Sign in to follow this  
Micael

The Bar at the Top of the World (Open)

"No," the Death Knight answered flatly. "You will not be coming with me, so you can say your goodbyes here and now."

She glanced to Ranavos, expression hard. "You promise? What makes you think I can trust your promises? And fix her? Fix her into what, how? With your mechanical monstrosities? With magic to make her undead? Is that really what you wish for her?" Eve shook her head, shifting her weight again. "I'm taking her. Both of you are frothing mad. And both of you had a hand in this, engaging in the violence to begin with. And you, Micael; blowing shit up isn't how the law works. Aren't you supposed to arrest people first? Oh, no, that's right. You just beat people up without warrant, and sometimes even for no damn reason at all."

With a snort, Eve shook her head and gripped Nika a little more firmly. "So say your goodbyes and bugger off."

Putting his hand on Nika's head, Micael considered blowing her brains out with the Light. And yet he held back. He still loved her deep down somewhere. Reaching out, the Light told him what he needed to know, as Paladin's were healers. She was still unconscious, meaning she was about a one on the coma scale. Her stomach had ruptured, her left lung collapsed, her heart, kidneys, and liver were shutting down as a result of getting blasted, poisoned by the Light.

It killed him, but he needed to let her die. Paladin's believed before people truly died they were given a chance for redemption. If anyone could redeem her, it was Porter. She could be free of all of this. He just needed her to die so she could be at peace, so her crimes as a traitor, a killer, would be repaid. Leaning down, he trembled, as if he shivered, and for a moment whispered something in her ear, the wind taking the words before Ranavos and Eve could hear them. He knelt there for a long moment before standing up straight backed and proud.

"Evellin, I beat the shit out of Vlynor because every time I had tried to arrest him he ran or fought. I spoke to my bosses and they advised me to use force. I had warrants for Vlynor, hell, I had warrants for everyone because everyone breaks the law. You wanna know the truth about Vlynor? He was a damn thug who in the end got what he deserved. You also wanna know the part you never remember? I tried to help him. I got him a job as a postman, a good, honest job with good honest pay. Three days after that he and Altherion attacked the Pig and Whistle. He, like Nika, was a danger to society, so I used deadly force. The night you always talk about, when I beat the hell out of him? He had pulled a knife on me first. Thats the Lights honest truth. I never told anyone because I always thought he could be redeemed. But in the end guess what? He got what he deserved."

Micael could have said every single word of that to Evellin and not have been wrong once, but he didn't. He was heartbroken, not because he killed, for Nika needed to be killed, but because deep down, he was heartbroken that he had been forced to choose duty over her. Looking at Eve, he said a quiet thank you before turning and taking a step back to let Ranavos say good bye.

And with the sun fading, the wind howling against his ragged clothes, and the snow coming down in the land of the bearded Dwarves, a Paladin of the Holy Light, a sailor, a soldier, a spy, a man who had lived a thousand lives and seen a thousand deaths stood, the last warmth of the sun fading as the man's heart broke. Nika had once told him that she loved how he always did what he thought was right, and right now it was killing him, it truly broke his heart to kill the woman he had loved. And as he stood, feeling more alone then ever, wishing there was another way, Micael Lauren Goerin silently cried, the warm tears now the only warmth he had left in the world.

"Me? MAD?! Lies, both of you are the mad ones! I want to save her and both of you just want to get rid of her entirely! You don't care, you just want the easy way out!" Magic gathered around his hands. It was clear that Evellin didn't trust him, but Titans help him if he would let Eve and Micael simply threw her in lava. "I will not ask again, Evellin... I can help her, I can save her."

Evellin snapped her teeth together, holding back a growl. "Easy?" she muttered through her teeth. "Easy would have been to walk out the bar. Easy would have been tearing Micael's throat out while he was bumbling like a drunkard. Easy would have been to leave you combatants to your fate. Easy would have been to let her body be trampled by the both of you. Easy would have been to fly off right then and there. Easy would have been to take a portal where I would not encounter you lot. Easy would be to hand her over and be done with this mess. No, Ranavos, the easy way out is to hand her over to a lich who will no doubt further enforce his change upon her, and I would sooner take the hard road and do what I know to be right."

