Ostrich

The class and race of my character, Evangeline.

I've been working on a character that I want to use in my own media, possibly a webcomic. However, I like the character's theme a lot, and I'd love to bring them to life in WoW. I'm having some trouble however, deciding on a race and class for them. I'll give you the rundown on their character as I fleshed it out and the powers they have in the universe I created, and ask for suggestions on WoW classes that can help me bring them to life. I am willing to twist the theme and aesthetics of a class if it's mechanics fit the theme better. I've always valued game mechanics for their impact on narrative, and I'd much rather have the class mechanics reinforce the theme than have the class name reinforce the theme.

Evangeline began by my love of traditionally evil or dark characters turning out to be very nice people. Satan actually turning out to be a friendly, cheerful and forgiving being is amusing to me, but I like the idea more than for just it's humour. As I thought on these sort of concepts and idea began to form. A friendly neighborhood Grim Reaper. The original Evangeline was a young noblewoman, who was killed by a violent mob accosting her home in 1901. As she lay bleeding out, Death appeared before her, offering a proposition. Eva's father was a cultist, and was in the midst of a dark ritual, which if successful, would cost many thousands of lives. However, Death has no power over the living, and could do nothing to stop this ritual. Death told her of this, and asked for a trade, Death would make her immortal, grant her his power, in return, Death would possess her, she would have a responsibility to serve the world of the dead, helping troubled souls pass on, and while not in his job description, helping to keep things like the ritual currently taking place from coming to fruition. She agreed, with the power of a Reaper and a living human soul. Evangeline could affect both the living and dead.

I've tried out this original concept in WoW in the form of an undead Warlock, and while it does fit in some ways, it doesn't quite feel right. In addition, I've been developing the concept further, and with the newer, sleeker, more modern Evangeline, the warlock in it's current form might not be the right choice.

The new Evangeline has a currently undecided origin, but the core concept of young woman possessed by a Grim Reaper remains. However, this new Evangeline has their powers in 2015, not 1901, and they aren't the only Reaper. This new Evangeline's power level is far lower than that of the old one, with her literally being a friendly neighborhood Grim Reaper, with emphasis on the neighborhood. Currently I'm considering a few different classes for the concept, and a few different races as well. I prefer the horde to the alliance, so I've for the most part only been thinking of Horde races, but if you can convince me otherwise, feel free to suggest whatever you wish. Nothing is too outlandish for class and race combos, for example, a rogue attacking from the shadows with twin blades (transmogged into scythes) could fit. The classes and races I'm considering are listed below, but the point of this post is to seek suggestions from others.

Classes:

Warlock: Wielding fel magics at range, and with something of an emphasis on draining life from their foes, the Affliction Warlock fit's the concept well, however, the newer Evangeline has moved away from casting, and has become more melee focused, so I'm not really feeling the Warlock. Sadly, there is no melee warlock spec.

Demon Hunter: Thankfully however, there is a warlock style class that fights in melee. Unfortunately, the Demon Hunter won't be out until some time next year, and additionally, I fear that the class mechanics of the Demon Hunter will be too strongly tied to their role in the lore for it to fit my character. That said, I'll be keeping a close eye on this class.

Priest: The priest may fit even better than the Warlock, but suffers the same lack of melee issue. I've never played a priest, so I don't know much about them.

Death Knight: The Death Knight seems to a very good fit, though I've never played one, and I'm not sure about it's class mechanics. This is one that I'll be really looking for suggestions on, how does it play? What themes do it's mechanics enforce?

Paladin: While it may seem completely opposite to my goal, it is in that opposition that makes me think that the paladin might fit really well. If it's mechanics can fit the character, I feel that the paladin could be a very thematically powerful class for this concept. I've not played one, and I'd like advice on this one, much like the Death Knight.

Races:

As I said above, I prefer the Horde to the Alliance, though I can probably be easily swayed if I get a good suggestion. The new Evangeline is notably punk, and I've had a hard time finding the undercut hairstyle I want for her in any of the races thus far, though there are more hairstyles not available at creation, so if a race has that hair available, I'll definitely be checking them out. The races I'm considering so far are:

Blood Elf: Blood Elves are the most human looking of the available horde races, in addition, they have access to the Paladin, which I have hopes for as a suitable class.

Goblin: Goblins are very punk. They have access to a lot of different classes, and I quite like their voice and general demeanor.

Orc: Orcs are cool, and I like their animations. That's about it, no downsides to being them, aside from the class options.

