Sign in to follow this  
Thaena

Voyager

Stranglethorn sweltered under a late afternoon sun. The cooling effects of an early rainstorm had transformed into a clinging damp that made the heat nearly unbearable. Thaena tugged at the purple and gold tunic that she wore over her simple leathers and then mopped sweat from her forehead with one hand. Behind her she could hear Ivymoon collecting the crystalized basilisk scales from the beast they had just killed. The skrtch skrtch noise of the blade against the scales set Thaena's teeth on edge and a feeling of discontent marred the afternoon. The druid finished her task and strode over to Thaena, looking as much a part of the jungle as the wild creatures. It was so odd for Thaena to see her friend in her natural form, she had to continually remind herself that the great shadowy cat and the wild haired elf were one in the same.

They moved on through the jungle, stopping to repeat the harvesting process half a dozen times as they edged their way towards the ocean. After a time, a short breeze worked its way through the underbrush, rustling the fronds at their feet. Thaena could hear the voices in the wind as they whispered through the trees, nonsense babble mostly. It disturbed her. Only recently had she put a face to the problem that had been nagging at her waking thoughts, and the wind here amplified her feeling of despair.

"Kal'moria is troubled, why?" Ivymoon's voice made Thaena jump. She shook her head sadly at her friend.

"I can hear the wind, it speaks.. but it does not speak to me." she frowned deeply. "Even now it speaks of me, but not to me.. it calls me stranger, alien, unknown. I do not know why this is. On Draenor the spirits of the elements would speak to me of their own accord, here they only speak to me if I address them first. I find it upsetting."

"They don't like you?" the druid touched her on the arm gently.

"No.." Thaena sighed. "I do not think that they would speak to me at all if they were hostile.. but.. they do not trust me. And the ancestral spirits that I remember conversing with on Draenor have not made their presence known to me at all." Thaena smiled slightly at the druid. "Perhaps what is most upsetting is that although I have been able to touch on the power of the ancients and the elements, using it it has been difficult. More so than I believe it should be." At this the druid looked surprised, but stayed silent accepting her friend's pain as something she could not fix. They stood there for a long time, listening to the voice of the wind before continuing on their trek through the jungle.

Days later Thaena stepped off the creaking deck of the goblin vessel and onto the equally creeky dock of Ratchet. She covered her face and mouth with a long silken scarf, blocking out the red granules of sand that blew down off the barrens. In her hand she held a crumpled and torn map. Before her stretched miles of grassy plains and lush oasis drenched in blues and purples by the huge moon overhead. A sleepy goblin guard pointed her towards the road she had to travel, delaying his impending nap only long enough to laugh about her destination.

"Mulgore eh? Big blue thing like youz ain't gots no bizznez in Mulgore, but its yer skin friend, not mine."

She ignored the little green man as she calmed herself, embracing the spirit of the wolf with some difficulty. Ghostly paws flew over grass and sand, a rippling blur in the moonlight. If anything noticed her they did not show themselves.

The wind, was eerily silent.

Dio had been returning to Mulgore often now. Since he had gotten to Outland, he had spent less and less time back home and around familiar places and people. But now that he felt stronger and wiser than he ever had in his life, he believed it was time he returned to his roots. He had been spending more time back on Azeroth, patrolling his old stomping grounds, and returning to Outland to do more work for the Aldor.

As he walked his way down the main road from Thunder Bluff to Bloodhoof Village, he could hear the voices of the elements clearly. It had become something he would listen to often, to relax him. When he first started his training as a Shaman, the voices were unfamiliar, mixxed up. They were all so hard to make sense of. But over time he learned to understand.

He crossed the bridge just outside the border of Bloodhoof Village and stood a moment to admire the sight of the long grass swaying in a breeze that had picked up. He closed his eyes as it washed over his face, only to hear something in the wind that made his ears perk and his eyes open once more. Alien? He turned and looked in the direction of the barrens and followed the direction of the wind towards the edge of Mulgore.

As she edged around the Camp that sat in the cleft between the Barrens and Mulgore the wind began to whisper again. The intensity of it caught her off guard. So many voices! There was no mistake that there was a large collection of spirits here in Mulgore than anywhere else in Azeroth.

