Viirchi

All the Passion's Gone Out: what to do if your character no longer interests you

On 11/1/2016 at 6:16 PM, Cavanaugh said:

I think finding stuff that really inspires you, like music, movies, other games, anything.

Theres lots of fun writers block busters that you can go to I think :-)

I agree. Sometimes when I am trying to think of something "new" for my character, like stated above I try different scenario ideas. Not just "what would they do in this situation?" but ways to re-write the character's story. In real life, as the saying goes "sh*t happens". So what kind of thing might have happened to your character? Be open-minded. Don't worry so much about where your character has been, but about where they THINK they are going. Obstacles always arise that change the course of our lives.

For a fun exercise, take any book... fiction, encyclopedia, dictionary, bible, whatever. Randomly open to a page and select a sentence or paragraph. Maybe even do this three or four times, choosing different books each time. Take notes on each one. Try to see if there is a way to make those notes fit into a story format. Now, what if that happened to your character? How would they react? How might it change their life?

Like everyone has said above, the key is finding something fun to do with your character. It's ok if they change and become a totally different person. It happens. Maybe they just change professions or hobbies. Or maybe they move to a new land and start a new life. There are many ways to breathe new life into a stale old character. If it doesn't work out, try again. Life is full of surprises!

Good luck!

• Like 1