Sign in to follow this  
Morgauth

Immortal Triumvirate ~ Chapter Two

I just had to laugh, it was so incredibly perfect. I'd been haunting the Nex'Cruor manor for ages, hoping for an opportunity. I thought perhaps I might get lucky enough to snag one of the bodies the Mistress was always experimenting with. It's been such a long time since I had a body to call my own. But this! This was an unexpected occurrence. To see this body, the special one the Mistress had been pouring all her resources into, the one she had designed to house her own powerful spirit -- to see this body suddenly open and available to me! Well, there was only one thing I could do, wasn't there?

I snatched it. It's all mine, now, a perfect immortal shell, already exhibiting the effects of my inhabitation. I could actually feel it change when I entered it, forming itself to my thoughts and desires, becoming the outward manifestation of my inner self, yet with all my secrets left inside. So perfect. I have to hand it to dear Clys. She's done a wonderful job on my new body. Perhaps someday I will find a way to thank her.

I laughed long and loud, reveling in the sound of my own voice, the feel of the laughter welling up in my living throat. It was ecstasy. I blinked my living eyes and looked around at myself, at the bleeding Danyxandra who sat next to me, at the chaos of the laboratory, at the angry face of Mistress Clys Nex'Cruor. Ah, life. You are mine, once again, in all your fullness and glory. I have been patient these long years, and now, at last, I am rewarded. It's so very good to be me.

Mistress was looking at me, expecting an answer to her questions. Who am I? What am I? How did I get here? Well, I'm sorry dear Clys, but I am not prepared to answer those questions for you. Despite all you've done for me, it would not be in my best interests to tell you those things. So, what to do? What to do? I know you. I've watched and listened. You will not be satisfied with simple refusal on my part. I shall have to come up with something to assuage you. Something which sounds like information, but reveals nothing. Ah, I have it.

I turned my face toward Mistress Clys and blinked, looking confused.

"I am...I am Morgauth. Your son and heir," I said.

Ah, perfect. Her mouth dropped open, so stunned was she by my words. But she recovered quickly, as she always does. She is, after all, the formidable one.

"What the FUCK are you talking about? My son and heir? Explain yourself! NOW!" she commanded, and I flinched. For real, I flinched. She is quite...dynamic.

"I...I don't know how. You...made me. You made my body. That's what mothers do, isn't it? And you need an heir. and so...you called, and here I am. I'm very pleased to meet you...Mother," I said, bowing my head respectfully.

I hoped it wasn't too much. It's been so long since I had to play a part, after all. I'm probably rusty. But it worked. She stood there for a long moment, taking it in.

"But where did you come from? That body you're in had no spirit! It was supposed to house MY spirit. How did you get in there, and from where?" she asked, her voice calmer now, her intelligence and curiousity kicking in.

I waved my hands confusedly. "I don't really know, Mother. I heard you call, and I obeyed. I woke up in here." I motioned to my body, looking down at my muscular chest.

"Well I'll be a Kodo's bunghole," she said. She says the weirdest things when she's upset, or thinking hard. I love her for that. It's a shame I had to steal her body, really, but I had no choice, did I? She'll make a new one, I'm sure, given the time.

Meanwhile, I had to insert myself into the opening. It was quite crystal clear. She needed an heir so that House Nex'Cruor would not lose leadership of the Triumvirate. I needed a job, and a position of power from which to work my own will. We needed each other, her and I. I more than her, I must admit, but now that I had the body...well the tables were turned. She needed me.

I smiled over at Danyxandra, who had removed the glass shard from her chest and was watching the wound heal itself. Such perky little breasts she has. My body responded to the sight, and I had to force it to calm down. She'll be a rather tasty conquest, even if she is a bit too sure of herself. I can change that. She'll be wrapped around my little finger, down on her knees, those perky little nipples erect, begging for the chance to please me. I might even let her, if she's a really good girl. Then again, she'd be ever so much fun to punish. Yes. I'm going to enjoy physical life. It's been far too long.

