Malebrignon

How I Role (A Dissertation on Ninja RP.)

I’ve practiced a somewhat unorthodox form of RP since I rolled Malebrignon on the first day of Twisting Nether’s operation. It is a light-hearted form of “heavy” roleplay. The basic premise, which I often refer to as Ninja RP, is that everything can be roleplayed. All the game mechanics, including repetitious death and corpse-camping, can be treated as in-character concepts. Nothing requires storylines or events. You just choose to “be” your character. Here are some “rules” of Ninja RP.

--- Treat everything said in /say as IC, even when it’s obviously OOC. If it’s too OOC for you to Role with, like “I just saw Spider Man 3. MJ dies at the end!”, well, that person would go on my ignore list. (That's not a SM3 spoiler. It's an example.)

--- Do not /ignore other roleplayers no matter how much you don’t like them. If they are making an effort to be a character on the server and not just another “lawl RP” asshat, then you cannot pretend they don’t exist.

--- Don’t tell other people how to RP. Just “role” with it. I hate seeing “lol” and “zomg” come out of RP’rs even if it’s OOC, but the fact is those words are said so much in our online society that you can simply treat them as words. “Lol” means something was funny to that person and you can react accordingly instead of sending them a tell saying {{“Listen, guy, LOL is not RP.”}}

--- RP Everything. I can’t say it enough. What the hell do you mean that raid symbols break your immersion? I don’t know anything about raid symbols. I carry a box of enchanted gems which create magical markings above our targets so it’s easier to delineate who we should attack and in what order. If you don’t want me to use them, tough. I haven’t invested all this time, money, and research into enchanting for nothing!

--- Acknowledge that the realm does not revolve around YOU. It revolves around ME! Well, not really, but not you either. There’s a good chance that nobody read your story/poem/art/character bio or is aware of your current plotline if you have one going. It is up to YOU to get them involved and bring them up to speed if necessary. It’s also up to you to acknowledge their own storylines if you want them involved in yours. This one is just good advice.

--- You don’t always need a storyline. It really is okay to just “be”. Brig’s current “storyline” involves little more than shaping up his troops and plundering Medivh’s tower. I don’t need a driving goal past that. I am always in-character.

--- RP is something you do while actually playing the game. This is the one that most people don’t seem to like. I know a huge amount of RP’rs that seem to think RP is something you only do in a town, at an event, or at other times and locations that don’t involve fighting. Is it really that hard to be in-character AND play the game? Now, this does not mean you shouldn’t stop for a swim and maybe some sunbathing while you visit with friends in Booty Bay, but it does mean that you shouldn’t go OOC the moment you put on your battle gear and leave town.

--- RP Everything. I’ll say it again. Don’t take it to OOC until you just can’t conceive of RP reasoning anymore. Everything can be RP’d with a bit of creativity. It really can. Abric can show you the way on this one. Ask him to find time to include you in one of his groups and watch the show. It will give you “#1 you love it happy day joy”.

--- If you’ve just plain gotta be OOC, there’s always Teamspeak/Vent. Then you can have the best of both worlds. You can RP in /p or /ra and keep your OOC chatter to TS. Unless, of course, someone has to be a ninny and won’t use their microphone. You know who you are.

--- Set RP rules if you gotta. Chances are, I’ll stay IC for the most part even if you tell me that party/raid chat is OOC, but it never hurts to tell people up front. Unless it’s in /say or /y, I don’t recommend assuming something is IC. Tells and whispers are much the same. The Ninja will treat everything said to them as IC unless it’s declared otherwise. (( Put it in the brackets, dammit.))

--- Learn to Play. There are hundreds of other outlets for text-based RP if that's really all you are interested in doing. If you've been level 70 for three months and are still wearing level 62 greens.... you need to play the game. Don't make your friends carry you along, and they will if they love to RP with you. Ask questions. Keep it IC if you can; I could totally have an IC discussion about shadowpriest spell rotations in raiding. Take it to OOC if you need to. Don't tell me you're a great and powerful wizard when your average DPS is 135.

--- Play the Game. Don't tell me "well, my character wouldn't do that". Find a damn reason to do it. Work with your RP buddies to make it happen. Use a little OOC arrangement if you have to do so. Don't short-change your WoW experience because "I can't do that IC." RP is all about creativity; create a reason you CAN do that. It's really that simple. I spent over a year saying "Raiding isn't RP. You can't RP raids." and all sorts of other stupid crap like that. I realized, eventually, that you can do anything you want in the game and RP it.

