Nanori

Text-Based or Duels for IC Fights

Do you prefer duels or text-based (rolling) style for IC fighting?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer duels or text-based (rolling) style for IC fighting?

• I would prefer duels
    • I prefer dice rolling and text
    • I support a mix of both for the low-level toons

This still puts other mechanics over Roleplay. I think, to "fix" Twisting Nether, we should focus on Roleplay. Not leveling and PvP grinding. You can do that anywhere. Again, do what both parties want.

Give and take, Roleplay is for fun. Find a medium if either character would never back down. We can all be friends. Except for Duroxas. I'm going to end him for trying to take Axeypoo.

And yes, Duroxas. T'was fun. Effin' dargons.

I personally don't have any experience with playing or rping a toon that is an "ordinary" person.

In that instance I suppose I could support the text based roll thing.

My toons are all soldiering types in different ways.

Nanori is a ranger in service of the Horde, she maps territory, hunts Alliance etc. But she also is an enchanter and jewelcrafter on the side.

Kailei is a Blood Knight and Dreadweaver of the Grim, she fights in service to her people...mending her allies and friends on the battlefield. She is a miner and soon to be engineer on the side.

Nana'dwa is a member of the Cenarion Circle. Even though she is mostly peaceful and promotes protecting Azeroth, she is known to ferociously defend her allies and attack those who harm the earth.

So whereas in my mind I see my toons having their own reasons for fighting, I cannot see myself playing a typical civilian in a world torn by wars on multiple fronts.

I think, to "fix" Twisting Nether, we should focus on Roleplay. Not leveling and PvP grinding.

This for me personally just makes me think "Well if that's how the servers going to be, why not just play on an RP server?" Because Twisting Nether is RP/PvP, I don't fully get the idea of a person who doesn't incorporate both those things into their gameplay.

Oh, fixing the PvP aspect of the server is pretty tough in it's own.

Again, to each their own. You know of my abilities, Urivial! I go with the Roleplay, forever wandering~

I dont see where in an RP server it says you cant have duel PvP against another player. Duel RP isnt unique to RPPvP realms. World PvP RP is.

This argument (the two or three times we've had it over the years) has always devolved into the some style of "you can't tell me how to play" and "whatever makes you feel good".

While those stances are not *wrong*, nobody wants to play with the wittle baby who doesn't realize this is an MMO and, as such, there are real (i.e. pixels) ways of handling business. As roleplayers, we like to let our imagination go wild... but there is a point where the imagination stops and the interaction of your avatar comes into play. Some disagree with that - but most that do can probably count the amount of people they interact with on their finger digits.

Or they went to Moonguard and Wyrmrest Accord because PvP is hard.

IMO:

If a player, while RPing, factors in PvP gear due to time and effort and 'skill', they should also factor in time /played and achievement points, since it's harder to get It's Over Nine Thousand! and 200 + days of gametime than pvp gear capped for 1 season.

IMO:

If a player, while RPing, factors in PvP gear due to time and effort and 'skill', they should also factor in time /played and achievement points, since it's harder to get It's Over Nine Thousand! and 200 + days of gametime than pvp gear capped for 1 season.

This makes no sense. Having better quality gear can and should be Rp acknowledged, but time /played and worthless achievement points mean absolutely nothing. How does your character existing longer than mine in the game (or vice versa) affect anything?

Personally, I've done both, and I have no trouble floating between whatever the other person wants, if they are particularly passionate about one or the other. RPing it out gives it more depth (or 'fluff' as was called), but I feel like dueling makes it more visceral, at least for me.

Well it does make sense, since some people say the level 85 with pvp gear should win since they have put more time and effort into their character.

People that agree with ^ should agree with v

(example: ) Character X and Character Y both are level 85 warriors with full cataclysmic armor.

Character X has 20 days played and basic achievements.

Character Y has 100 days played and has 50000 Honorable Kills achievement and The Arena Master achievement.

Obviously Character Y has been in more RP fights and encounters (the character is more experienced), and has put way more time and effort into his/her character.

Okay, I'll bite and throw an opinion in here.

Text, or a regular duel? It's situational.

