Duroxas

Tarecgosa's Rest and it's Implications

Now, I don't know about all you guys, but I drool at That Staff every time I see it. But some questions have occurred to me concerning what it represents and what it could indicate that I want to bring up and hear opinions on.

Today, MMO-champion posted the Video of the (sweet as hell) mount that the Staff turns you into, Right

if you haven't seen it, and It got me thinking. The entire quest line revolves around the ascension of the new blue aspect and the binding of Tarecgosa's essence to the player, essentially bringing the player into the Blue Dragonflight.

What does something like this mean for the character? Are they a dragon? Can they access the powers OF a blue dragon and it's command over arcane magic? Since Tarecgosa is essentially living in their head, can she take over? And does this get extra complicated for MALE characters that suddenly have a FEMALE dragon brain sharing a head with them?

These implications could lead to some VERY fun RP (IF a staff holder decides they want to RP it, though it'd be hard to explain that mount otherwise), especially when the gender thing gets involved, but it could also touch on some RP labels that are generally labeled as "Mary Sue" and get rocks thrown at people (IE most things that involve dragons and having their powers). Thoughts?

Eventually the staff will be like shadowmourne and everyone will have it, the first RPer to get it will be in a very awesome position if other people recognize their RP, but eventually other Rpers will have it and they will either have to drop their RP or compete with other people for the 'right' to RP it.

Eventually the staff will be like shadowmourne and everyone will have it, the first RPer to get it will be in a very awesome position if other people recognize their RP, but eventually other Rpers will have it and they will either have to drop their RP or compete with other people for the 'right' to RP it.

"Everyone" doesn't have Shadowmourne - unless of course you're attempting to paint a broad stroke merely for point. While it (Dragonwrath) isn't going to be an exclusive item as At'iesh and Ashbringer was, it will probably be on par with Thori'dal and dual War Glaives; you'll see folks with it - but it's going to be some time before any Dick, Jane, and Steve will be e'peening it at the auction house to become internet cool.

The item, like any legendary, offers a number of people who have the capability and talent to make something very big of it. Unfortunately, the first tier of folks who will be getting this aren't very talented (in regards to this forum and purpose of the thread) or very interested in sharing stories past "look at me at the auction house; I'm internet cool." Of course, I honestly can't speak up for that past my opinion - but what I can speak up to is I'm forcing our two folks in my guild to do something about it. SURPRISE to them!

Except that everyone who wanted shadowmourne and put forward the effort to get it DID get it. It wasn't particularly hard to get, you could get most of it done through PuGs as long as you had the gold and patience, just the people in hardcore raiding guilds got it earlier. I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen with this.

And warglaives don't count as a legendary, they're a fucking drop. Legendaries don't drop, they require at least some minor quest chain, or crafting chain, or SOMETHING. Not a lucky dice roll that has your item drop and now you have it, sure that can be part of it, but that shouldn't be the whole damn legendary chain. 'Oh hey, it dropped, now I have it!"

BC Legendaries = Dumb.

*Gets back to the original point of the post and not Swerto just making an irrelevant tangent based off of opinion*

There have been a few times where the "essence" of another being is bound to the player. Of course, most of the time it's temporary and serves just as a quest giver that you don't need to keep running back to town for, but there really isn't any lore established to state how deep the connection goes and what power, if any, the "essence" has over the person it is possessing.

Unless I am mistaken, Tarecgosa's soul is only imbued to the player directly momentarily, because then you need to build the actual staff, and her soul inhabits the item instead. With regards to turning INTO her, I don't really read much into it outside of it simply releases her soul's power to transform you, but that doesn't really mean that her soul is now inhabiting your body permanently.

Regardless, this still brings up the fact of what CAN an "essence" do in another body, and the answer to that is we just do not know, because there is no lore for it (At least in this case of "essences" inhabiting bodies peacefully, and not forcefully).

In a small tangent of my own: I fully expect Arygos to be a boss in Cataclysm, seeing as he's allied with Deathwing, and manages to survive when Kalecgos and Tarecgosa expose him for being a traitor and flees.

Last I checked, they had an orange color and are marked in most databases as "legendary". There is a difference between fact and opinion - and I'm just speaking facts.

Just to do a quick check, I looked at the achievements for the guilds in the top 50 raid progression who did not have a heroic achievement (we'll just presume if the guilds can beat heroic Halfus, they can get Shadowmourne). So, between the #32 to #50 slot, only 1 guild had the Shadowmourne achievement. While that isn't proof that they a member of a guild doesn't have a Shadowmourne - I think it's safe to presume that if they put the effort in for the axe, they'd put effort it in to be honored with their guild.

So, in conclusion to my feeding of the trivial point to someone who loves this sort of food - not everyone has Shadowmourne. So, not everyone will get Dragonwrath. Just like how not everyone has Val'anyr or everyone has the Warglaives of Azzinoth or everyone has Thori'dal the Star's Fury or everyone has Sulfurus (old version) or Thunderfury. While many will get it ... the number is still going to be such a small number, even for a community of the Gazette's size; much less server size.

Again, it won't be no At'iesh or Ashbringer - but you aren't going to see every mage, warlock, elemental shaman, moonkin druid, and giggling feral tank walking the streets of Orgrimmar and Stormwind pew pewing themselves in dragon form.

The staff will be rare enough to be exclusive... but may be common enough that an RPer (either part of this community or not) will snag it and give us some quality eye candy for reading.

