Sign in to follow this  
Jemmalass

Gone Fishin'

Jemm sat in the silent tavern adjusting his fishing pole for the twentieth time. He looked up.

Niethan and Vilmah were both so busy lately. He'd often just sit in the tavern alone, as he did before he really knew them that well, except this time there was a feeling of emptiness...

He sighed, he had wanted to go on this fishing trip for awhile but, Vilmah was busy with Nojinbu and Niethan was... never really there.

He adjusted his fishing pole, again. A frown grew on his face. He wasn't going to let them get him down. They wouldn't be happy about him being like this either. He just had to make some new friends.

<cr-cr-crank>

'Hmm... fishing....'

He looked at his fishing pole, his previous one had been destroyed by a very large pink bird. Jemmalass blinked.

'oh right... hmm... what was her name?'

He'd met another Troll Warrior that day whom seemed almost as interested in fishing as he was but...

'Vhakti?... yes... that sounds right...'

He ruflled into his bag and pulled out some parchment and began to write a letter:

Fellow Troll, Warrior, and Fisherman;

Seems my friends have ditched me on a fishing trip we'd planned and I remember you saying you enjoyed fishing as well. Got room for yah if you're interested in coming. Reply to me as quickly as you can, can't wait here forever.

~Jemmalass Rahdaka

Jemmalass folded the paper before stepping outside and slipping it into the nearby mailbox.

Vhakti was busy in the Basin. She was -always- busy in the Basin. Something about fighting the Alliance in Arathi made her giddy, especially whens she used her weapons to write her name into the bodies of gnomes. They were small, so it took extra special finesse. When the fight was finally over, she left the Basin with the rest of the Horde. A boy ran up to her with a letter.

"Miss Vhakti?" He asked. It was hard to tell her gender, sometimes. Vhakti always wore her helmet, and heavy plate armor. "This came for you."

She leaned over and took a letter from the boy. Smiling as she opened it, the trolless read the note and blinked a few times. Fishing? That was a -great- idea! Who wouldn't want to go fishing??

"Come back 'ere," she said to the boy, fishing a pen from her pocket and writing a response on the other side of the letter, then stuffing it back into the envalope. "Take 'dis to be mailed. T'anks."

The boy nodded and ran off. Vhakti smiled to herself, looking forward to a day off.

Sounds like fun! I'll meet you in Orgrimmar and we'll go wherever you like.

--Vhakti

Jemmalass smiled at the response and wrote a short reply.

Meet me by the dock in the Valley of Honor around noon.

-Jemm

He handed it to the mail carrier before heading outside and sliding onto his war raptor and jetted towards the Zepplin Tower.

- - -

Jemmalass leaned heavily on a pole in Orgrimmar, adjusting his fishing pole idely. He was dressed in his casual overalls and deckhand's shirt, his lucky fishing hat tipped over his eyes slightly.

Vhakti arrived at the Valley of Honor on Maggie, her magenta raptor. She decided on not wearing her helmet for once, instead opting to let her bright magenta hair out. It was fairly messy, mostly from not being washed after a week or so in the Basin. Instead of her usual armor, she had on a pair of shorts and a deckhands shirt. One of Nat Pagle's best fishing rods was strapped to her back, and an assortment of lures and jigs jingled about in her tackle box at Maggie's flank.

She spotted Jemmalass at the dock, and waved at him.

"Yoo hoo!" She called, waving her hand. Vhakti rode up to him, splashing through the little pond in the Valley of Honor. and getting the bottoms of her shorts wet.

"hmm?" Jemmalass looked up and smiled broadly.

"Oh good. You're here." Jemmalass spoke in troll. He had grown tired of people asking him to repeat himself in the tavern and it was nice to be able to use his native tongue. He stood up slowly and looked over Vhakti.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're probably as obessed with fishing as I am." He chuckled lightly.

Jemmalass' raptor walked up to his master and stood next to him obediently without even having to be called. Jemmalass slipped onto his raptor.

"Okay. So this is no ordinary fishing trip. I'm making a business selling fish from all over Azeroth and Outland. Anyway, first stop. Sen'jin village."

"Sounds like fun!" She said cheerfully. "And I'm not 'obsessed', but I'm from Sen'jin, and my whole family were fishermen. Don't get enough time to be able to do it usually, though. Too busy fighting."

She followed him to Sen'jin, and a feeling of dread crept over her. Vhakti hadn't been to Sen'jin since she was told of her father's passing. She tried to keep her cheerful smile as they rode through Durotar.

"So where'r you from?" She asked casually.

"Hmm? Oh... an island off the coast of Stranglethorn. It's kinda far out there. Not many people know about it... and it's not like anyone lives there anymore." Jemmalass replied, looking at the road ahead of him.

