Kromthal

Server type

Do you think TN will be better as an RP server over an RPPvP?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think TN will be better as an RP server over an RPPvP?

• Yes, I do think so.
    • No, I like it as an RPPvP

To mirror what other of my guild have already stated: No PVP, No Grim.

Now maybe I'm biased but my guild is the ONLY reason I am still playing 7 years later.

What he said.

No one has to participate or make a toon on WrA, it's perfectly ok if you aren't interested. I just feel like making the effort to go out and meet some new people and expand our circle of friends and the RP community could be a good thing. How can making new friends be anything negative? :)

What's wrong with making new friends here?

What Raziel said. Everyone is acting as if all the good people are on other servers when a lot of them may actually be around on Twisting Nether, some of them first-timers, and some of them alts of people from other servers here to try it out, and some of them perhaps have been here a while and are interested in trying RP but don't know how.

Why not focus on TN instead of giving in to the grass-is-greener mentality?

Let's start by not having a fight in the tavern every time there's a gathering there, yeah? Those can be rather off putting, especially since many other servers disagree with the /roll way we handle combat. Let's all just get along...

@Raziel and Svet- Well, I think most of us do that already, but my suggestions were directed more towards the topic of this thread, which was how to attract more people to TN from other servers.

Let's start by not having a fight in the tavern every time there's a gathering there, yeah?
*Walks in Tavern. Sees DBZ fights. Frolics out and wonders why the guards haven't stopped the fighting yet.*

If the new Rpers have my mentality, that would make them run away fairly quickly. Take your fights outside of city walls!

I still think we as RP'ers on this server, TN, need to focus on TN.

Orgrimmar since the release of Diablo has looked like a ghost town. I have still yet to meet many of the Horde RP'ers that we have on this site alone in game...we need to focus on our inter-character interactions on this server. Hence the purpose of events like I arrange, and the ones that Masq does as well...

There are good points here, such as focusing on TN and avoiding the whole "grass-is-greener" prospect. However, I still agree with Nikaa's idea. Cross realm events is what would gather more role-players. Yes, we don't want to leave TN. Its not that we are going over there because "the grass is greener", its more we are going over there to get ideas of how we can make our grass greener, and share in the green grass with other servers (sorry if thats confusing, but I am a BIG fan of metaphors). RP events are great, and I love attending them, but it would be great if those events had more people. You don't need to make a permanent toon on WrA. I personally will only make a toon because of this, because I am faithful to TN. We may lack massively in quantity, but what we lack there we have in spirit and quality. Im all for Nikaa's idea, especially if it means people start to see Twisting Nether for what it is - a server with great people and great rp.

I still think we as RP'ers on this server, TN, need to focus on TN.

..we need to focus on our inter-character interactions on this server. Hence the purpose of events like I arrange, and the ones that Masq does as well...

I completely agree- it's very important that events like those continue.

Remember- we don't all have to agree to pick just one idea to help out our server. The more ideas that are thrown into the think tank, the better. When it comes down to continuing to organize events like Nanori and Masquerade have already been doing- or working with other servers- why can't we do both? We don't have to do just ONE thing. :)

But some people don't like the idea of working with other servers and that's fine. So I was thinking about it some more and came up with another idea that may appease those of you who want to keep things a little closer to home.

We've already been talking about advertising TN on the Rp section of the Wow Forums- but how about in addition to that- one of us (I'm looking at you, Nanori!) starts up a thread in that section and title it something along the lines of "Upcoming RP Events on Twisting Nether *Updated Weekly*"

Then, any one of us who create events such as Nanori's joust tournament, gathering in Dalaran, Masquerade's Fairbreeze Faire events, etc.. can post those events on that thread. We can not only advertise our server, but show people what all we're doing on Twisting Nether and hopefully attract some new people to create toons to join the events. The more events that can be listed with low level characters in mind, the better. That way, there's nothing stopping someone from even coming by on a level 1 alt to observe.

I think it's very important that whoever creates the thread adds the 'updated weekly' part in the title, to show that we have regular events and that we are active. And the more posts we add onto that thread the better- it'll keep us bumped up towards the top, as well.

Nanori, how do you feel about starting that thread up, since you've been really active already in reviving the RP events?

*Walks in Tavern. Sees DBZ fights. Frolics out and wonders why the guards haven't stopped the fighting yet.*

If the new Rpers have my mentality, that would make them run away fairly quickly. Take your fights outside of city walls!

I'll just put it out there. Text-Based RP Fights in an MMO are fucking stupid, and when I see people do them, I immediately assume they are mouthbreathing morons.

I'll just put it out there. Text-Based RP Fights in an MMO are fucking stupid, and when I see people do them, I immediately assume they are mouthbreathing morons.

Especially when it's on a PVP realm. I hate that so much.

Especially when it's on a PVP realm. I hate that so much.