The sun was just beginning to creep above the horizon, coloring the sky in delicate shades of pink and yellow. She gaped at beauty of the landscape as she turned from the path, following the edge of the sandstone cliffs. Although she gladly would have spent her time exploring the rolling grassy hills Thaena knew that coming here had been a risk. No matter how peaceful she made herself appear, there would always be those horde that would attack her on sight. In their home territory it was best that she did not draw attention to herself.

She released the wolf's spirit from her and resumed her true form, crouching in the tall grasses while she read the map she had coaxed from the old Venture Co. merchant. She traced her finger over the lines and then looked up at the cliff wall. Moving forward at a crouched crawl she came upon the narrow slit in the cliff that the goblin had described. It was large enough to allow passage, and well concealed by a small stand of pines. Inside the cave there was a sandy floor and several very old crates stamped with the Venture Co. logo.

If all went well, she would contact the ancestral spirits of this land and ask for their guidance. She dropped the pack that she'd been carrying to the ground, inside it were special woods and herbs to begin the ritual. In two days time the conditions would be right for her to continue, in the meantime she would rest and purify her thoughts. She settled into a niche in the cave wall and tucked her hands under her head. Sleep seemed a long way off as she listened to the wind whispering at the edges of the cave mouth.

Intruder.. Interloper.. Alien.. Stranger...

Dio had been following the sound of the wind for only a short time before he found himself at a cliff wall, and while the voice remained, it seemed to urge him that whatever "alien" thing was around, was at this cliff. He began to carefully look around, trying to note every small object, everything that stood out, anything that could be considered odd. And then he came accross a crevice in the cliffside.

It was paticularly well hidden, and while it looked fairly roomy, he didn't want to risk going inside and finding himself face-to-face with some sort of creature that would tear his face off at the bat of an eyelash. Instead, he drew his staff slowly and carefully, kneeling slightly in the grass. He spoke carefully, slowly, and as unthreateningly in Taurahe as he could muster.

"Hello? Who is in there?"

She'd just begun to drift off when she heard scuffling movements outside the cave. Her eyes opened abruptly, but she did not dare move for fear of making a sound and attracting the attention of whatever it was. Her heart beat against her chest as the hairs along her spine bristled. Slowly the noise came closer, and then stopped just outside the niche entrance. A slow, deep voice said something in a language she did not comprehend. Taurahe most likely, she had heard the first word a number of times from the Tauren in the Moonglade.

She realized her response would likely mean the difference between leaving the cave alive as a prisoner, or dead as someone's war trophy. She chose her orcish words carefully.

"Peace, greetings. No harm, surrender."

He couldn't help but blink slightly at the sound of the soft voice responding to his words. He was at least slightly relieved that it didn't sound threatening, but the accent was unmistakable. But what was a Draenei doing there? He quickly began running through the possibilities in his head before shaking off the numerous ideas and thinking back to the training he recieved from the Aldor on the Draenei language. He spoke softly and calmly, and above all, reassuringly.

"Don't worry, I'm not here to hurt you. What is a Draenei doing all the way out here in Mulgore? If the guards were to catch you, I'm afraid they'd be far less ready to listen to your reasons for being here."

As he spoke he slowly sat down in the grass and straightened out his tabard. This was certainly an interesting situation. Most of the Draenei he had spoken to were Aldor, but now there was one in his own back yard.

Shock quickly gave way to confusion as the person on the other side of the wall spoke in only slightly accented Draenei. Strange as it was, this was a great boon for her and even more so that they were willing to listen to her. That she would tell him the truth was not in question and with a small sigh of relief she explained her situation. At least in her native tongue she did not fear a miscommunication.

"I came here to perform a ritual that would hopefully help to attune myself to the spirits of this land. I have had some difficulty in transitioning from the native spirits of Draenor, which seem to differ from those of your own world. I had read a bit on the close relationship that the Tauren in particular have with the spirits, and I thought that coming here I might be able to glean more knowledge of why the spirits act the way they do around me."

The wind had died down a bit now, and only a soft murmur of a breeze stirred outside the cave.

