Nomeni

Dust and Age

Things are quiet now. Or rather they are quieter. I made it up to the human lands yesterday, and have been making my way steadily northward. I hope to make it to Stratholme before the in three weeks, but that is only hope. If I cannot make it that far I hope to be at least as far as Lordaeron or Dalaraan. Needless to say, I will only stay in Darkshire for another day at most. The path through the mountains will be difficult, and I need to be making my way through them before the weather gives out yet again.

I am not so much worried about the travel as I am myself. The limitations placed on my person thanks to my mistake are daunting to say the least. The paths now available to me are few and far between, especially considering the state of my being. Not that I would return to magecraft, but no reputable school would take in someone looking as I do. Tattoos are hardly the trappings of a student deserving of magical abilities.

My only real option is to join the far striders or the priesthood, and only the first of those two options is really even an option at all. I have never had any aptitude for more graceful side of magic, nor have I had any interest in it. Becoming a ranger is the more desirable option by far. They would not care or worry about the markings my body holds, or the reasons for my entry into the core, only that I serve diligently and intelligently. I could use the exercise that path would offer anyway. As this journey is displaying quite well, I am hardly in the shape I thought myself to be....

I will write more later, I need to rest.

T.H.

Several pages of the journal are torn out between the last entry and this one. Strangely, some of the pages seem to have burn marks on their edges.

I wont rewrite them. Memories it seems will only get me into trouble. I have to be much more careful than I originally thought. Despite that fact, I miss them. Theres nothing that I can or will do about it, but it remains all the same.

On a brighter note, Lordaeron and Dalaaran are much as I remember them. Not quiet and peaceful of course, with the orcish horde rampaging to the south there is not much they can do but be busy. The mobilizations are happening quickly, far quicker than I thought they would. I am glad for this, despite the dreams that have been tormenting me. I fear if or when these things come to pass that we will not be prepared for them...

Again there is nothing I can or will do here. I prefer to keep my skin in one piece and I fear I will have to destroy yet another page in my journal. I have made it to Tranquilien, and tomorrow I will be in Silvermoon. I need to get myself situated there, in a job that will suit me before I try to move on to joining the Far Striders. I know the unit that I need to be in, and where I will need to go in the war that has begun to burn, but I need something to fall back on afterwards. I will be out of money soon enough as it is.

Being a commoner means the draft will catch me soon after I reach the city. Hopefully I have enough time...

T.H.

A week has passed since my last entry, and I am unsure of when my next one will come about. I wasn't in the city for three hours before one of the draft officers picked me up and carted me off to the training camp. I've been training quite a bit lately with the bow, and to a small degree with the training of hunting animals. I've gotten a bit better with the bow, but not near as much as I would like, obviously. There's hardly been enough time to get truly aquainted with the instrument, even with the six hours a day I've been spending at the range testing my shots. I'm hardly expected to be on the field any time soon though, which is a good thing. I've been slated for defense of Eversong instead of frontline work.

My hope is that I will learn enough here to get me by after the war. I need something to go by, and given my general lack of trade professions, it wouldn't hurt to have something useful to offer as far as services go. Being a somewhat skilled tracker or marksman would at least put food on the table. Where I will go after the war though is hardly something I should be concerning myself about now though. My new training regimen comes first and foremost. I'm horribly sore now, my arms especially. The good news they say though, is that it goes away once you get used to it. I hope I get used to it soon.

I'll write again when I get the chance. I just needed to clear my head, I thought about them again today.

T.H.

A good number of entries are written between this entry and the last, all dealing with the ins and outs of training, its difficulty, and the growth of the writer. Most of them are short, barely a few sentences long.

Time has been...something I haven't had much of lately. I've been thinking a lot though, and its about time I made time to put these thoughts to paper. I'm worried. I don't know when I'll be able to go home, or when I'll see my family again. I am glad that I wont have to participate directly in the war, but I'm doing my best to keep focused on the task at hand, and avoid making friends I know I'm going to lose. Right now, I think that is the best course. I can wait until later, six or seven years from now if necessary to allow myself to get closer to people. The days pass by quickly enough, and hopefully this will all be over quickly.

My biggest fear is that i don't know when or how long it will take the people back home to manage to find me. I was told that they'd have a chance some time in the future, but I don't know when, or how long it will take between when I disappeared and when they'll have the chance to find me. I truly, do not wish to think about this, but I would rather get it out of my head now than distract me later on. Regardless of how long, or even if they can find me, I am here now, in this place at this time. I will live it as best I can.

As for my boundaries, I'm beginning to push them. I've made a few strides to this end, and have managed to accomplish a few things without being punished for them. I've managed to put more and more of my magical energies into my shots, making them a good deal more accurate, and striking points that will deal a good bit more damage. No one seems to care about the abundance of runes on my body either. In fact, since most people attribute them to my being some experiment, I can even use some of them from time to time. Why would I be able to control something that I did not create? My biggest challenge will come later.

