Joewaldren

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

What's everyone's thoughts now that we've got our hands on it? What'd you roll? Who's side are you on? Do you like buckets? I'll be periodically updating this post with interesting links relating to Skyrim.

I Punch Giants: How to Become a Master of Unarmed Combat - Be a man, punch those dragons in the face.

Skyrim Unique Armor and Items Detailed Locations - Awesome armor and weapons and where you can find them.

Currently I have a High Elf Magey character who went with the Imperials and a Nord Warrior-type who went with the rebels. Second one is so cliche but Nords are badass o.O The game itself is surprising in how cool it is, even for an Elder Scrolls game. I love the new Favorites quick-change menu, and how they simplified the skills and such(aka binding speechcraft and mercantilism together). The constellations are awesome to use, loving the perk selections. The new crafting system is amazing as well. Though, I have to say my favorite three things are the Criticals, Thu'um, and Beast Form. Criticals are amazing to watch, Thu'um is ridiculously OP(also, whenever you're using the Unrelenting Force I think it's called, listen close and it sounds like he/she's saying "bullshit".) Beast Form is also OP, even if I can't interact with anything. The only bad thing about this game is the two-shotting giants and their mammoth friends.

The only bad thing about this game is the two-shotting giants and their mammoth friends.

That's probably one of my favorite features so far, makes the game more immersive. My fearless Nordic Warrior can cut down dozens of bandit scum, but hell if I'm messing with a 20 foot tower of pain.

Also, I always hear "Boosh!" when I shout.

I took down a mammoth on my Breton mage yesterday, but Lydia died. /reset

I've got my Breton Mage who signed up with the imperials, An Orc warrior with the Stormcloaks, and a Bosmer Sniper who gives no expletives to either side.

So far my main is a Breton Nightblade, cause I been trying to stay very close to having those selection of skills and kind of "theme" for his build. Plus...I am just a avid sneaker...my skill with it is at 60 something right now haha. I will be joining the Stormcloaks with him since Ralof seemed like the one to follow back when crap hit the fan.

I personally have not used the infamous bucket! But with a sneak of 60 something and the illusion spell muffle I really don't need it, I can run up to someones back and just stand there while his buddy is next to him. I am hoping though I didn't screw myself over with perk placement, I might be spreading them out to far but I am really trying to get a mix of a rogue mage. My plan is getting the poison perks in alch, DW ones in One Handed, Sneak to Assassin's blade, full illusion and alteration with Restoration for stamina gain with heals and that perk that looks interesting that saves you from a killing blow. Think thats to spread out?

Also I been trying to make effective use of Beast Form...if your wearing heavy armor at transformation does that effect how durable the form is? I transform and I am squishie with no way to heal besides eating something and being stuck in the form for longer ><

I'm playing an Argonian at the moment, and her name is Grak'mal. I haven't had as much fun playing a video game in years, well worth the wait. I'm taking my time and going SLOW throughout the game, I want it to last as long as possible for myself. The only thing I hate is that because I'm refusing to use Fast Travel during any circumstance, if I die and have forgotten to save in awhile... I've got a LOT of walking to do again... lol

Also - when I've done everything there is to do within the game, expect to see some work on a multiplayer mod coming from myself. :) (Assuming they've released the construction set by that time, if they haven't already .)

Yeah dragons have been easy for me. Hack or cast at 'em till they die and stay out of the fire. (Hey it's like WoW! :P). Been having problems with the Vampire Master at the one dungeon-type place. Forget the name.

^^^What with Lydia being a Lockpick-everything-in-one-try tool, I get too much cool stuff to lug my way back to town, only to find more stuff and then be lugging around with anchors for shoes to make it worse. :P

Is she? I've never used her for opening locks. I'll have to try that soon. Getting exp by Lock-picking on a mage is not fun.It'll be a must on my warrior it seems. I'm not getting enough lock-picks and I've found Master Locks! Master Locks... Bane of my existence. Anyone else having a problem with the game freezing up? May have something to do with playing it 12 hours a day, but I'm not sure.

The regular dragons are a piece of cake. Elder Dragons I have died several times fighting. I seriously had an easier time with the last part of the main quest than I do with those jerks, as well as Dragon Priests and the high tier rogue wizards, which I run into all the time in my goal of hunting down all the Words. Using the terrain to avoid the spells and fire breath is absolutely needed.

