Morgrond

A new major RP guild - Looking for ideas

Recently, a post was made here about improving our server's RP. One of these ideas was to have guilds (big guilds) of which were more than just military RP. By "big guilds" we mean guild of a large scale such as the Seventy Third or the Dusk Watch. This thread is where you can post your ideas for a what this guild may be about, and how we can make it as successful as the previously mentioned guilds.

Note: I ask again, for the sake of everyone, that you do NOT suggest an ERP guild. This is a stupid thing to say and will be ignored.

Here is the unfortunate thing about this thread:

With the guild leveling system that has been established it makes it very difficult for new guilds to grow and prosper succesfully. People don't want to leave their guilds for the perks and it is rather hard to be in a guild that is perkless. The previously mentioned guilds have been active for YEARS thus what is making them successful as well, they have the dedicated members and they have the story lines.

You are definitely right there. It is nigh on impossible to establish a good rp guild with perks and all. Sadly this limits us yet again to how we can deal with the lack of rp.

Here is a question for you though. Why do you need to be in a new fresh guild to RP? If you are not in an RP guild as it stands currently, you can easily introduce your character to some of the characters who are in guilds that you recognize as RP guilds. That way your toon could make friendships and alliances with these RP-guilded people, which in turn may get you invited along to some of their storylines. Or you could just join one of the well-established RP guilds if you HAVE to have that guild tag. Just my two cents.

Guild perks are easy to get. Blizzard made them easier (i.e. increased the amount of experience earned), so it is far more streamlined than when the guild experience system was first incorporated.

"Nobody wants to start with a new guild" is an inaccurate statement. While it is not false, a good leadership group and a decent premise can attract individuals to look to the guild levels (and guild achievements) as a goal to achieve.

Though, Nanori is correct... why put up the man hours and elbow grease into creating something from the ground up when there are already established groups just looking for that one charismatic and motivated individual to take them through the Cataclysm lull to the Mists of Pandaria future? While a fresh start can be easy enough... all the effort in creating the new could just as easily be invested in fixing the old - though that is more opinion than fact.

From the names you put up there, I'm presuming you're going for an Alliance guild. Keep it up! I look forward to seeing some progress!

Hi Mort.

We spoke about this a little last night, and I do stand by what I said in the previous thread about there being a slight...lack of diversity when it comes to the current RP guild options on this server. However, I agree with the others that state that simply wanting there to be more options and wanting out of the the gate to establish a "new big RP guild" isn't enough.

There are some significant hurdles to establishing a guild of any sort. The main one I see here, before even getting to the issues of running something like this, is the population problem. You want a big guild, yes...but where are all of these new RPers coming from? We discussed some ways to try and attract RPers to the server last night, some more plausible than others...but it wouldn't be an immediate or overnight fix. And, even if we could get some new blood -- how do we make them feel welcome? How do we keep them here?

Creating a guild, especially an RP guild, needs to be an organic process. What are the IC reasons for the new guild? What niche will it fill? Are there characters to support this new guild/idea? (Sadly, look at the Hand of Argus. Fun idea...but with all of...what, five active Spacegoat RPers, two of whom aren't very connected to their people, on the server -- it couldn't be supported!) Will you be storyline based (and if so, can you get others in the community involved if you so desire?) or just a general social catch-all. If the latter, what is the uniting thread that keeps the guild together?

Please understand that I'm not trying to discourage you from trying -- I just want to try and drive home some of the things anyone is going to face when trying to get something like this off the ground... and I've been there. For a little background, I've been helping to run various guilds / RP organizations on different platforms & sites for close to fifteen years now. ( Yikes!!) Most recently (Not counting the 73rd just yet - they've only just been crazy enough to let me help out) it was helping to run a small off-shoot of a larger RP guild on my old server. I've run / helped with very successful guilds elsewhere before -- but co-running a WoW guild was a whole new level of involvement.

Organizing raids / making sure everyone was prepared for the week, keeping storylines on track and sorted (as well as prodding them forward when needed), helping the GM run meetings. Hell, even just keeping the Gbank clear of peacebloom, copper bars, spice bread, and ANYTHING "of the whale" was a monumental task. Now, add on the inevitable squabbles (even the closest groups have these,) relations with other guilds on the server, considerations and criteria for adding new members...and you're beginning to see why a lot of people would shy away. Did I mention we were a guild of 30-35 characters at most? Yeah.

Simply wanting something isn't always enough. Being proactive, understanding your community, and maybe even just waiting for the right time can help. I'm not sure the slump between expansions (especially Cata. The Wrath slump, even as long as it lasted...didn't seem this bad at ALL) would be the best time. Wait until we get closer to Pandaland. See how people get charged up for the pre-MoP events and people start coming back. :)

( ...wow that ended up way longer than I intended. -.- )

Randomly strolled in here with my fancy new top hat.

To the people going; lawl y u wan guild bro? I say this! Perhaps he does not wish to be a part of the same old same old? A new guild that isn't just Military or just Mercenaries?

I support new guilds! I remember, this one time, I helped make a new guild, and that went well. (People who know it will know, others won't get it) Keep in mind, a guild with a few active Roleplayers is better than a huge guild with few good players/roleplayers.

If you require an alt to be thrown in there for sigs, count me in! >:o

Also, more of a random thought, I think the GM should be in charge of the guilds story and directions, after all, it would vastly improve the guild if the leader was 100% behind a storyline.

I'm sure one or two panda guilds will indeed crop up. There were a few worgen and goblin guilds as well. None of them really survived past the first couple patches though.

Really though, what it comes down to is the fact that I don't see a new major RP guild surviving when all the old major RP guilds have been either dying, or forcibly moving towards Light RP for most of the expansion.

It's sad, but factual.

I'm sure one or two panda guilds will indeed crop up. There were a few worgen and goblin guilds as well. None of them really survived past the first couple patches though.

Really though, what it comes down to is the fact that I don't see a new major RP guild surviving when all the old major RP guilds have been either dying, or forcibly moving towards Light RP for most of the expansion.

It's sad, but factual.

Not the Grim. Still heavy RP, still active, still strong. If they can do it, others can too.

The same could be said for the Watch, which I wasn't including when I said heavy RP guilds were going light. But from what I can tell, the Grim and the Watch are two long lasting guilds who have survived many dips and rises of both themselves and the server.

And yes, I know the Grim has been around longer. Still, for this server, the Watch's survivial is fairly good.

The only differences that the Grim and the Watch have with every other Heavy RP guild that's tried to rise in the past two expansions are fairly simple. The Grim and the Watch have broad RP bases. Instead of being "We're all evil and want to destroy this one important thing" Or "We're all light users" or "We're all one race, the other races can go suck it", it instead comes down to the fact that the Grim are Pro-Horde, and the Watch is Pro-Alliance. That's all the two guilds have ever needed to attract members from their faction.

The other difference is the simple fact that with guild leveling, starting a guild in this atmosphere is almost impossible. You can preach about how guild perks don't matter all day long, but you won't find nearly enough people who agree with you enough to leave their lvl 25 guild and join your lvl 1. Both the Grim and the Watch had a stable amount of people dedicated to the guild when Cata hit, and leveling was not too much of a hassle for us.

Looking through all this..ill have to say, making a new guild is nigh pointless, until we have better rp. I mean, there is just a lack of Rpers on this server. To have good, big rp guilds there will need to be few. Like at max 5 per side. Also, I believe one reason the grim beats the watch is, I'm not sure I'm right saying, but doesn't the watch have like a level requirement of 60, instead of something low like 10? I'm not sure.