Sign in to follow this  
Mortica

Anti-WoW, Anti-TN, Repetitive Anti-whatever, or the 12 stages of Online Grief

This isn't a new phenomenon.

While I have zero intention of turning TNG into some sort of forced "Happiness is Mandatory, Citizen!" zone, it does get annoying when a TNG member loses their love of the game, or TN RP, or whatever use to keep them posting on TNG. It's not any single post that gets you the Negative Nancy hat. Usually it takes several months of being a downer to truly tick people off.

WoW's been around for almost eight years (as of the time I'm writing this). Someone who started playing at 14 is now 22. Someone who started playing at 20 is now 28. Some people are still playing and loving it. Some people only played for a year, or two, or three before they became burnt out on it or their lives just became too busy to invest as much time into the game. Or maybe they moved onto a different game, or a different server.

TNG has always had an open door policy as far as letting people stay and hang out even if they aren't playing here anymore. Usually this works great, as long as the person remembers that TNG is a fansite for a videogame. People come here when they LIKE playing WoW on Twisting Nether and want to enhance that enjoyment with people who share their interest.

Another common thing that happens to people when they lose interest in something is the need to validate the decision to stop doing something they once enjoyed.

"This game sucks. The game I'm playing now is 9,000 times better!".

"RP on my new server is awesome! I can't believe I use to slum on YOUR server"

"WoW Lore is stupid now. I can't play something this messed up."

Which is cool. I'm all about validating your opinions. They are perfectly legit opinions. There is absolutely no one standing behind your desk right now holding a gun forcing you to enjoy WoW, TN RP, or pandas. However, if you want to continuously rant on these forums about whatever dead-horse issue you're fixated on, please don't be surprised if all the happy people who still enjoy the game turn around and tell you to STFU.

Or if a friendly moderator sends you a warning and points you to this thread.

┈┈┈┈┈┈▕▔╲

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈▏▕

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈▏▕▂▂▂

▂▂▂▂▂▂╱┈▕▂▂▂▏

▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏

▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏

▔▔▔▔▔▔╲▂▕▂▂▂I

We need a like button.

Have we considered the possibility of tweaking wow-tng's mission? Perhaps it could instead become a site dedicated to people who used to like wow and play on TN?

Have we considered the possibility of tweaking wow-tng's mission? Perhaps it could instead become a site dedicated to people who used to like wow and play on TN?

No. I'd shut the site down and make it a static historical library of TN RP and art before I let it become yet another general internet gripe zone.

Depending on how cross-realm zones affect TN, I may open it up to other RP-PVP server RPers when Mists becomes live.

Mortica, you remind me greatly of Her Serenity, the Lady of Pain. From Planescape. Distant yet ever watching, with laissez faire fist of iron. She is merciless in her absolute conviction, which she excercises to unknown motives (but always the benefit of her domain). Some speculate she is a renegade archdevil, a long forgotten goddess, a or even a construct, perhaps trapped in her cty that rests above the axis of reality; nobody knows. Whatever the case may be, she refuses worship, punishing those that dare do so with no less finality than whosoever else dares impinge on her few but unyielding demands. Devils, angels, mortals and more all fear her, yet there is no question as to the benevolence and stability of her regime. Impartial and for all intents and purposes, utterly devoted to her domain, yet never looking beyond it for more.

You're one of my favourite, most understated things about wow-tng, and indeed TN itself. You're not online all that much, but much of the community rests upon your commitment and work. I had a poke around some of the other RP-PvP server, mainly out of curiousity. The problems we groan about here have destroyed those servers. I suspect it is because they didn't have a Mortica of their own.

It would indeed be an untenable shame to see wow-tng rot away in a slow death of indistinct snark and negativity. Not that I think it is in any risk of doing so.

Ha! I never played planescape, but I always like the source books whenever I found a place that sold such things. That description reminded me of Galadriel and Frodo's conversation in the first LotR movie: