Lilliana Bloodshine

How/Why You Choose Your Characters Name?

How'd your character get their name?

An Alliance named Lilly (oh, this is true in character too, hah!). it was 2004 and I was playing on the pvp server, Eredar. My troll was "Lilliana" of course (a shaman). An Alliance rogue guy named "Bluerogue" used to stalk the horde with just his daggers and a cape, he was naked otherwise. But he was good and would take many horde down. Back when we still mainly used the World of Warcraft discussion boards for particular servers, Bluerogue once named me and a group of other Horde he frequently killed with nice little role play names, and that's when I got the name "Lilliana Bloodshine". I kept it.

Yemana is a variation on Yemaya, a Yoruba mother goddess. Her tribes are the Runetotem (mother's side) and Grimtotem (father's side), but she doesn't really claim them as part of her name.

I forget why I first named Anina her name. I made her back in Wrath but when I started playing again right before WoD I deleted her because I didn't think I'd ever play her again. Then like two weeks later or w/e, I was playing Pokemon Y, one of the battles on Route 14 was against a Hex Maniac named Anina. So of course I had to undelete her.

anina.jpg

anina.jpg.beb3f890f1a07e6b9ebf123f1ff34e

My warlock Ketani was my first-ever WoW character, and I've dragged the poor thing through many different servers until we settled on Ravenholdt. That name was tweaked from a character in Legend of Zelda fanfiction I was in love with (and still am, tbh) named Ketari. In my sophomore year of highschool I got involved with a group of nerdy-type friends and four of us decided to write our own "story," what basically amounted to a giant DnD campaign story without the DnD rules or anything remotely resembling order. My character, a psionic assassin, was of course named Ketani--because what else would I have named her?! And then, when I first started playing WoW, I rolled a warlock with the psion's red hair and (though I didn't RP yet) gave the character many of her personality traits in my mind, so there was really no other option than to name the warlock Ketani.

A couple of years later when I rolled my rogue with the explicit intent of trying out this RP thing my boyfriend said was neat, I already had a character named Ketani and wouldn't that be awkward if I wanted to stick with RP and had two Ketani's? So I thought of a nickname I wouldn't mind being called (Kate) and settled on a name based on that. Thus, Katelle!

Breygrah is from when I was playing back in 2005 on Staghelm. I had a hunter named Garest at 19 and then Breygrah at 18 and all I would do is WSG. Even before I knew there was RP I wanted a Tauren sounding name while the friend that got me into playing in the first place had characters named Karrot, Kabbage and Kukumber. I read through the lore and looked for every tauren npc I could find and eventually came up with that.

Keraph is a derivation of Kerafyrm the Sleeper from Everquest, one of the most legendary pixel dragons in MMO history. (Kerafyrm could only be awakened once ever per server, and when that occurred he basically insta-killed even the best geared with a death touch aura as he tore a bloody path through a series of zones [the first time this had happened in a game where each zone was delineated by set borders and loading times between] toward his vengeance on those who imprisoned him in the first place). Keraphym was the name of my original Night Elf warrior (that I wanted to be a Demon Hunter so badly), and Keraph was a shortening of that, originally used on my Ragnarok Online Crusader, where the similarity to 'Seraph' fit the religious theme.

Cerryan is named so because I like soft 'C's, and I was being cheeky and wanted to put my real name in my character name.

Vumelil, my Blood Elf DK Vampire Lol, was the name of my very first Everquest character, a Dark Elf Warrior. I got the name from the random name generator, but it's stuck with me in gaming for the last 17 years! In homage to Everquest, his last name remains X'Vrinn, which follows EQ's standards for Dark Elf surnames.

I love these stories!

My first character was a priest on Horde side- but I didn't like (to play) trolls. So she was undead, named Fäith. This was back when special characters were illegal, but I didn't know it because who actually reads the ToS? Take my money Blizzard!

We were on the Venture Co server.

I got up to level 52 on Fäith, I was way behind the rest of my family the entire way, but I would heal dungeons under-level for them. It was very dangerous back then, but SO much fun. If I mis-timed a cast and pulled aggro, they had to murder it before it reached me because I was so tasty-looking there would be no pulling the mob off me. The turtle Bulwark tanked many an instance for our little group, and all the mobs were bright deadly red to my tiny little healer.

Anyway, we decided to be helpful to another hunter who was trying to tame a pet in Winterspring. My husband on a hunter, we all kept extra food in our bags for Bulwark, and arrows too, we understood hunter woes. So we tried to help. The hunter SUCKED, and despite our group keeping the wandering mobs away, keeping the potential pet snared or whatever it took back then, this hunter would just constantly fail or die. She got so mad, she trash-talked us in general and also apparently reported my name.

It was my very first RP character, and I was honestly emotionally devestated. It seems silly now, but no other name felt right for Fäith, and I believe that one single event led to us making our first server hop... to Ravenholdt. We rerolled and the rest is history.