Eve took a step back, lip curling in the ghost of a snarl as she noted his posturing. "So I will not tell you again, Ranavos. I care for Nika more than I care for her life. I'll not let her linger in pain, caged by you, the Grim, the Alliance, or anyone else. It's a mercy." Her grip tightened, the air around her growing cold.

"Back off."

Ranavos was speechless... What was the point in trying anymore? Evellin wouldn't believe him... How could he blame her though? No one believed him... No one knew that he had good intentions. He wanted to fight, but that would risk Nikas well-being.

A moment passed before he let out a sigh, placing his right hand over his chest and gave a fluid bow towards his sister. He swiftly turned on his heel and walked away.

What do I have now? He asked himself. There was nothing. The Alliance couldn't care less about him. His Father is trapped by his own creation and now his own sister will be laid to rest in flames. He had failed his sole purpose. Failed his Father... But the other half of his purpose still remained. To punish those responsible for Nikas fall from grace.

Softly, he mumbled under the winds.

"And the Serpent, stricken by grief, shall choke out all life."

Looking at the two fighting, Micael knew what he'd have to do. Eve needed to leave because Micael needed to use Ranavos. Walking over to the two, Micael grabbed Ranavos by the arm. "Eve, go. Do what you need to do. Thank you. Nika always liked the warmth. If you can't throw her in the lava, bury her in Elwynn. She loved the forest. Ranavos, you're coming with me. You want Nika's death to mean something? We get armored up, weapons and runic bombs and a shit load of mana and healing stuff, ambush the shit out of whoever comes after this beacon thing, then use them to flip on their friends and we get to kill a whole bunch of enemies. First thing we need is a portal to my flat in Dalaran."

Micael pulled Ranavos away from Eve to give her room to take off. "We're working together. Thats it. Nika's chapter is over. Eve will see she has peace. Now, open that portal, and lets get revenge on those who took her from us."

With a wave of his hand, Ranavos used the magic that he had charged up earlier to open a portal to Dalaran. He nodded to Micael, following him wherever he went.

The minute they got to his flat, Micael began putting on his heavy plate. "Ranavos, there's a pile of gold under the loose floorboard, pop it open, head into town, and get as many explosives, mana potions, and healing potions, everything we might need to take out 4-6 recon team. Also, we need shotgun shells and rope for the trap." He chugged one of the smaller mana potions he had and used it to heal his injuries. He was still sore, but he'd live. He lifted up a heavy looking tarp and pulled out a heavy shield emblazoned with the Alliance crest, as well as a longsword, a knife, a bayonet, and a hatchet, as well as a whetstone and Jon's shotgun, and began sharpening the weapons. He'd clean and load the shotgun with CLP oil and buckshot respectively.

Ranavos pried the floorboards open and retrieved the pile gold. In a flash of blue light, he had teleported away, already Blinking from vendor to vendor gathering the materials Micael requested. In about 15 minutes, the lich teleported back near the Paladin, his hands full of equipment and in his mouth, a half empty vial of Mana. "You were short. You owe me 20 gold."

Micael stood up. He was heavily armored in the Trillium plate mail, enchanted to be extremely light, with a great helm for his head. On his shoulders was a bag, which he began loading equipment into, including Ranavos's supplies. On his leg were the two smaller blades, and the other had the hatchet. His sword and shield were on the floor, as was Jon's shotgun with extra rounds latched on the butt stock. Reaching down, he attached his belt, armed with several pouches and half a dozen explosives. He picked up his weapons before turning to Ranavos. "Put it on my bill. You ready? We should take a portal to Dun Morogh, close enough to Gnomergan where it can be believed that she was ambushed by a patrol and if we need back up its there, but far enough where they wont send an army to rescue her."

