Redcap

Online gaming enhances leadership skills

There may be something to that. I hate leading, in life and in games. I am a follower extraordinaire. When I get handed crown, I freak out and hand it to the next person in line ASAP, ha! But! On the rare occasions I've been forced to lead in game, I've been shocked at my own capability. Guess if you do enough following, you start to learn what makes a good leader, even if you don't particularly enjoy using those skills yourself.

If you follow the leader, you learn from the leader. All the strategies I learnt is from watching a leader lead. You tend to learn what tactics will work and what will not work just by watching if the leader is successful or not in trying to achieve a goal.

I too am not too willing to lead, but I find that I can get a completely inexperienced PUG through an instance without a single wipe or death very easily, provided that they actually listened, which they did. And I find myself rather efficient in resolving conflicts about rolls and loots and cussing the noob in a PUG. Heck, I even know how to get a noob to listen and learn with a degree of success despite him being a completely stubborn mule.

As much as I try to lead I find myself not being listened to constantly. This has developed a need for attention and a loud voice. My voice never overpowers anyones so I find myself yelling a lot. I don't have a girly or childish voice but I get a lot of "pshh w/e"s. I don't know what that had to do with the topic but I felt like I needed to get that off my chest.

If my leadership with Sanctuary has any indications of my leadership skills in the real world, I'm prone to be accepting to everyone and making bad decisions based on keeping everyone happy.

Also, I want to be a superhero.

I always thought I was a terrible leader -- I'm not exactly the type that inspires respect. But since I've started playing WoW I've found it easier to organize people into action when otherwise they might dither or argue. I realized that lots of people -want- someone to step up because they don't want to be the one to do it. But it's not so bad, and I enjoy being productive and learning more about how to lead without being demeaning or rash.

The difference between me leading in real life and me leading in WoW is that the money you make motivates you to listen to me in real life.

In WoW, I'll kill you and your children.

I've been an officer in many clubs and organizations throughout my life, and president of a few as well. I feel that these traits transfer over to my gaming, as I am a leader/officer in almost everything I'm involved in in WoW. However, at the same time, knowing that WoW is a game, I don't always put forth as much into leading as I do in real life clubs and organizatoins. Like, if I need a break from WoW, I will take one. If I need a break from a club, I won't do it, and continue to push myself to stay with it.

But yes- I think having a leadership in WoW would motivate many (who are in the position) to take on real life officership, since its practicing on the same things, even if the world is on a computer screen xD

I have been a officer in a few guilds though my gaming career and when I play tabletop I usually have a strong voice in what we do.

on Redcap I don't want to lead the group, I never feel like anyone would want to listen to a rogue.

So I pass off leadership to the tank, I think the tank should always be the leader.

on Redcap I don't want to lead the group, I never feel like anyone would want to listen to a rogue.

So I pass off leadership to the tank, I think the tank should always be the leader.

That is actually a fact. I've had to push hard to get Abric to look like he knows what he is talking about in PuGs. With my first warrior? People just did what I told them to do, and there was little to no argument.

Except... from rogues.