Sign in to follow this  
Nikaa

Exceptional RP Recognition Thread

Lately I feel like our RP community has been really struggling, lately. Many people have left either for other games, or servers, or simple burn out. Although times are tough right now, I really feel like the Twisting Nether Gazette is the glue that holds us all together. It's one of the first places I check anytime I log on. I've met so many incredible people and made a lot of wonderful friends here. It's home. So first off, I want to give a huge THANK YOU to Mortica who has kept this site around for us through thick and thin.

At times it feels like RP has really hit a lull right now- for some more than others. But if every one of you were to look back at all the time you've spent on Twisting Nether, I'm sure there are some really amazing stories that you've seen unfold over the years. I'd really love to see this thread become a place where you can take a moment to give recognition to some of those people who's stories have really stood out to you. It doesn't have to be your favorite RP, or your best friend. It doesn't even have to be something you were personally involved with. Maybe it was just a story you read on Nether Legends that you REALLY enjoyed.

Please take a few minutes and share some of those stories here. Tell us who really amazed you- share the link to the story if you can find it! And share as many as you like! You don't have to pick just one - I certainly won't. Even if you don't have a link to the story or if it only happened in game- just give a summary of the RP. Twisting Nether is full of incredibly creative and imaginative people- and this thread is for them. :)

There are a LOT of stories I've seen and been involved with in the two years I've been playing WoW, and so many of them have really shaped who Nika is today - for better or for worse. But there is one story that comes to mind that really laid down the foundation for everything that's happened for my character in the last year, as well as being an unbelievably fun plotline to be a part of: The Defias Emergence by Creedy.

This plotline started on Nether Legends with a simple poster on the wall in Stormwind, but the story was filled with many twists and turns.. ending with a HUGE reveal at the end. It actually spanned multiple threads which I'll have to piece together over the weekend, but it all began here, and it's very much worth the read. Huge props to Creedy for putting together one of the most fun RP events I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of.

The Defias Emergence

http://wow-tng.org/showthread.php?21431-The-true-threat I don't even have to explain this thread. It's writing is superb, the juxtaposition of Murloc and Human in this wide open world. Whoever King Mrgrl is, I salute thee, and I once again promise the public he is not me. Now to disect the thread. I believe the Murlocs "fish out of water" attitude really embodies what all of us feel in this sad, recession fueled world. It truly speaks with me. I wouldn't call this a masterpiece, I would call this the defining piece of writing of the past century.

And thanks to the other Murlocs and people who joined in. This was pretty fun, and different, while it lasted.

What? I've never even seen 300.

Added this; Agreed, when I become rich I am building a statue to Mortica.

I side with Nika in first thanking Mortica for doing what none of the rest of us want to do and pick Creedy's story line. I didn't even have that much fun with my OWN story line xD

While none of you may remember this, I figure I'll bring it up if not to show off what used to be on the server.

Kor'Kron Vanguard Guild Project

In the short time that it was around, we did a lot of the things that were listed here. Numerous assaults on many Alliance villages, towns and cities. Lots of world PvP, lots of events, lots of RP. 4 months, I think, the idea was around. 1 month of recruitment and planning, 2 months of Glorious Conquest... Followed by a final month of drama and shit-storm. But we'll ignore that in favor of the first 2 months of it being a guild. Something I found amusing was reading through the linked thread, you can physically see the change in attitude of reception. January and February, we were loved and all... Then come late February and March, you can see the moment where someone decided they wanted to destroy the guild. Anyway.

Those two months were probably the best times I had in WoW. We embodied World RP-PvP. I've yet to be in any other guild on any server that comes even close to matching the dedication/immersion that the KKV took. As sad as this is, it only reminds me to look forward. This server was once like this, it can be thus again. We must always work harder.

I never payed super-close to the nether legends, Forum-based RP was never my forte. However, when I think of an exceptional forum RP, I remember the Nameless Event.

For those who weren't around for that, a mysterious figure known only as "The Nameless" began sending out cryptic whispers into the minds of horde and alliance alike. What followed was an incredibly interesting colaboration of the individual experiences of those afflicted by the nameless's murmurings. Different styles or writing, different character's interpretations of the event, all came together quite nicely. The event only lasted a week or so, and while some individuals triumphed over thier own personal demons, others succumbed to them.

We see. We rejoice. We weep. -- The initial thread

The Stories We Tell -- The character's responses and experiences

We Who Have Been Broken -- The conclusion thread

I'm on a phone, so my posting will be less glorious than usual.

However, I have to say I have seen a lot of amazing work on these forums over the years. I could go on and on about times long since passed. Days where I saw amazing rpers and guilds that have come and gone, however... I belive that would not be very productive. Most of us have moved on since then, but gems such as Duroxas, Vindi, and others still remain. One that Massively sticks out in my head however, someone I feel that I've really gotten to know, that love reading and I feel certainly gives me a run for my money with a portryal of a villain would be Svetlaena. Though I'm taking my sweet ass time with my share of our collaboration (So sorry for that Svet) thanks to some things that keep coming up, I must say it is a pleas7re and an honor. I may even say she's a better writer than myself, really.

And for now... I will end my rambling. Until next time I have more sweet words for my lovely community! Ta-ta~

Hurp. *trips into TNG from another dimension*

I would of course call out Lysimachus for providing me with the most delicious varieties of RP throughout the years, but I think that's cheating.

I remember reading this story by Nymare and Qabian a while back and being just transfixed by their wordsmithing: The Blood of the Sun

And I can't find the thread (grah!) but I remember Cabriel addressing the topic of crystals with a level of detail that impressed me, a student of materials science.

And then there's this story by Bir, one of my first RP contacts when I had absolutely no idea what was doing (and probably handled several situations quite poorly). This was the first thread to really distract me at work, and I must say I was also quite thrilled to make a tiny cameo in someone else's story. Watch Your Back, Stranger

Geebs. Lys alerts me to Cessily's "ohelloagain" post and now I'm all bursting with nostalgia. >:[

Damn you Uri! Every time I see his name I wanna cry! *Shake fist!*

I have to say, the people I have enjoyed most more recently here either fighting against or fighting with have been these people:

Duroxas, Svetlaena, and Selash (You meanie-faced baddies you! Always coming up with something sinister and managing to catch my toons on their worst days possible. Extremely creative with their plots keeping it mixed up and even willing to admit defeat to keep stories more interesting and fights rarely one-sided to create a more entertaining playing field!)

Aliss and Vaedoras (These started out as foes and became friends.. No idea how that happened, but the journey to that point wasn't just a flick of the switch, and sometimes the thin line that is their friendship still frays making rp with them always a wonderful guessing game.)

Settana, Fennore, and Moonjade. (My character sought to use you as tools and then toss you aside, some of you caught on, others didn't but still reacted phenomenally when they found out, not just forgiving and forgetting, but retaining that more natural reaction any person would have that would make an rp a bit more emotionally realistic, causing strife where it was needed, and protection where it would most help my characters develop.)

Some of these guys do not get nearly as much credit as they deserve, or are over looked. Next time you see them ICly, take pause and consider interacting with them, you'll be surprised just how amazing they are at role playing and making the rp intriguing for both parties.

I've several other names floating around in my head both from the past and present (Diomades/Unulu, Irithel/Iribelle, Lythas, Kovan, Xenaken, ect), but that list is so long and I'm not sure many people would recognize them, and it's hard to recall names at this point but more so grand rp moments shared with them when I played Akulazeel. <3