Kakabel

Sugesstions Please?

So with Christmas fast approching (and my money fading even faster for toys my kids don't need) I've been figuring out what i can ask the old fat jolly man for christmas. I know what I want but i don't have space for all the art things I want so first and formost I have to make myself a fuctioning desk... in the mean time...

I love working with pencil and paper but I'd like to start testing other things, mainly a tablet and a program other then Adobe that I could use on my computer.

Any suggestions that I can tell St. Nick? cuz I'm not a tech person (my lack of scanner knowledge proving point) and my St. Nick is in a world completely different from my own.

Welp I've got a Wacom Intuos 4 and it's great, so I'm sure the latest model would be similarly super. As for software to try other than adobe... tough one. There are plenty of good programs out there (gimp and inkscape jump to mind), but nothing that I'd say is better or more complete than a full adobe suite. Then again, I'm just a hobbyist, I'm sure there's a load of specific applications for which non-adobe software is more appropriate. Why not try to make art using different approaches with adobe- vector art is a fun and challenging thing to learn, for example.

Personally I love Adobe, it's what I've always used to make my graphic and what not. But it's hard to get your hands on copy without shelling out tons of money for it. I'd gladly spend the money if I had more time to put forth, but as of right now. I don't. T.T

I was looking into the Wacom and I'd love the one that I can walk around and draw on, then upload to the computer, instead of carrying a seperate bag with all my stuff in it. Become a hassle if I end up carrying my kids things.. which 6 times out of 10 happens lol.

FREE ART PROGRAMS THAT ARENT ADOBE NEEDED YOU SAY?

I'd like to point you in the direction of Gimp

Its no photoshop, and it might take a bit of time to figure out, but I garuntee you that if you can learn it that it makes a great substitute for a more expensive program. I used it for a long time before I could afford something else, and there are still things about gimp I miss. As for the tablet situation, you CAN shell out for an Intuos like Slag, or you could get a Bamboo tablet. Much more cost-friendly, and (again from personal experience) definitely just as effective. I use it with a laptop if I want to art-on-the-go, and its small enough that I can put it wherever I put my laptop with no problems.

(( Oh, and if you want to get Photoshop on the cheap, find a friend or family member who is currently a student and have them buy it for you with the student discount. I got mine for 200 as apposed to 800ish because I'm a student))

Duro speaks the truth; between Gimp and Inkscape you've got 90% of the functionality of Photoshop and Illustrator. Bamboos are fine too; a tablet is a tablet and Wacoms are good (though I like Intuous because it's big enough to just lay over the laptop keyboard, and it has a bunch of nifty command buttons/wheels- also not sure if Bamboo has pressure and angular sensitivity or not).

I tried to use Grip, it hurt my nonexistant art brain, so I switched to Painter Sai. Sai is ok, but I miss photoshop the most, ever since I lose the program due to a computer crash, I sort of gave up on digital art until I get the program back. Also my tablet is a brick and it's old as hell, no sensitivity what so ever. My advice is to get those recommend art things, fiddle around with them a bit and decide which one the like. As for tablets, hell if I know, just don't buy bricks.

also not sure if Bamboo has pressure and angular sensitivity or not).

pressure yes, Angular too but I think its limited *some brushes I have I THINK use it, but that might just be photoshop limitations*(

Yea, Photoshop is my fav but I've killed several computer trying to get it for free... literally killed..one laptop shut down and when it booted back up said "There is no hard drive" granted it was in more computer techie words. I have a friend who is in school he can get copies but the last one he got didnt work all the way and only gave me trial versions. Thank you Thank you Thank you guys! Least I know where to start now.