Aquizit

Tauren last/clan names.

So... a tauren's "last name" is their clan name, right? So like.. anyone from the Grimtotem clan is .. <blank> Grimtotem, whether or not they're direct blood relatives, right?

It's pertinent to a tauren hunter I feel like playing when there's nothing to do on Aquizit.. so like.. Dio or Fhen or one of you tauren guys, help me out here!

That is correct, yes. It isn't so much a last name as a tribe name. It's more a sign of what your beliefs are. For instance, the Dawnstrider tribe are experienced enchanters and shaman. The Ragetotem are smiths and warriors.

It seems likely that before the arrival of the Orcs during the third war, tribal names took on more meaning. Your tribal name would be more of an identification of the tribe that you traveled with.

So... a tauren's "last name" is their clan name, right? So like.. anyone from the Grimtotem clan is .. <blank> Grimtotem, whether or not they're direct blood relatives, right?

It's pertinent to a tauren hunter I feel like playing when there's nothing to do on Aquizit.. so like.. Dio or Fhen or one of you tauren guys, help me out here!

Basically, no. A tauren's last name is not necessarily their tribe name, except for the ones that hold particular strength and status, who mostly exist as the class trainers in the game, like Hamuul Runetotem.

An example of this is Grundig Darkcloud, the leader of the Grimtotem in Stonetalon.

All right, going to post what I've learned in my background research on Tauren lore back in the day.

Tauren are born with a first name only. The clan name is used as an identifier of general family. Until a last name is given, often the clan name is used as such. Those that choose to be more specific would give the first name, then "Of the <fill in> tribe". The true last name is earned with some note-worthy feat, at which time one's tribe bestows upon the Tauren a personal last name.

Reason I know this: my warrior, Baklar Treesunder, started existance as a Tauren scout in my friend's D&D 3.5 campaign. I wanted a Tauren, and I'm one of those geeks that love to get things right, so I read up on it. Baklar was of the Splithoof tribe, and was known as such until his thirtieth season. Being a devout worshiper of the Earth Mother, he prayed in front of his totem (the ones that you carryacross your back, not on a belt loop) whenever the sun touched the horizon, as he felt the most connection with the earth at dusk and dawn. Baklar was able to ignore everything of the world around him during his meditations except direct contact, which he felt was an affront to his worship, and delt with it by swiftly gripping the base of said totem and skull-cracking the offender with it. I took three talents to pull of this feat in a smooth manner (Swift Draw, Lightning Reflexes, and Weapon Proficiency: Totems). Baklar got the last name of Treesunder when the son of his chieften tried to strike up a conversation with Baklar at dusk, and nudged his shoulder to get attention. The resulting blow shattered the wooden totem, and another had to be crafted. Since the totem was the size of a good-aged tree, and it was indeed broken in two upon the head of the chiften's son, the name Treesunder was alloted.

Long, rambling, but I hope a good example.

Tauren have a +2 level set...not bad, considering they get to use two-handed clubs the size of a human and get free gore attacks, plus massive stamina. But yes, D20 put out a World of Warcraft handbook that I picked up for char making (also where I brewed up the basis for Lelenia, but I digress). Also was chok full of lore and history on every race/class you could think of.

Want a gnome blademaster? I know how. Kneecapping FTW

So, if I'm a Tauren of the Runetotem tribe and I haven't done anything special yet, I would be referred to as <name> Runetotem? Or just <name>? Or either one? All of the Tauren I've seen in-game apart from guards and some of the "Braves" in Bloodhoof Village and such have last names, most of which fit with a clan or are a mark of being special.

Also, after a Tauren does something special, are they required to change their name, or can they still keep their clan name if they prefer?

That is pretty much how I roleplay my name. Just as Fallacy outlined.

My druid's name is Howi. ( which is an actually Amerindian name, Ashtyn knows the meaning.. ) His family name is Stonefire, which his entire herding community has, referring to the fire pits of the nomadic herders his ancestors were traditionally.

Lankali is actually a bastardization of "Lenka", which is the other tribe native to El Salvador. All of her background arpeez are inspired by the mythology of the Pipil, my dad's tribe. She doesn't have a last name because she was raised by Kaldorei. :(

Yemana was born to a shu'halo of the Runetotem tribe - I always referred to her as "Yemana of the Runetotem". When she introduced herself, it was something like "I am Yemana - my people are the Runetotem".

This was before her mother (Runetotem) died and she pulled an Anakin and began to believe the teachings of her father's tribe, the Grimtotem. So...yeah.

Another thing is in Native American cultures there were subdivision called "lodges" or "clans". Therefore you could be called Moteu (tribe) of the (insert name) Lodge. Just a fact I thought may be interesting. I know I am way behind on this post. If interested in Tauren RP and whatnot take a look at the post "Achewon Biscuwi" in the Nether Legends section.