Necroxis

Wolfheart spoilers

MMO-Champion has a much more thorough write up than I could make this quick, so here is some of the spoilers from the new book, Wolfheart, by Richard Knaak:

1.) Garrosh has some big ambitions. He plans to create a new city to rival Orgrimmar in Ashenvale, and launches a large-scale invasion to make this happen. He's acquired some sort of special weapon to turn the tide here. The "weapon" in question is actually proto-drakes and magnataurs from Northrend, and Garrosh has shipped them to Ashenvale.

2.) I'll come out and say it: Garrosh is handled quite well, from what I've seen. He comes off as somewhat antagonistic, naturally, but he's portrayed as both cunning and quite competent

3.) Varian doesn't like the Gilneans. He (literally) spits in Genn Greymane's face, and is the only Alliance leader to deny them entry into it. He blames Genn for sealing off his nation, reasoning that Lordaeron may not have fallen and the Horde could've been nipped in the bud, if egotistical pricks like him and Anasterian hadn't abandoned the Alliance of Lordaeron. Varian is almost attacked by several worgen for this, though Genn calls them off. Varian (rightfully) mocks an apologetic Greymane relentlessly, despite all of the other Alliance leaders vouching for him.

4.)Malfurion feels responsible for the worgen curse, looking back to that Ralaar stuff covered in some comic (Malfurion openly rejects the Druids of the Fang and banishes them to the Emerald Dream).

5.) There are male sentinels now

6.) The Alliance leaders meet in Darnassus: Varian, Genn, Tyrande, Malfurion, Archmage Tervosh from Theramore, Falstad and two random dwarves from the Dark Iron/Wildhammer clans, Gelbin, and Velen. Apparently that night elf called Pained in Theramore got smashed up fighting a "dark magi," and Gelbin nearly kills one of the dwarves in his mechanostrider.

7.) Malfurion tries to talk some sense into Varian, though fails to get through to him.

8.) All of the Watchers were killed during Maiev's hunt for Illidan, and Maiev herself came back to live in Teldrassil, despite some harsh arguments with Tyrande. She's training a new generation of Watchers now.

9.) Anduin and Varian's relationship is as rocky as ever. Varian almost breaks Anduin's arms after a ragefit, though slinks off afterwards. Velen takes Anduin under his wing for a while - and also hints that Anduin has a great destiny ahead of him with the light. A nod to him being a priest, I took it.

10.) Anduin makes reference to feeling "something not quite right" about Archbishop Benedictus. You should know why. (Twilight Father)

11.) Jarod Shadowsong is a major player. Turns out he disappeared after the WotA, citing Malfurion's interests being more in helping nature than his own people. He got married around this time, to a (now deceased) priestess called Shalasyr Shadowsong. There's a slightly awkward reunion between him and a somewhat jealous Shandris, who reflects on how different their roads have been.

12.) Maiev is a villain now. You know that murdered highborne mentioned in the preview? Maiev is the one hired to solve the mystery... but, of course, it turns out Maiev is the killer. She's plotting to kill Malfurion and take the night elves out of the Alliance, viewing the other races are a pestilential blight infecting their people. She fails, though, and escapes death towards the end. Possible raid boss in the future, sadly... What a waste.

13.) The Watchers have a bit of a superiority complex, though without Maiev is seems the loyal ones need a new leader.

14.) Needless to say, Jarod confronts Maiev and frees Malfurion; they fight for a bit, and then Maiev escapes.

15.) The Horde zerg Silverwing Refuge. Garrosh has some fun; cutting down Alliance here and there. He has some inner thoughts about how they fought well and honourably, deserved the clean death that Gorehowl gave them, etc. He goes on to think about Grom, about how Thrall and his father will respect him as a hero after he's conquered Azeroth, about how he's the future, and all that.

16.) Garrosh had planned that attack with a goal in mind - to lure out Tyrande. He's right, and Tyrande personally shows up to fight off the Horde. Though, the Horde release the magnataur who in turn rush the Alliance, and Tyrande herself is shot twice with arrows. One of her commanders signals a retreat. Here's his thought process:

"Ashenvale falls!" Garrosh Hellscream thought with growing anticipation. "Ashenvale falls, Father!"

Garrosh wondered how his father would have viewed this victory. Would he have been proud? Even eight magnataur had proven enough to easily crush the decadent Alliance. They had been all he needed to tilt the balance once and for all.