But that will have to wait until later. For now I must cement my new position in House Nex'Cruor.

"Don't you see, Mother? This is what you REALLY wanted. You'll be free to spend all your time on your research, while I take care of the boring details of politics and running the House. You never enjoy those things, anyway. The Lords can't object to you leading the House as an undead, if I'm your heir. I'm full blooded Sindorei, you saw to that yourself. And I'm certainly your offspring, however arcane the means you used to produce me. Thus, I'm your heir, and they will have to back off and let us be." I smiled my best smile at her, projecting both sincerity and respect.

She bought it. She nodded slowly, and I could see the gears turning.

"And why should I trust you...Morgauth," she said.

Always right to the point, she is.

"Well, Mother, not to put too fine a point on it, but what choice do you have? You can have me watched. But it was your call that brought me here. I am bound to you. Your interests are my interests. I will be a good son, you'll see. I'll make you proud, and House Nex'Cruor will thrive," I said.

She grinned, those odd little fangs she had installed in her mouth glinting in the dim emergency light. She pointed her claw-like finger at me.

"All right...son," she said, her eyeless face difficult to read. "You're right. At this point I either produce an heir or lose the House, and it certainly looks like you're it. You're hired. You can be damned sure I'll be watching every step you make, though. You report directly to me, on everything. You make no decisions without my say-so. You are my puppet, plain and simple. Do that, and I'll let you live."

I seriously doubted she could kill me, considering the body I was now in, but...you never know with Clys. I don't think she put a fail safe into the body. Then again, it would be just like her to do so. Anyway, it won't matter. My plans and hers do not really conflict. She'll be quite happy with my handling of the House. After all, I'm the son she never could have, poor thing. And honestly, the better House Nex'Cruor does, the better my own position will be.

"I'll do my very best to make you proud of me, Mother," I said, grabbing the side of the shattered tube I was in, and leaping to the floor. I knelt before her, and I felt her hand come to rest upon my shoulder.

((Chapter One of this story is here: http://tn.yzeens.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3967))

Skafloc stood discreetly to the side and slightly behind Mistress Nex'Cruor, as he always did. In that position he was all but forgotten in the exchange, yet he was able to hear everything. Listen he did.

A son! The implications were astonishing. Should this "Morgauth's" petition as the Heir Nex'Cruor be approved by mistress, it would mean a shift in the landscape of authority. Skafloc's own responsibilities could shift accordingly. To what degree remained to be seen.

Still there was much left unspoken from both Clys and this Morgauth, of that Skafloc was certain. Centuries of his houshold's training and service as aides and companions to the Nex'Cruor had made them skilled listeners. Indeed, it was that skill alone that saved his household from oblivion during the time of the Old Baron, Clys' predecessor. So many servants perished during those times at his whim.

Skafloc carefully went over all that was said and committed it to memory. Information was power, and power was something he wanted to bank until the time was right to play his hand. Now was not the time. Now was the time for obedience.

Watchful obedience.

Danyxandra watched the the exchange, still in a bit of shock, still hearing her own voice echo in her head, the words "immortal." It finally registered in her mind, what was being said, that this Morgauth, he could be the heir the Lords demanded. He could settle this matter, if only Mistress Clys agreed to it.

She scooted out of the way, grabbing her bloody chamosile and putting it on as Morgauth rose from the tube. She climbed out of the tube from the far side, her boots crunching on glass splinters. From behind her, Danzrielle pushed the last of the hoses off of herself and moved quietly to her sister's side.

Morgauth kneeled before Mistress Clys. She had called him "son". Danyx sighed with relief. Clys was accepting him. The matter of having an heir for Nex'Crour's house would be settled and the Triumvirate would be preserved. Morgauth kneeled beside Mistress Clys. Danyx sighed again, admiring his backside, and then she squinted...how can someone just "born" be so aware, know so much. She raised a brow, still staring at Morgauth's back.

