Marrus_Luminus

[A/H] Coalition v Grim (First Blood)

Yes, there are a lot of things happening tonight.

1) tonight is the 7 day deadline. Syreena is supposed to present a prisoner at Bladefist Bay to surrendering Alliance (EA/JL) forces

2) Grim forces are hitting another target during the distraction

3) obviously, the prisoner is not Skylah. McKenzie is being moved to another location, but that is classified IC knowledge!

4) TE might be having a rescue party?

4) surprise shenanigans!

I know it's a lot, and developing quickly. Suffice to say, this is only the beginning of what we hope will be a longer and fun conflict in the Barrens.

Khorvis- based on the timing of all of this, I physically will not be able to have Shaelie there because I will be elsewhere on another account at that time. Maybe for the ease of storytellling, Khorvis can order Shaelie to join the Grim forces elsewhere, and assign another Grim to assist with what we spoke about last night.

That way, Shaelie can be fighting as an NPC in the other location, leaving me free to handle 'other business'. :)

If we want to make everything more streamlined we can just say everything is at 8pm server. The Bay party, the Grim's other attack, and the Rescue mission. We just need a couple Grim to fight at the prison, probably those that were to see to the moving of the prisoner. I think Filora is game for a fight already.

8:00 works for the surprise rescue mission for me, but I think folks were on board for 7:30 anyway. Plus, if we don't take too long on it, folks can go from there to one of the other events.

Now, question -- who on the Alliance is actually planning on showing up in Bladefist Bay? Maybe this has been worked out already, but I haven't heard anything and want to make sure.

The way I see it, since TE is mounting their rescue attempt, it seems like they wouldn't see any reason to bother showing up to Bladefist Bay, where the Grim demanded the Coalition give up their arms in return for Skylah. If any Alliance did intend to show up, it could be Coalition folks who volunteered to be 'decoys' and pretend to play along to better help the rescue operation be successful; or if they weren't informed of the surprise rescue attempt, they could want to go try to rescue Skylah where they *think* she's going to be. A few Horde folks were pretty excited for that meeting, so it would be awesome if some Coalition folks did want to show up and RP there!

*Edit: Khorvis says he coordinated with EA for Bladefist Bay. Excellent!

I'll see what forces I can spare. It's a raid night for the Grim, so we are likely to be few.

Shaelie, you do what you need to. I have a few other options.

8pm server is probably best for all events, you're right Skylah.

Surprise prisoner rescue operation has been officially moved to 8:00. Shaelie, you're in!

I'll be on about 7:15 to start coordinating and discussing how we want to handle this. Unfortunately, Shaelie and I aren't great PvPers, so in-game PvP wouldn't be that much fun for us, or presumably anyone fighting us. But we'll see if we get any additional backup and decide how we want to do things this evening. :)

Tonight was fantastic!

Will we continue with the other skirmishes that were already mentioned? I think the next is supposed to be tomorrow night. How will that work?

I'm not sure about the other planned skirmishes so I'm really no help on that, Nikaa. =[ But I did want to say that I had a lot of fun at our battle last night and really appreciate everyone working so well together! Even if Skylah did get shoved in a portal... *grumbles* xD

You know who to blame for that! Hehehe.

Sounds like no one has any specific plans for tonight? It is the Grim's PvP night, and they do like to hit that old Tanaan base for funsies. But maybe they'd even be interested in a war game! Do you guys think the numbers could be rustled up on both sides tonight for the latter? If not, we can default to the former.

My thoughts on how last night went:

1. I had a good time, even getting my butt kicked.

2. We learned that cross-faction communication can be tricky. We worked around it by creating a battletag conversation. It worked, but I don't know if that is the most efficient method. Not everyone was included because A) not all of us are Bnet friends and B) it was a sort of slapdash, lastminute thing. Going forward, it also may not be the perfect solution because it essentially forces people to opt into becoming Bnet friends. I am willing to listen to other ideas for communicating between factions. Maybe a third party program like an XMPP client? That of course could also be cumbersome, explaining to new parties for how to join in. Lastly, we also must keep in mind the RP aspect of languages and the actual ability to speak with each other.

3. We started a bit late, because we were waiting on one player to arrive. Their lateness was totally out of their control due to RL emergency stuff, but in the future, we may just have to roll with what we've got at the set start time. I apologize to everyone who attended for our late start. That was my call and one I'm not too happy about.

4. OOC communication of plans. I think this event was a novel experiment in trying to keep my cards close to my chest. It's also probably a symptom of having little interaction with Alliance guilds, and only knowing you all at the end of a sword. That said, the sheer complexity of hiding our assault on Northwatch Hold, hiring mercenaries (Borrowed Time) to hit Astranaar and a few other spots, having Tesonii impersonate Skylah, AND move the prisoner to a new secret location was a bit much. I also think the secrecy alienated players (not characters) and that is always a bad thing. Going forward, I would like to be very open OOC and give all the details. I should be willing to trust that my fellow roleplayers can maintain that wall between OOC and IC knowledge.