But what if you're fighting someone on a MUCH lower level (i.e. lvl 10 vs. lvl 85)? A normal duel wouldn't be so fair then. I personally would only make a duel IC if both characters are properly geared and/or around the same level.

But what if you're fighting someone on a MUCH lower level (i.e. lvl 10 vs. lvl 85)? A normal duel wouldn't be so fair then.

And adding onto this, what if it's two on one? A healer against a DPS? What if you've devised a trap or want to incorporate your surroundings or fight someone while on horseback? In the sky while in bird form? Use your fists and make it a simple brawl?

There's plenty of room for text based fighting that allows for more creativity than a simple duel using game mechanics.

Yeah, getting waay off topic. :) So back to my original point:

I completely agree- it's very important that events like those continue.

Remember- we don't all have to agree to pick just one idea to help out our server. The more ideas that are thrown into the think tank, the better. When it comes down to continuing to organize events like Nanori and Masquerade have already been doing- or working with other servers- why can't we do both? We don't have to do just ONE thing. :)

But some people don't like the idea of working with other servers and that's fine. So I was thinking about it some more and came up with another idea that may appease those of you who want to keep things a little closer to home.

We've already been talking about advertising TN on the Rp section of the Wow Forums- but how about in addition to that- one of us (I'm looking at you, Nanori!) starts up a thread in that section and title it something along the lines of "Upcoming RP Events on Twisting Nether *Updated Weekly*"

Then, any one of us who create events such as Nanori's joust tournament, gathering in Dalaran, Masquerade's Fairbreeze Faire events, etc.. can post those events on that thread. We can not only advertise our server, but show people what all we're doing on Twisting Nether and hopefully attract some new people to create toons to join the events. The more events that can be listed with low level characters in mind, the better. That way, there's nothing stopping someone from even coming by on a level 1 alt to observe.

I think it's very important that whoever creates the thread adds the 'updated weekly' part in the title, to show that we have regular events and that we are active. And the more posts we add onto that thread the better- it'll keep us bumped up towards the top, as well.

Nanori, how do you feel about starting that thread up, since you've been really active already in reviving the RP events?

I'm late to the party, but I'll throw in my two cents. Maybe just one cent. >_>

The problem with any solution is it takes time and dedication. What that *means* is one person can do only so much. Most of us have jobs, we all have different amounts of playing time, and with those restrictions, it would be very hard for one person to say, do RP on TN, foster and organize RP events on TN, AND be ambassadors to WrA like Nika suggests. It's basically impossible. SO! We don't ALL have to do all that. We just choose what we like to do, and make sure everything's done to support TN.

Second point I want to make is we shouldn't get stuck in a zero-sum mentality on solutions. What if both Nika AND Nanori/Raz/Svet's thoughts are necessary for TN to become a vibrant RP community again? Don't see one idea as black and yours as white, just see them all as part of a big beautiful fruity rainbow.

Advertising on other servers can be a double edged sword, and has a very high risk of making Twisting Nether look REALLY bad to the RP community as a whole. The last thing we need is for us as a server to be accused of poaching people from other communities.

However, that being said- it isn't entirely a bad idea, as long as it's handled correctly. Personally, I've been referring to Wyrmrest Accord as a our sister server for awhile now, and I'd like it if more people would feel the same way. I think our communities could benefit each other and there could be some great opportunities for cross-server RP events. Morgrund, I think you're on the right track with the idea of an event where we create characters on their server. This part is extremely important- we don't want to just roll level 1 alt's and spam their trade and RP channels about Twisting Nether- that would give our server a really bad reputation.

This is what I propose: We already have a LOT of well established people from TNG that are currently playing over on WrA. I think we should get in touch with a couple of them and see about organizing some cool cross server events. Maybe a bunch of us could go to WrA and roll up some alts to Rp with them for one event.. and in turn, maybe a group from their server could join ours. This way, everyone involved could get a chance to meet some people that they might not otherwise have gotten to know, and make some new friends. I think if both of our communities could work together, this could really take off and we might get some new players over here.

Two people that immediately come to mind as good possibilities to approach with this idea would be Klimma or Joe Waldren. (Somnar.) They and several others from TNG have a guild going over there.. I forget the name, Provenance or something like that. I imagine they know a LOT of cool people over there already that might be interested in doing a bunch of group events for something like this, and they might be able to act as a sort of liaison between our communities.

Thoughts?

I think a sister server is a great idea.

Heh, I didn't think RP-PvP had enough PvP to be honest, I made quite a large post a couple years back about my dream server.

I believed RP-PvP was the best we had when ti came to immersion, but I wanted a hardcore RP-PvP server, no bluewalling anywhere, etc.

I was bored on TN. I left TN. I'm happier now, and still playing the game. So learn from why I'm gone, and maybe you can retain or get new folks.