I rose and smiled at Mistress Clys, reveling in the feeling of my muscles working to lift me. I lifted my arms and rolled my shoulders. The sensation of being flesh once more was intoxicating. I fixed my gaze on Scafloc, giving him a wide smile.

"Skafloc, old man!" I said, taking a step forward and clapping him on the shoulder. "Do you think you could get me some clothing? Leathers, if you would. Black. Some soft boots. And I'll need a couple of daggers. Sharp and pointy, you know the ones. And ask the cook to toss me together something. I'm famished."

I made a slicing motion in the air with my arm, as if fighting with an invisible enemy.

"Maybe later we can have a bit of dueling practice!" I said, winking at him. I did a standing backflip, landing with my feet planted in the same exact spots where they had started.

I turned sideways to glance at Danyxandra, and wiggled my eyebrows at her.

Skafloc glanced between Clys and Morgauth, then bowed deeply to the latter. " As you wish my Lord. We have some fresh quail's eggs and the smoked murloc is particularly good. I will see to it at once. I will have the staff prepare the Old Baron's quarters for you, if that is satisfactory. They haven't been occupied for some time, but all the furnishings are in place and covered." said Skafloc.

" I will have the clothes and weapons you commissioned laid out for you. After your meal, I will be at your service in the exercise grounds. " Skafloc bowed once more and turned to see to the arrangements.

Outwardly he forced an attitude of calm and routine. Inside however his mind was racing with the possibilities. Who was this Morgauth? He who seemingly knew the ins and outs of the estate and its occupants? What of the sisters and their interference? What retribution would madam Clys vest upon them? What was her new role in the family? What of Mistress Daniliy and her daughter Topaz?

So many new developments, Skafloc needed to consider carefully and analyze. That took time, as any good hunter knew. Analyze and study the target. Learn its habits and routine.

Skafloc had much to study in the days ahead.

A page from Clys' journal:

I know him. I can't put my finger on it, but I know him, or of him. I will figure out who he is. I'll search the archives. Meanwhile, I have little choice but to allow him his place. He's been quite the thief, I must hand it to him. He stole from me, and there wasn't a thing I could do about it.

And now I'm doomed to live within this wretched shell even longer. For that, I will never forgive him. Danzrielle, for her hand in it, I can forgive. She's a bubble-head, nothing more. But Morgauth...he is dangerously intelligent. The question is, is he friend or foe?

At least the Lords will be satisfied for the time being. I don't need them breathing down my neck. I have too much to do, too much research, too much work. I will begin again, of course, by first analyzing all that happened. Despite the chaos, most of my recording devices survived, so I have plenty of data.

It appears that both Morgauth and Danyxandra are now immortal. So I have succeeded in that much, at least. I have proven that I can do it. Now I must make it more controllable. It will be a gift I can grant at my pleasure. Or deny. I will control the future. And my beloved Danlily and Kittsu will be there to enjoy it with me, all of us, young forever. Even Lovely, despite her oscillations, has proven herself loyal. She too will be with us. We need a joker in the deck, after all.

But first things first. I want MY body back. What a huge pain the ass this is, to have to start from square one, growing myself a new body. But, there it is. It's only a loss of time, really, and I have time.

Meanwhile, I'll keep Morgauth well observed. If he plays his part well, and keeps the House running, then it will be well enough. If not...well there is something I know that he doesn't, about that body he now inhabits. I will not be the loser if it comes to a fight between him and I.

Villayna stared down at the people milling around the Royal Exchange. Some were workers, tasked with restoring the city to its former grandeur. Some were business people, bringing their goods to the auction house. Every day the city became more glorious and beautiful, almost as if the scourge had never threatened.

Her steward, Mister Dentley, waited patiently for her to process the information he had just given her. She reached up and slowly pulled a silken blue curtain across the window and turned to Dentley. Her hands shifted to her hips, and she leaned over the desk, allowing her long golden blonde hair to cascade onto the ancient polished wood.

