Vilmah

Betrayal

"Rosette?"

The little girl looked up at Vilmah from behind Ruby. Vilmah smiled, relieved to see the three year old alright. Still wearing her sunhat with the bright pink flower, Rosette stumbled over the pregnant wolf and wrapped her arms around Vilmah's legs. It hadn't taken her long to warm up to the orc, especially since she treated the girl with special clothes she'd sewn herself, sparkly stickers, and specially prepared vegan meals that she hoped Nojinbu would stop spiking with bits of meat from his own food.

Leaning down to put her arms around the little girl, Vilmah held her close and was grateful for her safety.

It upset her to regret telling Kromag, her own brother, about Rosette. She'd hoped he had changed. That he would be happy for her, and maybe learn to love the chubby pink child who brought joy wherever she went. Instead, Kromag did what Vilmah never expected; he told the Grim.

Vilmah trusted many in the Grim, but there were some who she knew would delight in tormenting her, if for no other reason than their own amusement. Rosette was an innocent child, one who could no more defend herself than a newborn kitten. It was for this reason that Vilmah had Ruby brought to stay in the Sanctuary chapter in Shattrath, allong with Edmund. On the off-chance that there wasn't anyone there to watch Rosette, a gigantic pregnant wolf would give more than enough trouble for someone who would hurt her.

However, it was the sense of betrayal that made Vilmah's eyes water.

Nojinbu gave Kromag a warning. That should any harm come to Rosette, he would be held responsible. Allong with a colorful string of threats regarding what he'd do to Kromag, should that happen, he listened to what the hunter had to say, and was about as dumbfounded as Vilmah was when he relayed the message. He called the Grim his "family". He said that he was troubled by Vilmah's decision, and wanted their advice.

"I suppose his idea of family has been warped, now. He's stabbed me in the back by doing this. Didn't he know this would hurt me? Didn't he care?"

Nojinbu had no way of answering Vilmah's questions. Instead, he made sure to hold both her and Rosette extra close that night, with Ruby at the foot of their bed, and Edmund by the door.

((The Grim are already concidered KOS to the Tears of the Phoenix, I'd hate to think something would happen to make things worse. - Mynikens))

Lovely lay in a bed in Silvermoon, still recovering from the previous night.

The day had started well, but when Kromag had begun talking about the child, Lovely decided to take a stand. Vilmah was her friend, but an innocent child being harmed was out of the question. Kromag and Lovely had gone back and forth several times arguing over what was right and wrong regarding humanity, and for once in her life Lovely stood her ground, feeling very strongly about the issue.

Eventually, it came to pass last evening that Lovely was asked to meet Lascivious, the leader of The Grim, in Razor Hill. Lovely knew she was probably going to be kicked out of the guild, but she would not back down.

What Lovely didn't know was that Anaie, sister of Syreena, was waiting for her in Razor Hill. Anaie said "Your life for the child's life" and proceeded to attack.

Lovely felt the blades enter her back, and the poison crippled her instantly. Again and again the rogue stabbed her, but rather than fight back, Lovely struggled to stand and face the blades with honor. Eventually, she fell, dying in a pool of her own blood.

Lascivious came to the scene, angered that Anaie had attacked Lovely when she was not ordered to. She, along with Orugasa, carried Lovely into the inn and stopped her bleeding. Orugasa conjured a totem to get rid of the poison, and the paladin was saved.

Lovely was angered...How could she have followed the Grim when they would hurt the innocent? Or want to hurt the innocent? When Lascivious stripped her of her rank and membership, she didn't flinch.

Lascivious also kicked Anaie out of the guild for lying and disobedience. Of course, Anaie would be able to return later, but Lovely knew at that moment she could never go back. She was not right for the Grim...She wanted peace and love, and happiness...and healing.

Gorvena and Orugasa comforted Lovely. They were still her friends, and as far as she knew they always would be.

But Vilmah...Lovely's sacrifice for Vilmah and the child had surprised her even as she did it. She had betrayed the Grim in a way....but for now the child was safe, and she knew she would never betray Sanctuary....