Yeah, I never knew about it until I tried telling her to do something, and unlock a chest one day. Literally every chest I've come across(Master, Expert, etc. locks), she walks up to, and then they're unlocked. Of course, I don't get any xp from them, but even still, holy s**t! I thought it was pretty OP.Don't know if it's all companions or just Lydia.

I'm having more of a problem finding dargons to kill for souls than I am finding words. How do you even find out how close you are to unlocking the next soul? Its silly. How do you guys feel about having pickpocketing as its own skill? I preferred it being tied into sneak. That and other things are making me wary of doing my classic Sneaky Sniper character that served me so well in Oblivion. I haven't faced any of the ancient dragons, yet. Need to work on my mage... His enchanting is godawful ATM, and I'd love for that to be useful. Anyone else playing a character unlike the one you played in oblivion?

I am having an easier time now with dragons, I'm level 18 on the second hardest difficulty. Killed my first dragon priest, Krosis. He was a DICK. Took about 6 attempts, Lydia and I finally got him.

The way I killed him was to unequip my shield to stay on him, and pinned his ass up against a post. I also used the knockback shout to keep him there, and interrupt fireball casts (l2fakecast nub) Then Lydia with her dwarven greatsword and I with my orcish mace pounded his ass (hehehehe) til I was almost out of health potions. Then I ran and hid, taking pot shots with my bow while Lydia kept working on him. She fell down a couple times, but he didn't seem to want to finish her, so she just kept standing up and power attacking his dick off.

I myself am a proper Imperial bad ass uh huh. I am sort of a weird amalgam character. I specialize in one handed swords and heavy armor but have put alot of effort into destruction and restoration. I have almost never used magic in an elder scrolls game before so it is sort of strange for me. I still have alot of skill in blacksmithing, sneak, and lockpicking but only BS has any perks in it. Surprisingly I have a decent amount of skill in enchanting too even though all I ever do is disenchant things. If I had to compare it to an actual "class" from an elder scrolls game I would say I am sort of a battle mage that really likes swords.

What I'm finding difficult on melee focused characters, Ice Wraiths kick my ass... might not be a problem for a nord with the frost resist, but they're pretty strong. Got through DBH questline last night. Going through Thieves Guild right now. Going through the {Spoilers}Dwarven Museum{/Spoilers} is pretty crazy, nearly got caught at the end.

Well bought this : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227371

So once i got it, ill get myself skyrim too!

Although, the only same genre game I've played was Dark Messiah.. but will ask, is Oblivion a prequel to story? or they dont really follow up.

I'm not sure if the games take place one after the other in a systematic time line or not.. Regardless, each of the games do a good job explaining everything you need to know, you wouldn't have to play any of the previous elder scroll games to understand what's going on in Skyrim.

Yeah, I believe they are placed one after the other, but are barely related. I know Skyrim comes after Oblivion because of one of the books in Skyrim I read mentioned Martin(or whatever his name was) from Oblivion.

Yeah, I believe they are placed one after the other, but are barely related. I know Skyrim comes after Oblivion because of one of the books in Skyrim I read mentioned Martin(or whatever his name was) from Oblivion.

Skyrim takes place 200 years after the events in Oblivion. You don't really need to have played the past games to know the lore, and there's plenty of in-game information with books all over.

Skyrim takes place 200 years after the events in Oblivion. You don't really need to have played the past games to know the lore, and there's plenty of in-game information with books all over.

All true. There are also books in the game that summarize events from previous games that came even before Oblivion. Such as "The Life of Uriel Septim", there may even be a copy of "The Warp in the West" floating around somewhere. Anything that deals with Red Mountain, the Tribunal, or the Nerevarine prophecies will tell the story of Morrowind.

That said the elder scrolls games chronologically are...

Redguard -------- Takes place during the life of Tiber Septim (aka Talos) when he is unifying the Empire.

Arena ---------------------------

Battlespire

Daggerfall ---- All of these take place within say 30 years or so of each other. Arena and Battlespire actually happen at basically the same time. Mostly follows the big important issues in Uriel Septim's life save Morrowind.

Morrowind

Oblivion -----------------------

Skyrim -------- 200 years after Oblivion.