"What do you mean, they named Danyxandra as the head of House deStrasza? What do I pay you for?" she asked, her voice all too calm.

"Yes, Mistress, sorry Mistress. We were clearly, legally in the best position. But that branch of houses has always had some unknown connections that keep them in power despite their obvious corruption and inability to produce."

"Unknown?" Villayna snorted. "You know full well that the elders drool and become drunk with avarice at the very whisper of the word...immortality." Fluidly she leaned back and tucked a stray band of hair behind her ear. "We need leverage, don't we?"

The steward was silent for a moment, thoughtful. "Yes. Although I would advise waiting to see if Clys is able to find a way out of the "heir" requirement for the Nex'Cruor estate..."

Villayna raised a hand and clenched it. The steward's speech was interrupted by the sudden constriction of his windpipe and the bright glow of Light being bent by her fist.

"I am not interested in the Nex'Cruor estate. I want the vineyards." She unclenched her hand and lowered it. The steward gasped, sucking precious air into his lungs.

"Yes Mistress."

villayna.jpg

Morgauth's journal page:

I was playing a game of darts in my new room when I got a sudden urge to eat something. I haven't lost my touch at darts, either. Twenty five throws. Twenty five bullseyes. Ten more throws facing away from the board, throwing the darts over my shoulder. Ten more bulleyes. A couple thrown between my legs while bending over, just for a joke. Bullseyes, of course.

The room Skafloc set up for me is perfect. It just needs a few good stag heads on the walls, with big racks of antlers for hanging hats on. And some more statues, definitely some more statues -- a mixture of very sexy nudes and grotesque gargoyles. I love gargoyles. And sexy naked women. Preferably together. I mean art-wise, not bed wise. No gargoyles in my bed, that would be ridiculous. They leave too much stone dust behind, and it's bad for my skin.

Speaking of skin, I keep having this dream about Danyxandra. She's sitting in front of me, bare breasted, with that huge wound in her chest, and it's healing up before my eyes as the blood slowly disappears back into her skin. I wake up disappointed because I didn't get to lick the blood off. Or pinch her nipples and listen to her squeal. She's not so much the squealing kind, I think. Probably Danzrielle would squeal easier, but I'm sure I can get a few out of Danyxandra if I work at it. This whole immortality thing has some interesting ramifications. I can't actually hurt her. Even if I take the whip to her, or stretch her out on the rack, or shove my...

But what was I saying? Oh yes, I had a sudden urge to eat. But I just couldn't decide what I wanted. That's when I got the idea to go and find the twins, and take them to lunch somewhere. It's very good for the digestion to stare at cleavage while you eat. Helps get the blood pumping. Gives you something to think about other than the daily news. Annoys the girls. That's the best part.

Oh I should mention, the whole heir thing. Went well, of course. Mistress stood there, poking her bony finger toward the Lords and pretty much telling them that they'd better accept me as heir, or there'd be hell to pay. They all sat there, looking at me and nodding their head, their pasty faces looking solemn. And of course they voted unanimously to accept me. I bowed respectfully, took the oath of office such as it is... and that's that. Clys is off in her lab. And I'm the man of the house. I like being the man of the house. I like being the man, actually.

I wonder if the twins could be convinced to visit my room in tandem, later? Two heads are better than one, so they say.

Anyway...time to grab some twins and get some lunch, I say.

Danxyandra pursed her lips and gravely watched the proceedings. Her sister stood nervously beside her. Without turning her head, Danyx cast her eyes about the room full of Lords, squinting in contemplation at her new…cousin, Morgauth. She bit the inside of her cheek to keep a smile from betraying her as she watched Clys do her magic. Even undead, that woman emanated the same power she carried among the Lords when she was alive. Would nothing ever stop that woman when she set herself down a path? Danyx allowed herself a smirk in admiration at Clys’ bony back.

The proceedings ended and the room stirred with conversation, some with a sense of relief, some with an air of complaints, but it was final and Morgauth would be recognized as Baron Nex’Cruor and the leader of her family’s corporation, The Triumvirate.

