Chikt

Has The Game Changed?

I was thinking about it today, about if in my mind WoW feels any different from when I first started playing it. My memories are odd, or at least, I think they are. I remember playing Taz on my Sega as a kid, and there was always this certain smell in the air of fresh warm damper. When I went and started playing with Bionicle, the initial feeling of joy I had playing with them slowly faded away over time until I couldn't remember what exactly that feeling was. Bad memories are much the same.

And so I was thinking about my memories of first playing World Of Warcraft. There was always a smell of rain, but I was always warm in front of my computer and laughing as I played with friends I know on the other side of town. And then I put that alongside what I feel when I play WoW now. It's raining, I'm huddled up in front of my PC with my heater going, just sitting in Shattrath and talking to friends while I wait for something interesting to come up.

In all honesty, the game hasn't changed for me. I still find it challenging and fun. I still enjoy travelling around with smaller groups to do stuff. The only thing that has changed is the people I talk to while I am playing it and I feel that the change was for the better.

I can see myself playing it for a long time to come. And when WAR comes out, playing with the same group of people on it instead.

... Wow, that sounded REALLY mellow.

Hmm. Recently Dio I havn't been on. At all. I mean once in a whiel I'll get on and check up on things but I've just been kind of "meh" aboot the whole thing. I used to be content with just sitting down and playing WoW but... I'm not sure. Recently I've been meeting some new people, all I want to do is be with them, and when I come home? I can't stay on WoW even for a moments time.

The game seems to change pretty drastically for me every few months. :) None of the people I started with at release play at all anymore, and one group that I played with for a while outlevelled me and then server hopped and I completely lost touch with them. At one point I even quit and swore I'd never play it again, but was drawn back in by yet another completely different group of people.

I'm always trying to get more out of it, but I'm not scared to say when I've had enough when I have enough. It's been many months indeed since I've logged off and not been itching to play again within a few hours, though. :)

This is really the only time I will ever compare WoW to life: Your experience is whatever you make of it.

If you're bored sitting in Shattrah, then leave Shattrah.

One thing I've done is try to do something every day to help people out, someone not in my Guild.

I'll give a gold piece to a low level warrior, I handed out 14 Mageweave Bags in Elwynn once, helped countless people with group quests like Ring of Blood... My all time favorite thing to do is join the LFG channel for instances that I know people struggle with and push hard to give them the easiest time possible. Most people don't get an opportunity to run with a well geared Tank and it makes me feel good when I see them get their drops.

It's not a lot, but it sure beats rolling alt after alt and it helps the server even a little.

I have now been grounded from WoW for 6 months, I get on for 8 hours every two months or so but past that, nothing. My hunter was 40 in January, 6 months later he is only 56. Everytime I go near Brill I get a cold chill. I miss being a lowbie, everything was so new and exciting. I cant see myself not playing WoW, and when a new MMO comes out it will have to be great, and automatticly jump to 8 million players. I sure as hell am not ditching everything I work so hard to get.

I also enjoy helping out lowbies when I'm bored. I've actually made a few friends that way and it just cheers me to know that someone got what they were hoping for because of me, or were delighted by something they weren't even expecting. Although at the same time, I don't want to spoil the lowbies too much, because then they won't even appreciate what they're getting! Also, some of them really are kids and don't know how to feel gratitude. Ah well, they'll grow up someday.

It's funny though, I was just thinking about my first days on WoW not that long ago. It was uh this past February (I'm a noooob) but even so I can tell a big difference. I remember when I was questing in the Barrens, I found a way to get on top of those barrier hills, and I ran around on them for hours, just looking at other lands. Then I fell down into Dustwallow Marsh and tried to get to the post there, but I got eaten by an alligator repeatedly and an ally rode by so I figured it was an Alliance post and gave up. But yeah... It was so exciting back then, exploring when everything was so new (and dangerous to a level 16 hunter). Now I'm just like meh, I've seen it all. But the end-game challenges and the friends I've made mean that although solo content and exploring aren't very interesting to me anymore, I still love the game.

I wish I was playing WoW T.T

But of course, if I *really* wanted to, I would be ... There just aren't enough freaking hours in the day. So many other games I want to play right now, then I realize Citadel's raiding without me, and then I blaaaaaaaaaaah.

This is why forums are great. I can make sure people don't forget about me this way ;)

By the way, Xara? You're still sexy as hell.