Ranavos eyed Micael as he geared up. Apparently in this assault they will be going all out, running head first into battle fueled by nothing but blind rage and vengeance. If so, then Ranavos needed to bring his best trinkets. "I'll be with you shortly." He opened a portal close to Gnomergan and nodded to the Paladin before personally teleporting himself to another location...

The mage reappeared on the snowy fields beside Micael, finishing his errands rather quickly. He came geared with his trademark constructs and tinkered items. Runic bombs, spider constructs, Mana vials, A Runed pistol and ammo, Ironclad and his main melee weapon, Forgebreaker. Compared to Micael, the lich was traveling lightly. "I'm ready."

(Quick note: The thread is no longer open, so please don't post any random encounters)

The winds sent blistering cold into their faces as Micael motioned for Ranavos to hide behind a tree, down wind of a small clearing. Reaching into his pocket, he pressed the button before tossing the coin into the snow about 4 feet in front of him, before he slid behind his own tree, sword drawn, ready to fight. With a quiet thunk, Micael dropped his great helm on his head. The coin had... done nothing? They'd just have to wait it out.

In a place that was once described as being outside of time and space, despite the complete lack of logic in that description, Ikai received a request for transportation from a beacon. She shifted her consciousness slightly, inspecting the data transferred from the now active transmitter. As the milliseconds ticked by, further data poured in. The beacon was moving, and the movement indicated it had either been thrown or dropped, no longer being carried. Ikai noted that the transmitter was one tagged as belonging to Nika Davies, who was listed as transport instantaneously. [Perhaps she has escaped...] Ikai considered consulting Inzema as to whether to accept or deny teleportation, but he was currently in his room and consuming a haunch of cow to try and recover some semblance of energy. Using the time to consult him, even with his response time, would have wasted valuable milliseconds that could be used for calculations.

Ikai determined the point of origin of the device and initiated transport.

As the coin flew through the air, less than a second after Micael tossed it, it began to spark in a manner similar to how Inzema had before disappearing. As it approached the ground, a small bolt of lightning would lance out, striking Micael in the chest, but doing no harm, and suddenly Micael would disappear in a burst of energy.

He would find himself in a different place altogether. The room was moderately sized, the walls rough grey stone with veins of pulsing blue light coursing like blood vessels through it with no discernible source or pattern. He stood on a circular disc of metal in an alcove, identical, but larger than the disc he had just pressed the button of. The disc clattered to the floor ahead of him, rolling under a table covered in wire reels and similar devices. Rows of tables and work benches filled a good portion of the room, each dedicated to specific things. One for explosives, one had an alchemist's lab on it, and another had a disassembled mechagnome. In the back of the room there was a more open space, and along the walls were even more strange devices and things. Rifles, pistols, and in one corner stood a ten foot tall metal suit of armor shaped like something very close to, yet subtly different from a Worgen.

A blue light, identical to the color of the energy in the walls, formed into the shape of an average height woman in a knee length skirt and a blouse. She seemed to take a look at Micael before frowning. "You are not Nika Davies."

Micael landed with a lack of grace, barely standing, weapon ready. He slowly looked around, taking note of what was going on. He was in no place he had ever seen, and the last thing he wanted to do was get into a fight he couldn't finish. As such, when the blue woman spoke to him, he lowered his weapon. His helm would give him the advantage of disguising his identity, but it didn't matter if he was a billion miles away and out numbered. He had nerves of steel, but he truly feared being out numbered and out gunned with no backup. Could Ranavos possibly track him? It didn't matter.

Right now Micael needed to make sure that this woman didn't find him a threat. Sword down, shield up slightly, a defensive stance, as not to get into a fight. "Who are you? Where am I? Are you alone?"

[Voice pattern identified. Matches file: Micael Goerin. Threat level: High. Reference SI:7 files for more data.]