Danzrielle, caught up in the exit of onlookers and socialites was carried out with the rest of the cattle. Danyxandra stayed, watching them flow out of the large room. Contemplating, calculating, she watched them through half-closed eyes and long dark lashes as she made plans for her next move.

Mister Dentley sat in the back of the courtroom on an unadorned chair. The chair looked out of place in a sea of silken cushions and heavily embroidered upholstered seats. But it was the one he chose when his work brought him here. The appearance of this "Morgauth" character did not surprise Dentley. He'd seen Clys manipulate the lords before, but this was a masterful stroke even for her.

He wondered briefly at the true identity of the young man. If the average blood elf was described as arrogant, this one was a sun in a room full of fireflies. Dentley finished writing his observations of the procedings down in his journal. He then opened another book that held the name of every person Dentley had ever come into contact with and added an entry for Morgauth, along with his initial impressions. He then updated his entry for Clys. Bringing out yet a third book, he read through his checklist of "to-do's" for the day. With a single thin, straight line of ink he crossed off "attend Nex'Cruor Estate Proceedings", then added "investigate Morgauth" at the bottom of the list.

Satisfied with his bookkeeping, he placed the journals in a worn leather case and then gestured a quick spell to lock it. Dentley's meticulous nature made him perhaps the best steward of any of the Houses, not that any other House had ever approached him. The shrewdness of the deSinisca family and their ability to overlook his disfigurement was unique.

The room had emptied out by the time he had finished his administrations. Glancing around, he noticed that Danyxandra hadn't left yet. She seemed lost in thought. Not daydreaming, like her sister, but plotting, planning. Definitely the more dangerous of the twins.

dentley.jpg

The wind blew the curtains behind Tir while sat on the balcony outside his room, causing his hair to billow out in the same way. His fingers absent-mindedly plucked at the strings of his lute, playing an incoherent tune. He sighed as he watched the merchants below settle down after the morning hustle, tired of being held up at the Hawkbrand estate. However, just as his boredom was reaching a peak, he could hear his grandfather burst into the house after attending some meeting. Even more of a surprise, Colian Hawkbrand immediately went up to Tir's room.

"That blasted woman! How can she just muster up such a man out of thin air?! Something... something is horribly wrong with this, but I should expect no less with a Nex'Cruor!"

Tir stood up, looking to his grandfather and blinking and confusion. Colian beckoned him over. "Come here, Tir."

Reluctantly, Tir left the balcony and walked up to his grandfather, who had plopped himself into a large and thickly cushioned chair. "It's time you started taking action as the head of this household. I'm too old for this anymore. So, I have a task for you."

Tir placed a hand over his face and shook his head. "Grandfather, this better not have to do with those lords..."

Colian waved a hand in a circle to dismiss that notion. "No, this is a task more... personal. I want you to extend a... hand to a certain man. His name is Morgauth Nex'Cruor."

Tir tilted his head slightly to the side in confusion. Despite his disgust with the nobility of Silvermoon, he didn't neglect knowing as much as he could, but he had never heard of such a man. "What is it exactly you want me to do with him?"

Colian smiled coyly. "Friendship, simply. Of course, getting close to him won't be instant, so I've had an item prepared." He put his lower arm perpindicular to his chest, and opened up his palm to the ceiling. A blue light gathered in its center, and, into it, a small golden idol in the image of the Hawkbrand crest, a golden hawk baring a sword in its talons. "Simply offer this as a sign of friendship. Should he refuse, well, that wouldn't look good in the sight of the lords, would it? Besides, I can tell, this man wouldn't pass up such an 'oppurtunity.'"

Colian held up the statue, and Tir slowly reached out and took it from him. He went to his bedside, and found a small length of velvet cloth he promptly wrapped it in. "I understand, Grandfather."

"Yes, now, go. He should be at the Nex'Cruor estate at this moment." Tir bowed to his grandfather and began to head to the stables.