"This land will help us grow," he thought, as he surged forward with the rest of his loyal force. A Sentinel caught behind the collapse of her linessought to bring more glory to her doom by suddenly leaping up from the dead to attack him. She proved to be a decent adversary, briefly stalling his advance, and so when Gorehowl ripped through both her breastplate and her torso, he wished her spirit well in the afterlife.

This would be a battle of which the young would be taught forever. Every family would have heroes to name in the festivals that would come after the war's triumphant end.

Even the legendary Thrall, Garrosh's predecessor---even Thrall, who had been reluctant to renew the struggle for Azeroth---would surely call Garrosh the champion of the orc race and of all the Horde.

"Ashenvale is ours...and the rest of Azseroth will follow...There is nothing more mighty than the Horde...nothing that the Alliance can do to change what fate demands of this new world..."

One had to be strong in the Azeroth that Deathwing had created. The Alliance had once been so, but it was of the past. The Horde was the future.

Garrosh was the future.

He almost pitied the night elves and their ilk. They fought bravely but without a chance. They acted as if there were hope, when it was obvious that there was not. Garrosh had used the very summit intended to bring his enemies together in order to catch them most off guard. The other factions of the Alliance had provided the night elf force with the handful of supporters that he had calculated. By the time Theramore and the others were able to send greater numbers, the Horde would have Ashenvale secured.

17.) Varian and Genn make up. After killing some bear with only a skinning knife, they give each other some veiled compliments. Genn then shows Varian the Tal'Doren ritual (the one where worgen regain their humanity), and Varian undertakes it. He comes to realize that "loss" is his biggest issue, and that having lost so much, he simply could not bear to lose much more. Genn also reflects on the sentiment. The two rush the Horde's flank, and down some of the magnataur together.

18.) Garrosh and Varian duel. They're evenly matched at first, though "something" clicks inside of Varian, to the point where he gains complete and total focus on Garrosh alone, despite all of the slaughter around them. He charges him, and cuts his way through all of the Horde that come at him, and "somehow" (bear with me, this gets dragonballzish) manages to completely fight Garrosh off despite not quite understanding how. Varian then takes the advantage, striking Garrosh's arm and disarming Gorehowl. Some dying magnataur collapses between them, and Garrosh composes himself to rush Varian once more. As he moves, though, some Kor'kron convince him to stop - the fight is lost either way. Garrosh grudgingly sounds the retreat, and swears to kill Varian as the first step to realizing his dream.

19.) There's still some nonsense about Varian's relationship with that wolf god, though our gentle readers have been somewhat coy about spilling the beans on that. Either way, it seems like it's more in the vein of "influence" than "possession," but it still comes off as contrived.

Source

Number 12 will anger a lot of fans. But, she sticks to some of the older views I guess. First Staghelm now this.

Is this all the spoilers for the books or is more coming along later~?

Maiev openly shrugs off the fact that Tyrande possibly died in Frozen Throne, so I don't see it as that big of a jump. In their backstories, Maiev already expresses hatred toward Tyrande for becoming the new leader of the Sentinels, so I can see where she is at least coming from (Even if she is dead wrong).

These generally cover all the spoilers, too. The important ones, that is.

It also appears that Garrosh is becoming increasingly deluded. At least in the fact that he thinks Thrall would be proud of what he's doing to the Night Elves in Ashenvale. It also seems like he's focusing almost exclusively on them, at the moment (From purposefully putting thousands of troops lives on the line to lure out Tyrande to wanting to make a giant city in Ashenvale).

--Maiev becomes a villain, mostly cause she goes all elitist. Kinda saw this coming. >.>

--Garrosh needs a swift ass kicking

--lolwtf@Varian and his schizo-ness?

--I want to stab those 'male sentinels' and slap Knaak upside the head for making Jarod look like a doucher. Jus sayin.

--Also, hang on a minute: Wasn't Jarod and Shandris....?

I AM SO GLAD THESE THINGS ARE NOT CANON!!..Right? It's not canon...

Excellent. Now we can have Anudin and Me'dan come together to save the world from the Old Gods - or maybe contact the Titans directly and do something totally off the wall.

That is, after Varian sacrifices himself like some super hero - instead of the complete and utter poor character that he is.

--Maiev becomes a villain, mostly cause she goes all elitist. Kinda saw this coming. >.>

Indeed. It wasn't a surprise whatsoever. Maiev was always an extremist.

--Garrosh needs a swift ass kicking

Varian gave him one

--lolwtf@Varian and his schizo-ness?

This isn't anything new, he's been dealing with this since being recombined into 1 being.

