Sign in to follow this  
Evellin

The Edge of the Map (Open to pirates )

Meraline turned to notice Ark and where the rifle was aimed. She looked between the two for a split second before covering Alth's body with her furry one, despite the chance of her getting shot for it. "Altherion, just go! I'm the one trying to save you here, can't you see that?! I don't want death on this ship!"

While her crew took care of distracting Altherion- even more delightful if they succeeded in killing him- Evellin had retreated back in the ship, but not before hearing Meraline's words. She didn't pause though, pushing through to the captain's quarters and rummaging through her stuff. She paused in thought for a moment before kneeling, sticking half her body under the bed in order to reach what she was looking for. It wasn't quite ready, and she certainly hadn't intended on using it right now... ah, there.

Her fingers curled around a metal nozzle, and she pulled at it, unraveling the length of cord it was attached to. Her boot twisted slightly as she hooked it around a foot on the bed to start sliding back out. It was a stupid and vulnerable position, she knew, but everyone was out on deck still... hopefully.

Altherion lightly shoved Meraline away, unleashing a quick blast of Unholy magic away from her. The Death Gate opened and came to life, letting out a cold chill reminiscent of the earlier spells. He began to walk towards it, Ark about to fire, but hesitating.

Meraline kept close to Altherion as he walked, not even daring to look Ark in the eye. Whatever happened to her now was cause of her own actions, she knew that, but at least no one had to die this way.

Altherion started through the portal, the distraction Mera granted letting him slip through to the other side. Ark lowered his gun, cursing something unintelligable. The portal snapped shut, and Ark let out a sigh. There was silence from him, only to be broken by Morbidus.

"Ey, Cap! The Big-Ugly-Deaders gone!" The raspy Sailor shouted.

Evellin dropped what she was pulling out and started to whip her head up with a "WHA-"

Only she couldn't finish, because her head connected with the bottom of her bed with a rather loud clunk, followed by muffled cursing. She dragged herself the rest of the way, completely empty-handed, and stumbled through her door still unable to walk straight from the wood that had pierced her leg. She finally stood on deck with a sense of utter disbelief at the sight she beheld. A busted up deck with no sign of her prey.

"...what."

Meraline was quick to take on her bird form and fly back up to the Crow's Nest, letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding when made it. Whatever happens, happens, she kept telling herself.

Ark blinked, not seeming particularly angry, just annoyed. He watched the bird fly away for a moment, then looked to where the Captain was standing. He shrugged his shoulders. "He slipped through a portal in the chaos, Eve..."

The captain's eyes flashed, and she shifted her gaze upward to the crow's nest. "I'm certain that's what happened," she growled, taking a moment to look at the whole picture. That hole was going to require mending. Rosepha and Raylini deserved promotions. Was that what it was called here? Eve couldn't even remember. Oh, and Grimforge, too, though she still didn't know what that winking business was about. The most pressing matter here, however, would have to be dealt with immediately.

"Meraline." The demand didn't even have to be made. It was clear this was a summons, and by the clench of the captain's teeth, it was not going to be a polite summons.

Meraline's ear twitched as she heard the Captain from below, and she nearly shuddered from it. She sighed and decided to just suck it up, take it like a woman. There was no avoiding this. So slowly did she glide back down, until she landed directly in front of Evellin. "Captain."

Evellin stared down at the bird, growing angrier by the second. Too cowardly to take on a form that couldn't flee quickly, eh? The Death Knight shifted her weight to rest fully on her uninjured leg as she took a moment to collect her thoughts. Once more Altherion had gotten away unscathed. And Meraline's words- that she was protecting him- continued to weigh heavily. Had it not been for the Gilnean, the crew might have been able to bring him down. Meddling? Giving him the chance to run? It might have broken Eve's heart, once... but now she came to expect it. Where Altherion was involved, it seemed women could not keep from saving him repeatedly, like he was some sort of stupid damsel in distress.

Well. Most women. Evellin glanced toward Ray and Rose, still quiet in her thoughts. They had done well. Defending crew and ship. She'd underestimated much of this crew, she realized. Perhaps if she'd been... responsible. Allowed the crew to help her from the beginning. Perhaps it was not Mera, but Evellin herself who allowed Altherion's escape through her impetuous need to destroy him the 'right' way. Why had she not gutted him while he was bound to the mast? Removed his head? The loyal half of the crew would not have blamed her for it. Grimforge, Chandrath, Raylini, Rosepha, Ranavos, Morbidus, Ark- they would have been agreeable after a simple execution and explanation. Perhaps they would not have even needed an explanation.

