Sign in to follow this  
Naheal

A Brown Tome With an Hourglass on the Front

*Each entry is date and time-stamped*

Borrowed Time's garrison, Frostfire Ridge

It's been a long time since I've written in a journal, but I'm being tasked to be a "watcher" by Kerradormi. "Take down every event," she said, "no matter how insignificant it seems." When I asked if I was to remain impartial, she simply said "You're only an elf." I guess that means that I should just keep a journal updated, then. So here we are.

War status: Tanaan Invasion

We're at something of a stalemate out there against the Shadow Council, but there seems to be a coming break. It's difficult to see, but there are cracks being formed in the enemy's defenses. That being said, there's a "new breed" of fel orc - really, just the old breed... why can no one remember that? - that's romping around. A few mentioned how the orcs seem to be getting more and more aggressive. I don't think that they rememeber just *how* aggressive they were when they first came through. Stormwind was no match. These orcs are being pushed into a blood haze that'll last until the Legion's finished with them.

While it's interesting to see history play out this way, I find myself resenting Kairozdormu for his interference with the timestreams, but he seems to be just the first.

Personal note: Artillery needs a resupply. Contact the Coldstar Merchant Company in an attempt to get munitions. Another option is to take another barge.

The Infinites

I was contacted earlier with information regarding an offer from the Timewalkers: Assist in ensuring that the timestream remains pure and they'll help "twist fate in our favor." It may be out of character for them to do so, but I think I know what they're going to do: A brief glympse in the future to assist in arming us for this campaign. Not a bad idea, but I can't help but think that this will cause problems down the road. Regardless, I've informed Kex'ti of the Tanaan Offensive of this offer.

Personal note: Take Julilee on some missions for the Timewalkers. She may appreciate the look into the past.

The Horde and the Alliance

Ever since the incident at the Iron Docks, I've treated the Alliance as being at open war with the Horde. Perhaps this is a mistake, but I find that time and time again, when I turn my back upon the Alliance, I find a dagger there. No more. They keep proving themselves to be aggressive and as much of a threat as the Iron Horde and they'll be dealt with accordingly, so I fight them as any would. I even joined a small Grim raiding party in Stormwind last night.

That said, would destruction of the Alliance be wise? They're a threat, yes, but would it truly stabilize Azeroth? After all, Khadgar's technically Alliance and he's our greatest resource against the Shadow Council. What path should we take?

Signed,

Naheal Malastar

Vol'mar, Tanaan Jungle

War report

If there was any doubt about the Alliance and Horde being in open war before, those doubts are all but gone now. What started as a small raiding band around Tanaan ended up snowballing into a raid against Vol'mar itself. I'm not entirely certain who instigated it, but, at this point, pointing fingers does nothing for the war at large. With a group of Grim at the helm and some of Borrowed Time's members filling in spots, we went on to take Lion's Watch in retaliation and very well did so for a time, until an Alliance group pushed us out and back to Vol'mar.

Munitions report

9 full volleys of cannon fire

7 personal rockets

I've taken some of Borrowed Time's stockpiled gold and used it to restock our adrenals, flasks and food. We're still in need of ammunition, personal shields, cloaking fields, and salves, though.

On a personal note, I'll need to replace my shield soon. I can almost see through the thing.

Personal notes

The children have returned to the garrison. With that, it seems that the last of the family's back. Wonder how long it'll last.

Signed,

Naheal Malastar

Borrowed Time garrison, Frostfire

Juli's head is hopefully fixed, but at a hefty cost. I wonder if she'll ever trust again. It's out of my hands, though. She's another that I've pushed away. "Lord" Liene said that someone else would take my place... Light, I hope not.

Hope. Really, is it worth it? At the end of the day, it seems that hope is little more than a venom. Hope led me to extinguish one of the few lights left in this world. What more is there in this world to fight for?

*Borrowed Time's garrison, Frostfire*

Redemption isn't available to everyone. It's about time I start acting like it's not coming and just press forward.

Threat assessment:

The Grim: As a whole, not dangerous to the Horde due to their philosophy, though several members of the Grim have proven time and again that they have little concern for the Horde as a whole. They may need to be eliminated. Quietly. Should civil war break out, it's likely they'll instigate it.

