Nikaa

Cross Realm RP Now Possible

When Blizzard first announced several months ago that cross realm phasing would soon be a possibility, I had high hopes that this would mean good things for RP. I wasn't sure how it would work, but I was hoping that we'd start seeing people from other RP realms out in the world, which would open the door for a lot more RP. But from what I've seen yesterday, the reality of this far exceeded what I had been anticipating.

Yesterday, Alphaeus posted a blog describing he had formed a group with a friend and was able to zone her from Twisting Nether to Wrymrest Accord. http://wow-tng.org/entry.php?9923-Battletag

This caught my interest so I talked to Nyali on Real ID last night so we decided to experiment with it a bit, and discovered that it worked! She invited me to group and I got a pop up warning me that joining her group might phase me to another server. Once I accepted the invitation, I watched everything around me despawn.. and then immediately phase in again, and suddenly was standing in a large group of people from WrA. We flipped the group to a raid and invited a few more people. Promoting Altherion to lead immediately phased everyone in the raid back to Twisting Nether, and then back to Wyrmrest again when he passed it back to Nyali.

From what I've seen, the ONLY limitation appears to be that this will not work in Stormwind or Orgimmar.. entering either of those cities will phase you back to your home realm until you step outside the city again, then it returns you to the realm of whoever has lead. Aside from that, there appears to be no limit to where you can go in the realm you are visiting, and you do not even have to be in the same zone as the rest of your raid. Meaning, if you want to visit another server you can have a friend invite you via battletag and they can continue to go about their business without being with you.

Using this feature, a group of us did some RP on WrA on Darkmoon Island, Duskwood, Dalaran and Silvermoon City. I don't know if there is a population restriction on how many people can already be in a zone before this won't work- but last night there were literally 49 people in Silvermoon City before my group got there, and we had no problem entering.

I can see this feature opening the door and allowing tremendous potential for large scale RP events hosted by various realms. This also negates the need to server transfer in most situations.. since the cross realm phasing allows not only for RP opportunities, but also seems to work for RBGs and - as far as I've heard- ALL pve raids and instances, including as of this last patch, Dragon Soul.

From what I'm seeing so far, this is huge for RP in general.

This is a difficult concept when you think about server and guild lore though.

I mean, you go to another server as a member of the Grim. Your guild has been around FOREVER, but nobody knows your tabard, or your accomplishments... how do you RP that? A whole world not knowing about a certain organization that most of your usual server just takes for granted as existing.

I could see this promoting some actual alternate reality travel RP... of course there will be people who don't exactly agree with such concepts.

It definitely isn't for everyone, but I think you may be over thinking things, too much, Urivial. The way I've explained it to some people is that I don't know EVERY single person in my city in real life. It's unrealistic to expect to know every single person in Stormwind/Orgimmar. So what if someone hasn't heard of you yet? Or if you don't know the 'lore' or background storylines/RP behind every single person or guild. You didn't when you first joined this server, either.

Just have fun with it and enjoy it for what it is- random RP, as Necroxis said. A way to make new friends and meet new people. Then maybe in time you will get to know more storylines beyond your current circle of friends. :)

And if it isn't something you're interested in, that's ok too. You don't have to RP with anyone you don't want to, of course. As for me personally, I just see it as an opportunity to expand my own circle of friends.

I think trying to actively recruit from other realms would be in bad form, however, hosting cool RP events on TN and inviting others may generate interest. ;)

This is a difficult concept when you think about server and guild lore though.

I mean, you go to another server as a member of the Grim. Your guild has been around FOREVER, but nobody knows your tabard, or your accomplishments... how do you RP that? A whole world not knowing about a certain organization that most of your usual server just takes for granted as existing.

I could see this promoting some actual alternate reality travel RP... of course there will be people who don't exactly agree with such concepts.

I've actually been doing something like this with a few friends of mine from Moon Guard and Ravenholdt... trying to spread the idea that little interdimensional rifts have been opening up and pulling people around occasionally for giggles.

I mean what else can possibly explain it?

I think inter dimensional rifts or alternate realities are overcomplicating things quite a bit, and are unnecessary. Of course, people can play however they like. As for me personally, it's all the same. I'm not splitting my RP down into different realities for every person I RP with, be it on one server or another. Especially now that all severs can be united, there's even less need to recreate the wheel.

Since I've been out of the RP loop lately, those times when I have gone through Stormwind here on Twisting Nether, I see plenty of RPers that I haven't met yet. I don't know who their characters are, either. That doesn't mean that I have to pretend to be from another reality to interact with them. Its all the same to me. Just make the effort to get to know people and their stories, same as you did when you first started RPing.