When it's one on one, or even numbers vs. even numbers, I'll say that I personally vastly prefer to have a duel/arena match/wargame. I'm proud of my gear and I love my class and I'm proud of the skills I've accumulated through my/Svet's experiences over time, and I find PvP very fun. If I can arrange for an in-character fight to actually translate to a PvP fight I will push for it.

That being said, I've done my fair share of text/roll-based fights. There are a number of reasons behind this, from some of my friends preferring this methodology, to pre-planned plots where certain events needed to occur or it needed to be steered a certain direction in order to progress a story. They're fun and allow the writer within me (I'm sure at least one person on this board knows I write things) to be creative and do things I couldn't normally do with the game mechanics, within the boundaries of reason of course.

I think that last bit there is the source of some of the animosity toward text-battles that even I confess to feeling: the idea that the other person is going to use text to get around what should and shouldn't be possible for their character and godmod. Also it makes people who worked for their gear and PvP skills feel like they're being told all that doesn't ICly matter. That isn't right, because it should matter.

But at the end of the day, I've personally found decking out a character in this season's honor gear is really not all that hard, and I highly recommend doing so if you're going to go around starting fights with people on the fly.

Well it does make sense, since some people say the level 85 with pvp gear should win since they have put more time and effort into their character.

(example: ) Character X and Character Y both are level 85 warriors with full cataclysmic armor.

Character Y has 100 days played and has 50000 Honorable Kills achievement and The Arena Master achievement.

Obviously Character Y has been in more RP fights and encounters (the character is more experienced), and has put way more time and effort into his/her character.

I do not agree with that.

The whole point of using dueling to resolve IC conflict is because we are on an RP/PvP server. It would be foolish to try to force that view onto an RP server where none of them step into BGs, and none of them flag.

But because it's an RP/PvP server, it's more reasonable to expect to find people who incorporate their PvP into their RP. It's why they're on the server in the first place most of the time hopefully.

In a duel, /played and achievements will never factor in. Feel free to bring them into your text-based combat though, I'm sure you can convince people that it's a good idea =)

EDIT: In the end, I really just feel if you're going to be on an RP/PvP server, you should be prepared to do both. As I find a lot of the people rooting for text-based in this thread usually are prepared to do both lol.

I am not saying time and effort are what's most important.

So no I do not agree with the achievement scale is the same as gear.

Why? Because a NEWer level 85, who has researched his/her class, has spent the little time he/she might have been 85 grinding out PvP gear, may very well be more skilled than the OLDer level 85 when it comes down to PvP. Gear + Skill are important, not time spent on a character (not that time spent on a character is NOT important, just not in this sense).

My whole purpose behind this thread, is to point out that all characters have a weakness, and all characters CAN be defeated. Anyone who plays a bad-ass, tough as nails, "I can kill anyone", "I have seen years and years of combat" type of character, from MY POINT OF VIEW (as this IS a RP/PvP server) needs to have at LEAST some skill where PvP is concerned. Otherwise, you are just being silly.

As to the level difference thing, as I know this is where a lot of the conflict on this thread is arising. I agree with the whole "training season" scale. It doesn't necessarily need to be a "training" season, for those of you who play "civilian" type characters. That's just my terminology. But still it makes sense that a civilian or soldier who has survived 85 seasons or whatever you wanna call it, will defeat or flee successfully from someone who has only survived, trained, studied, or whatever for 60 seasons.

I am not saying I won't EVER roll combat, I am just saying why not duel to see the outcome of the fight and then add the fluff?

Well first of all, you're changing your original point slightly, because nowhere do you mention relevant PvP achievements, not that those would matter anyway, unless you're recognizing that IC (Which very, very few people do unless they randomly try to pull the "I'm an arena master" when they've never RPed it before for some fake IC clout). Secondly, again, days /played has nothing to do with anything. You're assuming that because a character has existed in the game longer than someone else's, they automatically are better? Where does that even make sense? If you're taking that into RP, how do you even do that? "I've existed for...120 days, and you only for 90! I win!"

Not to mention using "Arena master" or other titles is another one of those situations where multiple people can hold the same title at once, so it matters little in roleplay because you're singling yourself out as the sole holder of the title. Its the same as people who claim they're the only one using Shadowmourne, Tarecgosa's Rest, or Rag's hammer.

