Chikt

Mass Effect 3 (Spoilers contained after Post #30)

or, rather, Fallout 3.

Actually didn't mind Fallout 3's ending. Sure there was the whole "Hey my mutant friend immune to radiation refused to go push the button because of some bs storytelling," but it was at least an actual ending.

She beat me to it!

They finally added a paragraph of value, even though it is still sorted through some blah-blah-blah. Waving the "we got good reviews" flag isn't going to placate people - since one of the biggest concerns is that reviewers did a poor job with Mass Effect 3.

Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

If he walked into the room with that, he could of saved himself a lot of trouble. Also follow it up with:

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary.

If you are a Mass Effect fan and have input for the team – we respect your opinion and want to hear it. We’re committed to address your constructive feedback as best we can. In return, I’d ask that you help us do that by supporting what I truly believe is the best game BioWare has yet crafted. I urge you to do your own research: play the game, finish it and tell us what you think. Tell your friends if you feel it’s a good game as a whole. Trust that we are doing our damndest, as always, to address your feedback. As artists, we care about our fans deeply and we appreciate your support.

Thank you for your feedback – we are listening.

Waving the "we got good reviews" flag isn't going to placate people - since one of the biggest concerns is that reviewers did a poor job with Mass Effect 3.

I personally think the review average is pretty spot on. I'd still give ME3 a 90%, because it is an absolutely brilliant game. I couldn't go subtracting a whole lot from the score because of the ending, it left a bad taste in my mouth but it was only a small part of the game. Multiplayer is fun, singeplayer is fantastic, but it does have bugs and the ending is horrendous. So I think 90% is a good average.

I personally think the review average is pretty spot on. I'd still give ME3 a 90%, because it is an absolutely brilliant game. I couldn't go subtracting a whole lot from the score because of the ending, it left a bad taste in my mouth but it was only a small part of the game. Multiplayer is fun, singeplayer is fantastic, but it does have bugs and the ending is horrendous. So I think 90% is a good average.

I agree, but a lot of the reviews out there gave the game a perfect score. I fucking LOVE Mass Effect, but perfect? No ... a game like this can't be perfect. If you were to really analyze this game (as reviewers should), it is an outdated cover-based shooter without any real innovative content to put it ahead of the pack. Mass Effect's meat and potatoes is the story - and no matter how good a story is... ending it badly (in the form of writing and content) ruins that story. Could it still be a 4/5, 90/100, 9/10? Sure... but a perfect score shows a complete disregard for professionalism.

EA has been caught before with forcing reviewers to give games good scores prior to its release - and this is just another feather in the cap. Bioware's people ignoring that fact in their statements shows that they are either just a mouthpiece or genuinely lost in what they are saying. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and I want to make excuses for them... but I can't. I refuse to drink the kool-aid of that cult, and I refuse to be forced in accepting what could of been a Sci-Fi universe that could of sat very nicely with Star Wars and Star Trek.

Blah. I'm going to get foamy again - I just know it.

I agree, but a lot of the reviews out there gave the game a perfect score. I fucking LOVE Mass Effect, but perfect? No ... a game like this can't be perfect. If you were to really analyze this game (as reviewers should), it is an outdated cover-based shooter without any real innovative content to put it ahead of the pack. Mass Effect's meat and potatoes is the story - and no matter how good a story is... ending it badly (in the form of writing and content) ruins that story. Could it still be a 4/5, 90/100, 9/10? Sure... but a perfect score shows a complete disregard for professionalism.

EA has been caught before with forcing reviewers to give games good scores prior to its release - and this is just another feather in the cap. Bioware's people ignoring that fact in their statements shows that they are either just a mouthpiece or genuinely lost in what they are saying. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and I want to make excuses for them... but I can't. I refuse to drink the kool-aid of that cult, and I refuse to be forced in accepting what could of been a Sci-Fi universe that could of sat very nicely with Star Wars and Star Trek.

Blah. I'm going to get foamy again - I just know it.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I ENTIRELY agree with you that the perfect scores were just damn silly. No game is perfect, and to mark something AS perfect completely overlooks the flaws of that thing. And Mass Effect IS flawed. The ending is horrible, the singleplayer has glitches, and I've lost purchases in Multiplayer because of a bug there - and that's a GAME BREAKING BUG!

Reviewers are barred from talking about specific portions of games in reviews, and I don't doubt that the ME3 ending was one of those things.

Link.

A site geared more towards those who have lady parts, it is a nice write-up. While it is (obviously) geared towards my own opinions... the great thing about it is those countering it are known douches who work for sites with dubious histories.