Sanctuary: Harmless as a whole. Despite my crimes against them, they seem willing to simply hold me accountable, not my company as a whole. Cerryan's a possible candidate for an instigator of a civil war.

The Blackguard: A group led by someone who's very nearly a fanatic for Sylvanas. Should Lady Windrunner decide that the Horde has become an obstacle, she'll be a threat, as will the Blackguard. Have a plan to eliminate or disarm them in case that becomes necessary.

The Alliance: Varies too much from group to group to make a blanket statement. However, the events leading up to now have firmly placed our relations in open war. Ergo, Alliance in Tanaan is to be eliminated.

Individuals:

Syreena: Untrustworthy, dangerous, and a potential threat to the Horde. Should either be put on an exceedingly tight leash or sent to Acherus for parts.

Cerryan: Not a threat.

Julilee: A threat only if Sanctuary's threatened.

Kex'ti: A potentially dangerous enemy should he ever turn from Sanctuary's path.

Jinsai: Search and destroy. No quarter. The only mercy he's to receive is a swift death.

Darethy: A potentially large threat should Sylvanas turn on us. He should be considered in the same camp as Sylvanas in all things.

Serinar: Missing. He needs to be tracked and killed.

Civil war is to be avoided at all costs.

*There are markings in draconic across the bottom of the entry*

*Borrowed Time's garrison, Frostfire*

Syreena threatened me in broad daylight in the middle of Warspear by hurling a dagger at my feet. I responded as any proud member of the Horde would and beat her into submission. I now own her daggers. This will end in war between the Grim and Borrowed Time.

They will bend knee or they will be annihilated, should it come to war.

Civil war is to be avoided at all costs.
This will end in war between the Grim and Borrowed Time.

They will bend knee or they will be annihilated, should it come to war.

[[ /facepalm ]]

Vol'mar, Tanaan

I wonder how long the veil of civility can last between Syreena and myself. It's possible that she recognizes the larger threat, which is unlikely, that she legitimately thinks that we're on good-ish terms, which is ludicrous, or she simply doesn't wish to incur the ire of her superiors within the Grim, which is the most likely thing. If it's the last, I need to stay on my toes. It's unlikely, but I could see her going after my company rather than me and, given Aaren's bedside manner of a dying cicada, it's entirely possible she'd try to solve two irritations with one blow.

Provided she doesn't get in the way and doesn't go after my people, I don't foresee future issues.

I've spent some time reflecting on the events of Grim Batol. I stand by my decision to use the Plague. Horrible of a weapon as it is and as horrible of a cost as it was, Morinth had to be stopped. Even if Serinar's still on the loose, possibly with the Hollowrot, Morinth was the sort of threat that had to be eliminated wholesale. To back it up, I'd like to do a case study of the culling of Stratholm, possibly one of the most heinous acts of Arthas Menethil before he became the Lich King.

While the slaughter of innocents isn't something that should be condoned ever, inaction can easily lead to an even greater tragedy. Information that I had pointed to her using Fel Reavers equipped with canisters using the Hollowrot as a sort of amplifier being set upon villages in the Twilight Highlands. While the Dragonmaw aren't exactly the nicest of clans, Hellscream's alliance with them put them firmly with the Horde. What's more, use of these reavers wouldn't have been limited to these villages. While we could have eventually taken them down, the collateral damage of doing so - as well as the time taken to eliminate them - would have resulted in countless innocents dying. What's more, had even a single Morinth clone gotten out, she could have easily forced newcomers into her fold. Mind control's a bitch like that.

In much the same way, Stratholm simply had to be culled at the time. Horrific as it was, the Plague needed to be contained and, frankly, Prince Arthas did exactly what a king needed to do. He protected his kingdom. He protected his people. Where he went wrong comes down the line and, frankly, abandonment from the Silver Hand and the people he considered to be close did nothing to help that. had the Plague not been contained, it would've simply continued to spread and made the Eastern Plaguelands just that much worse. Arthas eventually turned upon his kingdom - an act that I must never do myself - but the point remains that his decision there was the right one.

