Swerto

Never Forget.

10 years?

It's been a while.

Remember where you were? Do you remember your reaction to the news?

Well, we finally nabbed one of the masterminds behind it and gave him the good ol' double tap, so I guess that's good.

I've been on a bit of a facebook rampage, giving the obligatory 'You're a fucking moron' response to every conspiracy theory that pops up on my feed.

I was in grade school, the announcement came over the PA, but the teachers kept hush-hush about it, school was released early. We really didn't know what was going on until we got home, there my stepdad and mother filled me in on what happaned, we watched the towers come down on live TV.

I was 4, but I remember seeing the second plane hit the Second Tower on the news. And I agree completely with you about the conspiracy thing, what would've been the benefit?

In the grand scale of global tragedies this was barely a blip on the radar.

That said it was still a shocker, I was eight and sitting in my mom's room watching TV when it happened, I was eight so I had no idea what the hell to think.

On topic: I was just waking up for class (My middle school didn't start until around 8:30), and I was coming downstairs when the news was on, just showing the second plane going into the second tower. I had no idea what was going on, and it was the first time in my life that the idea we were untouchable (Something that I'm confident in saying most children in the United States are, if not out-right taught, then led to believe) was broken.

As I was speaking about in the Shoutbox: flipping through the channels I got the sense that some people were almost celebrating 9/11 as a Holiday, and I'm not referring to our enemies who WANTED to see us attacked because they hate us. What happened on 9/11 was an absolute atrocity, but celebrating this day like a Holiday also seems very, very strange to me. You don't see any other countries celebrating days when thousands+ of their citizens were killed.

I can understand if it's part of the grieving process, but something just seems...off, at least in my opinion. Perhaps moreso because it's the 10th anniversary.

We will never forget, but it seems distasteful to celebrate the day.

I was eight. 4th grade I think, We were in class, but the teacher turned on the TV in the room and we heard what was going on. I didn't understand; I was too young. Terrorism tragedies across the country wasnt something my gradeschool head could really comprehend.

10 years ago, the world as we knew it was changed. 10 years later, we cant imagine anything different than what it is now.

In the grand scale of global tragedies this was barely a blip on the radar.

That said it was still a shocker, I was eight and sitting in my mom's room watching TV when it happened, I was eight so I had no idea what the hell to think.

On the scale of tragedies in general? Probably.

On the scale of tragedies that were created by man? No.

I was in first grade, I remember my teacher freaking out and trying to get us all to shut up. She left us alone and told us to stay quiet for a few moments when she left to watch it on TV with the other teachers. I was pulled out of class by my Dad, and we watched from home with my Mom. Being a little kid, he tried to explain the event as Godzilla attacking, which sort of shut me up and kept me innocent. I had also just seen the movie, so I believed that for a little while, until I heard the real story at school like, the next day or whatever.

Real sad day. Can't believe it's been ten years. I do agree with Necro, it isn't a day to celebrate, it's day for somber mourning.

I was 12. in bed, sleeping in (I'd just transferred schools and the transfer hadn't gone through yet, so i had a few free days). My sensationalist mother stormed into the room as she was halfway ready for work yelling that we were going to war! Going to war! I think she probably thought it was a prelude to WWIII.

Being in Texas, it was 7:41 when the first attack struck. I was sitting in the school cafeteria, talking with friends. We had no clue until around 8:10ish that America was under attack. Classes were cancelled, everyone was brought into the cafeteria and the news was put on in TV's around as we prepared to go home. I can honestly say that I knew what had -happened-, but I didn't understand it, and I'm not meant to. Why someone would deliberately force death upon 3,000 people for the sake of proving a needless point is beyond me. I guess this is human nature. As I said, I'm not meant to know. I still have the Dallas Morning News paper on Wednesday, September 12th entitled 'War at home'.

I know that 50 years along the road, I may have grandkids who may ask about it. I was 2,000 miles away,had no relation to any victims, and it took me several years to comprehend it. I, personally, choose never to forget.

I distinctly remember that day. I was in grade school and because my part of Long Island is like 30-45 minutes away from Manhattan, my teachers went into their emergancy modes, so the blinds were closed, and the lights were out. I remember how people were freaking out and what not and then they told us.

