Sign in to follow this  
Joewaldren

ELVES!

Are there any characters within the lore who know of just how the High/Blood Elves and Night Elves are related? If so, could this be common knowledge? Elves tend to be intelligent creatures and I assume that a sit down discussing histories could very well lead to the findings, but I'm not sure if it's ever been stated as IC knowledge. The evolution from trolls however would just be insulting and never accepted by any sophisticated Elf-about-tree.

I was under the impression that High Elves were an off shoot of Night Elves who used magic. They got a bit pompous and greedy, ended up using the Sunwell a bit too much, and in the end when that went became the Blood Elves(if you care for an extremely truncated/bare bones version of the story)

Well in the Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne campaigns there are a few people who outright mention that both High/Blood Elves and Naga come from the Night Elves. Maiev specifically calls them both "Bastard races," Kael'thas knows about it, as well as Lady Vashj.

I'm fairly certain that it is basic common knowledge. There's a reason why there is open hostility between High Elves and Night Elves, even if they are both in the same faction, and even if it has eased a bit.

I'm not certain if you were asking what the actual evolution chain was, but here it is:

Trolls (Progenitor race) ---> Night Elves ----> High Elves (Leaving of Elune + Well of Eternity explosion + Night Elves banning Arcane magic + Sunwell ) ----> Blood Elves (Sunwell deprivation)*

Trolls (Progenitor race) ---> Night Elves ----> Naga (Old God Influence)

At this point, with the Sunwell reignited, there are little, if any, physiological differences between High Elves and Blood Elves (Assuming they did not mutate into Felblood Elves or Wretched) now and it is purely factional based.

*Not all High Elves "became"/joined the Blood Elf faction when the Sunwell was corrupted and subsequently destroyed by Arthas/Kael'thas respectively. Some were able to simply continue living on through meditation and remained within the Alliance.

The Sunstriders disagreed with the Highborne and Night Elves, and left Kalimndor after the fall of the well of eternity. They landed in Lordaeron, and traveled to Quel'Thalas. They used the first well's water to bring about a new Sunwell (The Third Well of it's kind, it went Well of Eternity, The World Tree, then Sunwell). This is common knowledge.

Enjoy. http://www.wowpedia.org/Dath%27Remar

Common Knowledge for anyone familiar with WoW lore, yes. Common Knowledge for yer average feller walking the streets of Darnassus or Silvermoon? That is what I am unsure of. The elves have only been re-united for ~25 years. The High elves and Night Elves were separated for several thousand years.

Common Knowledge for anyone familiar with WoW lore, yes. Common Knowledge for yer average feller walking the streets of Darnassus or Silvermoon? That is what I am unsure of. The elves have only been re-united for ~25 years. The High elves and Night Elves were separated for several thousand years.

Yep, blood elf starting quests have you go read a monument to Dath'remar, extolling his deeds. So I guess that would place it as basic elf history.

A lot of Night Elves, on the other hand, were probably alive when it all happened.

As for the other races- no I don't think it'd be 'common knowledge'. Not that it's a secret. More that it is above the interest of common people. Making an analogy to RL, would you say that it is common knowledge that 99% of Japanese blood, culture, and philosophy is a direct offshoot from China? I would say 'sorta'. The Japanese know it but don't like to talk about it, the Chinese know it but often neglect to mention because it seems obvious to them, in the west we often assume japanese archetypes are from Japan, but despite all this, the facts are there for those who seek to review them.

Similarly, I would guess a Stormwind labourer not to give a damn- but nod when he hears the theory that the pointy-ears are all related. I would expect those in Silvermoon to know the fact that they are descended from Night Elves, but to think of it as a very old detail- whilst stressing the great many things that makes Blood/High Elf society and culture so distinct (and superior).

In Darnassus I would expect the average opinion to be condescending. Acknowledgement that the High Elves did indeed depart Kalimdor as Kal'dorei, but further going to disown their misguided ways that took them to where they are (whilst at the same time claiming credit for their arcane achievements)- ultimately passing them off as ungrateful arrogant bastard runaways who owe what merit their society has to the Kal'dorei.