Sign in to follow this  
Moonthorn

Remote RP channel; /join Hearthstone

What shall the setting of the Remote RP be? Where shall the in-channel location be?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What shall the setting of the Remote RP be? Where shall the in-channel location be?

• Lion's Pride Inn
    • Tavern in the Mists
    • The Legerdemain (Neutral tavern in Dalaran)

A bunch of us Twistinholdters got together and made a new channel. It can be accessed with /join Hearthstone. This channel will be used for Remote RP. Simply put, it will be to an in-character channel where we can post as though we were in person on our characters. The setting is tentative. Any ideas not in the poll? Lemme know your ideas! I'm open to feedback. This poll will decide the setting of RP in the channel.

My concerns are accessibility and troll control. If we ensure that the location is in a contested zone, we can kill trolls at-will. Unfortunately, horde could also grief at will too. A close zone like Lakeshire or Darkshire would be a likely location. Or a goblin town if we wanted beefier protectors.

Edit: to clarify, I understand that the channel wouldn't have any limitations... but at the same time people enjoy meeting face to face if possible. I'm kind of leaning toward Goblin towns, simply because it would allow friendly x-faction RPers to interact too, as well as killing off griefers.

Edit 2: Also, shouldn't the Hearthstone guild get the final say in this? Either that or we call it something else?

The /Hearthstone chat channel is a "virtual" RP space, for those wishing to RP while doing other things in the World of Azeroth. For a visual representation of what this virtual tavern looks like, see the Lion's Pride Inn in Goldshire. For those of us from Ravenholdt, the "Hearthstone" was a place for all Roleplayers to come and partake in general RP in a relaxed fashion. I really like this idea of Remote RP, and is something I myself once did in my guild's guildchat in it's active days. As far as trolls and such, if it were ever to be a problem, those individuals could be kicked and/or banned. Lastly, the name "Hearthstone" is a very dear one to me for the nostalgia it holds.

-Knight Whyspur, Guardian of Cenarius

Key Master of the Vault

P.S.

I like the name "NetherHoldt" as a name to call our joined servers. Just my two copper coins worth.

I do have a suggestion for a locale. Even though it is a remote RP channel, we should consider the physical location since we may want to have actual events in the future. It is secluded but right in a major city so all levels could get there easily. There is a gate to the entrance of Darnassus as you come from Dolanaar before the main courtyard. The top of the gate has a large, open, rectangular room where you can look out over the courtyard and the city. I've never seen anyone up there. It has benches, etc. and is close to vendors, portals, etc. I've just always thought it was a lovely location that no one ever used. Although, I'm a Night Elf so of course, I am biased. And, being a world pvp enthusiast, if the horde ever strike, I will be closer to Tyrande. :) I'm sure whatever location is chosen will be great because the people make the place. I also think this spot won't attract many griefers because it is in Darnassus but not directly and you have to "look up" to notice anyone there.

I am so pleased that the merge seems to be having a positive effect! The remote RP channel is such a great idea. I used to be part of one in another guild and we all had the best time. Since anyone could join at anytime while they were going about their dailies etc., the experience brought a lot of people together who wouldn't normally have "the time" to RP. We would also have remote events or specific character story-line times where we could get to know each other better.

Best,

Sicklethorne, Guardian of Cenarius

That open area in the gate is a very nice place. It's actually used by the Twilight Empire as our guild hall, and our guild meetings are held there. Just something to remember for events we may want to do for the remote channel. I'm sure TE is okay with sharing it, just would be good to remember for scheduling stuff!

I do like the idea of having one, we did have one for a bit like that on RH that I think was supposed to be based in the Recluse, it was nice to have an RP to jump in on when I was out questing.

I'd suggest changing the name of the channel, simply because there is a guild called The Hearthstone on RH. A matter of courtesy, and to avoid confusion. What about Touchstone as an alternative?

For other sites, what about Ironforge? Or the Pig and Whistle? I'd suggest Exodar, but I think it lacks chairs. WTB usable chairs everywhere, PST with offer!

Ironforge is another good idea. I'll keep that in mind and figure out what to do with the poll and the choices being revised. The channel name is tentative. It was spur of the moment. Try to keep the brainstorming on locations for the moment and not name of the channel. I chose the name due to someone suggesting it and I liked the iconic nature of the Hearthstone. Many liked it due to the actual Hearthstone tavern and nostalgia. The channel name is almost positively a placeholder. Ignore the name. Focus on setting.