Ikai raised an eyebrow at Micael. The files that Inzema had sifted through during his infiltrations of SI:7 painted a detailed picture of the man before her. The most prudent course of action would be to remove him from the laboratory immediately or terminate with extreme prejudice, but Ikai didn't always enjoy the most prudent course of action. You didn't learn as much from it. "Micael Goerin, an unexpected surprise. Please leave your explosives at the door and come in. Pardon the clutter. I would clean, but..." She shrugged and turned her back to him, walking deeper into the lab. The gesture was mostly for Micael's sake. Ikai didn't rely on the hologram to see any more than she did to talk, but newcomers tended to react better to a "person" than a disembodied voice.

Micael was more than hesitant to remove his belt of explosives, but certainly less than excited to deal with the Ikai system. Trading safety and security for close recon of a serious enemy wasn't his favorite thing to do, but he'd do it none the less. His backpack still had plenty of explosives, including the heavier stuff, so he elected to compromise and remove the explosives on his belt, but not those in the harder to access backpack. He still had the pouches full of various gear and weapons, blasting caps, ect. and worst case he could improvise something big enough to kill himself and seriously damage some of these toys, but he'd rather not do that unless he couldn't escape.

Putting the handful of explosive weapons on the floor, Goerin locked the safety on his shotgun, keeping a round ready to go. More than once he wished Jon could be there to help him through his problems, but now he really missed his friend. He was always a good talker. He quietly sheathed the longsword and followed, carefully looking around at things he could use if it came down to a fight. "So, you're Ikai. I assume I'm no longer anywhere where my friend Ranavos can back me up. Where exactly am I?"

Ikai turned back to frown at Micael, walking without error, even backwards. "Firstly, I said leave your explosives. That includes the high grade charges in your pack. I am not a fool." She turned back around, finally leading Micael to a couch and coffee table at the far end of the lab. She sat down and patted beside her, indicating Micael should sit down. Near the couch was a very solid looking steel door. "I could bring Ranavos here, if I knew where he was, but I won't. He is not trusted, nor is he welcome. He is mentally unstable at best, a hopeless addict with no redeeming qualities at worst. He could possibly come here himself, but it seems statistically improbable." She smiled. "And to your last question, you are in Inzema's home. Would you like to have a drink or something to eat?"

Goerin had no intention of surrendering the high explosives in his ruck. "The explosive charges in my bag are my safety measure, as I'm sure both you, and that... Ten? Ten and a half foot? Wolf thing are more than a match. I'm keeping them, you're just going to have to trust me." Realistically Micael had timed it out in his head. He could surround himself with a force field of the Light, and detonate the explosives before it wore off, thus ensuring that he survived the massive shockwave, however, he also knew Inzema had a certain honor code, one he did not plan on breaking. He smiled back. "A glass of water wouldn't hurt I suppose."

Part of this relationship was give and take. Just as Ikai needed to trust Micael wasn't going to detonate the explosives before she could teleport him out, as her technology wouldn't work when he was in the bubble, he needed to trust she wouldn't poison him, something he wouldn't enjoy. "I assume Inzema isn't here, or is at the very least hurt from what I can assume by the vomiting, was a pretty nasty hit." He sat down on the couch. "So, what can you tell me about Inzema?" He kept his question general, seeing what he could get out of it.

Ikai looked at the metal wolf. Her expression went distant for a moment before a holograph displaying a variety of information, from armaments, armor, and a small model of the thing when it was moving appeared before the device. "That is not a construct or an automaton. That is an exoskeleton," she said, leaving off giving further explanation unless Micael wanted it because all the data was listed in the projection. "I am relatively defenseless, even here." She placed her hand on Micael's chest, and then pushed into it without any resistance and no tactile sensation to the whole thing. "I am the ghost in the system, so to speak. A mind without a body." She withdrew her hand from Micael's chest and shook it as if she had actually felt something.

