Sign in to follow this  
Xaraphyne

Groups Button & Widget

Hey Mortica, I suggested this to Keraph, but he hasn't been able to figure it out yet -- would it be possible to add a "Groups" button on the main navigation bar, the thing directly below the TNG banner, like between "Forum" and "Blogs"?

Another idea was that on the main forum display page, a "Groups" widget added on the side like we have the recent blogs and recent forum posts widgets would be great too.

Groups are unfortunately buried right now on the site but they could really be put to good use, especially with things like the Alliance Coalition, or specific plots/storylines that people run.

Thank you for everything you do!

Adding the Groups Nav button is easy enough. I'll have to look into whether there is a feed for the groups or not. Groups are a little weird permission-wise, I *think* if there is such a thing it will only show posts from groups that you are a member of.

I have added both of these requests. I think people will need to make sure their privacy settings are the way they want. If you can see a group post, you will see it. You should not see posts from groups you do not have permission to see. I think. This may need testing.

Awesome! I had to make a test group post before the widget showed up, probably because I hadn't had any posts in groups I'm in recently, but it looks like it works. Thank you very much!

I have verified that privately set groups do not show up for those without permissions.

I should probably note, in case it is not obvious, that as an admin, myself and Keraph can see all posts, whether we want to or not.

It does appear that the widget may only shows new threads and not new posts in existing threads. Unless maybe it only picks up threads that were created after the widget was added?

Naheal responded to an old thread in the BT group but I don't see his response in the widget.

It won't show the last post automatically. I could probably change the code, but it would take more brain cells and time than I have right now. It will at least update the counter for the number of replies and when the last reply was made and by whom.