Kromag walked slowly through the Shattrah city lower sections. His mind was full of confusion, hate, sorrow, pain.

His sister had betrayed the horde, the orcs, no open war was declared but with how many alliance always attacked it was obvious that both sides could not live in harmony. Kromag was so very confused at why Vil would adopt a human child, so he sought out the Grim for answers. It was his family, they believed as he did. They saw the threat that the alliance really was, why could not his sister?

Looking about Kromag realized he was not far from his sisters little place they had here.

"I will get answers, I am sick and tired of this. My sister will tell me whats going on." Kromag's voice was cold and hurt. "Vilmah! I am coming prepare yourself!" His voice carried over the normal bustle of activity in the lower section. Moving on with a strong will he began his search for Vilmah.

Shattrath was her favorite city, and Vilmah felt no sense of awkwardness when she ventured through it, with Rosette by her side. Nojinbu had told her to be careful, to take precautions. Even in a place surrounded by the powerful draenai guards and their gigantic elekks, there was the danger of being ambushed by a rogue and not having the ability to stop them in time. It was for this reason that Rosette rode on Edmund, with Vilmah walking beside her, armed to the teeth, as if she were about to single handedly raid Kharazan.

Rosette made little hopping motions on Edmund's back, which the wolf took to mean he should speed up. Vilmah kept a steady hand on his spiky collar, which kept him in line. Mostly. She was grateful that he didn't look as fierce as most riding wolves, rather, he was fluffy and had a wider jaw, resembling a Malamute more than a wolf. Patting him, she and Rosette made their way to the World's End Tavern, where they would pick up Nojinbu (or Ji-ji, as Rosette had taken to calling him) a weekly "present" that kept him from getting too irritable. In common, Rosette called it his "special drink".

That was when she heard the familliar voice. A loud and rather angry sounding orc, who immidiately caused Edmund to flinch. Rosette noticed Vilmah's attention shift from her dog, and leand over to tug on the orc's ponytail. Vilmah's face went nearly white. "..aw geez."

He saw her, the animal, and the human child. Kromag watched from a crowed of others so as best to hide himself. Watching the way his sister held the wolf, the way she stood ready to protect the child from all. Pushing his way clear of the crowed Kromag walked straight over to Vilmah.

"It is time you and I had a very long talk little sister." Kromag's voice was cold and bitter, their was no love. His eyes looked empty and hollow, almost dead.

"We can talk here or elsewhere, either way it matters not. We are going to speak and no force in this realm will stop this from happening." The look Kromag gave while speaking left no room for debate. His mind was set, and this was going to take place.

"Hey," Vilmah said, her face stern. It was an unusual face for the orc, one Kromag had likeley never seen before. Her brow furrowed, her eyes narrowed, her hands balled into fists, she was a warrior at last. A miniature one, anyway. "..calm down. You're scaring my kid."

Beside her, Rosette looked at Kromag with one wideley opened eye. Her other was missing, hidden partially beneath the hat she wore. That side of her face was drastically different from the other, the skin deformed from a burn scar that travelled halfway down her neck. Lowering herself slightly, the little girl felt Kromag's anger, even if she didn't understand his words. One look to "Vi-vi", and she knew that there would be trouble. She'd never seen Vi-vi so angry, before.

"I don't mind talking," she said calmly. "As long as it's civil. I was taking Rosette and Edmund for a walk."

"Very well then, I will walk with the two of you. We can speak as we walk, and it will be civil little sister." Kromag stepped in beside Vilmah, and began to walk with them. Kromag was not all that comfortable with the human child looking at him the way she did. But she did not seem to be any kind of threat.

Kro looked about the city as he quietly spoke to his sibling, "Why are you doing this Vilmah? Why would you take on a human instead of an orc or troll?" Kromag's voice was kept low enough so the child could not hear, but also because it hurt him to know his sister would cling to the enemy so easily.

"I didn't choose her," Vilmah replied calmly, her face softening. "She chose us."

Walking calmly, they approached the World's End Tavern. Vilmah made Edmund stop outside, and picked up Rosette from his back. Placing the girl down in front of one of the barmaids, she pat her on the head, signalling her to speak common to the draenai.