"I know that your guards may not be pleased with my presence, and so I chose to find a secluded spot.. but I see it is not as secluded as I had thought. If you wish to come inside you have my invitation. I have no intention of harming anyone, you have my word as a member of Haven."

Creeping low, he belly touching the ground, tail lightly twitching, she made he way through the grass. She had heard a Tauren speak his native tongue, then in a strange language. Quietly she crept. Making her way behind the Large Tauren, his fur was white with black main, horns trimmed short, but most importantly his tabard, the one of Sanctuary… It was forbidden for any Tears of the Phoenix to have any aggression towards members of this tribe. Aside from this… Sanctuary was family to her and not just an order from Mynikens. Her sister Tillna was of Sanctuary, and so was Laron.

Keeping her distance, she spoke in a clear and firm Taurahe voice. “I have spared you an ambush, and now would expect my courtesy returned as I show myself Noble one.” With that she sits up from the grass still retaining her panther form, with black fur and glowing green eyes. “You seem to have cornered something. Do you require some assistance, member of Sanctuary? Taking in his scent, she stands and walks to the large Tauren, sitting back down beside him as though she had known him for decades. She leans towards him and whispers, “Is it a Blood Elf?”

A second, softer voice chimed in with the first and Thaena's hair stood on end. Was this new one friend or foe? And why had the first not mentioned a companion? She dearly hoped that she was not being foolish in speaking of her full intentions so quickly.

Dio blinked and looked back at the night elf that had just appeared behind him. He was right, things were just getting more and more odd. Shaking his head, he replied in Taurahe.

"No, there is a Draenei here looking for help with the elements... she said she was from Haven... hm... just a moment."

He looked back towards the cave. Did she say Haven? Dio knew Sanctuary had a sister guild in the Alliance with the same tabard and same goals as Sanctuary. And he had heard from Vilmah that their leader was a Draenei named Thaena. Could this actually be her? Clearing his throat, he spoke softly and reassuringly in Draenei once more.

"Thaena? Is that who you are? I'm Diomades, the Myrmidion of Sanctuary... it's safe to come out, you're under my protection here. I will not let anybody hurt you. There is only a Night Elf out here... so you have me outnumbered anyway."

He couldn't help but chuckle lightly at his joke... as valid as it actually was.

With the feeling of blush warming her skin under her fur, she lowered her head slightly. “Oh a Draenei!? Is that what they smell like? I haven’t met one as of yet.” Looking back from her intent stare at the cave and what awaits inside, to the Tauren, she cocks her head to the side. “Haven? I heard the name, but I have been away from town for quite some time.” In clear and polite common, she speaks to the female voice in the cave with such a strange accent. “He is of Sanctuary, he won’t harm you M’lady… I am Druid, maybe I can help with your dilemma..?” Nudging the Diomades in the hand, she spoke again. “We are coming in, so we can speak in private. If that’s okay with you?” Bracing herself for what strange creature this would be, she hadn’t seen a Draenei even looked like since the announcement of their alliance had been mandated.

Thaena had been caught off guard at first, but if they were with Sanctuary then there was nothing to fear. And she remembered Vilmah mentioning a Tauren named Diomades once before. The voices were somewhat muted by the thick stone wall and so she moved to stand in the entrance just as the druid finished speaking.

"Of course, I would be happy to come in or stay out as would be of comfort to you both," she smiled and bowed to both of them, taking great relief in the purple and gold tabbard draped over Diomades's chest. She was always surprised at the sheer size of the Tauren, and she noted that it would be a tight squeeze for him to enter this cave. "If Diomades says that I am safe to be here then I shall trust his word. A simple sentry totem should suffice to ward off unwanted ears. Would that I had thought of that sooner." She shook her head and laughed softly.

Shifting back to her two legged form, Amadare stood with her mouth open in surprise… This was not an alien… no monster that had been described to her. This was an attractive woman from the tips of her horns to the bottom of her hoofs, she was quite pretty, and her skin was a shade of blue quite like her own. A long awkward silence was broken with one word “Blue..? Um I mean… Nice to meet you both, I am Amadare Redthorn.” She says with a clumsy bow. Trying to maintain her composure through her now purple blushing face. “I was looking for my Brother, but I can help if you need…” Trailing off again as she catches a glimpse of the woman’s tail. Shaking her head she looked back at the large Tauren who dwarfed her in width. “He is the one Sanctuary calls Ravenshank.”

