually step down, just at the VERY last moment. Usually when he *dies* from a pve or random pvp ganker, I say he got "knocked out" or "mangled". If he dies, most of his memory and skills will be wiped, hehehe, and he wouldn't come back alive unless he was ressurected from a player. (((IF it was an IC death.))

For instances ive always liked the

"Remember that time when we were in strath? And i got that crazy sword?!"

You can relive the same event over and over, telling it a different way, with different results. Some people did better then others depending on the story bias...but fragments of truth remain, those being the items you collected.

But world pvp is different. Warlocks, Shamans, Hunters have it easy...they can pass the SS, self rez, or FD excuse. But as far as other classes are concerned (aside from getting a priest to rez you) ive always just seen it as a "second wind" kind of deal. Yes I died, but through some force of will, be it my spirit, divine intervention, or stupid luck (depending on the death i suppose) I managed to worm my way back.

...and yes, the spirit healer is stupid. An angel, neutral to all forms of life, that'll resurrect you after she punches a couple holes in your armor. Not digging that...ive yet to use one in this game.

The way I do it is:

Rezzing is OOC

If my character dies IRP, he/she is dead. If I'm willing to say that my character is dying in RP, I'll most likely mean it. Otherwise, out in Open World RP, dying isn't IRP. My character doesn't fall to the ground and not move IRP, unless I'm actually killing the character off.

The way I do it is:

Rezzing is OOC

If my character dies IRP, he/she is dead. If I'm willing to say that my character is dying in RP, I'll most likely mean it. Otherwise, out in Open World RP, dying isn't IRP. My character doesn't fall to the ground and not move IRP, unless I'm actually killing the character off.

Pretty much this, if in a story, preferably one about an actual PvP event that happened I would either have him blackout and wake up amongst healers having been saved, or engineer some sort of fantastical way for him to be spirited out of that situation. Lore wise I can't think of anyone other then old gods, or titans that when resurrected weren't rotters.

As for the pain of death, if resurrection were always an option the horde would be boned because Ackley lives to die for the Alliance, for glory and honor and all that nonsense.

Oooh Gosh, Chavie.

Also, death apparently hurts quite a lot. Take Kenny's Speech as "Mysterion" in the "Coon Friends" trilogy.

it's, however, a highly likely chance of happening to everyone, and almost laughed off, due to them making it in the Burning Crusade cinematic where the orc warrior gets 3 arrows shot into his heart and falls, only to be two seconds later raised right back up in near perfect condition and raging on without missing a beat by the Elf priest.

4369, the number of times my character has actually died, usually by mobs and other players on the opposite faction who don't RP. The way I see it over a thousand deaths in five years would have severely affected someones head, or just become too ridiculous for me to deal with. I usually go by knocked out or severely injured for these deaths because I think dieing should still be considered something final that you don't really come back from.

I do agree with the OP in that the characters themselves really ought to have a bit more of a regard for the threat of an IC death. I also am a firm believer of the "serious injury and incapacitation" clause that applies to game mechanic ressing when not in the face of an imminent RP death. Honestly, an IC death ought to be a considered a serious threat if it's actually a -serious threat- from someone powerful that you know could probably kill you as easilly as he just said he could. Fortunately, SERIOUS death threats probably aren't issued every other sentence because that tends to take the gravity out of them (in my opinion at least), and it's probably very easy to avoid being put in a situation like that.

Also, yea, I've been "killed" ICly before, but as I am a pro-lock, I'm usually well prepared with a soulstone on myself ICly if I even smell an assassination attempt. That little bugger of a spell has saved my ass from dragons, angry paladins, and a couple of long falls off of tall trees.

hokay, ultra condensed version becuase I've said this a BAJILLION TIMEZ.

I take death seriously in my RP.

Resurection spells are more like 'shock cables' and can bring you back from the other side of 'dead' if you just died, but if you wait too long the soul is free from it's mortal bonds and other means must be used to bring one back to life: such as necromancy. It takes more than mending a body to bring somebody back to life once it's been too long, the soul must be brought back from the nether.

Grave rezzing is totally OOC.

Death cannot be cured without consequences. These may be mental, physical, or something else. Dying is serious and to come back you need to pay a price, equivalent exchange bitch.

I have killed 3 of my characters so far in WoW, all of which are permanent deaths. I will never bring these characters back because it defeats the point of their deaths.

My feelings on the matter more or less remain the same as they did the like four years ago I posted on this thread, I just wanted to comment on holy damn thread necro. I feel so dated (Also I miss Chavie)

Looking at the time on the first post, I can only think WISE FROM YOUR GWAVE.

Anyways, how I treat death in RP, roughly; Resurection is possible, but self-resurection is not*. To return from the dead, someone must bring you back from the dead and there must be no kind of interference (soul taken, body destroyed or the body was used in necromancy) and the person must have died recently. Add onto that, except in the case of necromancy, the person must be willful enough to resist the call of the afterlife in order to be resurected - you cannot return if you are no longer in this world.

We have seen numerous examples of resurection being used by NPCs in game. However, I always get this feeling that it's supposed to be a big deal, not something done easily or casually. Aside from all those complications, death is probably painful. It's not something that someone would want to experience again once they've experienced the first time.

hokay, ultra condensed version becuase I've said this a BAJILLION TIMEZ.

I take death seriously in my RP.

Resurection spells are more like 'shock cables' and can bring you back from the other side of 'dead' if you just died, but if you wait too long the soul is free from it's mortal bonds and other means must be used to bring one back to life: such as necromancy. It takes more than mending a body to bring somebody back to life once it's been too long, the soul must be brought back from the nether.

Grave rezzing is totally OOC.

Death cannot be cured without consequences. These may be mental, physical, or something else. Dying is serious and to come back you need to pay a price, equivalent exchange bitch.

I have killed 3 of my characters so far in WoW, all of which are permanent deaths. I will never bring these characters back because it defeats the point of their deaths.

Advantage of being a Forsaken character and the addition of the Barber shop?

Die alot (RP wise or however you want to play it), do some quick 'edits' in the Barber shop to reflect that. Die some more? Then go for broke with the jawless/eyeless Forsaken!