He looked at the bundled statue as he climbed onto a hawkstrider, and he grinned. "Yes, Grandfather, I understand, but I will work this to my advantage, for, as you said, I am Lord Hawkbrand, and there is no other to take my place." He kicked the bird off, and made for the house of Nex'cruor.

Villayna DeSinisca. That was the name he had managed to bamboozle out of the superintendant of the building he had seen that golden haired goddess peering out of.

A bit more investigation revealed she had filed a claim against the DeStrasza estates, the vinyards in particular. That claim fell through when Danyxandra was named head of House DeStrasza. Still, Skafloc now had a legitimate reason to try to get close to the woman. Not that he needed one, other than his own libido.

As luck would have it her steward, a fellow named Dentley, was known to frequent the same drinking establishment that Skafloc often enjoyed haunting, a particularly lively joint that resided between Murder Row and the Royal Exchange district. Armed with a description of the man Skafloc made plans to drop in whenever his duties allowed. One of the advantages of being Majordomo was he had plenty of staff to handle menial affairs. Hand picked and screened by Skafloc himself.

Of course, the prettiest ones earned bonus points in interviews, while the others went to the fields and warehouses. The mistress wanted it that way, and there was no indication the new Master disapproved.

Morgauth called for Skafloc, and rose to greet him when he appeared.

"Skafloc, old man! I need some information. I'm sadly out of the loop regarding the "who's who" in the current crop of lords and ladies and all that. I noticed a couple of names, faces, things that drew my attention. You're good at getting information, I believe? I want to know about a fellow named Dentley and his mistress. Also, there's this Hawkbrand bunch. They stuck out, to me. Can you investigate and report back to me anything you learn about them. Even the boring things, general knowledge, I want to know it all. "

Morgauth smiled widely, balancing a dagger by the hilt on the tip of his finger.

"Soon as you can, ok?"

Morgauth Nex'Cruor. That name was being said all over town. Hellista hadn't yet seen the man, but had heard that he had appeared. There was something about him...not his name, but something about his spirit that called to her...she could sense him. This was strange because usually her power didn't extend to the living.

Hellista sipped her wine and put on a dainty dress. She stood outside the exchange house, listening to the people scurrying around her and wondering if she'd be able to meet this man. Perhaps he would offer her something that others had not. Regardless, it would promise to be interesting.

Skafloc listened to his Master's orders with an expressionless face. Inside however the wheels of his mind were churning.

"So, he has heard the names. Well of course he would have. He is a Nex'Cruor and to underestimate him would be foolish!" thought Skafloc. This was his first real proof that the man called Morgauth was indeed Clys' heir, and meant to act as such. He was already starting to learn the landscape of the noble houses, indeed for all Skafloc knew he was aware of more than he was leading on. Which meant this was possibly a test. Skafloc was prepared for this.

" As you wish My Lord. Indeed, I can provide a brief synapsis of the individuals warranting the most attention at the moment. " said Skafloc.

"Yes, the man Dentley is a steward of House DeSinisca. His mistress, the Lady Villayna DeSinisca, has shown interest in aquiring the DeStrasza Vinyards. Of course that was forstalled by the naming of Danyxandra as the head of House DeStrasza. I cannot say, but that may not be the end of Lady Villayna's ambitions. There are still the DeFafnyr holdings, which although made secure by the naming of Danzrielle as the head, might actually be a more savory target. Danzrielle is.. shall we say.. less efficient as an estate holder.

I have in fact just recently learned of Mister Dentley's social habits. I had planned on introducing myself in a casual manner, in an effort to gain favor with that house. My ultimate hope is to gain the trust of the Lady Villayna, to learn more of her ambitions and goals. One never knows, they might serve My Lord's own goals." Skafloc paused, raising an eyebrow towards Morgauth.

