Kromthal

Chivalry:Medieval Warfare

To anyone who hasn't got this game, get it please.

It's a first person game with match types similar to call of duty ones.

It's like elder scrolls with TONS of variety and skill involved. How you move, use the environment (when you attack your weapon can get caught on objects) where you aim strikes and blocks, rotations, etc.

For about 12 more hours it only costs 12 dollars off steam, and you have a free play trial which ends after the 12 hours.

Basically,

You can be archer- light armor, ranged and extra damage when backstabbing.

Man at arms - light armored and mobile.

Vanguard. Medium armor, medium mobility. Extreme reach and can do an extra power attack when you charge.

Knights - heavy armored but slow. Hit hard.

Anyone who enjoys TES, blood, medieval stuff, first person and a different type of skill to macros and button pressing, this game is the on to play.

Comes with decapitation. You can even remove heads and limbs when they are dead! Why WOULDN'T you play this?!

Damn straight it is. This is why i have high hopes for TESO.

The amount of skill and tactics which go into fights (especially 1v1 or 2v1) is amazing.

As a Vanguard I find Man at Arms challenging and fun. Knights are a lazy land 3 hits whilst kiting them.

Archers is kiting them when melee and giving them halbierd when they get their bow out. Vanguards are a pole contest.

Ill say it again; if you don't have it get it. It is truly a great game. The type of skill in this type of game is different and I welcome it. The way you can use the environment to your advantage, how mobile you have to be, gameplay styles, taunting roaring and MAIMING!

Just please. Its worth 50 dollars ad you can get it for 12, 24 after the sale.

Damn straight it is. This is why i have high hopes for TESO.

The amount of skill and tactics which go into fights (especially 1v1 or 2v1) is amazing.

You realize that TESO is going to have a standard MMO combat engine, yes?

Played Chivalry in Beta. It was an extreme case of rock-paper-scissors. Heavys kill mediums, mediums kill archers, archers kill heavies. Every server I went on, each side was almost exclusively one class. Does anyone know if this has been fixed in release? I'd rather not spend 50$ on something I play for free with my hands.

I'd rather not spend 50$ on something I play for free with my hands.
That's the policy of some people, in regards to girlfriends.

=P

I watched some Total Biscuit stuff on Chivalry, looks pretty solid. I dunno if I want to pay that much for a pure multiplayer smash people for hours combat game.

Well today (I think) is the last day of the sale, where it's literally just 12 dollars. I just bought the full version.

@Pyrisath: Though in regards to it being a rock-paper-scissors type of thing, I found that quite the opposite. I managed to kill a Knight as an Archer with just my dagger. Literally just parried all of his strikes and stabbed him to death, it was quite hilarious. But I've managed to kill anyone as a Vanguard, just takes some timing on my end and bad timing on theirs sometimes. The one class I have loads of difficulty playing is the MaA (man-at-arms), for some reason I just die way too fast as him.

@Altherion: I started wanting Chivalry from watching Criken's videos. :P

Its not 50 dollars but its that quality. Its actualy about half that normally, and I think 12 dollars atm.

You can get it of steam. I am not sure if the sale is still on.

And I thought TESO has an Elder Scrolls combat style... Click to swing, etc. ?

It is a bit rock paper scissors til you fight more experienced players- then rock paper scissors factor is some are harder then others, but thats just the player not the class. I find man at arms annoying due to their speed. Archers can proove the same. I find knights a problem when they can reach me. Vanguard I struggle to counter as one myself. Using your reach to your advantage isnt particularly effective against someone with the same.

But then I find you just got to use their weaknesses. Walk around knights after their strikes and land blows whilst they're still swinging.

Archers is charging and smashing them in the face before they draw their knife.

Vanguard is to use fake strikes.

Man at arms to use fake strikes and then real strikes very quickly after.

When you're new you do find it rock paper scissors. I did- I thought it was vanguard vs the world til I started fighting some really good knights, man at arms and archers. But it's really not.

And I thought TESO has an Elder Scrolls combat style... Click to swing, etc. ?

Combat in TESO has both many similarities and many differences compared to previous Elder Scrolls games. The controls are familiar – WASD to move your character, left mouse hits things, holding the left mouse hits things hard, right mouse raises your shield, you use stamina to perform skills, magic to cast spells, shift to sprint, etc etc.

However based on reviews, it sounds like that's where the similarities end. TESO features a hotbar with 6 keys (think of GW2's hotbar) which you can fill with five normal skills and one "Ultimate" skill. You attack a mob or player by placing your targeting reticle over a valid target (eg. point your mouse at it and be in range) and then clicking a mouse button or hitting a hotkey. The biggest qualm folks have expressed about combat is that there is no real-time hit detection. Once an attack is successfully executed, it's going to happen. You can't dodge arrows. You can't stop your sword mid-swing. Combat sounds a bit like a simplified version of what you see in games like Guild Wars 2.

During each fight you build finesse points by performing well in combat. For example, if you block an enemy's attack to make him stagger and then perform a power attack, you will gain finess. Finess points play several roles. First and most simply, finess points are consumed when you use an Ultimate skill, encouraging players to save up a certain amount to use their "oh shit" key every once in awhile. Finess points also grant you an experience boost at the end of a fight if you did well, and if you did really well, you might also get a chest with some fancy new gear.

Like many other modern MMOs, the tank/healer/damage trinity is gone from group play. Each player should have the ability to heal or protect themeselves, however you'll still have the ability to shield / heal other players. Additionally, various articles have alluded to a group combo system where, for example, a rogue character might drop an oil slick which a mage could then set on fire for extra damage and finesse.

My issue right now with the game (though may be better now that the FTP weekend is over) was when my friend Thgix and I tried to play together, for some reason trying to join the same server was difficult.

Eh Einhelras you are dissing TESO without seeing it yourself. Your description seems apt and matches up mostly with what I have read but alot of the reporting is from game "journalists" who normally don't know their heads from a hole in the ground. I imagine the combat will end up being fairly similar to Guild Wars 2 and or The Secret World. I doubt it will be some "light" version of the combat though. What I have see so far for example implies there may not be any "hit or miss" mechanics. If your sword hits the enemy it is a hit, if you want to dodge it you better either raise your shield or evade the attack.

Eh Einhelras you are dissing TESO without seeing it yourself. Your description seems apt and matches up mostly with what I have read

Then how am I dissing anything?

Where did I interject any sort of personal opinion on this game?

I have to say, despite it being a huge off topic conversation, I don't like Skyrim or Oblivion for the mechanics that would make or break an MMO for me (Combat), but more for the atmosphere, the lore, and immersion. Skyrim/Oblivion's combat system isn't exactly amazing. But, if this game has at least some of what I like about TES, I might at least try it.

Then how am I dissing anything?

Where did I interject any sort of personal opinion on this game?

Because what we have seen so far is not the total picture and comes from sources that frankly, I don't trust. Thus I think it is giving a possibly inaccurate picture of the games actual combat. As in I think there is actual real time hit detection, or will be at launch. Also Guild Wars 2 is hardly the pinnacle of action combat and as I said before I do not think this game will turn out to be GW2 combat "light".

It's fine to have those beliefs, but I won't espouse your beliefs as facts. This is just from a collection of widely available sources. Everything is basically conjecture until a finished project is presented.