In a similar vein, the use of the Plague at Grim Batol was a necessity. Morinth had already shown a tendency to swap from individual body to individual body and, while the Grim stated that they "had a plan," their vagueness and reliance upon fel magic meant that she wouldn't be destroyed. Rather, she'd likely remain imprisoned in a soul shard, waiting for the next idiot for her to possess. She had to be eliminated. I refuse to force someone else to deal with our problems. When I gave the order to pull back, I had waited as long as we could. Much longer and she would've escaped. I gave people what time I could, then fired. Grim Batol's land itself is cursed - the Plague couldn't do much more to it - so we had no real loss there. Losses for the Grim and Sanctuary, however, were something that could have been avoided had we been more open with what we were planning. A proper warning to get out could have saved the lives of our people. I may never be forgiven for that decision, but I don't need to be. If the horrors of wars like that can be made apparent, then fear of war itself will inspire peace.

Morinth is gone. Serinar remains. Information points to him being in the alternate Draenor... which honestly scares me a little. His flight, the Black Flight, worked with Kairozdormu to release Garrosh Hellscream to create this mess. With Kairoz all but confirmed to be an infinite... it means that the Infinite may be able to get a hold of the Hollowrot. The moment they get their hands on it is the moment that we lose Azeroth. The capacity to travel in time and the lack of a desire to preserve the timestreams would mean that they will have unlimited access to all resources they need to make it. He needs to be found and eliminated.

I don't have the luxury of rest or doubt anymore. Indecision cost me my closest friend before and, now, it can cost us far more than that. We need information on Serinar and we need it now.

Borrowed Time's garrison, Frostfire

It's hard to say where to begin. I chose to remain behind after the Tanaan Offensive pulled out of Hellfire Citadel in an attempt to find out who we're dealing with. Everyone had suspected Gul'dan, and it's very possible that he's still down there, but there was another sigil that I recognized. Archimonde. An evil that had once threatened Azeroth and required destroying the World Tree to kill him. Honestly, he scares the shit out of me more than any other enemy we've ever come across. Even Accalia. That being said, I did run across another threat.

Kallavan. A Black Dragonsworn in the service of Serinar. I crossed blades with him in Hellfire Citadel and barely escaped thanks in no small part to the Deadshots, some of Borrowed Time, and Julilee. Seeing her was a surprise - why would she bother coming? - but it didn't matter. She helped watch the backs of the people I care about. Even if she continues to hate me, I will have to thank her for that. That an this new shield that she gave me.

"Gave." I'll return it when we've found peace and it's time for me to go.

My arm was crippled in a fight with Kallavan and has been replaced. Constructing the thing took a lot of damned work, but it wouldn't have been possible to be done so quickly without Rekkit, Biggwrixx and Hug's help. With that out of the way, we can get back to focusing on **writing stops**

I've just received word from Kerri that the Timewalkers are requesting assistance, either to catalog Northrend's history or to defend it from the Infinite. Time to get to recruiting.

I'm a father. Over the past couple weeks, that's slowly sunk in. I'm a father. I can only hope that I'll live up to the task. Speaking of which, Isadore's come from the future to collect wayward timetravelers. However, I've been informed of the temporal war with the Infinites occurring in her time. With that happening, all the normal rules of conduct go out the window. She needs help. Her people need help. We will provide it.

This log will serve as a log for all times I am traveling the stream. Should I meet with another traveler, we'll need to compare notes and see where we are in the other's timeline.

Drakonids attacked the garrison yesterday, though we beat the ever loving fuck out of them. Apparently, the Hollows are far from kind when dealing with folks like us. Well. Good fucking luck to them, I say. And thanks for the dragon hides. Isadore will have new clothes by the end of the week.

We're under contract to "defend Sanctuary," not "assist Sanctuary." We are there to prevent the injury and potential death of Taozhu. At this point, Sanctuary and the Grim can kill each other to their hearts content for all I care. Nothing will ever stop them from killing each other until one side or the other is completely obliterated.

"Sanctuary will rise from the ashes."