"Two dozen rum for Ji-ji's special drink, please," she said shyly, using one hand to pull down on her hat, just far enough so that it covered her scar.

With an amused smile, the barmaid nodded and went to the back room for Nojinbu's usual order. Vilmah turned back to Kromag, holding Rosette's hand. "Kids aren't like pets, Kromag. You don't pick them because you like their color. They have to know that they're safe, and loved. Rosette went to Nojinbu because she saw that they were alike. She was loneley, and it was doubtful that anyone would adopt her. Nojin, though.. he loved her as soon as he saw her. I did, too. She reminded me of myself."

Picking up the three year old, Vilmah let her face Kromag.

"Look at her, big brother. Look at face and tell me that that's the face of our enemy."

Looking at the child Kromag tried to see the beast within, he tried very hard to keep the ice covering his heart. As he looked on he noticed the child always trying to hide the scars.

Looking to Vilmah he replied gently, "May I take her and hold her a moment? You have my word I will not harm her."

Vilmah's face paled. There were so many reasons she should say no, and so many reasons she should say yes. She could see Niethan right now, glaring at her for being a complete hypocrite if she let Kromag hold Rosette. Then she thought about her own beliefs, her own ideas of mercy and love, and giving people second chances. Kromag never mentioned hurting her child himself, as far as she knew, he didn't intend on harming her. If she said no, it could sour her relationship with her brother forever. If she said yes.. how could she explain to Nojinbu if something happened to her?

She decided that it wasn't her decision to make.

"Rosette is afraid of you, Kromag. If you can change her mind, then yes."

Smiling slightly Kromag looked at the girl as best he could. "Rosette I wish to put you on that table right there." Kromag pointed to a nearby empty table, "I want you to stand up straight and tall so that I may look you over. Will you allow me this honor?" Though his voice was deep, their was no malice, no hate. Only the softness he reserved for his family or his close friends.

((Big boy, you had your chance at this love... but now I'm miffed by your namecalling and demand a sacrifice of flowers in my honor.))

She couldn't understand most of his words, but the look of anxiousness that Vi-vi gave let Rosette know that this big green person was trying to be nice, and Vi-vi wanted them to get allong. She nodded at him, which Vilmah took as a signal of her courage. Rosette smiled, knowing she made Vi-vi proud.

With more than a little nervousness, Vilmah placed Rosette on one of the tables. Her hands lingered on the little girl's waist, but there she stood, in one of the prettier dresses Vilmah had sewn for her, her hands behind her back. Rosette did her best to look ahead without hiding her scars. She thought of Ji-ji, and how proud he looked whenever he stood up tall, and imagined herself to be just like him now. She even put her fingers together in such a way that it made her feel she had only three.

With a hand that refused to leave her, Vilmah patted Rosette's shoulder. "There's a good girl," she said gently.

Kromag stepped forward and looked the girl up and down. Checking her over as he might look at one of his pets. Reaching up slowly he placed his hand near her hat.

"May I remove the sunhat please? It is important for me to see all of your face." Kromag tried to smile a little, something that was actually a little scary considering all those teeth he has.

Rosette's hands immidiately went up for her hat, when Kromag touched it. She could tell he was asking her to remove it, which made her blush with embarassment. Turning to Vilmah, she looked at her with questioning eyes, as if asking what she should do.

Vilmah smiled reassuringly at her. "You can take it off, it's alright."

Piecing together her words, Rosette turned back to Kromag. He was big and scary looking, but no more than Ji-ji. He also looked familliar, and she started to see a similarity in the way his nose and lips were shaped that were reminiscent of Vi-vi's. With her one eye still locked on the big green man, she pulled off her hat and held it in front of her.

The scar covered half of her neck and face, and receeded into her hair to create a large bald spot. On that side, her ear was slightly crumpled and deformed from fire damage. The place where her eye had once been was not permenantly closed, eyebrow and eyelashes singed away. The corner of her mouth was also somewhat stretched.

"He just wanted to see how pretty you are," Vilmah said cheerfully.