My husband and I made a druid pair, but I also remade my priest. Fäith spoken in Gutterspeak becomes Aziri, I believe, which was taken. Aziris. Her last name became Faithshade :P

I was also lazy and used the same method to name my druid Aziris in Taurahe becomes Lomani.

Kerala was created and named after another server reroll. I leveled her as a bear to learn to tank, but always intended to heal with her in raids. Resto druids needed to heal in Tree of Life form.

"In some parts of the Caribbean and in the Philippines, the coconut is considered the 'tree of life' as its parts can easily be used for short/medium term survival such as for food, shelter, and various implements. Traditional areas of coconut cultivation in India are the states of Kerala.... Kerala has the largest number of coconut trees..."

After my husband gifted Aziris with a Jubling, all my other toons became named for frogs, but the original names for Aziris, Lomani, and Kerala have stayed.

Anura - scientific order for frogs

Coqui - Puerto Rican species of frog (father-in-law lived there at the time of her creation)

Chanchu - also 'Jin Chan' or the Money Toad, a popular Feng Shui charm for prosperity. According to one Chinese legend, the Jin Chan was the greedy wife of one of the Eight Immortals, who was transformed into a toad as punishment for stealing the Peaches of Immortality.

Pipapipa (warrior) - flattest toad species

Heget (DK) - Egyptian frog goddess (of fertility)

Awatu is a name I've held onto for a while. It came as I was mashing letters together to make a Tauren-sounding name. Worked out well! I went with the Stonespire tribe as they were relatively minor until Cataclysm. Awatu was a Shaman until Cata, when I transfered my Paladin to Horde-side.

Ignas is a shortening of 'Ignatius', which is the original name I wanted. Like, really wanted. I had no intention of really getting into RP (this was the beginning of BC and I was leveling characters to play with my coworker's raiding guild at the time), but I fell into it by chance. The name was never meant to be anything other than a handle in a game. I had Ignas adopt a last name, 'Mordanas', as he was an ambassador to the Alliance for his people and he felt that having a last name would make him more approachable. I had Mordanas mean 'Watch-keeper' or something similar in Draenic. Ignas mean 'Fire-light', or something similar. Which is ironic considering he would become a Sunwalker later.

Bor'ghul was my first true Horde character and I really wanted to go for the whole 'Gul'dan Warlock' feel with an Orc Warlock. Mashing various sounds together, I came up with a Warlocky name with Bor'ghul. One of my favorite characters I've made. His unofficial last name is 'Flamespeaker' as he used that name to hide the fact he was a Warlock during Blackhand's culling of the Shadow Council.

Previous to being in an rp server Faelenor was just a name my friend and i came up with because i didn't like the random gens. When he convinced me to move over to tn i had debated making a new character and going with that but instead i transfered Fael over. I took on the role of Aetheril's (my friend) step brother whos original name was Mardil. Mardil is Faelenor's real name. The history behind fael has to do with his time as a game hunter in stv. Dwarves gave him the name faelenor. A play on the word fail in common and an additional enor steming from playful stereotyping.

Following his return to silvermoon and his employment with the Undercity he took on the mantle of Arcturil (my rogues name) a mix of two of his most hated names at the time. Arcturus his fathers name and Mardil his original name.

Lastly Tarrixs my undead monks name comes from the name of my drow rogue. Tarrixs sarvan.

Myaka's name came about because I wanted her nickname to be Mya, it was a name I could be okay with being called too! So I played around in the name field until I found one that wasn't taken.

Syreena was a character I had back in AOL days, because "Serena" was taken, so I played with the spelling for my screen name, and used the same name for my first RP character in WoW.

Katrynne is based off another AOL character, Katarina, who was based on KatsEye, a character I played in a MUD before that, who was named after my favorite breakfast in college--a Kit Kat bar.

Aneerys is Syreena backwards. I think it was Zanas who called me that once, and I thought it would be perfect if I ever made Syreena's human counterpart.

Most of my other names are just either from the name generator or slight changes from the name generator ones.

Tes got her name from these two songs:

Sonsii-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e1JyWgVfnI

Tes River Hymn-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nla0UG2ATko

Kex'ti was the second MMO character I ever had (after my Runescape character, whose faceless exploits against Jungle Demons I otherwise forget his name). I played on a Ragnarok Online private server. I started right after Kingdom Hearts II came out, so the whole "name scramble plus X" thing seemed like an easy way to generate a name. I was, and continue to be, a big fan of .hack, so Kite+x->Kexti was pretty easy. The apostrophe just found its place in there because it gave me an excuse to treat it like an acronym (like RJ or JT, but the longhand of Arjay or Jaytee) and because I'm intellectually lazy and it felt like a cheap and dirty way of making it more fantasy sounding.

Sadly several of my character names were just made by typing stuff in randomly.