"As for the House Hawkbrand, they were led for as long as anyone remembers by the venerable mage Colian Hawkbrand. They have respectable holdings, and haven't appeared too aggessive in expanding their influence. Yet, Old Master Colian has managed over long years to secure his family's status through agreements and treaties with the other households. Be that as it may, he is in fact no longer the actual head of that house. His grandson, Young Tirdisar is the named Head of that House, although he has not performed any official duties as such, yet. I don't know much about him except that he is a musician. Again, I shall endeavour to learn more about young Tirdisar."

Skafloc nodded to Morgauth. " That My Lord is what I know for now, the other households have been quiet, or tend to follow the lead of the more prominent houses they have agreements with. I will prepare a chart if you wish of some of the cliques within the Noble Houses, and continue to track their shifting allegiences.."

"Now, unless My Lord has any other tasks, I have a few new applicants for housekeeping positions that require an interview. After that, would My Lord care to come with me on my walking inspection of the plantation?"

Morgauth appeared to be distracted as Skafloc replied with the initial information. Morgauth's attention seemed to be on a rather large house of cards he was building on his desk. His hands moved rapidly and precisely, laying card upon card without hesitation. By the time Skafloc had finished, the card house was several stories high, with four parapets and an inner courtyard.

But when Skafloc finished speaking, Morgauth replied immediately, "Fizzling Mana, Skafloc, you are on the ball, old man! Good show, indeed, to have already anticipated my information needs and had so much ready before I even asked. Give yourself an evening off!"

Morgauth tossed a small bag of gold at Skafloc, the bag seeming to simply materialize in Morgauth's hand before he tossed it.

Without a pause he continued, "Keep me apprised of whatever else you learn. Information is the key, my good man, always the key!" He nodded and tossed a long strand of his hair over his shoulder. "Oh! You said interviews with the housekeeping applicants...yes, yes. When you've completed that, send the best looking one in to me, will you? I have some ideas for outfits, and I need a model to test them on. I want to create something completely distracting, you know what I mean? Visitors to our dining table or drawing room should be kept off balance, and nothing is quite so good at that as properly showcased flesh!"

Morgauth laughed heartily, winking at Skafloc.

"Oh, you got my memo about that young warlock, Hellista, yes? I want a personal interview with her, soonest. I'm sure you can arrange that."

Morgauth suddenly swept the entire house of cards off his desk, scattering the cards all over the floor.

"And yes, an inspection of the plantation would be a wonderful idea! Good thinking, Skafloc. Invite Danzrielle to come along. Just her."

Morgauth waved his hand at Skafloc in a shoo-ing motion, and began shuffling about the room, somehow tossing the cards from the floor back onto his desk with his boot toe.

The hawkstrider bearing Tirdisar strode along the plantation grounds under the motions of its master. The living quarters rose up in front of him, and it was nothing more than he expected from such a prominent family. Without the least bit of hesitation, he dismounted, tied the hawkstrider to a nerby post, and stepped up to the door. He tossed up the wrapped statue, catching it deftly, and stared at it for a moment before noticing that several other people were also about the plantation grounds. They shuffled about aimlessly, but he could tell they were awaiting some message from inside the manor. He thought it best to ignore them for the moment, and retured his attention to the door.

"Now, to find out what about this man the old man finds so intriguing." He raised his fist to the door, paused a moment, and rapped on it with his knuckle.

My Lady Danzrielle. His Lordship Morgauth Nex'Cruor desires your presence to accompany him on a walkabout inspection of the Nex'Cruor estate grounds. He has indicated no specific time, however you would surely agree that it would be inappropriate to delay overmuch on accepting this warm invitation.

He intends to conduct the inspection this afternoon.

My respects and honor.. Master Skafloc Ran'Deau

Head of Staff..

Skafloc sealed the memo and handed it to a household courier. "Make all haste to the DeFafnyr estates. Hand deliver this to Lady Danzrielle. Then report to me when its complete."

The courier nodded once and departed. Skafloc rose to head to the maid's wing, where the new applicants were waiting. He scarce took three steps when the hall echoed with the sound of the large oaken front doors being knocked.