The silence was finally broken by a sigh.

"Meraline. Every death at Altherion's hands; every soul pulled from body, every child ripped from parent's arms, each tear shed by the families of the hundreds more that monster will slaughter, it's all on your shoulders now. You want to play heroic life-saver? You're really pretty shitty at it. You forget how many lives would be spared if he were to die. Your views are narrow. I've told you time and again of the evils that man has committed, yet time and again you take his side. You defend him, only now, you didn't just use words. You are no friend. You wasted our efforts. You are a mutinous, frivolous, stupid child, and I'm tired of dealing with women who'll defend anything with a dick, no matter how lifeless it may be."

The anger continued to build, but surprisingly, Eve kept it to just words. "It's not just your fault, though. I knew what I was getting myself into. Ranavos was right, I should have just taken his head and be done with it, not give in to his treachery." Her tone shifted, and once more her words seemed directed to Meraline. "My fault, right? Altherion was just an innocent passer-by, right? I'm the big bad Death Knight, he's got a little family. I've got a family too. He ruined mine, you know. But what does that matter to anyone, am I right? It's just me. I shouldn't hold grudges that a man ripped my husband's soul from his body for no fucking reason."

Her fingers curled into a fist and her body trembled with barely contained rage.

"I'm done with that sort of logic! Finished with it! I cannot live in a world where a bloodthirsty rapist leads the 'brave' militia and the other side offers nothing but genocide! I cannot live in a world that points to the undead and calls them evil when they should start by looking at themselves! I can't bloody stand around to listen to the bullshit spouted by villains who can never be defeated, by monsters who never fade, by vengeance that can never be exacted because everyone thinks it's so damn wrong for me to want to keep my loved ones free of their wretchedness! They live while better men and women will die, and you know what? That's not my problem anymore. I don't care."

Evellin Stormguarde sucked in a breath, and placed a hand to her forehead. "...I quit."

Meraline took one step back at her words, but her expression remained a salwart one. "If you wish me to leave Captain, then I will. Obviously, if I am no friend of yours, I shouldn't be here. I will be out of your hair for the rest of your days." Her form turned into that of a black lion, still looking up at Evellin. "I would say more, but it won't really matter to you, now would it?"

Ark started to try and defend Meraline, but shrugged, knowing that anything he would say would simply upset Evellin more. His only response was to sigh. "It isn't really her fault... You said it was all you. She didn't want to fight him. We shoulda shot him when he was tied up, Cap..."

Morbidus blinked, raising his Sword-Arms into the sky and flailing. "OY! DON' GO! TAKE ME WITH YOU!"

"It's not my decision." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a key, tossing it to the ground. "I'm clearly not fit to lead, but I am grateful to those who followed nonetheless. This is the key to m-... The captain's quarters. Vote for a new captain, sell the blasted thing and split the coin... I don't care." The captain turned stiffly. "Once again I'm in the wrong. I'll actually take the consequences for it."

She slowly headed to her old room, intending on grabbing what belongings of hers she could. Evellin seemed beside herself. Whatever emotion gripped her, she evidently didn't trust herself to keep talking.

Meraline frowned at Evellin. She's just going to give up like that? She sighed again, shaking her head and calling out. "I never said you were the bad guy, you know." Mera would bet the Captain didn't hear her, either because she wasn't paying attention or she just didn't want to. She turned and grabbed the key in her mouth before walking over and placing it in Ark's hand. "I have some explaining to do, I take it?"

Ark blinked, looking down at the key. He shook his head, then threw it towards the other crew-members. "I'm not taking that. I think The Starseer should have it." Conveniently, the key landed near Ranavos feet.

Ranavos had watch the fight from afar near a cannon, he didn’t say a word, nor did he care that much, he knew that the Captain could handle her self. As the fight progressed, the lich held Lindsey to his side, protecting her from any stray waves of magic that might of gone their way.

When the fight was over, he watched and listened, but never said anything out in the open. In fact, he was rather sad that Evellin had given up. He could sort of relate to her situation in a odd way.

The metallic sound of the key caught his attention as it landed near him. Casually, he picked it up and threw it thrice in his hand while thinking....

