Sign in to follow this  
clys

Breaking Out The Flying Monkeys

A page from Clys' journal:

It was Danyxandra who came up with the idea. She has an interestingly military mind at times, and it was she that suggested that we might need some specialized guards to watch over things at the estate.

Our land contains large flat areas, as well as mountainous terrain, which makes it somewhat problematical to guard. She reasoned that the optimal guard would be both loyal and reasonably intelligent, with the ability to fly. She knows how to think outside the box, as they say.

After some thought, I decided that it might in fact be possible for me to create a hybrid creature, starting with an ape or monkey, adding some intelligence, building in complete loyalty, and then adding wings.

Thus began my little experiment. At this point, I have succeeded in breeding a more intelligent ape, able to understand verbal commands, and even to speak somewhat. I've also managed to modify the part of the brain that is used for bonding with an authority figure, and thereby ensured that these creatures are completely and irrevocably loyal to me, and my House.

But, I'm having a bit of problems with the wings. I went with Hellista into Shadow Fang Keep, and there gathered a sufficient quantity of high quality bat-like wings. But I need a bit of expert input on how best to attach them, and what kind of control they will need.

batwing.jpg

Fortunately, a rather amazing coincidence resulted in my meeting a person who calls herself Ilievia. She claims to be a fallen seraphim, a type of angel, and she knows a lot about wings. In fact, she still has a pair of them that she can use under certain circumstances. I saw them for myself, and they are real.

She agreed to come by the animal lab and help me out. I'm looking forward to seeing her again. She has quite a story, and it isn't often you get to talk with an actual angel. Not that she's particularly angelic right now, but still. She should be here shortly.

Ilevia's thoughts were a bit mixed, she had blurted her entire damned history to near total strangers, they surely must have thought her absolutely mad. Thinking back, every move she made could have turned out far worse, she could have been harmed by the two, their innocent masquarade all in a true selfish mortal's search for personal power. The now Elf couldn't keep her mind away from the judgement of her new comrades. Were they sincere, did they wish to befriend someone who would rant madly about the heavens, were her powers believable?

The seraphim adjusted her azure armour, assuring everything was tight, impressive, showing physique yet true mortality. Ilevia was not as thin as most other female Elves, a bit of extra meat around the sides, but still excellent...

Mana Crystals at the ready, Bloodthistle Exctract ready in a phial, Ilevia stood before the Manor, eyes trained upon the sky above.

Clys came to the door herself, upon hearing that someone was waiting outside. Seeing that it was, indeed, Ilevia, she opened the door with a smile and beckoned.

"Ilevia," Clys said warmly. "Welcome! I'm glad you could make it. I really need your help with this. It's so close to working, and your knowledge of flight may very well make the difference!"

Clys took in the impressive look of the elf before her, letting her eyes drink in the sight. Then she turned and motioned to the doorway.

"Come on in. Let me show you what I'm working on," she said. "I think you'll find it interesting, at least."

Clys led Ilevia down to the animal laboratory. There were numerous cages with various creatures contained within. Some were sleeping, some were awake and looked out at the two as they entered. The place was clean, and relatively odor-free for an animal facility. In the very back there was a steel door with a small window.

Clys moved to the door and pulled the latch. She swung the door open and called out.

"Come on out, Yesgur, there's someone here to meet you," she said.

An ape walked slowly out of the doorway, and stopped, looking first at Clys and then at Ilevia. He was large, with black fur, and looked pretty much like any other ape of Azeroth, except for two large reddish wings that sprung from his back. The wings drooped, and appeared to be rather stiff. They did not flex as he walked, but remained in one position.

"You see the problem," said Clys to Ilevia. "I'm just not sure I have the muscles and tendons hooked up properly. Or maybe it's just that his brain doesn't accept that he now has wings. Can you tell anything, at all? Any help would be most appreciated."

The ape turned to regard Ilevia with big dark eyes. He pulled his lips back in what might have been a smile.

"Help Yesgur," he said in a low voice, nearly a growl. "Help Yesgur fly."

((Sorry for the late reply, I've been rather busy.))

Ilevia walked a few paces behind Clys, a bit weary of the generous hostess. The facility only served to heighten the Knight's paranoia. She looked awestruck at the lumbering ape even before it spoke; afterwards, such was beyond bizarre. Eyes fixed on the simian, Ilevia stood tall... As strange as all this was, stranger had occurred. She began to overcome the initial feeling of absolute confusion mixed with a touch of fear, and approached the ape. Holding her breath, she gently grasped the right wing, attempting to move and flex it. Without any response to her stimuli, Ilevia stood and turned to Clys. "I'm not an engineer, I can't turn him into an automaton. Nor am I an enchantress, willing to imbue the wings with runes eternal..." Ilevia trailed as she reached into a pack at her side, showing a blue flask. "...However, I am an Alchemist..."

She turned once again to Yesgur, eyeing the wings, and back to the almost childish face. Her voice directed at Clys, yet face toward Yesgur, Ilevia spoke, "No, no, I don't believe it's a matter of physiology, I believe it is a matter of will and ability to handle such. Tell me, Clys, have you ever considered anything past the physical bounds?"

"Maybe if you show him how?" I said. "Give him some flying lessons, so he can teach the others? I would be most grateful."