What a load of shit. Still, she plays at war. Still, she glorifies parts of it. Still, she places herself on a pedestal. Still, she believes she's above the horrors of war because she's "honorable" and "good." Maybe because she pursues "justice." She doesn't realize that this makes her the worst kind of hypocrite. The Grim at least know what they do - they slaughter innocents. Sanctuary, though? They glorify war. They call certain means of fighting "good" and others "evil," all while ignoring the consequences of their path. Justice. What a crock of shit. There's no justice on the battlefield.

Escala informed me of a planned assault on the Grim's garrison. We will not be present for that. I've ordered her and Wrixx to return, as our task was to defend Sanctuary, not support them in whatever moronic attacks they want to throw their lives away on.

I'm done supporting this idiocy. I will not allow the world to burn around us while idiots and murderers go after each other. If the Deadshots wish to support Julilee and her moronic campaign, then so be it. I will face down Serinar - Alone if necessary. The Grim have yet to get in our way of dealing with Serinar or the Legion. Whether or not they were facing Sanctuary, t heir support would be tenuous at best and, if Sanctuary manages to force the Grim into a position where they negotiate peace, that peace will last all of a week. Then they'll be back at each other's throats. There's a lot of stupid that I've seen over the years, but this really takes the cake.

Deep down, I knew that the Tanaan Offensive was another Broken Front waiting to happen. I just hoped that it would last long enough for us to off Archimonde. I will find another way.

We are in the midst of planning an assault on the camp that sent the drakonids to attack our home. No one threatens Borrowed Time and lives to tell the tale.

Sanctuary will be joining Borrowed Time in our garrison for now. We are to assist them with their Grim problem and, in exchange, we will receive their help in dealing with Serinar.

I spoke with Julilee about what happened at Darkmoon Isle - and that Leyu'jin was there. Honestly, it struck me as odd that he didn't consider the strengths of turning Alliance to our side, so I spoke with Cobrak about it briefly. Apparently there's some fel magic issue going on within the Grim that may be responsible for their sudden aggression. While dealing with that will not solve the problem in the long term - Peace through annihilation can only come when everyone's dead - it can certainly get them off our backs long enough to deal with Serinar and the Legion. Unfortunately, it's sounding like Julilee's going to insist on attacking the Grim, despite me urging otherwise.

In the meantime, we cannot stop our plans to go after Serinar's camp. He sent a force to "deal" with us and the longer we wait, the more reinforced they will be. We can cripple that force now and we shouldn't wait.

Time. It's what I have plenty of now, apparently. Over the past week, I've been busying myself with the logistical bullshit of keeping a mercenary company running. Contracts keep coming in, but honestly, that's not what this entry's about.

The world seems to be calming down for a little while, so I think it's time to actually reflect on what's happened over the past few years. First, my family's gone. There's nothing that can be done about that. My father and brother are dead, but that was years ago. I am the last of the Malastar family, but that's a fate shared with so many other Sin'dorei that there's no real sense in dwelling on it. So many families are either destroyed or on the verge of being destroyed that our race has a strange sort of shared pain that we must endure.

My soul has been sold for knowledge. When - if, rather - I should die, it will automatically go to Sargaras. No ifs, ands or buts. No way to reverse that. No way to change that fate other than to kill Sargaras. It simply is what it is. That being said, I'm not entirely certain that I'll ever even meet that fate.

I am a Death Knight. Despite what I try to do to cover it up, I am what I am. I consider myself a monster, but is that really what I am at this point? Am I a monster... or a predator? All creatures must feed and all creatures feed on the carcasses of the fallen, so what's different here? It's true that I must feed my runeblades, but if I am specific, then what difference is there between me and a worg?

On an unrelated note, I've become a family man. I've found a woman that I love with all of my being and would love nothing more than to see her the happiest woman possible. Her name is Sinlanna Arath'dorei. She was a woman that I cared for years ago, but never thought anything would come of it. A former student of mine, she showed immense promise with shadow magic, though she lacked any real talent in light magic whatsoever. Selfish, cunning and inventive, she was easily one of the finest women I had ever met - her noble birth aside. It wasn't until recently that I had met, in this timeline at least, her daughter Isadore. My daughter. Our daughter. She's given me a family and I couldn't have picked a finer family to have, myself.

