Kromthal

Dragons! Flee!

So last night, I was bored, and a question bothered me. If someone WERE to roleplay a dragon, how would they? So, I searched it up, looked at these posts on wow forums, and gathered some thoughts my own.

So I typed up a VERY large reply- ( by my standards, really it's only a small suggestion compared to some posts on this.)

Then I looked at the last posts date - 2010. I said some words unspeakable.

So I thought I must just share this with you guys. Really, if you actually think its good... Well cool. But, it's a long post and I just want to hit the submit button. Don't saying this can't be done. I know. I'd you think it can be done... I mean, hell, let me know. But, anyway.

Typed on an IPad- may be a wee typos and punctuation malfunctions.

Here are my thoughts. And recommendations.

If any of you have watched the legendary rogue, the black dragon (pure) states they have a mortal form to meddle with mortal affairs.

If you are looking to roleplay a dragon, I'd assume you want to be turning into one, for otherwise, what's the point in roleplaying one.

So- Vial of the sands, or that staff which can make you a blue dragon.

Dragon form use- Make a group/cult which follows, praises, and bows down to your dragon. So others can see you as a dragon.

- Have a high, secretive place to RP.

- Mortal form should be used to either observe the world, meddle with the 'mortals',- for fun, or to make things go your way.

- Use dragon form in front of everyone else? Don't, unless it's an RP plot which will still keep most others from icky having knowledge of you being a dragon.

- To actually have more fun, find a bunch of other Roleplayers with the same dragon form as you, and make a dragon flight. More dragon rping for you, in that case.

- If you really, really, want to be a dragon in front of everyone? Make it part of an rp plot. Stay in the dragon form during the rp plot. DO NOT be seen changing forms. You have to be known as two different beings, to show off your dragon form. Otherwise your rping is going to be ... Only in plots, and with your followers if you have any.

Also.... Level 85. This may seem like meta gaming, but to be a dragon, you need some sexy armor. I'll also recommend a race similar to what the aspects use- blood elves, humans and Draenei maybe. Draenei I'd recommend for those who have blue dragons only. Alexstraza is red because she is a red dragon. If you do be a dranei, is recommend female. They can have horns (I think) and really if you have the blue dragon form you can do quite well rping a blue dragon female as a female Draenei.

All in all... Your very limited. I'd recommend a fairly big rp server, for more plots and this that.

Also... I'd consider building a reputation in the rp server first. More people will accept you and trust you with such great responsibility.

Last thing: Get the thumbs up from every... Guild in the realm, and probably more then 80-90% of the players, the thumbs up to do this.

[/Quote]

So... Yah...

In my eyes Dragon Roleplay is a huge no-no.

Keep in consideration that most remaining dragons are major lore characters and that throwing one's self into the mix, well, in my opinion that just isn't right. Plus, you don't typically think a dragon would have any business in Stormwind; even if they were just grocery shopping. Atop of that all it would raise so much hype of them being there..

What Merriana said. The methods described here make for a good Theoretical, but it isn't something you would devote a character to. Maybe for a huge RP plot, as you said, but nothing beyond that. Most dragons that are thoroughly involved with mortal affairs have a greater motive in doing so, like Onyxia. It wouldn't be Practical to RP a dragon who goes to the Wyvern's Tail(or Blue Recluse) every night. It raises too many questions, both ooc and ic.

The only thing that would make RPing a dragon even remotely feasible is if you were to use vial of the sands to Rp a typical dragon mount.. which could be an interesting twist. Sort of like how Joe made a bear druid once and went around RPing as someone's hunter pet. (Hilarious.)

But to me, that would me the dragon was not any more intelligent than your average horse. NO communication. Only able to follow extremely simple commands.. no running around and attacking people. No being able to turn into a human, or use any magic. Just a dumb mount. Which wouldn't be much fun.

I've heard jokes about people trying to RP dragons but never thought anyone was actually serious.. that sort of thing gets you laughed off a server, I think... although you might have some luck doing this on Moonguard.

I wasnt expecting anything public. Youd never be aloud to do something that weird and pointless. But, if you had your own little ones. Which were sone privately. Would there be any problem with that. An rp plot maybe. Just possibly but only once like, every half year you pop up. But private RP? No problemo?

A lot of people mention the Vial of the Sands as a replacement "Dragon form" if someone was going to attempt to RP a dragon. Now, personally, I've never been a fan of this idea; Is asking other players to imagine that you arent a stone drake and are actually a <color> drake any different that having a <color> drake mount and asking players to pretend you arent riding it? The vial of the sands is not a feasable replacement for a dragon form, its a magical/alchemical concoction that allows the drinker to take on the form of a stone drake. That's how I've always done it at least. (Now, if someone had the dragonwrath staff and -REEEALLY- wanted to RP a blue dragon, I think that could work)

As for dragon RP itself? Like a lot of other more frowned-upon RPs, ( Marysue things like Vampires and whathaveyou). It can be done -if done well-. If you're going to go ahead and RP a dragon, you are not going to want to put it on your TRP "this character is a dragon", or be using a dragon-naming suffix in your TRP ("Duroxagos" for example). Dragons playing around in mortal affairs are going to be exrtremely concerned about not drawing attention to themselves, so youd want to go out of the way to -not- expose yourself as a dragon. Also, keep in mind that there are -no more black dragons- since the last few have been canonicly wiped out a'la the Fangs of the Father quests.