"My father taught me how to fish when I was very young and I've been in love with it ever since then. I find it very relaxing and a nice escape." Jemmalass continued his nose gave a little twitch.

"And I know how you feel about the fighting thing... I'm a mercenary by trade and one of the Bosses in my Guild. So I rarely have time to set up a fishing trip like this."

"Mercinary?" Vhakti said the word distastefully. "Huh.. well, guess people have to make a living somehow. I am a soldier for the Horde, first and foremost. Just like my father wanted, for his son."

She smirked.

"Too bad he got me, instead. You Darkspear, then? That's what I am, like most of us Horde. I've seen some other tribes out here, though. Kinda weird seeing us all get allong, you know? I've seen Sandfury, Gundraki, Mossflayer, all kinds of weird tribes walking around Orgrimmar. You'd think they wouldn't be able to get very far, but what the heck do I know."

Vhakti ran a hand through her hair.

"What kinda fish we getting, anyway?"

"I am a Skullsplitter and apparently half dark troll. My father was a higher up in the horde military and he wanted me to be a soldier as well. I showed too much kindness and I eventually had to kill him when he attempted to murder my brother. I guess I didn't turn out how he wanted afterall." Jemmalass said nonchalantly.

"And Smallfish. There are none in Outland and they are my favorite fish, I ate alot of 'em when I was younger. If they don't sell I can always use 'em as a reminder of my younger days." He spoke as they arrived at Sin'jin.

"Well, I hope you don't think less of me. Being a mercenary and non-Darkspear." He said with a broad smile his raptor had slowed to a stop.

Vhakti shrugged, hopping off of Maggie and removing her fishing tackle. The sun was high enough to allow the distinct shine of Vhakti's sweat to gleam off of her face and shoulders. It was hot, and she loved it hot. The sections of her hair not laden with buildup from fighting blew in the breeze like pink ribbons.

"Heck, I don't care. Troll's a troll.. long as you don't try to eat me, we'll be fine!" She added with a grin, grabbing Maggie's reigns and walking the raptor alongside Jemmalass.

Jemmalass' raptor turned and trotted over to the beach near by and Jemm slipped off, stepping into the water he sighed pulled out his fishing pole. He looked out at the water for a moment before casting a line.

"It's been awhile since i've been here.... My brother and I lived here for a bit... I used to fish for some of the older trolls." He slowly reeled his line in, a small trace over the lapping waves.

"You have any family?"

She sat down beside him, and baited her hook.

"Yeah, well.. I got cousins, and some aunts. My dad just passed away a few weeks ago, but," she smiled sadly. "It's alright. He had a good run. I still miss him, though."

Vhakti cast out her line, a little wooden bobber floating in the water ahead. Vhakti put her feet in the water and focused on her pole. She whispered quietly.

"I like to sit real still and sometimes, I can feel the fish nibbling on the bait. Like to pretend I can talk to 'em, so I say, 'come one, fishy.. here, fishy fishy fishy, it's a tasty treat for you..', and sometimes it works. Like..."

She closed her eyes, and began reeling in.

"Like now!"

Jemmalass chuckled and gave his reel a sharp tug and reeled quickly, a fish popping out of the water.

"You're a crazy one, aren'tcha?" He laughed as he removed the from from the hook and dropped it into a wooden bucket he'd removed from his raptors saddle.

Vhakti reeled in a smallfish, which flapped about at the end of her hook. She took it by the gills and held it up, looking at the shiny scales.

"Who you calling crazy? I just love my little fishies.."

She gave the smallfish a kiss before putting it into the bucket, and re-baiting her hook.

"Maybe one day I'll catch the golden fishy that grants wishes."

"Yes!"

Vhakti sent out her lure again, and watched it bob.

"There was once a troll who was fishing, and he found a golden fish. The fish said, 'please don't kill me and I'll grand you any wish you like'! So the fisherman said he would set him free, if the fish gave him and his wife a nice hut with two new raptors. When he went home, his wife was happy, and asked where the stuff came from. So he told her about the fish, and she got angry and said, 'you should have asked for a big palace! Not some silly hut; go back and ask the fish for a palace!"

Vhakti giggled.

"So, he went back and caught the fish again. He said, 'oh little fish, my wife is not happy. Please, give us a palace?' And since the fish saw how kind the troll was, he gave her a palace. Well, he got home and his wife still wasn't happy. 'How can I live in a palace without servants?' So he went back and asked the fish for servants, and the little golden fish gave him twenty gnomes to do his wife's bidding. Then of course, she got angry again, because she had no gold to buy new clothes! So he asked the fish again, and it was given.