There's one slight complication, though. If I don't die a violent death, I will live to see my grandchildren have children. I will see my family continue to expand and grow. I am hardly invulnerable. Destroy the right thing and I die. However, I am unaging. I will never grow old. I will never die of old age. I wonder: does this set me apart from the people that I love?

I am a Death Knight. Does that mean that I'm no longer an elf? Or am I an elf and then some? Where do I go from here?

What do I do when Sin's time finally runs out?

No. I must focus on what we have, not what will be.

It's been some time since I wrote in here, so it's time I start in again.

I spoke with Sinlanna a few days ago about what she meant to me and what this marriage means, then she started getting all excited. I half-expected to take the Arath'dorei name and continue her house's line, but no. She's adamant - excited, even - about continuing the Malastar line and building a brand new house. Becoming a noble is going to take some getting used to, but, from what Sin said, we can make up the rules as we go or even ignore most of them if we wish. Makes sense, really. Become strong enough and who's going to question or challenge us?

The Grim weakens while Borrowed Time strengthens. I don't have the full story, but it seems that Syreena cut open Ny'shra and left her for dead. Cobrak found her and, while he kept Ny'shra alive, he chose to spare Syreena. A path he likely regrets and one that I would've condemned a few days ago, but some time away has given me time to think. Part of me wants to hunt the Grim down and butcher them like the crazed beasts they are, but the rational part is in control. No, there's another use for them. With members of the Deadshots still in their ranks, we can still sabotage their forces, instill doubt in those who would break ranks, and absorb members who choose a more pragmatic path.

If Sanctuary is to be the peaceful negotiators and the Grim are to be the marauders, we will become the conquerors. Borrowed Time will unite the Horde and Alliance under a single banner. I pity those who refuse this unity.

I met Tirien last night, but I wish it was under better circumstances. It's a long story and I'll leave the majority of the details out of here, but I'm certain now that Tassha - no, Vionora - is dead. I had suspected that her soul was still around in this world and, thus, not completely being devoured by Accalia. It gave me some hope that, somewhere, it was possible to prevent that fate. I checked her soul, but found no fel mark on it, but I didn't check for a mark from Accalia. A mark on her soul. Light, I was so fucking stupid! She's dead and, now, her soul goes to whatever torture that old god has in store for her. If it's not total oblivion. Tirien believes that Vionora's still "around," but Siane is not Vionora. I just don't have the heart to tell him. I had hoped to study the soul stone and how Siane worked without a soul, but... it doesn't look like it's a possible. She's alive and her body is that of Vionora, but, from what Tirien said, she lacks the "negative memories" that Vionora had. No worries, right? It's not like the good and bad don't make us who we are. I wonder if Tirien cared about Vionora or just the positive parts that he saw. Guess we'll find out.

We have a target for our first strike. A small Burning Blade village near Broden'ar. From what we've found out, thanks in no small part to Escala, the majority of the stronger members of the village are looking to align with Serinar and his Bleeding Hollows while there are members who are still against this. I smell an opportunity for recruitment. Regardless, it's time we expand our influence.

It's strange. I embrace the Light, only to find that it burns and cripples those it deems unworthy. Perhaps it deemed me unworthy. Perhaps I wasn't strong enough to use it. Regardless, there will be no more running from what I am. I am a Death Knight. A knight of Acherus. I am not living, though neither am I truly dead. The living have a heartbeat and still fear their own mortality, whether consciously or unconsciously. The dead remain static - unchanged. I am neither. I will not allow stagnation in myself now or in the future.

On the other side of that coin, where I see myself as an outsider to the world, few seem to believe that, at least superficially. While Borrowed Time continues to follow my commands as we approach breaking, and conquering, Serinar's forces, I cannot help but notice the aversion to the undead that I summon. The drakes, and their sworn, seem to find it offensive. Why? What substantial difference is there between me raising and controlling undead compared to the spores of Gorgrond raising and controlling corpses? Are spores "good"? Is necromancy truly "evil"? It's true that both can be used for evil, but so can so many other things. Feeding a soul to a runeblade is, fundamentally, no different from feeding a corpse to a carnivore. That energy is going nowhere and it's not as if souls can't be created. (there is a note in the margin: "No means is known right now but that does not mean that the means does not exist")