Selris: my priest was the first character I made on Ravenholdt back before I knew what RP was and I liked the sound of it

Dessim: Nothing more than 'missed' spelled backwards and I liked all the puns it opened up

Tahzani: My first troll. 'Ani' seemed like a somewhat common ending to several troll names i'd seen. I combined that with the cheer of tazdingo to make a legitimate looking name

Megeda: The reduced form of Megedagik which comes from the Alqonquian tribe's language and means 'Kills many'

Katrynne is based off another AOL character, Katarina, who was based on KatsEye, a character I played in a MUD before that, who was named after my favorite breakfast in college--a Kit Kat bar.

This is the best name origin story by far.

Nathaniel was named cause it was the most generic name I could think of.

Natalite is a theme following the Poor family tree.

Cicelle is the name of one of the first characters I ever wrote about, although today the Cicelle people know is very different than her past incarnations. Its also the name I will one day give my daughter.

Teiro the Hero, is a name I got from a friend who played wow a while back.

Drak'zon name is a fake mix name. Drak which in trollish means great but is normally at the end. See Zul'Drak

I made Aderlee because I wanted a name to start with the letter A, and tried to think of different names until I settled on Aderlee. He was the only character I named without RP in mind.

Tayissa wasn't my idea, one of my guildies was RPing a blood elf and would always complain ICly about her little sister, so I made that sister to annoy him and be funny, then I found I really like hunters. When I changed from Belf to Human, I kept the first name and used Steel for the surname.

Matthias was my first RP character I rolled, I was surprised it was available. I wanted something that sounded medieval and fitting for a farm boy. I've always been kind of keen on the name.

Xaraphyne -- In about 2005, my to-be-ex and I randomly started a new roleplaying plot in a sci-fi setting, and I decided to come up with the most obnoxious name I could. The story and the character ended up being lots of fun and we did a lot of writing for it. When he got me into WoW, I carried the name with me. It's still obnoxious though.

Filora -- A character from the same sci-fi story, whose name a friend I don't even remember anymore helped me come up with. Basically we just strung syllables together to make a feminine sounding name. She was the second character I rolled in WoW so I followed the theme of borrowing names from that story.

Julilee -- Actually from my oldest roleplaying character, Juli Lee, who was based off my childhood best friend and "imaginary game" (we were LARPing, we just didn't know what it was) partner Juliana Yee. Juli Lee was one of the main three protagonists of a story I started writing as a teenager where I made all my friends into elves. She was a sardonic, jaded assassin who became a pacifist later in life.

Tassha/Vionora/Siané -- Tassha was also from my old elf story, and I don't remember how I came up with adding the extra 's', I guess just to make it more fantasy. It was the original name of the main villain in the first plot. Vionora was also from the same elf story, and was another case of stringing syllables together to make something feminine I'm sounding pretty sure. She was the main villain of the second plot. Siané is a bastardization of Sinéad from

, as I decided Siané imagined it was spelled. Silly girl.

Nokokomah -- WoW name generator. I have no idea why I just went with a default. Maybe I liked it?

Narya -- I always liked the sound of it since I first heard it from someone making reference to Tolkien lore in some way, though I never knew what it was. One of my first little fantasy stories I wrote in junior high school had a character by this name.

Ardyan -- I think I just invented this when I decided to roll a male blood elf. He was originally a warlock on WrA and I reused the name when I decided to roll another male blood elf on TN.

Serramine -- A bastardization of Xaraphyne. I was lazy and didn't want to come up with something too different sounding to be called by when I first started getting into RP on Alliance side.

Barke was the name of the very first character I made in WoW on a server called Midevh. Brought on by the random name generator. I'm lazy enough to keep using it for my entire time playing.

Ulrezaj was minor character from SC lore. He originated as a Dark Templar scholar whose purpose was to archive Protoss history. Eventually, he grew bored with the task and started reading from the forbidden library section. He electrocuted seven of his friends and infused himself with their psionic energy. Power overwhelming!

Reading the book, I was extremely frustrated with Christie Golden. Every single time I saw Ulrezaj's name appear I was just like, "Man, this is an excellent troll name. I will give Ulrezaj a genuine identity." As a result, I rerolled on Twisting Nether to get involved in WoW's RP community. I have, in order to be legit with the Grim's ToS, added a very original Troll naming convention, a dash (Ul-Rezaj).

Cobrak - His is the simplest naming convention, when I first started WoW, I wanted something to make my character stand out. Cobrak would an orc hunter with a penchant for snakes, so he needed a snakey name. Cobra....naaah not really orcy enough. Cobra....with a k! PERFECT AND GENIUS.

Nath is a sillier version of character from another book I'm working on, altered to fit the WoW world. "Nathaniel" was taken, so the 'd' was tossed in to make it sound more elven (at least I hope it sounds more elven).

Tirion Fordring is kind of awesome, so Tirien is named after him.

Rhork is an edited Random Name Generator from the character creation.

Lohd just sounded nice.

Shokia from Pandaria leveling with the I changed to an R and an extra K = Shokkra

Karthok is a random name generator with some letters changed, so is Alakroz

Konro is my old Skyrim character's name which was originally Koron but it was taken on Ravenholdt so then Konro was born :P