Slagworth

Disney buys Lucasarts; Episode VII slated for 2015. Rage, joy, speculation, hopes.

Welp I am pumped. I think is wonderful that (a) there will be a new Star wars film, and (b) Lucas is stepping down. Surely he will linger to a certain extent, but the fatal thing with the PT was his total control, and limitless source of yes-men and monies. That'd screw most creators.

I must say I'm a little disappointed that it'll be a sequel; RotJ was a good point to leave it (I would have preferred the interbellum period between III and IV). Still, Disney has a habit of buying and backing quality shit without getting their hands too dirty on the 'how'. They haven't cramped Marvel or Pixar's different styles, just empowered them to do what they do, better.

Now, I have to say it; NATHAN FILLION FOR HAN SOLO!

tumblr_mankmvHZin1r6gj4mo1_500.jpg

Any other casting suggestions?

I am quite worried that a lot of the extended universe books directly after the movies will no longer be canon. If they ignore the Ssi-Ruuk for this movie, that means the Truce at Bakura is suddenly not canon. If one of the next three movies centers around taking coruscant, depending on how they do it they'll out the entire X-Wing book series as non canon. At the same time they could actually take the books and do it right, which would please me. In the end, we'll see.

EDIT: Although I guess it does depend on if it's a direct sequel, or they pick a point in time after the sixth movie, years in fact if they decided. Any word on that?

Calling it. Star Wars and The Avengers crossover.

The Chitauri were actually serving The Emporer, not Thanos.

My view on this new movie is slightly changed, thanks to the reminder that Disney got Marvel. And handled it expertly. I really, really hope they'll be good. And they spent a measly 4.5 billion. That's going to be made up in the Pre-seventh movie hype and merchandise alone. Plus parks and hell, if it goes well, bet we'll get a TV show.

It. Will. Never. Die.

Edit: I demand Galactus. Be brought to the Star Wars Universe. @.@

People loved the Avengers. Know who was behind that? Disney.

Also, the movie that seems to be considered the best out of all 6 Star Wars movies (The Empire Strikes Back)? Lucas had very little input on it.

This is nothing more than the internet freaking out about something without thinking about it first. Isn't the first time, won't be the last.

Sidenote: I didn't read any responses in this thread before I posted. Glad some other people realize how stupid this freakout is.

Yeah, I never had any issue with Disney taking it over. They do good work in my opinion.

Just worried the writer of this seventh movie won't take into account the books that I enjoy... at the same time those books aren't all really movie material, and I recognize that.

The only issue I see with this is the technology side of the house. Disney has been shitting on that for some time, and while Lucas seemed to go all fan-fiction on his own creation - the man knew how to make technology work for him.

I don't know the internal workings of LucasArts, but it is my hope that the fucking geninus(es) behind all the fancy stuff stay onboard and continue to make fancy sound, special effects, and hardware to give my eyeballs some pleasing kisses while my ears and mind cry out in anguish at horrible writing.

Lucas no longer has anything to do with Star Wars

You have no idea how happy I am.

No more abysmal CG that makes movies take you compltely out of reality and ruin the experience. No more horrific storylines with incoherent plots and zero point other than to satisfy that old man's ego. No more treating his fans like shit by poking fun at them by runing the original trillogy on purpose (I see what you did there with the NOOOOO at the end of Jedi Lucas, I see what you did there.)

Maye now we'll finally get a remastered OT that's just the threatrical vrsions in HD. Maybe with some CG updates, but without all the stupid story and dialogue changes that do nothing but ruin the movies.

Maybe now somebody will nuke the horrific wasteland that is the PT and all the lore that surrounds it (Since Lucas retconned all the good books tied to it out of existance with the Clone Wars series. -SNIFF- I'LL MISS YOU REPUBLIC COMMANDO)

My only hope is whoever picks it up creatively decides to look at the EU not as "Those books some people like", but as a continuation of the story, and somewhere to creatiely draw from. Do the Thrawn Trillogy, or fit something into the period after the OT using elemnts of the EU, maybe retcon some of the outdated stuff (-cough- Dark Empire -cough-). Just don't nuke it like Lucas did with the Clone Wars.

Whoever is in charge of it now cannot possibly treat it with more contempt than Lucas did. We can't get worse.

-knocks on wood-

The only issue I see with this is the technology side of the house. Disney has been shitting on that for some time, and while Lucas seemed to go all fan-fiction on his own creation - the man knew how to make technology work for him.

I don't know the internal workings of LucasArts, but it is my hope that the fucking geninus(es) behind all the fancy stuff stay onboard and continue to make fancy sound, special effects, and hardware to give my eyeballs some pleasing kisses while my ears and mind cry out in anguish at horrible writing.

Well Disney bought it as a package deal, including ILM- so I'd guess that's a pretty safe bet.
Lucas no longer has anything to do with Star Wars
This is the main thing.
My only hope is whoever picks it up creatively decides to look at the EU not as "Those books some people like", but as a continuation of the story, and somewhere to creatiely draw from.
I'd consider myself a pretty huge Star Wars fan; but I cherry pick EU stuff. Most of it isn't my cup of tea, but plenty is too. That said...
Whoever is in charge of it now cannot possibly treat it with more contempt than Lucas did. We can't get worse.
Strong agreement. I'm sure a half decent job could bring me around on some EU lore I'm not too fond of; and that's finally possible now that Lucas is stepping aside. Not guaranteed; but possible, and it has all the money, talent, experience, and momentum it needs. Likely, even- I'd say it's more likely than not that the upcoming Star Wars films will be good. Possibly great if they get a guy like Whedon on it. Certainly better than the PT, in any case.

Have you seen Castle? Fillion is fat.

Lol this. I was actually talking about this with someone in vent the other day, they were talking about how Firefly might get a new season or something and I was like "But he's so fucking out of shape now, how would space cowboy work?"

Is it really fan fiction when you're the originator? I don't think that's possible.

I didn't think it was possible either - until George Lucas did it.