Dio couldn't help but smile as Thaena slipped out of the cave and he saw the familiar purple tabard that had grown on him. Giving an elegant bow, he was about to speak his full name when he caught Amadare's calling him Ravenshank and blinked slightly. He began to speak in Draenei once more, as though it was the language he was born with.

"Ravenshank? Where did you hear that from? I know our charter has a member called Ravenshank on it... but that's not me."

He paused before clearing his throat slightly.

"But I am Diomades Riverhorn, elemental shaman. And trust me, the only people around here that would even try to hurt you are the guards, and so long as you keep your distance they will leave you alone. The Tauren are very tolerant to visitors to Mulgore, hence why the Darkmoon Faire is held here."

His tail swayed slightly behind him, dragging along his tabard and cloak with it. He rubbed the back of his head slightly in thought, looking at Thaena curiously. As though trying to see something that wasn't there.

"You're having trouble with the elements of Azeroth? It would explain the winds reaction to you being here... what was the ritual you were going to try and do?"

"Ah..." Thaena smiled as things suddenly became clearer. "Yes, I would imagine that was what caused such a reaction. The ritual I was going to perform would have put me into a trance like state so that my spirit could exit my body for a set period of time. Enough time that I could commune with the ancestral spirits of this land." She folded her arms loosely across her chest. "I believe that if I can gain the trust of the ancestral spirits, then the elemental spirits will be more accepting of me as well."

She nodded to the druid as she finished acknowledging her plight.

"I have heard of this one from Warboss Vilmah, she mentioned him to me as a friendly entity when I first contacted her about an alliance. I have not spoken to him however, if you are having difficulty finding him then I would be happy to assist you in looking once I have finished my business here."

"Ritual to commune withthe spirits of Mulgore? Hm..." As he spoke, Dio reached into his backpack and began fumbling around with the contents of it before drawing out a vial with a milky blue liquid within. Holding it out to Thaena.

"You probably have heard of a sapta or used one to get this far in your shamanistic training... well, this is a sapta my ancestors used to conjure, but with a recipe I learnt from the Mag'har and Aldor. But it's effect doesn't wear off... you will always be able to see, understand, and speak with the Ancestors and Spirits of the land, wherever you go."

He looked at the vial in his hand for a moment before looking back to Thaena with a soft smile.

"Both a gift and a curse, in a sense. I would understand if you did not feel ready to face such a thing so soon in your training... but take it with you anyway. You might find a use for it later down the line."

"Yes.. I have heard of such a thing, but I have not used one so powerful as this." Thaena took the vial reverently. She considered it for a long moment, gazing into the milky blue contents. "I am certain that this could greatly aid me in my search, and I thank you for it. I am not certain that I can repay you for such a gift." She paused and tilted her head to one side before continuing.

"The Draenei have a ceremony called Sha'neh, it gives thanks to the Light for blessings received and for blessings to come. I would invite you to participate with me in Sha'neh, it is the closest thing to your gift that I can imitate. Though, alas, I do not have all of the necessary materials with me currently, I would be happy to return here to preform it."

Sitting patiently at the Tauren's side, she was trying not to stare at this new being, so different then anyone she had ever met. Thinking back to what Diomades had said. "I think I mis-spoke my words Master Riverhorn. The one you call Ravenshank is my Brother."

Looking back at the woman, and the blue liquid, she asks with great intrest. "What is needed for both of your ceremonies? I can help you colect it." Touching the ground she looks down. "Thaena is it? I am not attuned with the spirits, but I am close to the Earth Mother and Elune, purhaps they can help as well?"

"Sha'neh? I remember hearing it mentioned while I was working for the Aldor... it seemed like a pretty big deal." He replied to Thaena, pausing a moment before smiling and nodding. "I'd be honored to participate in such a ceremony with you, though we have plenty of time to do that later on. First, lets work out this problem you have with contacting the Elements. Everything that is needed to contact the spirits for a ceremony is available here in Mulgore."

