Lurile

Honest "Is it too Mary Sue" question

Okay, so it's been awhile since I've been involved in the community, have been playing with several ideas for my new Warrior's PvP guild, whether a crack team, or hero assassins, nothing's sort of sticking to the character development I've been looking for. And so I raised a question to myself, and then dismissed it as Mary Sueing. But then I realize standards have changed over time, so I impart onto you a simple question:

How appropriate and acceptable in the current TNG RP community is time travel as a part of a character's backstory?

I don't want anyone to butter it up, as the last thing I do is want to be among those I once chastised, but I feel like the concept is fairly interesting. Please don't post 'it's your story, you can do what you want with it,' because part of MMO RP that makes it different is the sort of community mold of it all, and outlying from that detracts from it. No, I don't want to be lectured on this view either, just honest opinion.

I'd consider it a bit far out there. It could be done well I suppose, but it would depend on the specifics. Time travel is a part of WoW lore, but it's also kinda tied up in the bronze dragonflight.

.. I think it reeally, REEEEEALLY depends on exactly -how- you manage to incorporate it. Time Travel is just one of those things. It CAN be done, but it has to either be done -RIGHT- or -NOT AT ALL-.

*Agrees with everyone else.

I think people will be more accepting if it is part of your back-story as opposed to something you plan on doing with your character/guild (other than to the pre-established cavern portal destinations, and even those really need to be per a dragon's request). Are they coming from the future or the past? What is so special about that particular time that makes you want to use it rather than a current day origin?

Claim overly powerful magic, strength, or anything else that gives you an unearned advantage, and people will not like it.

Play the character in such a way that the origin is important to his/her character development, and people will enjoy it.

My kneejerk reaction is that I don't like it. Yes it does technically exist in game, but if it was something that Blizzard made more prevalent, I'd feel like they were really jumping the shark. If you are on the fence about it anyway and it's not critically important to you to follow that particular path, I would say it's not worth the negative reactions you'd get from the majority of the player base.

I agree with everything Mort said. If it is apart of back story, with legit reason as to why/how they got to the current time line, then it would be more accepted.

Actively time travelling at your leisure seems a lot more unstable and gimmicky/too powerful.

Brief time travel rps have been done before that I have seen, and honestly a majority of them were pulled off rather well because they did not give the character any advantages or disrupt anyone else's plotting or time paradox.

I know you didn't want lectures, but your question is way too loaded to give you a straight answer. Everything depends on how you do it.

Honestly, I think there is a potential for it to be done right, but a lot rides on class involvement. Bronze Dragonflight kind of holds the monopoly on it, but Blizz has slowly been implementing it into the mage class as well(Cue Let's do the Time Warp agaiiiiiin!)

I wouldn't base a characters skillset around it, but it would make for interesting character development, depending on which way they were jumping. Jumping in from the future would throw a huge Mary Sue flag to me, because, well, you're going to automatically know everything that happens in the major conflicts and be able to influence the greater world, such as "Oh, Garrosh is planning an attack on Theramore, Jaina. Big mana bomb, deals with the focusing iris. You should warn the Blue Dragonflight" 3 days before anything in ToW and all the sudden major lore means nothing. I would suggest jumping from the past if you're going to do it.