My first thought, ironically, was that about a year or two earlier the USS Cole was attacked in Yemen and I wondered if it was related. My sister was crying so my brother and me got to leave class to be with her. My parents got us and we were pretty happy because my dad was working in Manhattan that day (he was late because of whatever and wound up not going) and he was safe.

Later that week we found out my second cousin John had been killed in the attack.

I don't really remember being scared, or even sad, just really really angry. This is America. This doesn't happen to us. It was also the day my brother decided he wanted to join the Army (Although he went Marines).

I still feel the same way. I'm not sad or afraid, just mad that we couldn't do something, more specifically, that I was too young and small to do anything.

I was in the 8th grade, and something weird was going on that morning. Going into my history class, the TV was on, but muted. It wasn't until the principal came over the PA and asked for a moment of silence. Then, the tv was turned up. I watched the second tower get attacked live. I was one of the first ones to laugh. This sort of thing didn't happen. And then I started going around class, having people sign up for bets on which state would get attacked next. (Yeah, I was a real bastard)

I got pulled out of school early, came home and sat in the living room with a very quiet mother. She simply shook her head, and sighed, and made us a cup of hot tea.

Did I cry? Nah. Did we lose family? Of course. It's a day in history that showed American wasn't such a big bad wolf, and we did have a weak point. But it also showed how we overcame that. I don't think there's been so much love for one another than there was that September.

ps- 9/11 is becoming the new Memorial Day. A day of reliving a nightmare over and over until you go to bed. I except there to be blowout furniture and clothing sales in a few years.

I love these threads they remind me exactly how old I am! Where was I? At home on my day off fixing a dell that had gone to crap less than one week after it was first installed. I woke up listening to the radio, at the time they thought it was an accident. I remember my first thought was "So they finally got lucky and did it? Radio guy is an idiot, terrorist attacks aren't accidents."

I was in my final week of Boot Camp, after finishing Battle Stations and in an anti-terrorism class where they were teaching us about changing your routes and being a "hard target". Because Navy Recruit Training (Boot Camp) is close to Chicago, the first news being leaked to us by the instructors was there was an accident at the Sears Tower and a plane crashed. It then changed to a building in New York, then to a passenger plane, then to a "get out of your seats, shipmates, we've been attacked."

Our graduation was on September 14th, and due to the closure of all air traffic the 500+ people that graduated that day hardly had any family present. Instead, all of the instructors and recruiters (there was a conference happening around that time) came and watched our pass and review.

I was at work, wandering someplace and wondering what people were gathering for in the break room (where the TV was). So I popped in and heard about how a plane just hit. Then we got to watch live as the second one came in, making it clear this wasn't an accident.

Watched the news/aftermath that evening with my g/f at her mom's place.

I feel so old... I was 18 and my friend and on had just set out on our bikes with camping gear to ride up the coast of california. We didn't hear the news until I stopped at work to pick up my pay check.

We decided to keep going anyway. Made for an interesting start to my adulthood.

I was 14, freshman year of High School. My stepmother drove over to my mother's house to tell me, so I pulled up some news site and found out (it had already happened when we woke up here in AK). I went to school like normal, but we didn't do anything all day. In every class I remember just watching the footage over and over and talking about it.

I was in seventh grade. I woke up to hear my dad saying 'oh my god' at the TV upstairs.

Heard a lot about it at school. Cannot remember my reaction though. I remember going to my cousin's birthday party that afternoon.

I would have been ten years old when this all went down. I was sitting at home with my mom who was bawling her eyes out in front of the T.V. As it turned out her sister was dangerously close to the location of the attacks and my mom, of course, jumped to conclusions. As it turned out my Aunt was safe.

I had a superficial understanding of what had happened, but I guess you could say the magnitude of the attacks didn't sink in.

It was my twentieth birthday; I was on my way to work when I heard the first report come over the radio in my car. It's kind of strange that I have a snapshot in my head of the view out the windshield of my car when I heard the bulletin, because it was the very first announcement that the station did, so there was no report of a passenger plane or hijacking or anything. It just sounded like some guy flying a teeny plane had had an accident, so the fact that I can pinpoint exactly where my world stopped and what it looked like at the time seems strange to me, especially because I can't remember anything about the moment I first heard that it wasn't an accident at all.

The rest of the day was spent making coffee for people and watching the news replay the second plane hitting and the towers collapsing.