"This went on and on until his wife became the richest trolless in the world. Then one day she realizd, she was not happy still. So she told her husband, 'go and catch that fish. If I eat it, I will have his power.' So her husband caught the little golden fish, but he couldn't bring himself to kill it. Instead, he gave his wife another fish. She ate it, and when she did, all of her riches vanished. The troll's wife couldn't find her husband anywhere, but some say that he was invited to live with the little golden fish in his big palace, and was never happier."

Vhakti yawned, looking out at the water.

"What would you wish for?"

Jemmalass looked out at the water in silence listening to the story, watching his lure bob.

He paused in thought.

"I'm not sure.... there's alot of things that I wish hadn't happened... I don't know if I'd wish for something in particular...."Jemmalass scracthed his nose lightly before reeling in another fish.

"I guess I'd wish for a simple life, on a simple island, as a simple fisherman... hmm... a wife ... maybe two kids. Not have to worry about a war or money. Just sit on the beach and fish..." Jemmalass kicked some sand lightly before throwing another line into the water.

Vhakti reeled in her bobber, and checked her bait. Stolen. She rebaited it, nodding.

"That doesn't sound so bad. I'd probably want the same. Not that I don't like fighting, sometimes.. maybe I'd wish for a husband that'd give me plenty of fight. I'd teach my kids to wrestle, now -that- would be great."

She smiled at the thought.

"Of course, a little friend for Maggie would be nice too. Maybe one of those huge war raptors to help me out in my armor. Poor thing gets winded, as heavy as I've gotten from all that metal."

"heh. I'd feel sorry for that Troll. Sounds like he'd have his hands full." Jemmalass chuckled dropping another fish in the bucket and tossing another line. He turned to look at his raptor who looked lazily back at him.

"I've never been able to name my raptor... I don't know why. Generally, I don't need to call for him or whistle, he always seem to know what I'm thinking or something..." The raptor sniffed the air, looking at the bucket of fish before turning and knawing at it's leg lightly to scratch an itch.

"Maggie's been my friend since before I knew how to ride her," she said, smiling at the colorful raptor. "She was one of my dad's raptor's babies. I might have been a hunter with her, if I never joined the army. Good thing she's big enough to ride."

Reeling in another fish, Vhakti gave it a kiss for luck and tossed it into the bucket. She rebaited and cst out the lure, once again.

"And what do you mean, feel sorry? I'd make a guy pretty happy, I think. I've got plenty of girly skills. I just don't like to use them.." She shrugged. "Eh, who cares.. no time for that, anyway. Too much fighting to be done."

"Nah, I meant the part about wanting a husband that gave you alot of fight." Jemmalass chuckled. "Sounds like a handful is all."

Jemmalass dropped another fish in the back and nodded.

"Okay, I think that's enough smallfish. Think it's time to head on over to Ashenvale."

"Psh, nothing wrong with a little fighting. Wrestling is fun, and it's good for the reflexes."

She stood up and stretched, putting away her fishing tackle and beckining Maggie over with a whistle. Maggie responded by chirping slightly, and trotted over. Vhakti slung her pole over her shoulder, and secured her tackle box to Maggie's left flank.

"Didn't you ever wrestle as a kid?"

"Of course. I was a real trouble maker. I'd wrestle down neighborhood bullies who were picking on my friends." Jemmalass spoke as he slid on to his raptor after wrapping the fish up and placing them into his bag.

"But my father never really approved. He said that wrestling was a low way of fighting and it was never the true way to fight." His raptor walked in a short circle before looking north.

"He always said that when you fight you must act like it's your last and fight until either your opponent or yourself stop breathing... He said there was no such thing as play fighting or fighting for sport. Just fighting to kill." Jemmalass adjusted the bag on the saddle.

"I don't believe a word of it but, it makes me wonder sometimes if that was the way he had always been or if it's an attitude you gain with age..." the raptor kicked off the ground and began to trod northward towards Razor Hill.

Vhakti followed him, Maggie trotting fast to catch up to Jemmalass' raptor. She stuck her tongue out, at the thought of what his father had said.

"Well, my dad told me that wrestling is good exersize. Real fighting, well, you only do that when you absolutely need to. Like against the Alliance. Fighting for sport is just that.. a sport! For fun, you know? And it's always fun to practice with your friends, but nobody's been able to beat me yet."

She smirked.

"I'll be the one person I fall in love with will be able to beat me in wrestling. Now -that- would be impressive."

"You don't look to tough to take down. I've been known to wrestle down several opponents at once. I'd challenge yah since yah talk big but, I wouldn't want yah fallin' in love with me." Jemmalass chuckled as they ran through Razor Hill.