You're also trying to compare something tangible with something intangible. You can point to a staff and IC say that that you had this staff crafted to your specific needs made from Dragon bone or some other material versus saying, "YEAH WELL I'VE KILLED 50,000 PEOPLE IN MY LIFE." Not only can people just totally ignore that IC, since there's no tangible proof that carries over into RP, but it also implies that just because you've killed more people means that you're a better fighter. This is not always the case. There's just no realistic way to use actual achievements IC, because of the very nature of what achievements are. It seems odd that we even have to clarify that. Here's something relevant:

[video=youtube;qlxZKUWXxiU]

I have the opposite problem most of the people in this thread are complaining about.

My RP character- Nika- is a shitty fighter. She's a rogue, but that doesn't mean she's good with a knife or knows a damn about the battlefield. She doesn't wear leather armor- she wears loose casual, loose fitting cloth clothing. She doesn't carry gigantic blades or elaborate daggers. Whatever knife she does carry would be more like a cheap pocketknife or razor blade, and sometimes a few simple throwing blades. (Think vendor trash.) She doesn't really know how to do ANY of the game mechanics available to her beyond her typical stealth and escape abilities.

I did an RP fight with Nyali a few months ago that was basically pvp- but I fought the way Nika would fight IC- with saps, blinds (throwing dirt in the eyes), maybe a gouge and then vanish/sprint. Even though OOC she's a level 85 combat rogue- None of the game mechanics or her levels apply to the character.

So what do you do then? Having a normal duel would be completely OOC, unless I handled it the way I did with Nyali and only used the abilities she actually would be using IC. At the same time, she doesn't usually go walking around picking fights with people and if she DOES, she *never* uses a weapon, only her fists or whatever happens to be in arms reach.

When I'm playing Nika, it's mostly for RP only. It's why it makes no difference to me if she's level 1 or level 85. (Except for the stealth penalties at lower levels.) Anything she's done in the past 85 levels to gain those levels was 100% OOC. It's still crazy to me to imagine our characters are actually doing things like murdering quest NPCs and animals in character. "Bring me 5 goretusk snouts and the head of whats his face up in Eastvale Logging Camp." Do your characters REALLY go around butchering animals or murdering other people to get a new pair of boots or a few pieces of gold? I always considered the leveling experience to be completely OOC, at least as far as I'm concerned. Same with dungeons.. I've done plenty on Nika OOC. She'd never set foot in one, in actuality. Those are just things I do to pass the time when I'm NOT RPing.

I guess I'm alone in that, but I'm still happy to stay true to what my character would actually do, and if that means she's running around in simple cloth pants and a blouse and able to be beaten up by a 'level 10', that's fine by me.

Urivial did some of that shit in the vague sense ICly. He fought in EPL during Vanilla WoW, he went to Outlands during BC, he went to Northrend in Wotlk. Maybe not every quest he did personally, and certainly not the ones where you make a huge difference, because others would claim they did that and made the huge difference, and why the fuck are you stealing their thunder and all that jazz. But in a way, I do consider the lvling process semi-IC, i just don't RP it out if that makes any sense.

Urivial also has Loremaster, meaning he ran around and learned a whole bunch of crap about different cultures of Azeroth, and histories and cool stuff like that. At least, that's how I've always RPed Loremaster being.

Well first of all, you're changing your original point slightly, because nowhere do you mention relevant PvP achievements,

Well someone with It's Over Nine Thousand is bound to have some PvP achievements, but yes, I was talking about achievements (pvp) and total points. Sorry I didn't clarify. I think someone who has, let's say, the Conqueror title SHOULD be a little extra intimidating IC. Or someone who has 11000 achievement points. OOCly I respect players that have the cool achievements more than I do everyone and their grandmother who has cataclysmic pvp gear. And personally, I don't think stats should affect RP or RP fights. No matter how much agility a hunter gets, they can't physically shoot someone with a bow if their target is moving fast (mount). Bows aren't fast enough. Nor would a female Gnome warrior without gadgets ever be capable of beating a male Tauren warrior, UNLESS the Gnome laid out a trap or dropped an anvil on the tauren's head. Of course, you can't do that in a duel.

