Vilmah

Betrayal

Vilmah giggled. If anyone made sense in the world, it was Bloodscream. How he managed to keep the smile on his face while wearing a Grim tabard, she had no idea.

"Well, she's a feisty little thing you see.. we've had to guard our throats against her attacks many times. Rosette?"

Almost immediately, a small three year old human girl ran up to Vilmah. She stumbled once over her own feet, and landed flat on her face. Without a hint of tears, she propped herself back up with her hands and resumed running to throw her arms around Vilmah's plate covered legs.

"See what I mean?" Vilmah said with mock exhaspiration. "She's out for the kill already."

Rosette didn't much notice Bloodscream, until she saw Vilmah's attention drawn away from her. It was then that she looked up with her one eye and shyly hid her face from him behind Vilmah's leg. Her mirthful smile betrayed any thoughts that she might have been afraid of him.

Bloodscream looked down at the little thing. She had obviously had a less than joyous life thus far, she wore the scars of it plainly.

Bloodscream crouched down, the child was clearly not afraid of him.

"Brave little squirt ain't she?" he asked, his left hand still in his bag.

Bloodscream cast a quick glance towards the others in the room. He could sense that each one was waiting, ready for anything. The tension in the room comforted Bloodscream as much as it bothered him.

It comforted him to know that his and Vilmah's secret appeared at least at this time, to still be theirs. He grinned knowingly at Vilmah.

"I gotta tell ya... the urge to yell "Now Abric!" and dive behind a table... is strong... very very strong, but not everyone here has my sense of humour do they little one?" he asked the child, clearly not expecting an answer.

His brought out his left hand from his bag.

He was holding something and he tried not to grin as he pulled it out, trying to picture what was going on inside the trolls head.

It was about ten inches long and covered in metallic plates.

It looked an awful lot like a burly orc in armor.

It had a little shield and a little axe.

It was wearing little tankatronic goggles.

It even had a tiny little Grim tabbard.

"I started work on this a few months back as a gag gift for you." He said softly, obviously addressing Vilmah and not the child he held the doll out to.

It took her a few seconds, but Vilmah burst into laughter. The doll was adorable, if not somewhat disturbing.

"I guess you wanted me to be prepared, in case I should ever want to burn you in effigy."

Rosette's hiding game was cut short when she saw the doll. Putting her hands over her mouth, she made a surprised face and pointed from the doll, to Bloodscream, and back again. To a three year old child, he bore a strong resemblance to Kromag. Giggling, Rosette pounded a fist to her chest and repeated her uncle's word, "Orc!", before pointing again to the doll and to Bloodscream.

"That's right," Vilmah said as she pat the girl's head, the worst of her scars covered by her hat. "That's Bloodscream, and he's an orc. Like me."

"Vi-vi?" Rosette asked, and then rambled off in a series of incomprehensable common before returning to orcish with, "Vi-vi orc? Ba-luuud orc."

The little girl giggled again and pointed to Bloodscream.

"Baaa-lud. Ba-ba. Heee!"

Nojinbu let a smile creep out at Rosette's happiness.

"Sa, Why din ya jus say ya be 'ere fa dat, eh?"

he looked vilmah.

"An why din ya say 'e was ta be expected?"

Nojinbu sighed and flopped into a chair.

"Tell you the truth, I didn't expect him to come," she said to Nojinbu. Rosette crept away from Vilmah's legs and walked towards the doll, then stood in front of Bloodscream, bouncing on her heels.

"I know how busy he can be."

Bloodscream grinned. He had often seen her smile but the times where he could recall hearing Vilmah laugh out loud were few, he stopped and stared at her a while then turned his attention back to the child, hoping no one had noticed.

"Wait for it" he said. "I'm not in the habit of making dolls."

He reached over and grabbed a small chain that was protruding from the dolls back. He pulled the fine crafted chain back about six inches and released it. It started to disappear into the doll once more and as it did a slightly metallic voice was heard.

"Lupen sucks!" came the voice. Bloodscream just grinned.

"It says other stuff too but that's my favorite."

"I didn't say cause you didn't ask Noj, you did what everyone else does, you saw seven feet of armored Orc wearing the colors of the Grim and you assumed the worse... I'm used to it." Bloodscream said softly, not wanting to raise his voice and frighten the child.

Vilmah bit her lips, trying to stifle her laughter. She was so overcome that tears streamed from her eyes. Rosette clasped her hands together and continued bouncing in front of the doll.

"Ba-ba!" She repeated, looking back at Nojinbu and pointing at the doll as if to say, "did you see that??".

"You're.. really good at that, you know," Vilmah finally said, wiping her eyes. "You should make it a habit to do stuff like that. Maybe you'd cheer up the rest of your guild.. but you know, seeing that made all of the other stuff I've just dealt with worth it."

She knelt behind Rosette and put her arms around the girl's waist, watching as she played with the doll.

"What do we say, Rosette?"

The little girl beamed before throwing her arms around Bloodscream's leg. "Thak-uuu!"

Bloodscream looked startled but not startled enough not to quickly bring an armored hand down to his knee, covering a rather vicious looking spike, caked with dried gore.

"Careful little one, spikey bits... and I kneed an elf in the face just this morning and who KNOWS where he'd been..."

He took a moment to show the child how to pull back on the chain.

"For the Horde!" the voice came forth.

"Sooooo...does she breathe fire or something? What's the big deal?" he asked watching the child. "She hardly looks menacing..."

The child seemed to have grasped the concept of the chain.

"Gimme pie!" came the voice.

"Lupen sucks!" "Hands off ma healer!" "Hands off ma healer!" "Gimme pie!" "For the Horde!"

Bloodscream smiled weakly at Vilmah, I can turn the volume down a smidge if it gets annoying"

Vilmah shrugged, and Rosette quickly rose the doll triumphantly into the air, running around the floor at full speed. She fell, but quickly got up again to continue running and making sound effects that sounded like "woosh!" and "keeeee!"

"I think people see a lot of themselves in her, is the problem," Vilmah sighed. "I mean, your mistress is pissed 'cuz she thinks that she won't have a normal childhood, or so she says.. and Lupen's pissed 'cuz he's -always- mad at anything that happens where he's not rap--,"

She stopped herself short, remembering the child present.

"..er.. well, Lupen's a tool. Yichimet? I'm dissapointed because he's always been so nice to me, but he's got a grudge with anything that isn't Horde. The other ones, I dunno.. I mean, she's not dangerous. She's just a little girl! I'm beginning to think that a bunch of your guys are just being viscious for the sake of looking like jerks.

"It's a little disheartening to think that they'd go so far as to threaten a three year old to make themselves look tough. Don't we have corrupted dragons, for that?"

Bloodscream shrugged.

"Well we're not called the Huggy Love Flower Gang ya know?"

"I just don't have much of a stomach for double standards."

"Oh..." he suddenly remembered handing Vilmah a small circular metal disk on a rope. "Here, keep this in a safe place, when she's older, I'll teach her how to arm the doll..."

"Yeah, but gimme a break Blood.. you'd think that a bunch of grown adults with tons of ancient weapons and mystical powers would have better things to do than want to off a three year old."

Taking the disk, Vilmah smiled and traced the rim with her fingertip. She sighed.

"The world'd be so much easier if more people would just get over themselves. I'm so tired of having to defend my beliefs for just a little shred of happiness."

Niethan eased up on the grin enough so his face would stop hurting, then calmly walked inside and away from the crowd near the door as soon as he could. Range was better, anyway, and Bloodscreams thinly-veiled comment on his weapon almost made Niethan chuckle. He'd been stabbed before in broad daylight, in the middle of a city on more than one occasion. He wasn't taking chances with this much tension, even if it -was- in Shattrath.

He left the conversation behind, though kept his ears pricked for accurate eavesdropping, and murmured to Nagendra to stop weighing down his armor. The serpent hissed a laugh, making a comment to the effect that, weighted down or not, he wasn't quick enough to stop Vilmah from burning herself.

Niethan sighed, thinking over what Vilmah had told him about Bloodscream. Nagendra slid into Niethan's skin and curled up, filling the uneasy pit in his stomach.

Malstrom stubbed out his nearly finished cigar.