I’m sure I’ll edit this to add some more ideas at some point, but this is a good start and I’d love to hear what others think of this. It might also help some of you understand why I can be kinda difficult to deal with. I do my best to adapt to others and hope they’ll do the same for me. A good majority of the folks I tend to talk to in-game operate under these guidelines, too. At least, I pretend that they do.

There really is no point to this posting other than to make you read my preferred method of RP. I’ve done stricter, storyline-driven “heavy RP” before, but it got too involved and depressing at times. It bled into real life. This is a great way to RP and let it start and stop with the game itself. Hope someone finds something here useful. If nothing else, tell me how you role!

• Like 2

*Raids Mort with pitchfork and torch.*

Sticky, the masses demand it!

... Good post Male, this is something everyone, new and old RPers should read.

Most of my RP friends talk to me OOC in whispers.. but there's maybe two or three who talk to me IC in whispers (via hearthstone I guess) and it confuses and embarasses me.. ._.

If shadow doesn't have the proper brackets around his typing: ((- -)) he is in character. Same goes for whispers, but I usualy put them in quotes to signify that it's my character talking.

If shadow doesn't have the proper brackets around his typing: ((- -)) he is in character. Same goes for whispers, but I usualy put them in quotes to signify that it's my character talking.

Same here, for the most part.

Also, for some reason it bugs me when I see someone in General chat saying "Hey I'm looking to RP. Anyone want to RP with me?"

That really bothers me. Its good to advertise yourself as an RPer, but rather than spam general, just toggle walk on and wander around Silvermoon or something. Chances are, you'll bump into other RPers and you can BS an excuse to talk to them.

I am an RP noob. Is it proper to whisper someone OOCly to ask if they whisper ICly? >>

Of course! I do it all the time if there is some doubt whether what was said was IC or OOC. Generally though, like 'brig, I pretty much always assume what is said to me is IC, and almost everything I say in game is also IC. The only real exceptions are when I am talking OOC to a few select people for a specific reason, and those people pretty much always know when its OOC.

Hell, I IC speak to the NPC's at times, which aggrevates the non-RP griefers to no end! " Dude! WTF? He's an NCP, he ain't going to answer you! " To which I usually just /blink at them, then turn back to the NPC and say something like " some people's children.." or " forgive their rudeness..", or some other sarcastic comment.

This is awesome, brig!

I'm more of a situational rper, but thats -mostly- because the alliance on the whole seem to be situational rpers. If I'm in a group, I usualy ALWAYS limit my first handful of statements in character, to gague the group. If they talk about sports, I talk about my brats.. if they respond in turn (like my run with a full group of IFR people!) I stay in character and chitchat about Gralin and scratch my feathers/antlers etc etc.

Its usually only because, I learned how to roleplay in a game where if they caught you talking ooc outside of whispers and brackets, you were docked exp, brought to the "unknown" and reprimanded, or even suspended for a length of time, depending on the severity of the offense. WoW Rping is player-enforced, and while I try to enforce it, I'm just not as rough and tough as the rest of ya'll

I never ooc in /say though, nor in /yell. I tend to ignore people who are ooc in /say /yell, or roleplay around their ooc comments as if they're just off their rocker ;p

Hell, I IC speak to the NPC's at times, which aggrevates the non-RP griefers to no end! " Dude! WTF? He's an NCP, he ain't going to answer you! " To which I usually just /blink at them, then turn back to the NPC and say something like " some people's children.." or " forgive their rudeness..", or some other sarcastic comment.

I do that too, Skafloc! I have sat and talked to MaeMae's "Mother" for a good solid two and a half hours once, to the horror of non-rpers, who were like "... she's an npc!" My response, "Don't speak in such language in front of my mother! Its rude and vile! Have some shame!"

If you're consistent enough with your Ninja RP, you can get even non-RPers to "play along." I'm not sure if they do it without their tongue in their cheek, but I've totally worn people down to where they respond to me "IC" since it's impossible to escape my IC statements. =) And other people I think are sometimes just impressed that there's actual RP-ers on the server (sometimes we're hard to find); really, Ninja RP is the best way to increase the RP atmosphere on the server. RP only breaks down when you do.

I find what also helps me is that if I want to play WoW, and I am just not in the mood to RP, I'll log on to my old server to play one of those characters with some other non-RP friends. Helps me keep in touch with them and give me a break if my brain is too fried to RP (which normally means I'm too fried to do anything decent anyways).