Secondly, again, days /played has nothing to do with anything. You're assuming that because a character has existed in the game longer than someone else's, they automatically are better

Yes, I believe that. The more time a person plays, the more time (assuming they are an rper) they will spend RPing. They will be discussing events with people in taverns, or ICly fighting things, or just doing whatever. When a character isn't RPing, nothing happens. The toon is just sleeping or practicing or reading or chilling in a guild hall or going to the bathroom (which is best to do ICly in a bucket). Yes, the new 85 can still beat the older one, but the older one will have a reputation or will have some crazy ass transmog weapons/armor. (Again, intimidating.)

Not to mention using "Arena master" or other titles is another one of those situations where multiple people can hold the same title at once, so it matters little in roleplay because you're singling yourself out as the sole holder of the title. Its the same as people who claim they're the only one using Shadowmourne, Tarecgosa's Rest, or Rag's hammer.

That only applies if someone is using a title like "Destroyer's End", but that won't be ICly recognized anyway. A title like "Arena Master" or "Scout" or "Knight" or "Explorer" or "Elder" can be used by hundreds of people. There can definitely be more than one arena master, they could have fought at different arenas or at different times. There are definitely a bunch of scouts and knights and elders and explorers etc etc.

Speaking of which, if I decide to make an alt who's RP is based around being an explorer, I should get the achievement on that toon.

but it also implies that just because you've killed more people means that you're a better fighter.

In situations it does have an effect...the characer is more experienced, right? Knows how to kill people. Knows where to stab, knows where shoot. Knows how certain people fight. Yes, people can still duel if they want, they should just take that into mind.

Btw Necro nice video, I laughed.

I do not agree with that.

The whole point of using dueling to resolve IC conflict is because we are on an RP/PvP server. It would be foolish to try to force that view onto an RP server where none of them step into BGs, and none of them flag.

But because it's an RP/PvP server, it's more reasonable to expect to find people who incorporate their PvP into their RP. It's why they're on the server in the first place most of the time hopefully.

In a duel, /played and achievements will never factor in. Feel free to bring them into your text-based combat though, I'm sure you can convince people that it's a good idea =)

EDIT: In the end, I really just feel if you're going to be on an RP/PvP server, you should be prepared to do both. As I find a lot of the people rooting for text-based in this thread usually are prepared to do both lol.

@ Urivial: I am prepared to do both, (and I win most of my duels, which you already know) but yes I do prefer text based. And no, I wouldn't convince anyone that is fighting text based to rely on achievements and played. I just meant if you are going to take stats that you earn OOCly fighting in bgs over and over, or arenas or rbgs, might as well take into consideration achievements and character experience. And, like Nanori said, if you're going to play an aggressive person, you should have PVP gear and some good PvP achievements and be a known rper to back it up.

aaand @ Nika's post, that's one reason I prefer emote and or roll fighting. Guns and bows suck in WoW, Ugraz would much rather just punch you in the face or hit you with a chair. When I leveled, back in BC, I leveled as a melee Survival Hunter, and it was actually an O.K. set up. Now it's terrible. So in PvP, I'm MM but when I duel, Ugraz would never ICly do the things he does. He would never disengage or summon magic sword things to deflect attacks. And in RP I can atleast emote taking a couple minutes to set up a trap, instead of just insta-placing one.

Urivial did some of that shit in the vague sense ICly. He fought in EPL during Vanilla WoW, he went to Outlands during BC, he went to Northrend in Wotlk. Maybe not every quest he did personally, and certainly not the ones where you make a huge difference, because others would claim they did that and made the huge difference, and why the fuck are you stealing their thunder and all that jazz. But in a way, I do consider the lvling process semi-IC, i just don't RP it out if that makes any sense.

Urivial also has Loremaster, meaning he ran around and learned a whole bunch of crap about different cultures of Azeroth, and histories and cool stuff like that. At least, that's how I've always RPed Loremaster being.

Yup, Ugraz did the same things. (Northrend during WotLK, places like Uldum during cata) I'd like to hope most characters do. Why would they just stand back while Arthas is in Northrend threatening the world (of warcraft) or while Illidan had his giant demonic army ready to enter azeroth. Most characters seem the type to try and stop that. (not the suicidal characters?)

