Sign in to follow this  
Kerala

Challenge Issued!!

Writers, I'm throwing down the gauntlet!

Here is your challenge:

During the month of October, you must write one short story, dialogue, song, or poem each day, to end up with 31 total entries.

These entries must be related to World of Warcraft. Each entry will be inspired by one song, with or without lyrics, to be selected RANDOMLY from a computer playlist or shuffled Pandora selection, or other similar source. The songs should all be ones you like- you may skip/pass the ones you don't- but please do not try to manipulate the list! You may take inspiration from the song in any way you wish- the sound, the lyrics, the title, anything that strikes you. (More obscure trains of thought should be explained to satisfy curiosity! An example would be an entry describing a happy event matched to a depressing tune- how did that come to be?)

Entries should be written IN ORDER of song selection. This is part of the challenge! Get stuck on a particularly hard song? Good! Figure out something to put down for it- remember these entries do not have to be especially substantial.

Every effort should be made to complete one entry per day- but creativity is a fickle thing. Sometimes you've got it- sometimes you don't. Therefore- all 31 entries must be submitted before midnight on NOVEMBER 1st. Please do not record your song list or start writing before October 1st.

All 31 entries must be posted within a single thread per participating player, so as not to spam the forums. Please title it with the words "Writing Challenge 2015" included. The first post should be your song list, you may post all your songs at once, or reserve the space to add them as you go.

Examples HERE and HERE

The goal is to prod you to action! Do not participate if you think this will be a chore- that's not the point. This is an oportunity to write without constraint of current RP arcs or characters, to tell parts of character backstory that have not been seen, or to just be creative (and of course share music!).

HAVE FUN!

Comment Thread - Comments are made here to keep the Challenge threads clean and streamlined.

The Life and Death of Kex'ti Dalendala - Kexti's

Soldier Hymns - Mortica's

Here and There - Aaren's

Forge a path - Naheal's

Family - Cobrak's

Bawdy Ballads - Sinlanna's

Tadpole Tales - Kerala's

Things Keep Changin' - Tirien's

From Beauty to Beast - Syreena's

*cracks knuckles* Let's do this, at the appropriate time on October 1st with a completely random playlist except for being bands/songs that we enjoy. TO HONOUR!

I kinda want to reverse my Oct 12th and Oct 13th songs... but then a semi-disjointed story might make for an interesting read.

The order of events will be out of order for what I'm writing, but I'll stick a timeline in at the end of the month.

Naheal, this is why there is a timeline included in all my character biographies. The list for Aziris was mostly done when she was my main character for the Oct 2010 challenge (I WISH I could remember the origins of it >.<), and Kerala's list is more recently- February 2014.

I had intended to make it a bi-annual challenge... but got really sad when I realized it wasn't 2016 yet, and figured oh well. Again, I have the craving for stories!

Edit to add: wow, great start! Those that have posted, I love them! Those with song lists revealed- SQUEE, I can't wait!

Remember- you don't have to write novels for these. Nor do you have to use this challenge to reveal every detail about your character- IF you don't want to.

I'm off to finish stealing the music from my husband's computer and stuff it all in aplaylist to shuffle and get in on this!

Naheal, this is why there is a timeline included in all my character biographies.

I was referring to a more modern writing technique wherein the author intentionally writes the events of a story out of order and, as the work progresses, fills in the details on what was going on to complete the full picture of the story. It's odd and feels disjointed, but it also feels somewhat like you're putting a puzzle together.

Kerala it's really smart to include timelines in your writing so often, especially since you write so much. I've always liked that you do that and I'm sure that takes a good bit of time to sort through everything even yourself.

Yeah, I always appreciate how organized your stuff is, too. I'm super excited to be doing this, thank you so, so much for facilitating it. :)

I might need help with making a list? I don't often listen to music and when I do it's really only to a band or two (mostly Imagine Dragons). I'm not super familiar with Pandora or Spotify either, so, anyone able to PM me over Bnet or here on the forums? I'd appreciate it.

I'll poke around those places for l little to see what I can do though.

**EDIT***

So I poked around Spotify and located music I've listened to. From there I visited a few Bands and saved some albums to my playlist. Gonna Google how to create a Shuffled Playlist on Spotify then post from there.

I was referring to a more modern writing technique wherein the author intentionally writes the events of a story out of order and, as the work progresses, fills in the details on what was going on to complete the full picture of the story. It's odd and feels disjointed, but it also feels somewhat like you're putting a puzzle together.

Kind of like the movie Memento? I get ya. Sounds difficult, but cool!

Kind of like the movie Memento? I get ya. Sounds difficult, but cool!

It has potential. I was running into problems with what to do for today's, since most of the songs that I had lean toward combat scenes, so I decided to try something completely new. I tend to drench my characters in symbolism, so I figured "why not go whole hog today?"

Came together to be a very surreal piece. After reading it a few times, i'm actually satisfied with how it turned out.