Skafloc changed direction towards the main entrance. His senses told him a single person waited outside. Opening the small eye-level view window Skafloc saw the face of a young Sindorei man, sandy blonde hair and angular features.

" May I be of service?" asked Skafloc.

Tir's ears twitched as he saw the window open, and blinked at the face peering out at him. "My name is Tirdisar Hawkbrand. I've come to see Master Morgauth in congratulations of his new position in House Nex'Cruor."

He shifted to more appropriately show off the gift he carried. He gave a lazy grin to the caretaker at the door, trying to establish that he was no threat. Of course, the possibilities went through his mind of how his sudden appearance would be taken, but he still remained confident that he would be able to eek out some bit of information from both Morgauth and his grandfather out of the situation.

Skafloc's mouth twitched slightly into a grin at the stranger's name. "The Game is afoot and the players jockeying for position." thought Skafloc. He shut the small viewing door and released the bars and latched that secured the main oaken doors. Swinging them wide open he was presented with the full view of the man, Tirdisar. Skafloc bowed low.

" Welcome to the Nex'Cruor estate. I am Skafloc, the estate manager and majordomo. If you would but follow me my Lord, I will see you settled in the inner reception room while I announce your presence to Master Morgauth." Skafloc took 2 steps back and to the side and motioned for Tirdisar to enter. Once inside, he shut the heavy oaken doors and secured the latches. He then led Tirdisar to the sunny inner atrium.

There he motioned to a oaken couch. Beside the couch there was a small table on which was a pitcher of cool water, a smaller bottle of glowing blue liquid and a tray of biscuits and dried fruit.

" My Lord. Some fresh spring water, with some mana elixir to season it, and biscuits fresh from the kitchens this morning. Please, enjoy them while I announce you to the Master."

Skafloc bowed slightly then went off to Morgauth's study to announce the arrival of Lord Tirdisar Hawkbrand.

Morgauth looked up as Skafloc entered. Morgauth was wearing some kind of hat, fashioned from horned animal skulls. On the tip of each horn a light glimmered, blue and pulsating. In his hand Morgauth held a wine glass filled with liquid which gave off the same blue glow. A matching glow on his lips revealed that he had just taken a sip.

"Ah good!" Morgauth said. "You're bringing me the model already! Where is she, man?"

Clys held the page up to a candle, allowing the light to shine through it, casting sufficient shadows that she could read the text. The page was yellow with age, the edges flaking off and the corners missing.

"Morganeth...Morgantia....Morgonis...Morgun..." she muttered. "Blast! Nothing. Whoever he is, or was, I'm finding no record of him by the name Morgauth. Slippery devil probably didn't give his orginal name at all. But he can't disguise his entire persona. I will figure it out, eventually."

She dropped the paper onto the table and leaned back in her chair, absently running her claw-like fingers though her muddy brown hair.

"He seems to be taking to his new position like a dwarf to aged ale, though. Something in his behavior will give him away, I'm sure. Meanwhile, I hate to say it but it's nice to have him running things. I should hate him for stealing my body, but...I have that feeling, the one I never overlook. He's an asset, and a big one. I just wish I knew who the hell he really is."

She turned her eyeless face toward the ceiling, as if she could peer through it and see Morgauth in his study, above. She smiled, drawing the corners of her mouth back in a gentle way, her tiny fangs showing white against the darker skin of her lips.

"I never wanted a son. But now that I have one, I rather like it."

"Not exactly My Lord. You have a visitor. Lord Tirdisar Hawkbrand has arrived. I have set him to waiting in the reception atrium. I believe he has a gift for you." said Skafloc.

" By your leave. I will now see to the model. I will have her wating here for you for after your meeting with young Lord Hawkbrand."

Skafloc bowed, turned and left without waiting for a response. Skafloc allowed himself a slight smile as he tried to guess how many minutes the Master would keep Tirdisar waiting..