Chikt

Mass Effect 3 (Spoilers contained after Post #30)

I had fun throughout the whole game. The story at the end just went to shit. Then people were so mad they forgot they played an entire game, and not just a 2 minute conversation.

The "best" ending is all a matter of perspective. Which is one of the things I like about the ending. Again before incoming rage insanity I still think the ending could and should have been done better. It is okay to like parts of it people.

I'm still with ya, man.

I had fun throughout the whole game. The story at the end just went to shit. Then people were so mad they forgot they played an entire game, and not just a 2 minute conversation.

Aye, I don't think the ending was the best it could have been, and I can definitely see why people have problems with it, but I was ok with it enough that it didn't make me forget the 49 hours and 50 minutes of the rest of it that was 100% awesome.

I was gonna make a witty analogy about Bioware's fans and Bioware, and Geth and the reapers, but then I gave up. Bioware knows how high we hold their regard. If they fail us again, it'll be bad.

I'm sure the dates for the DLC are totally necessary. So when other people buy their game a little from now, they have to pay for it?

Again, classy EA. Classy.

Calling it now, many people are going to complain for the original ending back after the new one is released.

.Calling it now, many people are going to complain for the original ending back after the new one is released.

People are fundamentally as a whole very very stupid. So this is basically a lock to happen and even more fan rage come out of it. Personally I am sick of all the whiny EA brats. You don't like their games, then grow up and stop buying them.

PAX East Panel.

There are a few videos out there, I believe, but this is the one I found... so here you go!

I've yet to watch the other parts (I believe there are 4), so I share the link, but not the details.

Bioware Press Release (.pdf file)

Angry Joe Video (if you are into him)

I've tried to find a better video of the PAX Panel, but so far... the above one is all I got!

EDIT: Link to BSN. This is a C&P from the "PR guy" who has been putting out some interesting posts. I guess one of his previous posts was locked, though I'm going by what is said here and not what I actually saw. It's a guy on the internet, so take it for what its worth... but his spelling and grammar is nice enough that, if he is wrong, at least he put effort into it! (or her, if you want to be a prick about it.)

DOUBLE EDIT: Feedback. Blair Herter received a lot of cred from his mediation of this topic; unlike his wife and male co-worker! Though the "Devil's Advocate" comment made me annoyed. I hate that term and the people who use it. I shake my fist at you! Though I have written this about 15 minutes in.

Angry Joe Video (if you are into him)

Anyone who has taste likes Angry Joe. Good god watch the man's Dragon Age 2 review I tell ya! That said he is still being a whiny biotch on the ME3/internet poll that proves people are really stupid thing. But then that is his job as a game "journalist".

I'm sure the dates for the DLC are totally necessary. So when other people buy their game a little from now, they have to pay for it?

Again, classy EA. Classy.

Calling it now, many people are going to complain for the original ending back after the new one is released.

Wonder if the dates means after those dates it's bundled into the basic game like when you buy some of the DA versions on steam you get a pack with all the DLC with them.

Video Link.

It's 39 minutes, so be warned.

I also think that Bioware should stop selling stupid clothes and make full-body pillows of Wrex. Let's give what the people want. Unless that hurts your artistic integrity... bitches.

Guy also sounds pretty familiar. I think he did another video somewhere, but I've watched many. Usually with ice cream and nerd tears.

EDIT: This also has Manus' and Necroxis' most favorite song.

It's what happens when you're indoctrinated, Karkarov. Praise be to the Star Child and his infallibility!

More links:

Link. Here is a January article with Mac Walters (head writer). Hindsight in effect, but there you go.

Link. BBB (or a worker there) seems to agree Bioware marketing screwed the pooch. While the Kotaku writer isn't what I call a stellar writer (still no idea why I keep going to that fucking site), here's the blog in conversation.

I thought the marketing was pretty sexy for ME3 (we got fancy commercials). It was far better than the fucking slop we received for ME2 (G4/IGN had the frank and beans fully in their mouths), but it just shows that, among all the other things surrounding this game, something went wrong and it went almost as wrong as it could get.

EDIT: Link from Escapist for the BBB thing. Way better written than Kotaku.

DOUBLE EDIT: Feedback. Blair Herter received a lot of cred from his mediation of this topic; unlike his wife and male co-worker! Though the "Devil's Advocate" comment made me annoyed. I hate that term and the people who use it. I shake my fist at you! Though I have written this about 15 minutes in.

I think the guy (who liked the ending) makes a very, very good point regarding player feedback versus "professional" feedback, especially with regards to developing games around players. I also really appreciated his argument against "shooting for the middle" in response to the chick's argument of "Trying to develop for the largest possible audience." I haven't played the actual ending myself, but I felt as if his POV was more...I don't know, organic? More organic than hers?

It felt like the chick against the ending simply searched the interwebz for all the criticisms and decided to just read them off instead of articulating them in her words. I haven't taken any position outside of "Lawls, all these people freaking out is hilarious and its funny to watch" on the ending, and as someone who probably won't play ME3 until the price is reduced, and not knowing the actual ending outside of what is discussed in the context of talking about it (IE: Starchild, ectect), I am more inclined to listen to the guy who is in favor of it simply because of his articulation, even if my opinion completely changes because of playing the entire game through. I feel like he simply out argued her, by far.