Basically, unless you're willing to be subtle about it, don't do dragon RP.

I've seen worse on this server

Like anime plotlines with demon babies or people turning from elf to human or escaping Maximum security or (being Altherion) or riding a unicorn through space and attacking a demon (yes it's happened)

RP what makes you happy as long as the server is fine with it, good luck to you

I wrote this for a thread by someone who wanted to do it. I personally, aint overly interested. But I thougt it might be good to give any who may a good idea.

I don't get why bad RP is so frowned upon. Who cares?

Someone plays a fantasy RPG and wants to fantasise that they are a dragon. *shrug* ok.

I dunno, a lot of the lore purists get a bit anal retentive about the serious business of arpees as far as I'm concerned.

If someone WERE to roleplay a dragon, how would they?

They don't.

I don't get why bad RP is so frowned upon. Who cares?

Someone plays a fantasy RPG and wants to fantasise that they are a dragon. *shrug* ok.

I dunno, a lot of the lore purists get a bit anal retentive about the serious business of arpees as far as I'm concerned

Because Dragons, by their very nature, are inherently more powerful than mortals. This is the entire point of people not RPing things like Time-traveling wizards, Robots, Half-Elves, Liches, any manner of mythological humanoid beast, including dragons, or anything other than the Humanoid races currently playable. By roleplaying as a Dragon you are giving yourself more power than the common Roleplayer, and most people see that as an auto "I'm better than you because I'm a Dargon!" sort of thing. You are making yourself more important than everybody else for no other reason than because you chose to be a Dragon. Not to mention the whole "mechanics" issue, because this IS a game, not just a "story" with no tangible features to go along without outside of a book.

Because Dragons, by their very nature, are inherently more powerful than mortals. This is the entire point of people not RPing things like Time-traveling wizards, Robots, Half-Elves, Liches, any manner of mythological humanoid beast, including dragons, or anything other than the Humanoid races currently playable. By roleplaying as a Dragon you are giving yourself more power than the common Roleplayer, and most people see that as an auto "I'm better than you because I'm a Dargon!" sort of thing. You are making yourself more important than everybody else for no other reason than because you chose to be a Dragon. Not to mention the whole "mechanics" issue, because this IS a game, not just a "story" with no tangible features to go along without outside of a book.

This is a great argument against the inclusion of playable dragons (or whatever else) as a game mechanic. But in terms of RP, I have to insist 'who cares?'. It's just RP. In fact, the extant system of balanced game mechanics actually enforces the basic premise that no matter what you RP as, whose child of legacy you claim- you aren't actually better than anyone else. If you don't want to be embarassed, then you need an in character explanation for this. If you don't care, then neither do I, but I han't be RPing with you.

If you have a plausible explanation as to why you don't use any enhanced powers to solve problems faced by your character, or why you are about as vulnerable as everyone else, then I can't see what the issue is. I'd go a step further and say, even if someone insists they are the vanquisher of Deathwing who can one-hit faction leaders with their mind; so what? To me, that's just a dumb character, not some kind of crime to be ostracised and purged from the server. Especially when we are in want of Rpers.

I advocate letting people RPing how they please and not giving them a hard time for it; rewarding the RP one respects with participation, and disregarding that which comes off as silly or poorly conceived.

But in terms of RP, I have to insist 'who cares?'

And thus the result of the current RP community.

I lack the energy to repeat the same things I just did one post back.

And thus the result of the current RP community.

I lack the energy to repeat the same things I just did one post back.

To the contrary. On the allianceside especially the community is suffering the disease of cliquey jerkass RP elitism, the complete opposite of what you're saying. I know personally of four people who have either faction or server changed because of the downright hostility and passive aggression to be found in /rp.

If people were perhaps to be a little more relaxed, more tolerant, and less douchey, maybe new RPers might take root, grow and improve.

I laugh at the suggestion that the problem with the current community is that it is overflowing with bad RP.

Makes no sense considering Alliance RP has been proliferated with this RP garbage for at least a year now.

It's something else buddy. Something like...perhaps...I don't know...possibly...the fact that its the end of an expansion but before the beginning of the next one, and less people are playing. You know, the same thing that has happened 3 times already in WoW's life cycle? And the fact that people are bored and wanting to try new things, hence why the previously "almost RP devoid" Hordeside (Something people were complaining about months ago) is now reinvigorated and the Alliance side is lacking. It's almost like it's a pattern!

I applaud the creativity.

Dragons are good plot devices for stories. While having a full-fledged Player-Character take on the role of the dragon is typically frowned upon, I have personally played with someone on Cenarion Circle who did it. It was very subtle and I only found out after the fact. While I would never do it myself... if I found myself having to - I would do it like he did.

