Implement Reputation Levels?

Should TNG implement a rep system  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should TNG implement a rep system

• (Like!) (+1)
    • No, this will only cause friction
    • I'd be willing to give it a trial run and if it turns ugly, remove it
    • Don't care either way

Another option that became available with the upgrade is the ability for members to give reputation to others for good or bad posts.

I've seen this work well on forums that are more information oriented (ie, technical forums, guides, etc), but I'm not sure how well it would work here. I know in the past I would definitely not have implemented it, but most of the current users are pretty good about not stirring up drama.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, the idea is each day you get say, 5 points. You can give up to 5 people's posts a +1 rating. There are rules that can be put in place so you aren't just bumping one friend's rep (ie, you have to give 10 other people rep before you can give rep to that person again).

If I implement this, I will probably not turn on the negative feedback, although I can picture times when that might be useful.

The positives:

It gives people a facebook "Like" or G+ +1 type of thanks for posting without actually needing to post a "that post was awesome"

The negatives:

Reputation can get clickish...people circle +'ing each other to "win" at something that isn't a competition

In doing a bit of research on other forums with reputation systems, I found this thread, which offers opinions from many people whether or not they liked the system: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?453981-The-Forum-Reputation-System

I have a really bad feeling about this.. I think more harm than good can come from it. Although it would be fun to sometimes have a 'like' button, I really don't think its necessary and I think it would cause a lot of unnecessary drama and hurt feelings if we started messing around with reputation levels.

+ 1 Nika, +4 Mort

But you should know well how TNG is. That aside, it can be still good IF only people can gain points, rather then also being able to lose some.

It would prevent some flame or so.

This is an interesting concept, and I feel we should explore it. I can see both strengths and weaknesses in this.

For example, this should be able to help keep Nether Legends from getting so much ooc spam. I know people mean well, and they wish to promote what they like, but it does cut up the pace and immersion of a story. Then there is the idea of having a more accurate portrayal of just how many people are not only Reading what you are writing, but are enjoying it. We have many lurkers within our glorious site, this could allow them to show where their interests lay, perhaps?

That being said, I also understand the concerns. We have had those sorts of of people who seemed to thrive either on Trolling, or Drama. And we certainly do not wish to support this. But as Mortica said, most of those people have vanished over time. And this isn't like it's a concept we cannot remove. I say we give it a shot.

It would be nice to see it in Nether Legends and Art - no point in having it in Miscellaneous and General Discussion.

If there is a way for admins and mods to monitor it, I think that could relieve people from being silly. Of course, having only the ability to like something means we do not have to monitor someone intentionally being a jack-off because they feel they need to "punish" someone for having friends who like their material.

People are more inclined to make art or write stories if they are able to get feedback. Having a tool for people to give their support would be nice and could be an incentive.

I follow the belief that if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all. There are artworks and stories on this forum that I personally don't care for. But I'd never dream of giving anyone a negative rating on something they put time and effort to just because it wasn't to my taste. I feel like that would actually discourage people from sharing what they create. I know it would most likely cause me to think twice before I post something publically. I think we're pretty good about leaving feedback for work we appreciate, even if its just in a PM or on someone's profile.

If the reputation system was going to be put in place, I'd like it a little bit more you couldn't rate something anonymously. If you want to rate something negatively- own it, and have the balls to put your name behind it.

I do not like this concept, and will not be keeping my writing on TNG if it is implemented.

I have never liked these sorts of systems. They encourage laziness and lack of constructive criticism.

They encourage laziness and lack of constructive criticism.

I dont think you are thinking the samething as OP... we're talking about rep points given by other players to a target player. If theres something to encourage, it would be ppl making better post with stronger argument, so that ppl +rep them.

It would be nice to see it in Nether Legends and Art - no point in having it in Miscellaneous and General Discussion.

If there is a way for admins and mods to monitor it, I think that could relieve people from being silly. Of course, having only the ability to like something means we do not have to monitor someone intentionally being a jack-off because they feel they need to "punish" someone for having friends who like their material.

People are more inclined to make art or write stories if they are able to get feedback. Having a tool for people to give their support would be nice and could be an incentive.

This is what I was talking about.

I've been on my fair share of creative writing forums, and every time I've seen something like this go into place, it turned out to be bad news. People would go on campaigns to get their stories 'liked' while the people doing the 'liking' felt no need to give any criticism beyond that because hey, they clicked 'like' isn't that enough for you? This did not help the poster improve as a writer. Not going to lie: a bunch of 'upvotes' on my work sure does feel good, but it doesn't tell me what people liked, or why they liked it, and all the same applies to 'downvotes' but in reverse.

And even aside from the problem of lack of criticism and reader laziness, it also turned everything into a popularity contest and put more stress on writers that did not feel as confident about their work. It even discouraged a lot of people from posting because they were afraid of the numbers that people clicking one button or another would generate. And I really don't feel like it should have anything to do with popularity, especially when it comes to the artistic sections of the forums.

The implementation of systems similar to the one being described here destroyed a few good, small writing communities I was a member of. The moderators of these places had hoped it would generate more traffic, but none of the forums even exist anymore. One I distinctly remember losing over half its artists in a fortnight because of infighting, cliquishness and drama that was probably already there to a degree but when the system hit, it was aggravated to breaking point.

I really don't want that to happen to a place I like more than I did any of those other places, and I've been around here much longer too. Last thing I want to see is problems created by popularity.

Please, no.

I agree, the current TN forum crowd is pretty good at not stirring unnececarry drama because of petty things. So lets not implement a new outlet for people to start drama-ing and ruin that peace we have.

As one who posts art here, I LOATH the idea of the appreciative comments on my thread that always give me a warm fuzzy inside being replaced by a static "+1". There is no meaning behind it. Hitting the button would be practicly a courtesy, wheras when someone takes the time to leave a comment (even a "THis looks cool" comment) it actually means something.

Don't take that away.

Give the kids a toy.

If they can't use it correctly, take the toy away.

Hell, SomethingAwful forums use a mechanic like that and they have like 150,000 members.

Yeah, this won't be happening. I had my reservations about it to begin with, but figured I'd put it out there to see if others would like the idea. The shrieks of doom and gloom and apocalyptic chanting kinda clinched the decision not to do it.