Or maybe I don't find the negative point of view that interesting anymore because of the crying, even if their criticisms are legitimate (Which, in many respects, I think they are if the things they are saying are true).

I do think he nailed her on her whole point about "wanting choices" and then her complaining about the "best" ending too.

Finally, before this post becomes too long, I wholeheartedly agree with the guy who was largely absent in the debate regarding the whole "If you enjoyed the trilogy but disliked the ending, then you didn't really waste 200 bucks" point he made.

Also: is that chick his wife? I always liked Blair Herter (Or however you spell his last name), so good for him.

Regardless, it was another interesting exchange of ideas. Thanks for posting it, Abric, I usually DVR X-Play and I was disappointed with their lack of coverage outside of their circle jerk review of it naming it amazing. I keep forgetting about the Feedback online.

Well then what were you referring to with his wife and male co-worker? Adam Sessler? Was there some drama or something?

We are talking about the ME3 ending there is obviously going to be drama, lots and lots and lots of drama. I feel like TNT needs to make a made for TV special about it.

Adam Sessler is just siding with Bioware and the "artistic integrity" thing. He and Chobot were also part of the ME2 marketing campaign, where they essentially latched their mouths onto the teet of Bioware. Watching them is a little... creepy? Mass Effect 3 gave you a lot of story and character development, but the way they were talking about it... it sounded like we were in a sandbox game. They just took it a little too far, as the marketing for the Mass Effect 3 game is currently being ridiculed about.

Add in the fact that Chobot is in the game itself - it just seems a little weird. I like Chobot (don't tell Thalevia), but she typically crosses the line between professional and amateur a little too much for me to take her opinion at anything other than face value. Sessler is on the other side of that spectrum - he's a little too professional and dry and seems to have lost the passion of a gamer and is just a suit in hiding.

Adam Sessler is just siding with Bioware and the "artistic integrity" thing. He and Chobot were also part of the ME2 marketing campaign, where they essentially latched their mouths onto the teet of Bioware. Watching them is a little... creepy? Mass Effect 3 gave you a lot of story and character development, but the way they were talking about it... it sounded like we were in a sandbox game. They just took it a little too far, as the marketing for the Mass Effect 3 game is currently being ridiculed about.

Add in the fact that Chobot is in the game itself - it just seems a little weird. I like Chobot (don't tell Thalevia), but she typically crosses the line between professional and amateur a little too much for me to take her opinion at anything other than face value. Sessler is on the other side of that spectrum - he's a little too professional and dry and seems to have lost the passion of a gamer and is just a suit in hiding.

Sessler is strange for me. Sometimes I feel like he's just another "professional" reviewer, but then he just totally destroyed Kingdoms of Amalaur in his review, something both "professional" reviewers and gamers pretty much gave rave ratings.

Link.

This is about the XBox 360, but this and the user comments (some poor Nintendo fan boy is getting torn apart) made me think about Mass Effect 3. Thinking about Mass Effect 3 also made me think about the new XBL format.

For a one year subscription (Gold membership) I pay $59.99, a price that was ten dollars cheaper two years ago. The increase in price was due to them wanting to give me better services for my money. Yet, two years later, I have not received any real value to my membership I didn't have two years ago. I also have advertising on all pages of my dashboard, typically in boxes (or frames) that are larger than anything else. In addition, XBL injects games and demos into my games library that I know, for a fact, I did not download. In addition, the game market does not seem to be the primary focus, as the button to access it is not as pronounced as the advertisement. Big deal? Maybe... since buying games is one of the reasons why XBL was created.

What does this have to do with Mass Effect 3?

Simply put... the game industry seems to think I'm fucking stupid. Instead of speaking to me as a paying customer (or fellow gamer), they are treating me like some idiot. Why is it when I give you my money for a product, you are attempting to continue to sell me more product? We aren't in the grocery store business and you aren't the movie industry... so why are you starting to act like it? What separates the game industry from the rest of the entertainment market is that you are providing me interactive media that is meant to engage me in my chosen style (shooting stuff, puzzle games, story content, etc.). Your product is a connection to your customer that is unparalleled - yet you are taking notes from other industries who would literally kill to do what you are doing.

What Bioware did with ME3 was insulting. Beyond the poor ending, they fed us some bullshit $10 Day-One DLC and then closed their trilogy with "buy our DLCs!" instead of a "thanks for playing" or "hope you liked what we did" or some artistic "fin". That's just fucking insulting to me. It's discourteous and, set on the shit pile of all the other issues (DA 2 back lash, anger with the ending that started with the leaked script, evasion with fan disappointment), shows that Bioware is not any different from some of the other big names out there... instead of being an innovator, they are just another cog in the bullshit machine.

*mouth foam*

I'm all over the place on this. It started with dissatisfaction with the ending of a game, but it's slowly starting to become a complete break-down in trust and loyalty to an industry that I had aspirations in joining. I separated from the Navy to go to college to learn the skills to join the gaming industry - and I'm starting to really regret that decision.