Cyllos

Romantic Relationships between two Unlikely Races

Hello everyone, I'm here to bring up a Discussion on the topic of Unlikely Relationships in terms of Warcraft Lore. From the top of my head I can already name quite of few that already happened . You can actually look it up on google yourself, I will post some relationships that have happened if it needs be. But right now I wish to discuss the relationship between Draenei and Blood elf. Few have already argued to me that it is very unlikely to have such a relationship since most people only see the Battle Induced side of the relationship where both are sworn enemies and hate each other with Fierce passion. However stranger things have happened , we all know of that Orcs and Humans have fell in love and made halflings. However you can argue that most of that was forced sex but I digress. There is no reason why these relationships would "Never" happen besides extreme hate among the races. Like the world that we live in, the Warcraft world is vast and filled with limitless possibilities. Anything can happen within the natural order of the world and Warcraft. In the past, we people have hated each other depending on our race and color, yet we have found situations where two enemy races have fallen for each other. So my question is this, if a Blood Elf and a Draenei Cannot possibly fall for each other or any other combinations of races. What prevents a Role play story from being legit with those certain situations. Besides the obvious reasons of Two races hating each other and the things that they have done to each other in the past.

I would like to keep this Discussion Civilized please.

At the risk of being too blunt, I'd say size is a big factor. Physical attraction is another one; it's generally uncommon for someone or something, especially longer lived races that often have an ideal of a life mate, to find things outside their species attractive enough to form a relationship with. Then there's an issue of faction and limited interaction unless both parties reject faction to be with one another.

In short, it is not impossible, but very, very unlikely. If it's RPed out it's one thing, too; actually developing that relationship to the point of realism and outlining all the conflict that can result in it, etc. An NPC reltionship on the other hand does come across as a little special/look-at-me backstory which can be a frowned upon thing depending on who you ask.

Anyway, lorewise it's possible but a huge stretch and doubtful to last.

It's such an extreme stretch that the majority of players wouldn't respect it. Also, I believe there's only one Human/Orc halfling, Garona. And her past has been rewritten numerous times, as well as apparently having that Med'an kid. Some halflings of note are the Orc/Draenei of Draenor, but they were all forced.

Also, to back up Evellin's point, a Draenei would have lived for thousands of years. Why then would they fall in love with a -much younger- race, one that is their enemy?

Well, in my humble opnion, a relationship could happen, as well as a halfling. sizes would matter but so does the genetic code (wich blizzard completely F'ed up) so you don't have to take it serious.

The political side of this issue is complicated, these races had some sabotage happening, but so did they helped eachother, making the love/hate a choice... buuuuut, now they report to a faction, different faction that are at war (or not, are we RPing after the siege already?) and if they are in the military the whole story will change: An american and an middle eastern relationship = cool, a marine and a middle eastern bomber man = blood, gore and disembowement.

From the RP perspective, some people will b*tch but the relationship is alright (IMO), if you pretend to have a halfling, I'd say don't, adopt or get one of the characters to have a kid from a previous mate.

Drann - Half-orc of human descent.

Garona - Half-orc of draenei descent, though alleged to be half-human.

Med'an -His mother, Garona is half-orc, half-draenei while his father, Medivh is fully human making him Half-Human, Quarter-Orc[citation

Chauch-eta - Skeletal mage, half-orc of human descent.

Garona is alleged to be half human, still though. My point is that their is more than one. and there are other halflings which by lore would not make sense since they hated each other. like

Lantresor of the Blade - Half-orc of draenei descent.

As to Velikan, would a marrige in the past but the Wife is dead due to someone from there race killing them be more acceptable? The reason I posted this post is because I have gotten an objection to it but the fact that it happens tells allot about my character and How accepting he is of the other races. And not just some person who follows orders because a huge mass majority say they hate the entire race.

A couple of points. Firstly, while most relationships between individuals of opposite gender, romantic or otherwise, often delve into the sexual, it isn't necessary. Sex is not present in all romantic relationships. Would a several thousand year old squiddy think that the several hundred year old blood elf was a bit immature? Possibly. Of course, maybe the individual is endearing in their own way. Crazier things have happened.

Secondly, racial hatred is a general thing that varies across individuals. I imagine that the residents of Shattrath and Dalaran are rather used to dealing with individuals of other races on a personal level as opposed to just a racial one across the battlefields. I would also like to point out that Shattrath is a site where, while there is fierce competition between the two races for the attention of the wind chimes, there is mingling in day to day life. It is not outside the realm of possibility that friendships could be formed between residents.

Thirdly, anything well written can be accepted. Go with it and see how it comes out, I say. Remember to use your characters like people, though, and not pieces to move along a story.