And I like the loremaster thing, which was...what I was...semi trying to encourage.

The way I see your situation Nika, is that you are okay with getting beat up by a character that has a LOT less experience than you.

My toons, Kailei, Nanori, and hell even Nanadwa, know they live in a war-torn world, they know how to fight, they aren't going to run around in cloth, and have shoddy weapons. Questing is partially IC for me, yeah my toons may not run around and be proud about killing animals and finding stuff in the world. But they did learn of the world surrounding them, they know who their enemies are, they know who they can help and where help is needed as they "quest" to help save Azeroth.

From what I have seen of this discussion, some people are okay with only text based fighting, some are okay with only duels, and some support a mix.

After all of this discussion, I am happy to say that I would support a system such as this:

-A duel takes place to pre-determine a winner of a fight, or an OOC conversation happens BEFORE the fight to determine who wins (IMO i'd use this option for storyline progression ONLY)

-Then the two can do a text-based fight to add the fluff. With the pre-determined loser losing the fight, while maybe scoring some wounds on the winner.

This in my opinion would eliminate the need for relying solely on the random number generator, which I can't stand due to the fact that it is VERY random.

I love using the /roll system combined with text (though in some situations like with Nyali its fun to either be on opposite factions or have a duel active and mix in text along with SOME combat).. but I agree about the random number not making sense. The way I've done it in the past is when we're working out the /roll, I like to put a difficulty on it.

For example, one time Nika was with a guard escort and was being taken somewhere, but I wanted to attempt an escape. But the odds of her being successful were VERY low and wouldn't be supported by a straight /roll. So I proposed that I'd have to roll a 95 or higher in order for her to succeed in getting away. It's sort of like the D&D difficulty system. In my opinion it makes it a bit more interesting as well. You discuss with the other person what you're attempting to do and agree on a number you have to beat BEFORE you make the roll.

And that right there is where I disagree with you Nika.

WoW is not by any means a table-top RPG. As much as I like Table-top roleplaying, I am not going to sit there in a fight and figure out the difficulty on things. As it is text based fights go on long enough with people rolling for every punch or stab or kick or defensive action.

My only issue with text-based fights is the randomness of the rolls. If I wanted my characters life or fate to hang on the balance I'd go play D&D where there ARE set difficulties in place for things like that.

We play WoW.

I think what it all comes down to in the bottom line is that there really can't be one set system that everyone is forced to follow. Yes, we all play WoW. But I think from the discussions here, that means something a little bit different to each individual. There will never be a standard norm to follow and there doesn't need to be. It's up to the people involved how they want to handle a fight, and it's something they'd have to agree on.

If Nika were to get in a fight with Kailei, I'd expect for it to be a straight duel- which is why Nika would never pick a fight with Kailei to begin with! ;)

From what I have seen of this discussion, some people are okay with only text based fighting, some are okay with only duels, and some support a mix.

After all of this discussion, I am happy to say that I would support a system such as this:

-A duel takes place to pre-determine a winner of a fight, or an OOC conversation happens BEFORE the fight to determine who wins (IMO i'd use this option for storyline progression ONLY)

-Then the two can do a text-based fight to add the fluff. With the pre-determined loser losing the fight, while maybe scoring some wounds on the winner.

This in my opinion would eliminate the need for relying solely on the random number generator, which I can't stand due to the fact that it is VERY random.

Well, thats wonderful and all, support your heart out for that system. I'm personally not going to adopt it unless someone wants to fight me and asks to use that system, but whatever works for you. I'm in the "prepared to do both" camp; Love the creativity of text, but am perfectly capable and willing (albiet not my preference) to duel it out.

Because I was under the impression that this was a discussion thread where we were talking about why we support one or the other, duels or IC fights, for the purpose of getting our opinions out there and such. Not that we were going to use the projected results to attempt to throw down another set of rules onto the server. That looks like a wonderful system for someone who wants to use it, but it's not applicable to say a controlled RP where the outcome has already been decided by the players involved. And it's not like anyone is going to -change- their preference because someone else says "this is the way we're all doing it now". (I may be jumping to conclusions on that last bit, implicating that you want to make this a sort of "TN standard, and I apologise if that's the case).