Thoughts specific to TN:

I don't think that changing TN's tag will magically fix anything. At the core of the problem is that Nirvana realms do exist, and people know that they can just go to Wyrmrest Accord or Moon Guard and be inundated with Rpers and RP. Another problem is that to some people, such as myself, the RP itself is more important than the tag. It is up to the community - you guys - to make things work. To be friendly, open, welcoming, and warm to everyone. Not to sit back and be douchebags to folks, or to forcibly eject Rpers. Not to make people feel alienated for their character choices, nor to criticize people for choosing to play particular races. What I've noticed that is different between my years on Twisting Nether and my year on Wyrmrest Accord is that on WrA I am not afraid of approaching anyone for RP. On TN, I started to get rather introverted because so many of my characters were blood elves, and 'y r so man e elvus heur?' was done to death. WrA's community is generally warm and welcoming, a little goofy, and there are enough of these nice people that I can tolerate or avoid the dickbags. There's also a huge pool of talented artists who illustrate their RP, and post about their realm on their art galleries... and then their fans roll there and add to the pool of RPers and Rp friendly folks.

---------->Why I Left Twisting Nether:<----------

Read this if you want to hear things that drove an RPer who once fought and argued tooth and nail in favor of Twisting Nether away. Read this if you want to know why I lost faith in Twisting Nether and spent money to transfer my mains to my new home. Read this if you want to know behaviors that hurt TN.

I felt segregated and pushed away by many Horde players, due to most of my characters being blood elves. I felt that much of the RP horde-side was insular, and only between particular groups or friends, or very centered, focused, and biased around their groups. The dreaded word cliques comes to mind. I felt that my character was not considered a valid member of the Horde in any way regardless of what my character did. I was tired of race being an issue IC.

I had been a member of this community for years - and fought and argued in the community's favor - yet people were assholes to me. People were jerks. People were snide. People were sarcastic. People were not warm, welcoming, or kind. I didn't feel comfortable approaching people IC. Does desiring these things make me a lesser human? If so, then I'm glad I left.

It is not weak to want to feel like a valued human being. There's one behind every keyboard. Start treating every stranger you meet like they're a human who matters, and just maybe y'all can turn this realm around.

I have to say, when I first starting rping, I was fearful of approaching people in RP. Horde side curently is excellent, alliance has quality, not numbers.

TN is very welcoming from what I know, and I do know what you're talking about, I went through the same thing.

I put up this thread to see if people thought TN would be better as just an rp server.

Thanks for the above feedback. I do beliee everyone should read that.

Also, Id consider trying TN out again- Its nothing like what has been described above, in its current state.

I felt that much of the RP horde-side was insular, and only between particular groups or friends, or very centered, focused, and biased around their groups. The dreaded word cliques comes to mind.

Funny, these days, Horde side is more open and friendly. Different groups mingle in Roleplay.

I felt that my character was not considered a valid member of the Horde in any way regardless of what my character did. I was tired of race being an issue IC.

Is this IC or OOC? Because you can't really blame a server for what people say in character. If you were getting grief OOC, that makes a bit more sense.

*Grabs Thread and throws back towards topic*

Tn is RP-pvp. Oh, and it seems events are coming back, more regularly at least (Thankyee to the guilds who do it, and Nanori. When my Wolf pack was one, she joined, and now my Wolf pack has more members) I would love more PvP events.

We have to destroy those Alliance pigs. And randomly fighting another Roleplayer whose flagged and then asking them if it was canon is cool. Leads to some fun times out on the road. All of you Cata babies don't know how much fun it was before you could fly everywhere.

I think Pandaria, with the initial "no flying until end game" rule, will bring a bit of open world PvP back. Hopefully, a little RP-PvP too. Come on you guys, let's bring out some Sha!

The grief I received was both IC and OOC. I was told that I was just after ERP because my character was pink with pointy ears. It was implied that my RP obviously had no depth because of my character's race and personality. My character couldn't go anywhere without bad things being spewed at him ICly, and OOC was little better. The 'old Horde' mentality had a lot of strong OOC backing and it left a foul taste in my mouth. I'd been told all of these things in whispers and to my 'face' in vent.

When all of your public, spontaneous, random RP turns into the exact same conversation repeated over and over again - 'Elf, why are you here?' 'I have as much right to be here as you do.' 'WEAKLING PINK SKIN YOU DO NOT FOR I AM STRONGER AND GREEN' 'I have my own strengths.' 'WEAKLING' over and over and over and over... it gets stale, and in my case, it was a huge contributing factor to pushing me away from the realm. I rolled here in Burning Crusade. I left the realm in December 2011, in a guild transfer.

It was one of the hardest, most exhilarating, liberating things I've ever done in this game.

I'm sure nobody could ever think Ugraz would dislike them OOCly, regardless of his IC actions. He's a complete puffball. And I mean that in the best way possible :D