Or don't, and just stick with your own circles, if that's your comfort zone.

The problem with differing realities isn't just that they're unnecessary, but that they break the lore at a fundamental level. Warcraft isn't a multiverse story. The only example we have ever seen of something even remotely similar is a different timeline that happened in 2-3 chapters of one of Christie Golden's books. And by the time that book is over, that "alternate timeline" does not exist.

I think every color Dragonflight has given us enough explanation for the idea of dimensional rifts. They all just tear right through whenever and wherever for whatever. It's not out of the question at all. It could be rp'd as a long time after effect of the Cataclysm.

...how do they give explanation for dimensional rifts? They don't "tear" through anything. I'm assuming you're talking about a method of movement. All of the Dragonflights fly to wherever and whatever they're doing. Kalec sometimes teleports as the former Aspect of Magic, but he teleports to other places on this same Azeroth. He's not traveling to another Azerothian dimension, because they do not exist. You're going to have to provide some pretty strong evidence to suggest that the Dragonflights are somehow making a multiverse possible.

The only Dragonflight that ever did anything even remotely similar was the Bronze Dragonflight. And they traveled through time, not to other dimensions. Hell, their entire "thing" was to preserve the timeline so nothing changes. And they cannot even do that any longer. Let's look at the Dragonflights:

Black: Wardens of the Earth. Has gone batshit insane. Specialty? I suppose Deathwing can teleport himself deep within the Earth (We see this in Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects). No multiverse anywhere.

Greens: Wardens of the Emerald Dream, a different plane of existence, not another dimension. The Emerald Dream is how Azeroth would be if it wasn't affected by its (two now) Sunderings. No multiverse anywhere

Reds: Wardens of Life. Specialty? I guess Alexstrasza can sense that Thrall and Aggra did the sex. No multiverses anywhere.

Blues: Wardens of Magic. Specialty? I guess...they have a powerful weapon called the Focusing Iris. No multiverses anywhere.

Bronze: Wardens of Time. Specialty? Nozdormu gets stuck in time...and Thrall goes to a different timeline to help save him. Doing so makes this "alternate timeline" non-existent. No multiverses anywhere.

So...what now? Like I said, fundamental lore breaking would have to occur. It comes down to that basic principle of containing Roleplay in the Warcraft universe to Warcraft lore. You can't go around creating secondary universes (You'd figure the most powerful magic users, who are miles ahead of any of the player characters, would figure it out before anyone), being a Second Lich King, being a time traveling half dragon, ect.

I hate this xrealm thing. For several reasons but the main that come to mind are...

-Having to maybe see people / guilds that left on a bad note to another server.

-Grief in RP to a whole new level. As experienced on WrA when I was out in the world. For every RPer you're going to get the duelist wanting to duel for his epeen or the snobby pve-type peeps.

-Rare spawns are going to be impossible. I'm not talking about world bosses I'm talking about the personal mount ones people sit and camp. Add a full zone of people wanting that mount and see how your odds fair then.

-This 'let's make the world seem bigger when it's not really' thing. AH market is still in the tank. Guilds are still small and selective at heart.

-The RP seems limited to what you can do with another from XYZ realm while still having it impact TN and the RP here. Several have already mentioned this subject though.

I RP on Twisting Nether because I want to RP on this realm. Not Emerald Dream. Not Ravenholdt, etc etc. Branching out is great. I'm happy for peeps who get to xrealm to other servers to RP. That's wonderful. But this being forced on every person that steps out of Stormwind or Org is horrible.

This discussion is rather interesting to me. I hope we can all keep clear heads over the course of it.

Settana brings up a good point. Right now crossrealm is manageable enough that as you've said Nika, people can choose to partcipate or not.

But the way they described it, and the hints they've made to a more extensive version being installed with MoP point to the very real fact that this will not be a choice very soon.

I'm still all for seeing how it works in the end.

As for Necroxis' points, I have to agree. Until Blizzard decides that "Hey we added cross-realm stuff, let's just retcon lore and make every server a seperate dimension that World of Warcraft has taken!" then I don't know if I truly agree with dimensional travel. If you want to do it privately with a group of friends though, I'm not going to freak out about it. Of course, the words in quotations always have an excellent chance of happening. Blizzard loves retconning.

On Nika's words, random RP is great and all, but I've always seen it as supposed to lead into deeper RP. How is that going to work when you develop a friendship with a person, and you two have a discussion about the state of Azeroth, only to not understand what they mean about such and such organization doing this and that, or they understand what you mean when you tell them about a recent attack/accomplishment that has happened on our server? I suppose you could never ever talk about that sort of stuff in RP... but it kinda limits talking points doesn't it?