"I imagine that the residents of Shattrath and Dalaran are rather used to dealing with individuals of other races on a personal level as opposed to just a racial one across the battlefields."

Like when the friendly, politically correct members of Dalaran slaughtered any Horde, or any Elf that had different colored eyes than them. That certainly proved their love and kindness. (( http://www.wowhead.com/quest=32362/the-fate-of-dalaran#comments ))

To be fair, I agree entirely with your third point. If it's well written, focused within the bounds of lore and the bounds of reason, then...I guess it's alright. If it has the proper timeframe, in lore.

In addition, I love Evellin's second point. Perhaps you can use it as a crutch in your roleplay. But it had better be well written. And you better not use it as a special snowflake type scenario.

The whole... "My character is special. An NPC disliked him. BUT WITH GREAT CHARM AND MASCULINE WIT, THE HERO SAVED THE DAY. For, though normally one would not love such as my character, my character was so exponentially amazing that their foolish complaints fell to the wayside as they gazed upon my might! They loved an NPC. A special, forbidden love. Here's my 51 page erotic Draenei/Elf forbidden love fanfic" makes me want to gouge out your eyes and make you eat them.

"But through this possibility, this loophole, couldn't X and Y become Z?" Yes, they very well could. But why is your character worthy of being above the norm, of being the one allowed to use such a deus ex machina?

What it comes down to, for me, is that this feels like a cop out. Why have your character married to an NPC in the past, to prove a point, when you could write a much more personal, much more widely received piece of fiction? "He married an elf once so he is racially tolerant" Is...rather overdone. And almost always hated by the Roleplay community.

(Please see attached Signature)

Loretalk: Draenei had a space ship. Blood elves stole most of it. They butchered the already wounded Draenei. Then, after the Draenei escaped, they continued to hunt them and spy on them, even though they had crashed as refugees, and not saviors. The majority of the Blood Elf Campaign in Warcraft 3 and the Draenei starting questline shows this hatred between the races. Now, I'm not saying that there can't be any exceptions. But this isn't just racism. It's attempted genocide of numerous counts. (( http://www.wowhead.com/quest=9311 )) ((http://www.wowwiki.com/Tempest_Keep )) (( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyeunySaLJ8 I highly recommend this one. ))

Honestly, my main problem, Cyllos, is your timeframe. If their forbidden love had happened during the unification of the Sunwell under both Draenei and Elves, it would make sense. ((http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=897 )) If it happened during the Argent Tournament, where Paladins of every race gathered, it would make sense. Even if it happened between an Aldor and a Scryer in Shatrath, it would make sense. But placing this forbidden love during a period of war and bitter hate...just doesn't add up.

Then the actual question is not Either they can or cannot, but rather what time period makes the most sense? When I look at my new story which I have created to fit the timeline it fits way better than the previous story. Let me break it down, Originally they met on draenor. Now I see how that would not work very well so I made adjusted it to the lore, the new story I created is after he has survived the exodar and has traveled the world as a Paladin Fighter where he tested his skills in battle against the horde. Eventually, the bounty on his head rises and brings the attention to many horde bounty hunters who tried to do away at him. Eventually he gets caught by said blood elf who's purpose is to bring him in for the bounty on his head. Long story short the journey between the two of them made them both like each other because it had the right setting of danger, time, and quirky situations in between time. I could post the whole story but Ill probably do that on another post. But all in all, they ended up forced to make a choice after a long period of time together to decide wether or not they chose to let each other die, or to save them.

I'm not certain of what most of you think, But I say if the story was well written, the plot and the idea is a good one and fits with possibilities and Lore. If you want however, I can make the whole story and you all can judge it then. But right now, I want to get some things straight before I pull my hair in confusion on why its not a possibility from the only things that explained to me were that "Their races hate each other, it makes no sense." I do enjoy the post you all bring here and I respect your opinions as Roleplayers. But to change the story , If any of you have objections, Im gonna need more explanation on why it does not fit .

Most of us can agree that we all want our characters that we make to seem special to everyone because of how we see them special. I find Cyllos' open mind as a Paladin and a Draenei a crucial part of his character and what I think makes him great. Even when many things have brought him down, he will always think of others rather than himself . He won't damn a particular race or person for what they have done in the past , rather on what they do now and in the future. The story of his wife and how they have met is to show a special part of him on when he decided that all the races are not that different when it comes to who we are rather than what they have done in the past. To show that even though he has suffered from the prejudiced ways of the races . He does not become a crazy Warchief, a bitter king, or a vengeful banshee queen.

Now the story I have written is not written to show how great my character is or how stupid everyone else is, that was not its purpose. The story was to show how Cyllos became Cyllos, who he was in the past, how he changed, and why he is what he is today. Granted the story sounds like a love story with an action filled adventure and comedy in between, but isn't that the point?