Not everyone cares about the pointless 'legendary' achievement that does nothing but give your guild points and exp (Something that doesn't matter by the time you hit 25). Not everyone is going to go back and do wrath, not every Cata guild is full of wrath raiders, and not everyone who is playing cata is playing the same characters they raided as last expansion. There's a lot of reasons WHY guilds don't have the achievement, prime of which a lot of people just didn't put the effort in to get the damn thing. I didn't, so I didn't get it. If I had farmed the gold to buy all the saronite, I could have easily finished the quest while I was raiding with medellin. But I can name off the top of my head ten people on TN who got the damn thing. I remember when Lykourgos got the damn thing (he used to run with medellin with me), he linked it and got all cocky, and then stopped using the damn thing just to troll his new guild.

I think, if you worked hard to get the Legendary, you should be able to use it in RP. The Male--Female soul thing is a little odd, I'll give you that. I don't think it makes you a dragon, either. I think it lets you turn into one, maybe gives you a few of their powers. And, maybe the staff doesn't give you complete control over the arcane, but maybe it will enhance the users magic. I really have no clue.

And, I just spent about 8 weeks trying to get the shards for Shadowmourne. Unless you are in a 25 man raiding guild with people eager to hit ICC 25 Heroic every freaking week? It's still a bit of a challenge. Not everyone will get the item. If you put in the huge amounts of time like I did, yeah, you can. I've also spent six weeks going for Sulfuras. That one was fun. You still don't see alot of people using that. I also have one of the Warglaives. It doesn't feel Legendary. It was a drop. I killed Illidan. Woo. I got a nice roll. That doesn't even seem like it should be Orange.

Either way. If you have fun Roleplaying with your Legendary you worked hard to get, and the people you Roleplay with are fine with it, I don't see why you shouldn't use it. If someone else comes along with it and you both had the same plan, maybe then you could just talk about it.

The problem with RPing being THE owner of it is the same old argument.

You're not THE owner, there are multiple people who owned it. For every single type of Legendary out there, there is no established wielder in the lore, so you cannot establish yourself as THE wielder. You worked hard for particular legendary? So did other people. So you're the only owner and they are not? That argument is nonsensical.

You're not THE owner, there are multiple people who owned it. For every single type of Legendary out there, there is no established wielder in the lore [...]

Except for Sulfuras.

And I think it's fine to RP using the model of the weapon, but claiming it to be from X and being able to do Y is a bit lore-breaking.

Maybe she just shifts bodies as she feels is needed or when someone transforms into dragon form? (Until, of course, every Tom, Dick, and Harry have one >_< )

Of course, if you're a male toon just....don't go in the bathroom when she's watching. Just don't. >_>

My impression of legendary weapons is that, as far as lore goes, there's only supposed to be one that exists. At least in most cases. But, because many players will own the same legendary I believe this allows some creative liberties on part of the owner for rp. If you want to play up the gender-blender aspect of a male becoming a girl dragon, that's entirely up to you. I'm personally waiting for a day when Liyint gets girly-fied via transporter malfunction. ;p

I'll admit I'm not terribly familiar with dragon lore. I'm not sure what possessing a blue dragon's essence entails (though 'essence' seems synonymous with 'soul'), but I figure it's open to interpretation. Having a blue dragon's access of magic would likely make you incredibly powerful. And, the staff would be very useful for rp'ing a blue dragon. Naturally, all the caution involved when playing either a dragon or a super-powerful character should be understood. I personally don't mind rp'ing with either as long as the dragon/demi-god in question is good at rp'ing, but I'm sure you'd be responsible enough. ;)

I wish you luck in achieving this weapon! I haven't bothered much to research this weapon, but does this dragon form allow for a rider as well?

] I haven't bothered much to research this weapon, but does this dragon form allow for a rider as well?

Nope, no rider on this one. But it -is- bigger than the average drake!

Im still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with it RPwise when I get it, because to the best of my knowledge i'm either the only really established RPer in the community that is getting it, or at least that I'm the farthest along. Ill be getting staff part 1 tonight, actually!

As much as my Mary-sue alarm goes off when I think about it, dragon essences do have some degree of transformative property. Take Maloriak, for example, who was infused with the essences of black drakes by Nefarian's order to turn him from a brilliant yet slightly bumbling human mage to the massive dragonkin-esque thing he is today (Its in the encounter journal). And considering that the quest line explicitly states at the end that having tarecgosa's essence is sufficient to allow the player entrance into an exclusively blue-dragon-only party, It may be reasonable enough to progress to the conclusion that at that point and beyond, the player is considered part of the blue dragonflight (but not a true dragon, obviously >>)

Are you debating on whether you want Duro in the blue dragon club? My impression of the blue flight is that they carry the torch for being the slight bit 'nutso' dragonflight. But, I'm only really familiar with Malygos and Azuregos. I'm not sure how prevalent madness actually is in the rest of the flight.

Blizz does seem to play with the idea that magic can cause mild insanity in the user after awhile. It definitely seems to be the case for many warlocks. As far as 'character thematic' goes for Duro, I could see him having something of a love/hate relationship with the blues. Achieving the staff could certainly be a power upgrade for the character, and I think that's generally the sort of fear people have with Mary-sue-ism. If it came with a draw back then it could balance out. And, drawbacks can be a lot of fun. :)

Like, by ingratiating himself with the blue often requires that he run certain errands or achieve strange tasks at their behest. It could add extra stress to an already difficult scenario or just come off as mildly annoying.

*Random blue contacts Duro in his mind*

Blue: Duroxas. What are you doing right now?

Duro: Participating in joyful maritals with my wife. What do you want.

Blue: The Argents have built a new statue to Tirion at Light's Hope. We need you to knock it over.

Duro: WHAT?

Blue: Before sunrise. Thanks!

Duro: T_T