As much as I am for more people RP'ing on TN I am going to have to agree with Necroxis and Urivial.

If a big huge storyline from another server does indeed happen with your characters involved how do you explain that it happened to someone on TN to try and gain their aid without having to go into the whole inter-dimensional thing?

I can see it working for maybe planned RP events where you needed a few more bodies for Horde or Alliance side to make the event work. For World PvP I can see it working because both sides lack sometimes and it would be nice to be able to assemble equal teams that are more than say 5-8 people.

Some things for RP it will work, other things for RP not so much.

My two cents for what they are worth. /shrug

I do like having the chance to pop onto another server and and see what they have to offer, and at the same time i have to agree with Settana. In my personal experiences most people here on TN making use of this are RP'ing with former TN members....and well it's my opinion that if they really want to RP with us they never should have left in the first place, because after a time, with enough server mixing and matching blizzard might as well condense all the RP servers and all the RP-PVP servers into two big clusterfucks and say have fun. And well, I don't think anyone wants to see that, long term it's just bad for individual communities. /rantover

To be honest, I don't see myself using the xrealm function very often to begin with, seeing as the whole 2-3 people I normally RP with are on TN, but the function is definitely interesting. For once, I was able to see WrA without transferring servers or something, and I was surprised by how easily I phased from one server to the other without seeing a stupid loading screen.

Hang on a minute. Maybe I misread something somewhere, but the only time you actually phase in and out of the other servers is when someone invites you.

*RP on Ravenholdt with buddies? Have them invite me.

*Someone from MG wants to see TN? I invite them.

And you phase back once the group is dropped.

End of story.

Don't like it? Don't do it. <3

I can't find the link - but then I didn't really look for the post that had Blizzard ensuring that RP and RP-PvP realms are the ones who are able to merge. That is an olive branch to an otherwise horrible record of telling these special ruleset servers to eat their own shit (the last time being the creation of the RP-PvP servers). While it is not ideal, it *is* something... and something is better than nothing in this regard.

Giving communities the opportunity to merge and associate with each other can be seen as something stand alone. Don't concern yourself with the why or how - merely go with the moment and enjoy it. If you are super famous (or your guild is) and you are offended by someone not knowing that - do what got you (or your group) famous in the first place - it worked the first time after all.

This gives our server an opportunity for more association, as well. If someone is shitting on a TN guild, we may feel obligated to back them up. Do we like them? No, maybe not... but nobody fucks with our own. This could form natural rivalries and opportunities to not only get to know people and guilds that don't usually get together - but foster a community that many feel are lacking (be it server, faction, or another excuse for blood elves to have sex with each other).

While it is difficult to look at this from an individual point-of-view, I will say that if you are associated with a guild... put a fire under your guild masters ass if you find something interesting to do. If a guild from another server is doing something, you may want to have your leaders contact their leaders and start something of an "official" correspondence. Most may not work, but the thing that will really turn this into a golden opportunity is groups of people with group ideas - not just a bunch of folks who want to play Princess Tea Party Land.

Don't like it? Don't do it. <3

Give me the option to opt out and I'll happily not do it.

Logged in to TN. Flew to Stormpeaks just now and saw some people from Emerald Dream. I'm not partied with anyone.

So I was hanging in Silvermoon with my buds last night. We were thinking, "Hey, nobody goes there anymore. Maybe we can RP some things in solitude." But then a bunch of elves appeared out of nowhere (literally appeared out of nowhere - *poof*) asking what server they were on and why a goblin was sitting on an elf. Pretty sure they were roleplayers, and I think they were searching for realms to transfer to. It's a cool idea and seems to open up a lot of opportunities, but we ended up going to Thunder Bluff to escape the chaos.

Yeah I can see that as becoming a rather odd issue.

I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into words so bear with me here... but basically I see this as a huge opportunity for people who really enjoy being dicks on the internet to be... larger dicks on the internet. TN is a small community, not just talking about RP. Most active people know the other active people. We might not all like each other at times, but we tolerate each other. When we have someone who NOBODY likes, we usually have ways to chase them away (of course this strategy hasn't really been good for our server as a whole over Cata, I will admit that...)

Now other servers are given the chance to come to our server whenever they like using a friend's party. They can do a great number of things on our server, and honestly I'd like to know for sure that they can't go to a capitol besides SW or Org and use our AH. Either way, they can do many things we might consider 'bad'.

But at the end of the day they just leave the group they're in, and return to their server. Nobody ostracizes them there, because nobody cares what happens here. It's taking the anonymity of the internet even further is the point I'm trying to make.