5. Explicit win/lose parameters. Not much to say here, other than that it would be nice to have some more hashed out goals for each skirmish. I know that Skylah didn't want to have her character released from captivity quite yet, but I do think that the Alliance did a good job in their rescue attempt and should have been rewarded. I feel good about Tesonii being captured - that was a proper reward.

All in all, I'm having fun, though come next week I will be absent for Thanksgiving holiday trips. Here's to more war!

5. Explicit win/lose parameters. Not much to say here, other than that it would be nice to have some more hashed out goals for each skirmish. I know that Skylah didn't want to have her character released from captivity quite yet, but I do think that the Alliance did a good job in their rescue attempt and should have been rewarded. I feel good about Tesonii being captured - that was a proper reward.

We did discuss this quite a bit amongst those of us involved in the prisoner rescue attempt, actually.* It was pointed out that while that battle was slated to be a 'loss' for the Alliance, there was a 'win' slated for elsewhere -- Tesonii being captured at the docks seemed like it was pretty much expected. I did offer to let Filora be captured if they won, but after being reminded that Tesonii was going to be taken, I didn't want to steal her thunder. In the end, there was lots of OOC acknowledgement that the Alliance side won at the PvP, their characters saw where the Horde fled to, Shaelie and I played our characters as beaten the hell up afterward, and I did integrate Resileaf's request that Filora take an arrow to the knee, haha.

I think everyone was pretty happy to be good sports about it and play their roles to serve the plot. I absolutely see the concern and would not want to tax their goodwill, though. If I'd been able to come up with something more concrete to reward them with, I would have, but it seemed like neither side had any larger ideas that would work with what was needed for the plot in this case. I appreciate their sportsmanship about it and I'm sure Skylah does too, and of course the Grim will be glad to return the concession whenever needed.

* I was talking to Skylah, Katelle, Mack, and Rorrek individually, all at different points and about different portions of the above, so I'm not sure how much they relayed to each other, and each of them might not have been aware of everything here. But this was the picture I got on my end!

I am honestly very amazed that everything worked out so well last night, given that people were learning new things and altering plans and the like that very same day. It says some great things about our community's ability to react and adapt, but I know it also caused some ultimately unnecessary frustrations and confusion.

I do agree that it's nice to have some things left as a surprise, but only to a point. I can't and won't speak for others, but I get very anxious and flustered when there are things going on that I'm unaware of but still expected to incorporate into plans for my path and my guild. I have been known to have panic attacks caused by being told I should prepare for something but not being told what it is. I need that prior knowledge before a big reveal, especially on an involved arc, so that I can prepare myself mentally to deal with it and to make sure I've got my IRL settled enough that I CAN deal with it (and do so properly). Otherwise, yes I'm an officer in my guild and yes I'm responsible for orchestrating my Keepers' assignments and tasks and etc., but my schoolwork should rightfully come first and that RP stuff may simply have to be shoved off on somebody else or shoved to the back burner altogether if im I'm on a tight work schedule... Which isn't fair to be people it affects, either. Of course, not every has this issue, and that's fine too! My favorite part about RP isn't the surprised that come with it, but the act of RPing them out as my character, even if I already know OOCly what's going on. Others like the surprises and even prefer them, which is great too. It would be awesome if we could figure out a way to combine the best of both worlds when sharing information OOCly and make as many people happy as we can!

Goodness, I'm extra long-winded today. Sorry guys.

You know who to blame for that! Hehehe.

Sounds like no one has any specific plans for tonight? It is the Grim's PvP night, and they do like to hit that old Tanaan base for funsies. But maybe they'd even be interested in a war game! Do you guys think the numbers could be rustled up on both sides tonight for the latter? If not, we can default to the former.

Any thoughts on this? I think Leyujin and co. could be game for a war game tonight if Alliance can gather folks! This sort of thing can also be coordinated in-game as well when we see who's available.

So I put this in the shoutbox earlier. Monday the 23rd is fast approaching and I would like this to be Skylah's rescue date. I feel this is a good day as we know that Khorvis is taking off on the 24th, and ending this leg of the arc before the Holiday gatherings would be nice. With the alliance win at the rescue attempt, some vital clues were obtained as Filora mention (the location given by the portal is big clue to me at least). Ideas are already in the works and I will to my best to keep everybody up to date. If there are any thoughts you wish to share with me or run by me, please feel free. I know Mackinzie is off to the races, and may she see her sister soon!

I keep saying it over and over, but I can't tell you how happy it makes me that people are finding fun in this arc. Hopefully we keep it up for a long time.

** Also, this may lead to a pvp conflict. So, any pvp'ers looking for fight, keep an eye out for details on Monday. :)