I can't test it now, I don't have the space or the time required. I will make sure to note it when the task is done though.

T.H.

I can't believe this is still around... I'd completely forgotten I even had this thing... I think the last entry was from 7 years ago? I found it again, packing up my apartment in Silvermoon. I'd found other ways to vent my frustrations for a while, but I suppose keeping a written record of my trials would not be such a bad idea considering. Probably a better idea than simply letting things slide. Regardless, so much has happened in the past years, much of it I cannot scribe to a book such as this.

For starters, my treatise on runes is full now. I know not what to do with it other than to entrust it to my servant. It contains a good deal more information on the nature of controlling and binding runes, going into special detail on how to tie the life force of one being to another. Most of this came slowly of course, I had ample time to figure out how things work and the requirements necessary for such runes.

I've gained almost full control of myself at this point as well. The urges are gone, and I have learned to vent my excess problems myself. My servant was of course, quite helpful in this matter, though she would loathe to admit it. I cannot say she is the same as I remember, but things are changing. Slowly I think, she is beginning to come into the person I remember. I know not how long it will take to complete the process, but I hope to be there when it happens.

My hobbies aside, I have left the Far Striders indeffinately. The wars are over and I think it high time for some peace and quiet for myself. I am not sure where exactly I will be going yet. If memory serves, Tarren Mill might be a good place to relocate myself to. They have much work to do there as it is, and my aid might be useful in the coming months. I at least could provide some protection for the place, if not some hunting and trapping abilities. With the Ogres to the north, I imagine they will need all the help they can get.

My curiosity has grown though, and I wish to visit my family. I know it is forbidden, but with the peace my mind has returned to thoughts of them and my friends. I know I could not see many of them, despite the restrictions on my socializing. This frustrates me to no end, but I will leave things as they are for now. I will discuss this further with Aewyn, since truly, I should not even scribe this discourse. Sadly, I still have some time before my hopeful window opens up. Until then, I will bide my time and try to wait patiently.

T.H.

We reached Tarren Mill a few days ago. A thinks it stinks here, but I could honestly care less what she thinks. Things are peaceful, and for now thats enough for me. We were able to get a place to stay easy enough, with a good deal of the village gone thanks to the wars. It was cheap enough, though again A had some comments against the place. Since we got here though, she's made herself useful by cleaning the place up. Its starting to look nicer now, though I've still got some touches that I'd like to add myself.

That will come later, for now I have too much work to do. I've been hunting, and despite the war thats ravaged this land, there's a good deal of game around. I've made some money and friends selling off of the deer, and more off of the bear and cougars that seem to be everywhere. The humans don't seem to be too concerned with me. A few of them seem a bit wary, but thats to be expected with the way that I look. An elf rarely has reason to spend time in human lands.

Dalaraan is close by as well, which is convenient for me. I've never been there before, so I expect the experience will at least be interesting. I've heard a great deal about the place, and while I know I wont be able to start practicing again, getting my hands on any kind of arcane tome or griomoire would be amazing. I haven't had anything like that to read since the incident occurred. For now though, I need to get my hands on more game. I need to do something to make some money, and for now selling meat and hides seems like the best way to go about it.

I'll find things to do. I'll have more than enough time to get things done.

T.H.

A few months have passed. Things are moving along nicely. We've got enough money between my hunting and A's talioring skills to last us for a while. We'll still be making things and getting things done to make money. I've got a lot saved up back in Silvermoon, but I'd rather avoid touching that money unless its absolutely necessary. Anyway, the house is fully furnished, and we've got enough food and firewood stored up to keep us moving. I'm not at all used to living this way, but its interesting, the in between of living in the dirt of war, and the climate control of Silvermoon.

In the time here, I've managed two visits to Dalaraan so far. I'll visit more in the coming months, as I can only really get one book at a time. Their library is simply fantastic. Its almost as large as the one in Silvermoon, but there is a completely different group of writers. The different perspectives on any given subject are fascinating. From what I'm reading, humans seem to be far behind, or simply don't care nearly as much about runework as some of the other races I've studied, but they are far advanced in other areas that I find highly interesting.

Those books are much harder to find of course, but they're there if you spend the time and know where to look. A doesn't so much agree with my studies, she thinks I should be focusing on the jobs at hand and not tempting fate by playing with things. I have to agree, to a certain extent. There's no reason that studies alone would get me in trouble... They haven't yet and that seems enough evidence for me that things are safe. As I said though, there will be more than enough time to study further. I've started another log book, and that will keep me occupied for a while.

I'll try to write again sooner.

T.H.