EDIT: Link. That is to a google doc I guess a bunch of fans made concerning one of the books. Just more fuel to the fire, I suppose.

Some more information as those who are concerned keep the faith until April (PAX).

CNET Poll. So far, this seems to be a far better poll than the others presented. It is to the point and the options aren't confusing... which surprisingly enough... seems to be difficult for people to do? I don't know, but there it is. Not sure if they track IPs, since you don't have to log into anything. The vote is around 11,000, so I doubt it's being abused.

IGN Article. IGN throwing out some failblogging. The Retake Movement (on Facebook) pretty much put this article on blast, seeing as the spokesman wasn't a spokesman at all. The comments are interesting, though - they are pretty civil, but just the same thing that has been said over the last few weeks.

. This is an edited video that explains the "Indoc Theory". It's a decent edit, even though it is edited to support the theory, instead of allowing the facts to pan out (i.e. adding in Harbinger's voice from Arrival). Folks are saying this has been debunked due to the iPad app that was released, but there are still quite a number of individuals who want this to be true; either because it fits with what is currently presented far more than "space magic", or because they believe it keeps with Bioware's "artistic integrity". I tend to agree that the theory is interesting, but it still doesn't explain the poor game design and development. You'd expect something like this from a JRPG - not Bioware.

Twitter. Something a guy put up that people caught on. He was complaining about the complaining, and Bioware's Twitter team responded that they are adding new content for clarification and closure. People are picking it apart on the Bioware Social Network, but here it is at the source!

Annnnd... that's my Mass Effect moment for the day.

EDIT: I LIED! Here is a little YouTube gem. If there is anything to take out of this... is that two things that Bioware didn't fuck up was the music and the art. Game looks and sounds good, baby!

Double EDIT: BSN Post listing all of the quotes made by the Mass Effect bigwigs.

An interesting read about the opinions on game developers. It has Jesse Schell's opinion on it, which is someone whose work I ran into about four or five months ago, and I think a lot of his presentations are amazing.

I also like how the defender's of the "game is art, you don't change art" are involved in games that weren't really noted as being very successful. Bwhahaha!

More reading material. This is some guys blog - he could be important or just some guy... but there it is.

I had a few other links handy that concerned talks on how this is bringing about interesting conversations about the future of the gaming industry... but I forgot where they were. So you get what you get!

Actually didn't mind Fallout 3's ending. Sure there was the whole "Hey my mutant friend immune to radiation refused to go push the button because of some bs storytelling," but it was at least an actual ending.

TWO WEEKS LATER...

I'm still playing through for the first time, but I just want to say: Fuck you, Bioware. I don't wanna get up every five minutes to change a goddamn disc. Why the hell would you create the game in this fashion? Is it to ensure I get sufficient exercise? If I wanted to exercise while I played a game, my Wii wouldn't be in it's box. Fuck you, Bioware.

I don't know if it will help or not, Joe - but I saw a very big decrease in the "change disc" menu coming up when I installed both on the XBox. It could of been because I just hit that "moment" in the game, but looking back - try it out! See if it works.

I'm still playing through for the first time, but I just want to say: Fuck you, Bioware. I don't wanna get up every five minutes to change a goddamn disc. Why the hell would you create the game in this fashion? Is it to ensure I get sufficient exercise? If I wanted to exercise while I played a game, my Wii wouldn't be in it's box. Fuck you, Bioware.

I never had to change a disc.... hahahahahaha! Do what abric says and install to hard drive on your console. Which you should do on any console game you plan to play regularly.

So, I'm at the very end. I went to the "Destroy reapers" side. I can only spin. I can't shoot, I can't move forwards, backwards, strafe, or fuck an Asari. What do I do? I had to load the autosave. Shepard's gun was borke.

So, I'm at the very end. I went to the "Destroy reapers" side. I can only spin. I can't shoot, I can't move forwards, backwards, strafe, or fuck an Asari. What do I do? I had to load the autosave. Shepard's gun was borke.

Just reload the auto save. It should put you right up there the moment after your conversation with the kid ended.

When I was talking to the kid, I suddenly realized the reason behind the rage. I just wish I could have gotten the "best" ending without needing extra bullshit to get my Readiness Rating up.

When I was talking to the kid, I suddenly realized the reason behind the rage. I just wish I could have gotten the "best" ending without needing extra bullshit to get my Readiness Rating up.

The "best" ending is all a matter of perspective. Which is one of the things I like about the ending. Again before incoming rage insanity I still think the ending could and should have been done better. It is okay to like parts of it people.