*Raids Mort with pitchfork and torch.*

Sticky, the masses demand it!

... Good post Male, this is something everyone, new and old RPers should read.

After reading it, I was thinking about doing that before you asked. But I guess I have to now. ^^

This is how I choose to do it usually. I don't care for the storylines and all that sillyness that doesn't have to do with in-game matters. That takes way too much time and effort. I just like to take what blizzard gives us and put my nastly little blood elf spin on it. It is just too much fun calling Nicoleta a drunken whore!

I approve of this thread. Honestly, I try to go about things the same way. Usually I'm lazy and don't start things unless someone else goes first, but I do like to keep things IC. To my knowledge, I have *never* gone OOC in /s or /y, and never intend to. I also heartily agree with the idea of using Vent for OOC so that all typing can be kept IC. Now I just need to start running instances with RPers besides Taknar ... I mean, Citadel are a bunch of great people, but the RP tends towards the silly, rather than the immersive. Grow some attitudes, people! *wink*

Hear frickin' hear!

I very rarely participate in RP storylines unless I'm asked to by the writer -- mostly because I don't have a whole lot of RL time to stay caught up with it (work, school, kids, my own non-WoW creative efforts.) And just like the OP I find that a lot of RPers confine their RP to social settings and forum-based storylines and whatnot. I can't really get into that. So I feed the RP Jonez by doing everything in-game in-character... as much as possible.

There are some in-game conventions I don't roleplay -- death is one of them. But I totally agree with Malebrignon on everything else... live the game!

Another thing I'm willing to RP is contact with GMs. Without fail I will report something and not get a response when I'm on any of my characters except for Keems. Keems has been hounded by these GMs and she often speaks with them at length. So she thinks they are demi-gods with amazing powers that can manifest themselves into the world and strike at any time.

She's starting to get paranoid about them. She even invited them to give Lecture at Silvermoon University, but the GM politely declined. The offer still stands. Eventually! Eventually!

So I posted that to guild chat and then realised there are others who might consider game mechanics such as GMs as non-immersive and talking about them IC might ruin their experience. But you can't always cater to the RP Elite. Sometimes you gotta have a bit of fun.

The last GM approached me with "Do you have time to speak to me about this issue?"

I responded with, "Theoretically," which anyone who talks to Q enough might know as one of his more annoying instant non-answers.

It was several minutes before they finally came back with, "I'm sorry. Your response confused me."

Har. The rest of the conversation was not interesting, but it amused me that I got that reaction, same as I get from anyone else I give that answer, heh. And at least they weren't a gnome riding up to me on a raptor. That one just weirded me out. GMs are good to practice RP on. They already like you because you're paying their salary.

I thought most GM's were unpaid volunteers.

Maybe that's why WoW GM's are so over-serious about their job, yet they still manage to make very obvious, and very big fuck-ups.

She's starting to get paranoid about them. She even invited them to give Lecture at Silvermoon University, but the GM politely declined. The offer still stands. Eventually! Eventually!

n.

omg!! thats hilarious, I could see someone rping that..

Like .. maybe a crazy gnome. Thats awsome. I do love the gms though .

The gnome rocks back and fourth smelling heavy of some fourm of acholic substance.

"You know THEY can hear us all the time .. yepyepallthetimealwayslistening!!""

"who?"

"GMS! thats who! don'tyouknowtheiranomnipotentbeingswatchingusmakeeveryonemoveiseenthemihave! they call them selves GMS which is short for Gignoramus Mansifestations!"

The gnomes left eye twitches as he rambles off on GMS.

There is one GM who manifests himself into a mechanical squirrel. He converses about what he needs to do by spewing out long strings of paper that say what you need to talk about. We RP'd for a good hour or so.

Another who I think has moved on because I haven't got him in ages... who has an amazingly powerful magic staff and is a wizard of great intelligence, but is a bit forgetful. Another one that I ended up RPing with for awhile.

There is one GM who manifests himself into a mechanical squirrel. He converses about what he needs to do by spewing out long strings of paper that say what you need to talk about. We RP'd for a good hour or so.

Another who I think has moved on because I haven't got him in ages... who has an amazingly powerful magic staff and is a wizard of great intelligence, but is a bit forgetful. Another one that I ended up RPing with for awhile.

and now we know why we can't get our tickets answered.