--I want to stab those 'male sentinels' and slap Knaak upside the head for making Jarod look like a doucher. Jus sayin.

Why? I'm normally the conductor on the Knaak bashing-train, but I don't really see a big deal about Sentinels accepting males, especially since the Night Elves are not really using their "Male druids sleep for 10 thousand years while female sentinels watch over their lands" mentality anymore because of the Horde, Legion, and Scourge.

--Also, hang on a minute: Wasn't Jarod and Shandris....?

Yes, they were romantically involved, and it is mentioned multiple times in the book. There are several awkward scenes between the two because Jarod basically vanishes after the War of the Ancients and does not tell anybody, even Shandris.

Excellent. Now we can have Anudin and Me'dan come together to save the world from the Old Gods - or maybe contact the Titans directly and do something totally off the wall.

Wha?

That is, after Varian sacrifices himself like some super hero - instead of the complete and utter poor character that he is.

Outside of his schizophrenia, I actually think Varian is one of the more interesting WoW characters.

Sorry, guess it is Med'an.

I think I'll always not like Varian, just to the simple fact that they (Metzen) decided to give him credit on killing Onyxia, when the heroes of the Horde and Alliance have been doing it for 2-3 years before they even though of going that route. While I think they did a good job blending the Missing Diplomat quest with giving Stormwind a legitimate ruler, I think the core of it is still a little weak. The whole "was a slave" thing was just dumb. NOBODY in Horde leadership believes in slavery, and they put an extreme emphasis that the idea of slavery is so distasteful and hateful in the Horde that ... well... that entire storyline is stupid. Now, I will say I didn't read the comic books involved in it, but from my understanding of being able to use wowpedia, everything about it was against what was originally presented. Which is fine, they can change their story all they want...

Yet, when Thrall hears about this slavery business, he doesn't do anything about it, AND he doesn't try to make amends with Varian. That doesn't make any sense, as Warchief (and a huge fan of the whole "no slave" thing) he could of just as easily, within the character confines of his presented personality, sent Varian the heads of the people who enslaved him and said, "We didn't condone this as Horde, here's a gift." He didn't - so just lame.

Bah! The whole Varian thing is just silly. Him coming out and being the leader of the Alliance is also silly, and I think they were just trying to balance it out. The Garrosh/Varian thing has some merit, but again... kind of silly. All other leaders of the Alliance following behind Varian, after the whole "Arthas thing" is also silly. Why suddenly trust the human who is walking around like his shit doesn't stink, when it was another human just like him who caused the third war? Jania I could of understood (she actually contributed to the war and saved HER people), but Varian? Doesn't make any sense - especially since they lost one of their oldest and most valued allies (the Sin'dorei).

I doubt we'll see Med'an again. I read the comic introducing him and it was just...not great. Not only did they kill Aegwynn off as a plot device at the end, but they basically made Med'an a god. Blizzard got a TON of shit from that even from people who are usually Blizzard defenders (Like me).

Although to comment on your slavery thing, Thrall does mention it in The Shattering when Varian requests the heads of the Horde informants (Who were actually members of the Twilight's Hammer) who attacked the peaceful summit of Night Elf and Tauren druids. He mentions the fact that even if he knew who did it, he would not send them just as he wouldn't when Varian remembered he was the King of Stormwind after being a slave: It made Thrall look weak. For every bit of Mary Sueness that is the character of Thrall (And there is a LOT of it), I felt like Golden at least tried to begin to redeem him as a believable character when she made Thrall argue that making himself look weak by catering to the Human King would jeopardize his missions of peace more than if he placated Varian's demands (Because someone could challenge Thrall's leadership based on him being weak - Something Garrosh ends up doing anyway).

What I find amusing is that if any character in Warcraft has any flaws, or if Blizzard decides the character has gone completely insane, there is a slight possibility that they will become a future raid encounter.

Calling it now: Maiev's raid encounter will have a now heroic Illidan helping the raid with his new warglaives forged from the shards of frostmourne.

What I find amusing is that if any character in Warcraft has any flaws, or if Blizzard decides the character has gone completely insane, there is a slight possibility that they will become a future raid encounter.

Calling it now: Maiev's raid encounter will have a now heroic Illidan helping the raid with his new warglaives forged from the shards of frostmourne.

It would be interesting if Blizzard knew that people thought this way and then introduced Maiev as like the leaderof a neutral faction that first started out hated but you could build up to exalted, like the Brood of Nozdormu. Because Maiev isn't exactly evil, she just thinks Malfurion sucks as a leader, and I'm beginning to sort of agree with her and Fandral. Malfurion gets so worried about the ovearching threat (Which is important), but he completely neglects the lesser ones, such as Garrosh.