The true irony comes from a member of the Grim, who shall remain nameless in this text, who greets me as "brother" and treats me as a sort of kin. Forsaken. I think I'm starting to understand what they meant by taking the name. "We are the Forsaken" is a way of saying that the world, the Light, and the living reject the existence of the undead. "Loyalty is very fluid," he said to me. I wonder if he's suggesting that I side with Sylvanas. Truthfully, not a bad idea. Of the rulers in the Horde, she maintains my respect, even after the incident at Wrathgate. Extreme at times, yes, but usually it seems necessary. Highlord Mograine continues to hold my loyalty as a Knight of the Ebon Blade, but how long will it be before the Horde decides that the Forsaken, and, by extension, the Knights of the Ebon Blade, need to be annihilated? I pray that they'd wait until our other enemies are eliminated, but that is quickly showing itself to be an inevitability.

An example of this comes from a recent action from Escala, a former spymaster of mine, who had decided that she would trick members of Borrowed Time to switch a normally fatal life bond to me from Aaren. The details are rather convoluted, but suffice to say that, should Serinar die, my life would also be forfeit. Prior to this betrayal, I would have embraced oblivion. No more. I continue to fight for the world because it happens to be the one I live in, but I will no longer give everything I have for people who would spit in my face. I've sacrificed far too much to simply roll over because some living bitch decides that I'm to die. When I find said bitch, I'm going to gut her and enslave her soul.

The life bond has proven to give us another angle of attack against Serinar. Should the plan work, we will be able to use it to change the bonds from his Sworn to me. Borrowed Time will gain numerous soldiers, not the least of which being a broken, mindwiped Serinar. The Legion may be coming, but we will not go quietly.

Final note: We have a member of each of the five Flights in Borrowed Time. I fear for what comes if fate requires that the Accord returns.

Serinar is defeated, but not dead. Death came to those that deserved rest, but he didn't. Instead, he will remain a slave for Borrowed Time until such a time comes when he is both dead and lost his usefulness. (Margin note: When did I become so cold?) Between that and the new recruits that are flooding in, it's long since time that Sanctuary move on, which is something that Lady Liene agrees on.

On her: She is no longer a friend of mine. Between her almost fanatical dedication to inaction and her own warped sense of justice, I cannot bring myself to respect her any longer and you can't truly call someone you don't respect a friend. The call to spare Cerryan is an outright stupid one. He should be executed for his incompetence before he endangers more lives. But that's not an act of "justice." Neither is letting him continue to live. Countless lives were cut short due to his actions, not the least of which being one of the Grim's own. Liene doesn't understand that we got lucky - extremely so - with how few casualties that we got out of this with. "Mind control" doesn't excuse him any more than possession excuses Konro. Much like Konro, Cerryan's actions invited Serinar into his head. His blindness cost lives.

Instead, though, we're to help him toward redemption. As if that's not just one more lie to keep us from preventing the next wrong. Did an attempt to allow Jinsai to redeem himself work? No. Instead, he destroyed yet one more world and betrayed Lady Liene. This is beyond common stupidity. This is utterly insane. If we're to believe that Cerryan learned his lesson now, rather than at all the countless opportunities leading up to now, then that's an optimistic view that just isn't rooted in reality. I may have voiced my support for keeping him alive for pragmatic purposes, but I do not believe that his continued existence serves the Horde.

I wonder if he understands the irony that he has more innocent blood on his hands than the Grim ever will.

Sinlanna's returned, though I wish it was a happy one. Our son was born, though immensely premature. From what she had said, the research center she works at helped build an iron womb of sorts to help him continue to develop and live, but something that keeps coming up is bothering me. For every time that I attempt to help someone, or save a group of people, or anything along those lines, people close to me leave. Why is that? Is there something so wrong in trying to help as many people as you can? Sin, apparently, didn't feel useful. Dora, apparently, doesn't feel like I listen if Saelyx is to be believed. Sin's leaving again to the research center and said that I should "come see our son," though she continued to "slip" and call him "her" son. I don't know what to make of that. Either she doesn't believe I'm part of this family... or I'm not actually part of this family.

Was that the price of victory this time around?