I watched as Ilevia spread her wings. They were semi transparent, ghostly, but beautiful. I was in awe of her at that moment. Then she began to demonstrate the movements, explaining in simple terms the theory of flight, how to judge the winds, how to soften the landing. Poor Yesgur was hard pressed to understand, but she was patient. I knew that she would succeed. I wondered how I would be able to thank her.

angel1.jpg

Ilevia stood and watched Yesgur, wings outstretched. Her powers began to weaken and break... Quickly, the Seraphim snagged a Mana Crystal from her pack, quickly devouring the essence. Ilevia stood and began to levitate a bit, wings appearing to tread the air around. "Clys, I must admit, this takes a great amount of mana, this may take some time with Yesgur... And I have not yet reached a season of strength to obtain Ascendance, so this is by pure force of will..." Ilevia trailed as her feet touched the ground, wings fading into thin air. She appeared fatigued as she looked toward the Ape, who, in a rather entertaining feat, began to clap slightly.

"I want to help, sister, but this will require time, and I have no place to board outside the inns."

"My apologies, Ilevia, it didn't occur to me that you'd need a place to stay," I said. "There is plenty of room here at the manor, I'll have Smurch prepare a room for you. Stay as long as you like. We have every kind of food or beverage, mana enriched, smokes, you name it."

I smiled. My own pet angel? Probably not, but a friend, at the very least. And friends are always precious to find.

Ilevia stood and nodded a bit, "Many thanks, Clys, I do not wish to overstay my welcome in any respect, however, demonstrations are mana-costly and can only be done at the peak of concentration. I will take a few notes while I wait... Smurch, you said?"

As if on cue, the tall, gangly servant appeared in the doorway, his long arms hanging out of his sleeves, his black suit looking a bit dusty and too small for his large frame.

"You rang?" he said, in a deep and gravely voice, as if his vocal cords were unused to making sounds.

"Ah, Smurch, this is Ilevia," I said. "She will be staying with us for a bit, to help me with the monkeys. Prepare a room for her, and see to it that she has all the mana-enriched food and drink she requires."

His only reply was a low growl, as he looked at Ilevia and bowed his head slightly.

((Sorry about the sloth...))

Ilevia turns, if slightly intimidated, toward the servant and feigns a smile. "Tell me, good... Smurch? What will the accomidations include? Shall we have a walk?" The knight tried to show as much outward friendliness as possible, considering she was staying with mortal wealthy beyond her imagination...

Smurch said nothing, just growled low in his throat and turned to lead the way to the room. He didn't look back to see if Ilevia was following, he just lumbered his way down the hall, up the stairs, and to the room. Once there, he opened the door and stood aside to allow her to enter.

The room was lavish, with a large ornate bed covered in silk, a thick carpet, gleaming wood dressers and armoire. A doorway led into a private bathroom.

Smurch managed to speak, then, a few low, gravely words.

"Will you have something to eat or drink?" he asked.

Ilevia stood and admired the room, beyond her dreams, almost reminded her of the sweet home above. She did not respond to Smurch as she ran her fingers along the walls, onto the bed, and her nose just above the dresser. Reality coming back into focus, she turned toward the grisly servant and smiled, this time, sincere and willing. "Of course, Moonberry Juice with Powdered Enriched Mana Crystals, if possible."

Ilevia waited for Smurch to leave the room before she collapsed completely on the bed, grinning madly in mortal-material euphoria.

Smurch was simply gone, there one minute and not there the next. A few minutes later a knock on the door announced the arrival of the requested Moonberry Juice and Mana Crystal Powder. Also on the tray were other interesting tidbits -- roasted mana wyrm slices, dreamfoil candies, and icecap wafers. The servant left the tray and disappeared, leaving Ilevia alone to eat and relax.

Ilevia sat on the bed, tray before her, she ran her fingers through her ebony hair and scanned the room once more, beginning to loosen her armour, dropping it down to the floor and neatly placing it under the bed. She sat half-naked in her underwear, still staring at the tray. The seraphim reached out for the juice and dashed a bit of Powdered Crystal, stirring it with her finger. She began to wonder, once again, if "Yesgur", the Ape, was truely able to fly... Or if these ideals were kind-hearted in nature. Ilevia sat, sipping her drink, fingering the delacacies.

"Angel help Yesgur?" the ape with wings asked, looking to Clys for assurance.

"Yes, dear," Clys replied. "After she rests up and eats, I'm sure she'll be back to help.

"Angel pretty," he said, an oddly soft look in his huge animal eyes.

Clys chuckled. "No touching the angel unless she asks," she said. "She is your superior, and you will obey her."

"Still pretty," he said, pulling his hairy lips back in what must have been a smile.

Hours had passed, it was deep in the eve. Ilevia was still beyond sore from exposing her wings, and even with the mana-enriched food and drink, she felt drained of most energies. Drifiting off into sleep was a release beyond any which was of the norm. The silky cloth felt absolutely astounding against mortal skin, eyes becoming heavy, the Angel began to sleep.

Thump.

Ilevia tossed over in a start, thinking little of the noise, as it seemed rather distant.

Thump!

Closer still, probably Smurch.

THUMP!

It was closer than ever, Ilevia was unwilling to take any chances, she quickly kicked the covers off and grabbed her sword... No time to place her armour on, she stood at the ready, weak mana residue flowing through her, keeping adrenaline alive and her powers awake.

She stared off into the darkness, waiting for a slight change in the shadows...

A minute passed, Ilevia was unmoved... Until the door began to crack open.