I think we should at least try to decide if this is going Alliance-only. I know that Horde folks can't join the channel from a horde toon, but there's nothing to say they couldn't join the channel to RP from an ally alt as their horde toon. If the setting is firmly in Alliance territory, then it may be fair to assume that "No Hordz Alloud". And I agree that the correlated physical location is important as well. People like to have places they can dress-up and GO to and see/be seen. I've seen several suggestions (including my own) and there are no changes to the poll, so I'm not sure whether that will be updated or not. Taverns on the whole are easier, because they are often near flight points and similar things, so that people are not as limited in going to the physical site based on their level etc. I'll throw in Shattrath as another option, because Warlords.

Also, sorting the name out sooner than later is better. The longer people use /join Hearthstone, the harder it will be to change it. (And if that's the plan, then I'm on to you. ;) ) If the Hearthstone guild people want to step forward and offer an opinion officially, I encourage them to do so. They are easy enough to get in touch with if they're not already reading these posts. I, for one, am reluctant to accept silence as consent. So if it will make things cleaner, I can contact them and see if they will let us know what they prefer.

To address the first point, Ooly, I am trying to figure out how I'm going to approach making a new poll. I can't see a way to edit the current poll and TNG only allows a poll to be created 2 mins after thread creation from what I saw. Do be sure, I am taking into consideration all the locations for when I figure out the poll situation. I was mainly waiting to give time for people to make more suggestions.

On the second point, I am not waiting to change the name due to the difficulty in changing it later. People should know by now that I'm not an underhanded person like that. I've been spreading word on the temporary channel namely to get the knowledge that it's being made out to people. When it comes time to change channels, I'll be sure to personally notify every person I see in the old channel of the name switch. I'm waiting to change the name until I know the setting of the channel. The name will be different depending on the location. Stop worrying so much about the name. I promise I'll speak with the guild before-hand if I were to decide on Hearthstone being a permanent name. Give me some credit, Ooly. :P

Oh, and on the Alliance only part, that also will depend on location. I would rather like a place that would allow Horde to show up in the channel as well. The voting will be the deciding factor in the end. If more people vote for neutral than Alliance, that will be the deciding factor. I came up with the Legerdemain as an option for exactly that reason.

I think that whether or not we want it to be Alliance-only or neutral is an important enough factor that it should be decided before the location, not as a result of it.

Also, Dalaran is Alliance-aligned now. The Legerdemain is not a neutral option.

...True enough. I figured people would choose locations based on whether or not they wanted it neutral. Perhaps not. Also, I totally forgot Legerdemain isn't neutral anymore. You have an extremely valid point there, Tin. Can I get more neutral suggestions, people? Gonna give it a few more days then I'm gonna throw up the poll... however I do it. Suggestions now or hold your peace. Final poll will have all suggested options up to the moment before I click the button to make it.

Sorry for any who may be waiting on an update for this. Meant to get to it earlier this week. Been busy with stuff I need to get done since I'm going back into college soon. I'll update soon. Before Monday, hopefully!

Okay, so the locations are going to be in the next poll. All mentioned. I have to create a new forum post for this, but the setting will be decided in that poll. I allowed quite awhile for suggestions, so this will be final for the moment. Can't make a poll in a forum post more than once, nor edit it it seems.

The Post with the final poll is as follows:

http://wow-tng.org/showthread.php?23065-The-New-Remote-RP-Channel-Setting-Poll!-Vote-now!

GO NAO. VOTE.

There is one final poll due to multiple requests in the forums I have read. This new poll is going to be on Ravenholdt Sanctum! Largely to allow vote changing and equal representation of both servers! All votes being recast would be absolutely wonderful. I'm sorry I took so long to get back to this. School was a pain. I'll react more quickly during this next week to responses!

The final poll can be reached by going to:

http://www.ravenholdt.us/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=157

Vote nao or forever hold your peace! One week deadline. The poll expires then. GO NAO.

I've made sure I'm in /salty on all my characters, especially Jaymahsun.

I'll be filling it with old man orc nonsense of Jay reminiscing on successes, "past," of the few weeks I've been back .. soloing silly Cata dungeons and catching up on content I've missed, or he has missed.

Good to see this community revitalizing before our eyes.