I miss the old days of Twisting Nether, personally. I love everyone now, but back then, I remember being a lowbie, meeting new people, and making Infection a strong RP guild. It was fun to log on and chat ICly and OOCly with my guildmates, and level. My guildmates and I would do instances together.

Now when I log into WoW, most of my friends from back then have moved on, or made entirely new characters and don't even play the ones I knew them for. I don't get to RP as much because people are never around, and my OOC channels are usually pretty quiet. I log on Nadea to raid every once in a while, because nobody really wants to do anything else.

It makes me sad, which is why its hard for me to log on to wow sometimes. I'm an emotional gamer, and in situations like these, it really gets to me.

QFT, Nadea. Very few of the people I started playing with and really enjoyed being around are still here-- people like Sulajin, Vilmah, et al are around, but what about those who, at my time as a lowbie, I considered the Legends?

Personally, I blame the Blood Elves.

Damn Blood Elves ruining everything!

Seriously, for me the game has changed quite a bit. When the expansion came out, I got a second account so I could play Belfs along with my humans, and I ended up hooked on em. Now I not only have blood elves, but orcs, undead, and trolls too.

I had many wonderful times as Alliance, but now the game is totally different, and not in a bad way. I get great RP, and everything is just as new and wonderful now as it was when I first started two years ago.

I'm still loving the game, and enjoying the people. I don't see myself getting tired of it for a long time to come.

Nadea, I'd say let's make a story together! ... but both of my characters would hate you :(

Its okay, Nadea probably wouldn't like you either... especially if you're an Orc xP

I can tell you my thoughts from the perspective of a new player...

I scoped out a few servers to make a charcter on and settled on this one. I read a lot of good feedback saying the community and the level of roleplaying was great. The clincher for me was seeing this site as a gathering point for all things RP.

However, in the short month that I've been playing I feel I'm starting to become somewhat jaded. I've read that quite of bit of RP goes on in Silvermoon, however I don't own Burning Crusade and hadn't really thought of getting it until I got a character higher level. I feel like since some many people have played for so long and have high-level characters, there's a "been there, done that" feeling.

I've met very few people in my travels that are willing to RP at all. Some places I've ventured (like the Barrens) and listening to that chat makes me cringe with all the idiocy.

I guess I'm at an impass on what to do. Should I stick it out and wait until higher levels, or do I need to get BC to meet more people, or am I just plain ol' doing something wrong?

I really would like to give it a shot, but at this point I'm wondering if it's worth the time and effort to put into it.

Anyhow, just the random thoughts from a new player.

I'd say that two of your best bets for getting RP on this server are to join an RP guild, and to join the RP channel (if you are Horde, but the mention of Barrens does allow some assumptions). Unfortunately, neither of those allow for face-to-face interaction.

Someone a while back made a mention of an idea to request face-to-face interactions for certain storylines, and things of that nature. That may be worth a look as well.

But of course, if I *really* wanted to, I would be ... There just aren't enough freaking hours in the day. So many other games I want to play right now, then I realize Citadel's raiding without me, and then I blaaaaaaaaaaah.

This is why forums are great. I can make sure people don't forget about me this way ;)

Well yeah, we reaid without anyone. Me, Empty, whoever's not there misses out. But if you are there, you can get in, silly! Especially this coming week, because Gornash is gonna be... occupied. Heehee.

And quit calling me sexy >:|

Back on topic: I'm only just finding out about the arpee community on TN, but I like what I've seen so far. It helps to already be friends with a bunch of these people, because then that camaraderie transfers easily over into arpee. But I still feel like I'm only scraping the surface and I look forward to making a character everyone knows. Or at least I can dream :D

Not to mention the fact that the Widowmakers haven't been doing so hot lately.

What the ... Dag? When did you get here?

And yes ... I do feel guilty about my beloved Widowmakers.

Just registered today... while bored at work (it's summer). My company blocks most gaming related websites (*sob* including Citadel's guild site), and happened to remember someone in the guild talking about this forum. Well, no worries about arena, our current setup just needs a bit more strategy, but I do miss hearing you say, after 10 seconds into a match, "(insert random clothie) is down!"

Two-shotted a mage yesterday. That was fun. One of the matches where Tak didn't even die :P

Oh, and did Ukiah tell you about when the three of us got ANNIHILATED by a team of Ordo Letalis members? Tak immediately jumped to their channel and yelled at them for dropping our rating :P