“I have no objections to being Captain, but following Evellin last words of being captain, which I will honor, this is a democracy. I am willing to take charge...If I get enough votes.”

Morbidus was a big man, with a big heart, and big dreams, and big swords. He looked at the Lich and nodded. "'Ey, Lichy. Sorry 'bout the hate stuff. Ya got my vote."

Ark blinked. "I um, still vote for Tuuroto."

Grimforge kneeled and ran his fingers over where his circle was. "Hmh. The more you know..."

Regarding the scene that he unfolded Grimforge looked to the key pensively for a moment. "Oh it'd be no good; were I ta get it in any case I'd only flog and execute the Stormrunner out of a crew," a pointed eye shot to Mera, "frankly I'm surprised nobody's paying the blood price." Stroking his beard, Grimforge nodded once more to himself; the last thing he needed was the prominence of captaincy over a ship like the Stormrunner. It was still too soon; it'd only be a matter of time before someone recognised him.

Looking over the rather sorry looking collection of misfits gathered on the ruins of the deck, Grimforge waved his hands "Bah, I abstain- no cantidate loses or gains a vote on my account so long as I get to keep my study in the hold." The Dark Iron shuffled after the former Captain, "You shoulda bled her while ye had the right. So where'll ye go?" Grimforge interrupted himself with an almost involuntary bellowing roar "ZORNAR. THE DECK. NOW!"

Rosepha seemed disappointed in the Captain's words and watched her turn and walk away. She thought that maybe the strange Death Knight just got the cap' in enough of a fuss to give her irrational thoughts of giving up. But the cap' wouldn't leave. She wouldn't. Rose frowned at the thought.

Then the crew began calling out names. Her attention drew to the democracy. She wouldn't allow any more illogical decisions to be made.

"Mister Tuuroto. Taskmaster, Captain, Quartermaster, and a wonderful crewmate since I returned. Or... who are you?" She looked at Ranavos for a moment, finally taking in his features and getup. She gave a quick glance to the little Gilnean by him, before perking up and searching the length of the ship. "Wait, where is the bloke?"

Raylini sank to the remains of the deck as the captain said she'd quit. The young girl was a bit tired after the exchange with the death knight and trying to stab him repeatedly in hopes to distract him from killing the Captain. Which she thought she had succeeded rather well at. And for the druid to allow the death knight to just escape...it made Ray rather angry. So much so that her hands were shaking so bad she had to grip the hilts of her daggers even tighter to get it to stop. She got to her feet and took a look at Meraline.

"What you did...was wrong...and you should probably go and hide somewhere...if the captain won't kill you I might do it myself." She said, her voice as cold as ice almost. Raylini had sworn herself to this crew and the captain...and to see someone disagree with the woman who allowed them all aboard her ship...made her quake with rage.

As to the voting of captain...she turned to look to all the crew. "Your captain is hurt, and feeling betrayed by a crewmate...and you are already trying to decide who takes over her quarters?" She arched an eyebrow slightly...the delicate features looking upon them all. "You all make me sick."

She would go after the captain...try and see if the woman could be reasoned with before she left.

Mera's ears twitched, the only sign that she was listening to Raylini. She just sat there, her back to the rest of the crew, her face unreadable.

After a few minutes, she simply nodded-whether it was to herself or to Raylini's words-and stood up. She took a step back before breaking out into a run and leaping off the deck and into the water. The high-pitched cry of an orca was the only indication that the druid had changed forms and saved herself. She started the long swim back home, away from the rest of the crew and no longer a burden to them.

Ark raised his rifle at Ray when she spoke of killing Mera. He grumbled. "If it's anyone's fault, it's the Captains--Or, former Captains--For letting him go! And agreeing to that shit..." He sighed as he heard the splash, letting the front of his rifle lower. Ray was already leaving, likely to go run after Eve...

The Hunter looked at the rest of the band, shrugging. He didn't have many friends here, and he could talk to Mera later. Instead of doing anything further, he leaned against the mast that had held Altherion, watching the procession of "democracy".

Through out the entire fight Lindsey had remained by Ranavos' side, sometimes jumping, sometimes trying to get a closer look only to be held back by the Lich. In the end when he picked up the key and offered to be Captain she immediately raised her hand cheerfully proclaiming, “I vote for Lord Ranavos!” She didn't really much care if she was apart of the crew or not, perhaps her vote would count anyway?