Draenei: The draenic accent is nice, I like their voice, their appearance works well for a possessed character. The only downside is the lack of warlocks (missed opportunity there, newly corrupted draenei or draenei using fel powers for the greater good would be cool, and really fitting for this character).

Night Elf: Athletic, fit, and tall. They visually could work very well. No Warlocks, but will get Demon Hunters.

If you've slogged all the way through to the end, thanks, I'm not sure what to do here, and I'm really hoping for suggestions. I also understand that the character is very Mary Sueish, don't worry, Evangeline isn't being just dumped into the wow universe, the Evangeline I created is mine, and I hope to tell some cool stories with her in my own universe, but this is the World of Warcraft, the specifics of how she functions in this world will be highly dependent on the race and class combo she ends up being, whether a death knight, paladin infused with the power of the Valkyr, a demon hunter with a particularly Reaperlike demon within them, etc.

Maybe it's too obvious but based on your description, Forsaken Unholy Death Knight seems to be a decent choice. You get the whole "Killed but not dead" thing, and DK, especially unholy, is a melee-based warrior class that gets right into the thick of it using martial might and necromantic power. Unholy specifically focuses on control of the dead and the energies of undeath (As opposed to Blood which is more vampiric, or Frost which is borderline melee frost mage). You even get an undead pet/buddy that you can use for RP, and some glyph-based appearance options to have a skeleton or geist instead of a zombie if that fit better.

Forsaken also have killer punk-esque hairstyles, and some of my favorite Forsaken RPers have been ones who bucked the "Dark and gloomy" trend and turned out to be very happy, sociable corpses! There's also some pretty strong lore to reinforce beings who are able to offer a dying person the option to not die, at some sort of tradeoff. The Valkyr who serve Sylvanas do basically this exact thing as part of their service to the Forsaken, and nothing says that being Forsaken means you have to be super evil or hate all life!

I agree with Keraph on the undead race choice. Plus with your background of being a noble, you could easily use the background of any of the human kingdoms that were invaded by the Scourge, or Gilneas as it was invaded by the Forsaken in Cataclysm. Also the name Evangeline sounds particularly Gilnean, or undead as the case may be. Alternatively, if you wanted to be undead without all the bones sticking out, you could just be a human DK, although I understand you would prefer a Horde race. Blood Elf DK also works particularly well given the background and theme.

I like the bones, it's very macabre! However, as an Undead player for the last decade I've never understood why I'd need to take a full suit of totally normal, functioning armor and break it apart just so my bones were visible. I mean maybe it's an enemy intimidation thing? (That's the main reason Keraph uses Cannibalize, not because he particularly enjoys eating corpses but because it wreaks emotional havoc on the enemy.)

I say embrace the bones, because it reinforces the fantasy of the race (And that seems to be what Blizz is all about these days anyways), but if you decide to land elsewhere for race, I think that Unholy DK is still a very viable class choice.

I actually disagree with limiting yourself to Forsaken, as Death Knights have many an undead "skin" that they have available for any race that can be a death knight. Play with the faces and skin colors and you'll have a proper one for you. That being said, taking another idea from within WoW lore, a Draenei Shadow Priest may be another good idea, though shadow magic is rather closely tied to the old gods so that may not be the best fit. Hell, were it possible, I would suggest a draenei warlock, seeing as the transition into the demonic wasn't necessarily something that they had any real choice about.

Since you're leaning toward melee, my recommendation is actually a draenei death knight with one of the more undead looking skins.

Edit: fixed a mistake

I probably won't be going with Forsaken (though I can always race change later on), as the character isn't meant to be dead, just back from the dead. As of right now, I'm gonna give an Unholy DK a shot, though I'll be keeping the Forsaken Warlock around, as if a Warlock would fit an RP event better, I can always just switch on over for that event.

Still not certain on the race, but that can always be altered, class is more permanent. Gonna be trying a bunch out and checking for hairstyles and how their voice sounds. The modern Evangeline is a friendly Gamer Girl, so I'll be trying to get that sort of feel across in the race. I'd love if I could put in modded hairstyles, but I understand why that sort of customisation could be easily abused.

WoWScrnShot_121715_173242.jpg

WoWScrnShot_121715_175817.jpg

WoWScrnShot_121715_173242.jpg.f962e4a588

WoWScrnShot_121715_175817.jpg.3fc6d8c457

The modern Evangeline is a friendly Gamer Girl, so I'll be trying to get that sort of feel across in the race.

In-universe Hearthstone nerd, perhaps? xD

Being the least decisive human being who's ever lived, I've run a Blelf through the starting zone, and now I'll be running a goblin through, and I'll be sticking with whichever one I like best.