In the old world of chat RP, it would be simple to create a name and flesh out a story for a character who was temporary, but that is pretty difficult in an MMO. To make a believable powerful character, like you said, it has to be 85. Someone who is putting enough effort into a character to get there typically does not want to throw it away when it is done. So, the suspense of disbelief is pretty high. While someone could spend about $25 to change the name (or faction), I doubt you will find many who would be willing to do that without it involving some weird blood elf demon fucking fetish (in which the majority of them have already moved from Twisting Nether to Moonguard or Wyrmrest).

Keep up the idea juices.

EDIT: I think I had a point somewhere in the above text, but lost it while watching my Netflix'ed Star Trek. Pretend it was creative and witty and continue on!

Oh yeah, Alliance is just bursting at the seams with RP. If only it wasn't bad.

The logical thing to do would be to smother and harass new players to make sure they aren't bad, seeing as you have so much RP as it is, and really only need to improve the standard.

. <---- There was the point. You missed it.

seeing as you have so much RP as it is

Ouch, my pride. You have invalidated me by this half sentence! *runs off crying*

I posted prior to you editing/extending your post.

To address it, I'd direct you to WrA where you'll see a large and vibrant community of RPers, some admittedly 'bad', but plenty not. The biggest difference I noticed myself? People there were nice. Even lore-sensible heavy RP guilds were friendly about being so.

But yeah, you could just throw your hands up and blame the product cycle. I actually think that the community has a bit more control than that. Well I know this, because as I said, I've personally encountered several people chased off Alliance side because of their ugly RP scene. Not because it was quiet, or in a lull, or at the end of a product cycle; because people were pricks.

Maybe, if we're tolerant of new people, of RP that isn't to our taste, people wouldn't feel so unwelcome.

'tis true, I've been an Alth groupie since day one.

Come to think of it, how relevant. You were nice and welcoming to me when I was new and still undecided if TN was the server I'd play on.

I applaud the creativity.

Dragons are good plot devices for stories. While having a full-fledged Player-Character take on the role of the dragon is typically frowned upon, I have personally played with someone on Cenarion Circle who did it. It was very subtle and I only found out after the fact. While I would never do it myself... if I found myself having to - I would do it like he did.

In the old world of chat RP, it would be simple to create a name and flesh out a story for a character who was temporary, but that is pretty difficult in an MMO. To make a believable powerful character, like you said, it has to be 85. Someone who is putting enough effort into a character to get there typically does not want to throw it away when it is done. So, the suspense of disbelief is pretty high. While someone could spend about $25 to change the name (or faction), I doubt you will find many who would be willing to do that without it involving some weird blood elf demon fucking fetish (in which the majority of them have already moved from Twisting Nether to Moonguard or Wyrmrest).

Keep up the idea juices.

EDIT: I think I had a point somewhere in the above text, but lost it while watching my Netflix'ed Star Trek. Pretend it was creative and witty and continue on!

I find myself surprised to be agreeing with you good man of the Grim! But most of what you've said, I definitely relate to. I actually found out we had an RPer in the Dusk Watch for nearly half a year who RPed with about half the active members of the guild at the time, and only in the past couple weeks did I find out his toon is actually supposed to be a Green Dragon.

Shocking, but I still am fully of the opinion that he's an excellent and advanced Roleplayer.

In the end, it's a fantasy game AND it's a multiplayer game. You can do whatever you want with your game time, but if you piss off people, you will find yourself playing this multiplayer game alone. Which is kinda just a waste of 15 bucks.

One of my main problems with WoW is how much the lore changes without me even realizing it :( I find myself at a point where trying to crack down on every lore-breaker under the sun just isn't plausible. So I settle for avoiding those Roleplayers who like to godmode. It's not failed me yet.

As for the idea that the current Alliance Community is douchey and unwelcoming, I don't really know where you're coming from Slagworth. I suppose I myself might be contributing to that idea, mainly because I'm just tired of trying. I started out the expac working hard to generate Roleplay and PvP, but at this point I don't want to try anymore. And I feel that can infact be tied back into the post expansion lull.

I guess my point here is that if you don't like what someone is doing with their fifteen bucks a month, you can ignore them pretty easily.

Okay just to let y'all know the dragons hate the alliance and

horde squabbles do lets take that to some in game RPPvP event.

Anyway, I read abovr about dragons bring more powerful beings and all that dandy.

The one reason I might want a dragon, is for Tyrilon to kill it.

For a while now I have been looking for a way to show his fearless and valorous personality...

Just saying, if someone were to roleplay a dragon, fair enough they're more powerful, but in the end, Azeroth is full to the brim with heroes, who-alone oor eith a demolition squad- will come up a best the living sh*t out if anything, and may find a dragon, 'No challenge at all'

I mean, after all, your not going to be able to really meta game eith your dragon form...

And also, seeing the tight security and all that, I doubt we'd find someone with even a vial of sands whos not experienced enough a roleplayer to godmod.