So while Ragnaros is defeated, the Horde keeps chipping away at Ashenvale.

There has to be a better solution.

The Horde has been trying to take over Ashenvale for...how long, and they didn't until Malfurion came back? I'm thinking it's more of Tyrande's mindset 'Malfurion's back! He'll take over! He says Ragnaros, then we'll go stand in fire til he dies!"

It's kind of...a joint effort, I think.

I doubt we'll see Med'an again. I read the comic introducing him and it was just...not great. Not only did they kill Aegwynn off as a plot device at the end, but they basically made Med'an a god. Blizzard got a TON of shit from that even from people who are usually Blizzard defenders (Like me).

Although to comment on your slavery thing, Thrall does mention it in The Shattering when Varian requests the heads of the Horde informants (Who were actually members of the Twilight's Hammer) who attacked the peaceful summit of Night Elf and Tauren druids. He mentions the fact that even if he knew who did it, he would not send them just as he wouldn't when Varian remembered he was the King of Stormwind after being a slave: It made Thrall look weak. For every bit of Mary Sueness that is the character of Thrall (And there is a LOT of it), I felt like Golden at least tried to begin to redeem him as a believable character when she made Thrall argue that making himself look weak by catering to the Human King would jeopardize his missions of peace more than if he placated Varian's demands (Because someone could challenge Thrall's leadership based on him being weak - Something Garrosh ends up doing anyway).

I agree in part, but there is a fundamental difference between slavery within the Horde (which is considered to be an unforgivable crime) and an unknown attack against druids. They knew who was the slaver, and what the slaver was doing. The attack on the druids was unknown, a mystery, something spoken merely as "they were orcs." Though, I didn't like that part in the book, as it was presumed because they were orcs, they were Horde. I honestly can't see ANYONE in the Warcraft universe believing that to be true. Orcs are everywhere, in every facet of every faction out there, besides the distinct racial ones (i.e. Darnassus, Stormwind). Orc=Horde is about as silly a train of thought as Human=Stormwind.

I think they ATTEMPTED to make a good story out of a big flaw - but stuffing the pipe with trash doesn't make the oil go away. Allowing such a huge storyline involving slavery in the Horde was poor and contradicted the core of what the new Horde was about. If they wanted to go the route of making it seem like Thrall was losing his touch on what his people were doing... then cool - but they didn't. It was merely a plot device imbedded to make Varian look bad ass and give him a reason to hate the Horde - even though they had four or five OTHER reasons they could of went with that were just as valid and didn't require them to make such a fundamental change to one faction to bring the other faction "up to par" with an equal-standing character.

TWO BECOMES ONE! LO'GOSH AND SISSY VARIAN, BACK TO BACK!

After hearing about spoilers on the story forums, it seems like the red shirt treatment of the Night Elves is back with a vengeance. What was your impression, Necroxis?

I am not up on all the hip and jive story techniques so I have no idea what that means.

I am not up on all the hip and jive story techniques so I have no idea what that means.

It's Star Trek terminology. The guys in the red shirts (security officers) always die first.

Unless he's talking about this guy:

340x_oauc1cxysho.jpg

Then I have no clue.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedShirt

May as well add...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedShirtArmy

If you have no idea where this sentiment comes from, look at the Night Elven battle record, which can best be put into metaphor by the first thirteen seconds of

. (That would be Jaron Namir playing the part of the Night Elves, for clarification.) What I've heard from the spoilers so far is that it certainly doesn't change in Wolfheart: the Night Elves get curbstomped by the Horde + eight magnataur. (Those things I farmed in Dragonblight? Yep, them.) Then where a Night Elven army clearly fails, (big surprise, right?) Varian and some random pack of worgen force the Horde into retreat, with Garrosh swearing vengeance.

So, do I completely misrepresent things, or does this proud warcraft tradition live on?

Uhh...the Night Elves against the Orcs and Magnataur and Proto Dragons alone should be getting roflstomped.

Did you happen to read further and see that when Genn and Varian get over their butthurt feelings for each other, their forces push the Orcs back to their regular bases? They don't gain any ground.

Did you happen to read further and see that when Genn and Varian get over their butthurt feelings for each other, their forces push the Orcs back to their regular bases? They don't gain any ground.

I am aware of that, but I have also read that they did so essentially alone, routing the same force that roflstomped the Night Elves. I am asking if that representation is accurate.