Alright, so your story could work in the right time. Perhaps tone it down from "every horde bounty hunter wanted him" to "he was wanted for his crimes in a certain blood elven province". The whole...enemies falling in love, due to one anothers charm...It still isn't entirely...fantastic. But if you wish to use that route, it could work, provided the right lore and place. I'd like to point out that a love between them, during the Horde and Alliance wars, might not have lasted as long as you'd like. Unless they were both rogues, I doubt they would go unbound. Meetings in Dalaran in the shadows, for example, would be one of few places they wouldn't be judged. So I don't know if there's time or logic to make the claim they spent years together and married.

Perhaps use the points about how hated they would be, to show how fantastic their personalities are. *Cyllos and his NPC girlfriend understood the deep hate their races had, and as such, were pretty great Paladins, loving the light and each other over petty hatreds*

You could also tie in other pieces of lore. Maybe they originally met at the Argent Tournament, for example. This would give her pause before killing him. And a more logical place for them to have spent time together, for a few months. (Because let's face it, a good Bounty Hunter does not hesitate.) If you expand on the story a tad more, give more personality and reason, it sounds good. I'd love to see you write it all out nicely.

Again, my hangup isn't the Draenei. That's the personality your character has. Makes sense. But a fel addicted Blood Elf would need some more oomph to not want to kill this Draenei scum. Try putting yourself in the NPC's head, when you write it.

Ah now were getting somewhere, you make valid points Altherion and I concur with them. My misunderstanding came from a lack of reason on why and how. I shall work on the story a bit more. When it is done, you shall be among the first to read it. As to Eve's suggestion, to me that would make me want to write it as a comedy. But I jest, the first Idea came from a Blood elf so I shall stick with it. Perhaps another character can get freaky with an Orc female . Perhaps a gnome who likes big women. (Ha ha, ha ha ha ha. Pun pun pun.)

Loving something that is beautiful and loved by others doesn't exactly showcase your fantastic ability to overlook diversity.

I have to agree with this. The point of the orc comment was essentially that; you think it's very tolerant of your character to pick out the most attractive hordeside race to get with, but it doesn't seem very tolerant to me, as the differences between blood elves and Alliance races are a lot less than, say, orcs and Alliance races. Particularly as a role-player, to you I imagine blood elves are the most pleasing to the eye to consider pairing your (decidedly ugly, I mean, he is a Draenei) character with.

No matter how structurally well-written the story, I can't really get behind the concept in an RP character. And that doesn't mean you can't do it, it won't be accepted, or that you have to change anything, you're free to take it where you'd like.

To me, if it was RP'd out with another person's character it would be different, but I always feel a bit iffy when NPCs are used to make a character come across a certain way that is integral to their character when they ought to come across that way on their own in RP. Like, "Look how I single-handedly seduced all these guards, I'm seductive" instead of seducing a PC, or, "Look how my character dispatched those twenty NPC enemies all at once, she's super tough" instead of fighting PCs, etc. It's my own personal taste in RP, and I tend to avoid the former. Which is okay; we all have preferences we're allowed to follow, you're no different. Do what you feel is right.

Bonus opinion:

I don't think using lore to back up decisions is always a great idea in situations like these. I think it's good when faced with things like how a race's society functions and those types of guidelines for stories, but when it delves into "it's really rare but it does happen and here are a very few examples of it happening" then I don't think it holds up. Taking our example of halfbreeds (several of whom were no doubt products of a non-consensual relationship), just because it's happened a few times in lore doesn't mean it should happen in RP.

Like, is it possible that my character is the bastard offspring of a lore character? Sure, but... it's bad form. You could argue that lore characters have children too and that they've probably gotten down and dirty before- I mean, they can't all be virgins- but just because you can point to a relationship, or mega weapon, or whatever in lore doesn't mean you should go through with it. There's a reason they're the very, very few exceptions to the rule. "Anything can happen" is a phrase that makes me sigh in RP and turn the other direction.

To be fair, WoW RP tends to lean toward the crazy and far-out, a bit like the lore sometimes. I'm very used to more realism and consequences in other settings like forums, D&D or low fantasy like LotRO, but now I'm just rambling. Worse things have been done, I just still don't really agree with it.

Felt like sharing. Here's a short story involving Draenei that teaches tolerance and morality. The story includes Farseer Nobundo, life in Draenor and Prophet Velen. Since your story is all about tolerance and non-racism, you may want to consider somehow involving the Broken, instead of Cyllos having a Blood Elf girlfriend. And no. This isn't a comedy because the females happen to be "ugly".

To everyone else, this is a pretty neat little short story with some nice lore, and a cool look into one of Blizzard's better characters.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/lore/short-story/unbroken/1