"That being said, you will unfortunately have to serve yourself." A blue arrow came into being, pointing at a cabinet and an icebox nearby. Inside the icebox Micael would find a variety of chilled beverages, clearly labeled, including water, various fruit juices, and alcoholic beverages with the strength indicated in percent by volume. The cabinet held glasses and non-chilled beverages with a similar variety.

Micael carefully examined what he was putting into the cup. Ice and the clear liquid labeled water. Could poison be frozen into the ice cubes? Yes. Was he afraid? No. He was a trillion miles away from home, cut off from back up, cut off from supply lines. No army, even a one man rampaging machine, could not under any circumstances, win a war that way. Reaching into a small pouch on his belt, Micael removed a chow kit and a blinking blasting cap. He swore. Usually his gear was much more well organized. "So, what can you tell me about Inzema?" He asked as he threw them in his large bag before pulling out a small tablet to ensure the water wasn't poison. It wasn't, so he took a sip.

Ikai watched Micael as he tested the water, smirking. Humans were so predictable, especially the paranoid ones. Always testing even if there was no harm, waiting for the dagger in the back or the poison in the water. It was amusing. "Well, for one, he is, believe it or not, less trusting than even you. I suppose that, as this is his only base of operations, this would be a bit evident." She thought for a barely perceptible moment, smirked again, and continued. "He is also human."

Filling the minds of everyone in the story: the voice of the author: "The time of the gnomes has come! All who dwell in the Twisting Nether and are indeed an active participating member, casually and codepentently, recompence transistory directive protocols, actively engagin in hostility, provoke numerous adjuntcs forthwith removing said venom and ghosts-in-the-machine. Palpable proclamation preclude possible posthumous peditionary podiatry physicians. Although you have failed in assessing the current dilemma, treacherous and treasonous accusations forthcoming, the gnomes will come to test you of Azeroth who claim to be heroic but instead are minless junkies of the sort equivalent Blood Elves. I the Revenent, Liffle Jabberlittle, have spoken. The time for judication comes quickly, expect your end to come tomorrow. Be prepared."

The mind of the Revenant.

Micael stopped. "He's a what?" Micael hadn't expected that. He hadn't expected anything that came in what was supposed to be a quick and easy ambush. He had, of course, studied Inzema carefully. Nika's intel told them he was from another world, a fear of squirrels, and was, of course, incredibly dangerous. "You mean an undead human right? Otherwise why would he be part of the Horde? That's like a Tauren saying 'Hey, lets just help the Night Elves!'" He removed his backpack, relishing the weight now off his shoulders. "So, I assume Inzema now knows I'm here, correct?"

Ikai smiled widely, the confusion exactly what she had been expecting and hoping to instill in Micael. "I mean human, much like you, only...modified." She paused, as if searching for the appropriate words, and a mug manifested in her hand. She seemed to drink from it, though the action was probably to make Micael more comfortable by giving her a more human appearance. "As you are likely aware, Inzema is skilled in alchemy and engineering. This, combined with Qarosimae's mastery of the arcane arts are why it is that they have achieved dimensional stability outside of their home dimensions. As you may be aware, matter prefers its own dimension and typically dimensional travel is limited in time due to the breakdown of the cellular structure after prolonged exposure to foreign worlds. Qarosimae and Inzema, working together before my creation, discovered a way to negate this effect through a series of spells, devices, and substances. They are capable of traveling to any dimension that can support human life and stay there as long as they desire...but I digress. Inzema has never died, and therefore cannot be undead. He has modified his genetics so that he has a superhuman regenerative ability, which had...side effects." Ikai paused again, taking another sip from her holographic cup. "Based on observation and stories from before my creation, I am able to surmise that Inzema's regenerative factor is based highly off of his food intake, and the food he eats, flesh, skin, bone, organs, can go directly to replacing like cells or be repurposed to other cells if need be, though that is less efficient."

Ikai took another sip and played with the rim of the cup. "He needs to eat approximately ten pounds a day, and based on my calculations, could starve to death in as little as three." She looked over the rim of her cup to Micael. "Can the undead starve?"