It had been quite a while, and still no sign of Bloodscream.

Then again, there was no screaming, no blood coming from under the door, no sound of the clash of steel-on-steel.

He put his ear to the door. Stupid, thick wooden door. He could hear nothing. He tried to peer into one of the windows, but the shades were pulled.

He walked around the building trying to find some nook, crack or cranny that would let him peer in. Nothing dammit.

He wondered what all the fuss was about. First there were angry Grim. Then angry Sanctuary. Then angry Anaie. Yichimet. Lascivious and now Bloodscream. He wondered if he should be angry too.

He suddenly started feeling hungry again. It had been at least an hour since he had eaten anything.

He wondered if that little human was still around. He wondered if he could find mustard...

Bloodscream sat down on the floor.

"Ya... I don't much get it either. Personally I think this whole stink came out of...well I don't want to start lobbing accusations at anyone wearing your colors...It'll blow over. The child will be fine, keep her here in Shattrath and the power of the Starborn will keep her safe..."

Bloodscream looked around.

"Not quite as spikey and gore-alisicous as our digs." he commented.

"Probably safer for a child..."

Bloodscream reached into his bag and pulled out a slim wooden box adorned with shamanic runes. He opened it and steam came forth. He raised his eyebrows twice rapidly and grinned.

"You want some pie?" he asked, pulling a piping hot cherry pie from the box. Another pie just like it appeared in the box as he closed it.

"I just don't know... I think the world has gotten to be a very messed up place. The Humans... well the humans... nothing really more needs to be said does it? Every orc who lives and breathes free air has reasons enough to hate them all doesn't he?"

"Hate is a powerful force... it can consume you."

"Maybe I'm growing up, I don't know... Funny thing is, The Grim did this to me... I used to run into battle, an axe in each hand roaring death and destruction to all who dared stand in my way and I was damn good at it."

Bloodscream took a bite of pie and chewed silently, looking whistful.

"Ever since I took up the shield... it's strange. I think I've spent so much time in a defensive posture that it's bleeding into my philosophy..."

Bloodscream shifted uncomfortably. He winced and reached into his bags pulling out several weapons, each nastier looking than the other. He peered into the bag.

"How come they came make a magic bag that holds an armory of weaponry but they can't stop them from poking me in the ass when I sit?"

Vilmah giggled, sitting next to Bloodscream.

"Because nobody uses common sense. See? This is why I wear my shield lower than everyone else does," she leaned in and whispered. "To keep people from staring at my ass."

Shaking her head, she waved a dismissive hand.

"And don't give your philosophy a second guess. You're a good person, why is that wrong? I mean, I'm guilty of being vengeful. Everytime I go to Old Hillsbrad, I just want to slaughter them all.. it's bad memories, you know? I remember being caged.. but.. she's not them. She's just a little girl. She doesn't deserve their contempt. She deserves a family that loves her."

Fidgetting with her hands, she looked down.

"In the end, doesn't everyone?"

"Well... everyone except warlocks." Bloodscream said with a smile.

"Look, the way I see it... it's kodocrap anyways. Oh look at me! Grrrr! Must kill all humans! Grrrrrrr! OH REALLY? Well as soon as they put as much effort into trying to kill the humans of Cenarion and the Argent Dawn then I'll back their play to kill your kid... until then, it's a shitty double standard and I won't play."

Vilmah leaned against Bloodscream. She made sure not to be too close, it was just a friendly gesture. She hoped her sigh didn't betray her.

"I'm glad. And grateful. Thank you for coming and seeing her, and for the doll. It was real sweet of you to stop by. You should come more often! Maybe for dinner or something. I'll be sure to make pie."

Bloodscream chuckled.

"Well been so busy and well... you know I don't play well with others. Just look at the rigamarole I had to go through just to walk in... Frankly I'm shocked. I was sure I'd have to do some explaining after mentioning the doll was explosive..."

Vilmah grinned and punched Bloodscream playfully in the joint, where there was no armor.

"Stop it.. you big silly. Geezoo.." She wiggled her nose and folded her arms. "I don't know why I should believe a word you say. With that big scary tabard, you're just a villain waiting to happen, ne?"