On a personal note, I love the random factor sometimes. Its like gambling! I wouldn't put my character's life on it (cept almost that time with Alth holy butts that got close), but its got its epic moments :3.

Edit; On another quick note.

I think that might be a bit of an overstatement. Dueling is -not- limited to PvP servers. And you cant honestly say that NO ONE on a PvE server flags or does/enjoys PvP. World PvP while out questing? Maybe not thier cup of tea. What i'm trying to get at, though, is that the RPPvP state of the server doesn't necessarily mean that all conflicts must be resolved in PvP or that it makes our duels more special than RP duels on say, WRA.

I am not trying to force people into one way or another. I am just stating what I'd be willing to support, and where I could see myself doing "text-based" combat. I am not a fan of rolling dice in an MMO. Like I mentioned, that's what D&D is for.

I can only state my opinion so many times here really and from my bout on shoutbox people just don't understand my opinion. A lot of points I can come up with I am happily surprised that others here can bring them up.

There is a lot of mixed stances here and I like that some people can take up a mixed stance when approached by RP fights. To me there seems to be a lot of atomicity to this situation where random bobbybaddass lowbie comes up and starts these things and seems like those times have really stuck with people. I am sorry for that, but not every lowbie is like that right? Like I was trying to get across to Svet I do believe if approached by a lowbie and they are cool and the RP happening isn't going to lead to some undodgeable back stab that I would give them some credence. They don't need to be my friend to get some sort of credence-

I appear like I really push text though after my first post, and really its cause it seems like people against it are far louder and text based side seems to be on some kind of defense mission. But I love RP dueling as much and I been in far more RP duels, specially during my time in Dusk Watch (was awesome) so I know how immersive it is. When your confident about your pvp skills your character can be just as confident and feel tough. Roth has been in plenty of bouts before and is similar to Nano's characters he is always ready for something, and my knowledge as transferred a bit to Roth in his confidence.

Anyways I enjoy when more people are open to be mixed about fighting styles I want people to be open minded to more things cause it will allow more people to come in and feel accepted or have no difficulties joining with us.

If both people are okay with it, then that's all fine and good, but a level 85 skilled and geared PvPer is no match for anyone below 85, period. If you pick a fight at sub-85 with an lvl 85, esp a geared one, you should expect to have your ass handed to you. The assumption that everyone is on equal footing ruins immersion, for me anyhow. Picking a fight with someone who is 6'6" and 280 lbs is a lot different from someone who is 5' 0" and 100 lbs, as is the difference between someone trained in martial arts and someone not, etc. This is what your level, and less directly, your gear and PvP ability represent. Just like your ability to RP reflects on your character's.. well.. character, your ability to PvP reflects on your character's combat ability. If you are going to RP a bamf, you better be able to back it up with more than dice rolls.

I've twice had people try to instigate "roll" battles with me instead of dueling me, and both times I politely explained to them OOC that I'd be glad to duel them, but I wasn't going to dignify them acting beyond their (character's) ability by leaving it up to a roll of the dice.

Finally, I will reiterate that if both people are okay with it, then that's fine and good. I don't give a rat's ass how other people RP as long as everyone's in agreement and having fun. For me, there is nothing fun about losing a "duel" to a low level on my geared pvp toon I've put thousands of BGs and arenas into because we had to play like we're on equal footing.

You're also trying to compare something tangible with something intangible. You can point to a staff and IC say that that you had this staff crafted to your specific needs made from Dragon bone or some other material versus saying, "YEAH WELL I'VE KILLED 50,000 PEOPLE IN MY LIFE." Not only can people just totally ignore that IC, since there's no tangible proof that carries over into RP, but it also implies that just because you've killed more people means that you're a better fighter. This is not always the case. There's just no realistic way to use actual achievements IC, because of the very nature of what achievements are.

I disagree. Uniquely modeled mounts, tabards, official military ranks from RBGs, Justicar title, arena titles, and many others serve as completely acceptable IC ways of legitimately showing your combat experience without pretending to be completely unique. You don't have to be The Justicar to be a Justicar. It is a title bestowed by the Alliance military for extraordinary service, is not exclusive, and is totally RP legit, along with all the others I mentioned as long as you're not pretending you're "the one," but I don't see that as a common problem in this case.