Then looking back to the Night Elf, he bowed his head slightly. "And then we can find your brother."

Thaena looked between the druid and Diomades and nodded.

"I have brought the base ingrediants that I would need for my spirit walk. Herbs, and special woods soaked in purative oils. I will burn the woods and then imbibe a mixture of herbs that I prepare while invoking the spirits of this land. This combination will allow my mind and spirit to leave my body and walk among the elemental and ancestral spirits. In essence I will become a spirit myself. The only risk involved is that by casting myself out of my body, it will be naught more than a helpless shell. This is why I had chosen this cave in which to perform it."

She glanced over at the druid. "It might help to have someone tied to the earth mother, yes. During part of the ceremony where I invoke the spirits of the land, I will add elements of the land itself to the mixture. Amadare, if you would bless the gift of earth that I have brought then it would be a great boon to the ritual." She nodded in thought. "And if your brother, this Ravenshank, has trod here recently, then perhaps I could ask the spirits if they have seen him pass."

Thaena paused for a moment, considering. "In that same vein, the water I have brought is from a stream located at the edge of the Barrens. While I am sure it would suffice, if I could trouble you, Diomades, for some water from one of the lakes within Mulgore itself, that would make the connection to the spirits here much stronger."

The tracks were not fresh, yet neither were they so old as to be from days past.

No. Maybe a day old, maybe less. Normally Skafloc would pay the tracks little heed, but the unusual nature of them piqued his curiosity. It wasn't every day one came across the distinctive hoofprints of a Draenei in Mulgore. Judging from the size and depth of the tracks this was a female.

That in itself was interesting, but that made this most intriguing were other set of tracks that had followed the first. The large heavy tracks of a Shu'halo and what looked like the light pad of some large hunting feline. Both led in the direction the Daenei had taken. Towards the high slopes of the surrounding mountains.

It had been a rewarding hunt thus far. He had bagged some nice mountain lion skins for his new quarters in the Melar Danashj castle and a plump kodo for the meat. Mulgore was a favorite hunting ground of his, as the game was plentiful and the Shu'halo were very accomodating to those of the hunt. It was a pleasure of his to visit his horned brethren on Hunter Rise to swap tales of the hunt and share in each other's lessons. Although not an overtly spiritual person, Skafloc felt a sense of kinship with those hunters and the Shu'halo in general, sharing in their honor for all things of the natural world. Moreso than any other in the Horde he enjoyed their company and the soul of their land.

Thus it was of great interest to him what a Draenei would be doing in this high plateau between the mountains.

" If I would wager a guess, I would say some Tauren hunter and his pet feline were tracking this Draenei. " he said to his companion. Not that he was expecting a response other than the reactionary hiss Elmo usually issued at the sound of his master's voice.

" Well, I have the time and the trail is clear enough. What say you? Shall we take up the chase?" Beside him the windserpent flapped around in a circle. It was eager to be off, that much was certain.

Rising from his crouch Skafloc started plodding onward, head lowered to follow the trail up towards the looming mass of the mountains.

Nodding at Diomades she loosens her armor, she removes her constrictive articles of clothing, as not to tear them when she shifts to her other forms. Standing only in her baggy shirt, she holds her hands out and receives the earth for blessing. Holding it high above her head she drops to her knees, and starts to chant in a mixture of Taurahe and Elven.

“Ever caring Earth Mother we call to you for your blessing of this part of you. We, who walk on your soft grass and take shelter in your forests and caves, give thanks for the gifts you bestow upon us. When we pass from this world, will give back to you our bodies, to nourish the very plants may give life to others. Today we ask that you bless this small offering of your bosom, so that we may perform the ritual to come.”

The sound of roots creaking comes from underneath Amadare. She winches slightly, as the roots wrap around her legs in an embrace and thorns pierce her legs holding her tightly. Brining the earth to her lips she kisses it and her eyes glow bright green then fade to a dull brown. Handing the earth to Theana, her hands had sprouted thick black claws, with a grey layer of fur on the backs of them. With a loud growl, she rears up on her back paws and shakes the earth with when she comes down to all fours. Breathing heavy, she tries to calm her blood and return to her two leg form. The Earth Mother is not as gentle as Elune…” She says as dusts her hands off and wipes the blood from her legs.

Diomades nodded in thought as he heard whispers in the wind. Hunter...? It would not be unusual for the elements to be whispering of Tauren hunting in Mulgore and giving thanks to the spirits for their gains, so he simply shrugged it off before smiling to Thaena. "I can go one better for your water."

Getting to his hooves and walking just a few feet from the Druid and the Draenei, he looked out over the plains of Mulgore. It was good to be home, simply because he would not have to go through the usual ritual he needed to do in Outland to summon an Azeroth native elemental. Speaking in Taurahe, it seemed almost as though he was just casually chatting to some invisible force before him.

"Ahua, I could use your help for a friend here."

There was a soft rumble beneath the earth as, slowly, water began to seep up through the soil and grass. But rather than puddling outwards as one would expect, it puddled upwards at an increasing speed until, finally, a deep blue Water Elemental stood before him. It seemed to smile, at least judging from the brightness and curves of its glowing eyes, before splashing Diomades in the side with a watery arm. When it spoke, however, it was not with a voice, but rather with a mind and in such a way that all who heard it could understand. "Well if it isn't my favourite shaman!"

The Water Elemental made a thoughtful noise and looked around in the direction of the Draenei and the Night Elf before speaking again. "Well, this is unexpected... what is it you needed my help with?"

He smiled and held out a vial. "Sorry Ahua, I just need a little of your water. Thaena, the Draenei over there, is trying to contact the spirits to gain their trust."

At first, Ahua seemed skeptical, before holding out a watery arm and the bright, 'smiling' glow behind his eyes reappeared, speaking softly mostly in the direction of Thaena herself. "It is always an honor to aid one so obviously in tune with the Elements... Once they hear you out and see the potential you have, their will give you their council."

Scooping some of the pure water into the Vial, he smiled to the elemental and bowed his head. Ahua bowed to the group before disappearing into the earth once more. Turning and stomping back over to Thaena, Diomades held out the essence of water to her. "This should help convince the Spirits of your desire to aid them, when one of their own has placed his trust in you."

Onward Skafloc trodded, following the triple set of tracks. The fact that they were getting fresher told him he was getting closer.

Then something strange happened. The tracks of the Draenei stopped, only to be replaced by those of a wolf.

Shaman.. The signs were unmistakeable. Straight towards the old Venture Company mines the tracks appeared to be heading. It was still some distance away, but Skafloc concentrated his energies.

Calling upon the essence of the Eagle he opened his mind, letting that force of nature permeate his thoughts. His eyesight tunnelled and intensified. Color became extremely vibrant, the subtlest movement magnified and the far distant horizon leapt forward in clear focus.

He saw the grasses sloping up towards the looming shadow of the mountain. A prairie dog scurried through the tall blades, off to the right a small kodo munched. The grass gave way to stone and bare earth as it rose to meet the face of the mountain. Here and there old crates littered the terrain; the refuse of the Venture Company.

A little further up he saw the hint of a darker stain against the backdrop of granite. A cave. No sign of his quarry between himself and that old site.

Clearing his mind he returned to himself. A few seconds to suppress the slight vertigo the talent usually brought and he was off, heading towards the site.

It was conspicuous enough a place to warrant a visit.

Thaena had bowed her head graciously to Amadare as she accepted the earth, stowing it safely in a hip pouch alongside the sapta. "You have my deepest thanks for your blessings friend druid, as does the Earthmother."

Then she watched in amazement, her mouth hanging slightly open in wonder as Diomades summoned forth the elemental named Ahua. As he gave forth his water for her purpose she bowed deeply at the waist. "Your contribution means a great deal to me Ahua of the water. I am humbled by your gift." She nodded at Diomades' words. "Indeed, I am certain that with the blessings of you both and of Ahua that I will meet with a warm reception indeed. I owe you both much."

She held the vial of water up to the risen sun and studied it, shaking her head in wonder.

"I had planned to begin the ritual in two days time, when the moon nears the apex of its journey across the sky. If you wish to attend I would welcome your company."