Sign in to follow this  
King Mrgrl

The true threat...

Quickly, Mrgl'thek called his spider to come back to him. Seconds passed, and it didn't come back. Frantically, he rushed down on the spider mount, looking for his pet. He found it, half-buried under a few Murlocs, Mrglrelgr barely alive. He quickly cast a Mend Pet, and commanded it to eat the body of one of the fallen ((Carrion Feeder)), after removing the weapons and armor from it. He set the weapons and armor aside for any who needed it.

The Murloc army was quick to recover. They reformed the ranks atop their spiders and took up their sheilds and arms. The King put the amulet around his neck, feeling a surge of power with the magical artifact. He urged his spider over, and took the skull of the Ascendant, stabbing it on one of the spines of his shoulderplates. He looked more menacing, with a giant skull on his shoulder. They rode quickly down the mountain pass, heading East, towards Deadwind Pass. They took a back route through the forests, avoiding the Alliance town--They wouldn't understand the mission--And came to the border with dusty, decaying Deadwind. The tower of Karazhan loomed in the distance. The scuttling of spiders could be heard. A corpse, arms removed, hanging over a sign that reads "All who pass here are damned..."

The easy part of their journey was over. The hard part had begun.

Mrgl'thek rode alongside the rest of the army, carrying the injured spider in his arms, bow strapped onto his back. With each passing second he tended to it's wounds, until finally it was fully healed, no sign of injury remaining.

Libelle clanked along a dust-choked road in Westfall, aching for a drink of water. She hadn’t thought to bring any along with her. Her constant companion and battle-chicken, Spockbock, raced along the road in front of her, all too aware of the danger involved, and casting Libelle frequent derisive glances. She knew it was dangerous, of course, and had come prepared with a disguise—a pair of heavy dark glasses and a head scarf wrapped tightly over the crown of her head. The scarf scrunched her ears uncomfortably down against her head, but at least it disguised their shape. Mostly.

The problem was, some of her Blood Knight training struck her as unspeakably brutal. And she felt that she needed to atone for it. She continued telling herself that it was worth it to be of some help to her cousin, Exanimo, and becoming a skilled healer would allow her to do some great good in the end. But for now she could barely fix a wounded squirrel, and she felt called to make up for her sins by heading into enemy territory and leaving lavish gift baskets on people’s doorsteps.

It seemed logical.

She had one last gift basket to deliver, and had her eye on a farmhouse shimmering at her dustily from a mile or two down the road. She was so focused on her goal that she nearly stepped right into the horrific dismembered corpse of an old murloc.

It was Spockbock’s warning squawk which saved her. She looked down, her plated boot poised for her next step, and shrieked. Her hands flew to her mouth, and she very nearly dropped her gift basket. The murloc’s corpse was mangled and stinking, and beginning to buzz with flies.

“Oh, Spockbock,” Libelle whispered. “I think it was run over.”

Spockbock clucked.

After a lengthy, horrified stare, Libelle managed to dislodge her gaze from the corpse, and direct it towards the broad trail of murloc footprints leading across the road.

“Do you know what we should do, Spockbock?” she said, her voice hushed respectfully.

Spockbock pecked at the ground.

“We should take my last basket to his family.” She reluctantly looked back down at the bloody mess in front of her. “But first, we should give him a funeral.”

Spockbock gave her a beady look. If chickens could sigh, he would have.

"...'I wish for something to eat!'

But he looked all around,

There was naught to be found,

Save for rotten old meat.

'I know what I'll do,

I'll make something new!

Something not bitter,

But sweet!'

So he pulled out his rod,

Gave it a stroke,

And thrust it out at the sea

Then from the tip

Sprung the very first fish

And the rest is history," Willard sang as he fished. After a round of "The Old Man and the Sea," he was certain the fish would be biting, but all he'd managed to catch was an old boot. He had hoped that Deadwind Pass would allow him to fish away from the public eye, but after several hours without any bites, he doubted that there were any fish here at all. His buzz was beginning to fade as he packed away his fishing gear. Captain Rumsey's Lager was a welcome addition to every fishing trip he took, and he took a large swig from his flask before packing it away with the rod. It was a long walk back to Duskwood, then a flight up to Stormwind, and he'd be damned if he was going to be sober for any of it. With all of his things packed, he concentrated for a moment, and turned into a bear. He tromped his way up the path to Duskwood when he heard some strange noises up the road. He sniffed for a moment, then sat down, confused.

He smelled... murlocs?

Willard became a panther and stealthily prowled up the path a little ways. He couldn't believe his eyes.

There were murlocs riding spiders up the road. He shook his head and looked again.

There were murlocs riding spiders up the road.

"What, by the tits of Elune, is that? I... I have to see this," he thought, and began to follow the murlocs.

They marched. Across hellish lands, dead places, dark, deep forests...They marched. King Mrgrl reached a hand down to rub the head of his spider as they moved along. One of his Scouts had run ahead, and quickly came back bearing a message. King Mrgrl listened with an eyebrow raised as the scout told tails of a large Orge fighting off spiders, and his cries for help. "We shall go and aid him. Lead the way, Scout!" And as quick as that, the Noble King and his men moved out, riding East across the pass.

Every now and then, a spider above would try to grab or claw at them. There were huge arches of stone with poisonous spiders hanging from webbing...Some were dodged, others dispatched with shields or spears. They cross the giant stone bridges without fear, even though some were shaky and had huge drops that would instantly kill any murloc. The King thought he heard the sounds of the struggling Ogre when a Carrion bird swooped down and tried to grab him! His spider shot a silky web at it, and it fell, wings closed, down, down, into the cavern deeps. There was a distant "Squawk" followed by a "Thud" as the Bird hit.

When they rounded the next bend, the King saw a curious sight. And that's coming from a Murloc King riding a Spider. There was a ring of corpses, mostly Ogres and spiders, around a towering two headed brute. He had some of the strange magical gear of Ogri'la (Though the murlocs had no idea what that was), a huge club in one hand, a staff in the other. Spiders continued to charge at him, bite his flesh, claw at him, but he would cast spells and burn them or freeze them. He was pinned down..."Ready your Arms. We are going to save this man." The Murloc King ordered. He raised his staff, and his men raised shields and swords. The Murloc army charged the dark army of spiders...

The breeze lightly tossed the young woman's hair about, as she crossed the land of Westfall. The young woman wore priest clothing, and had long, flowing gold hair. Her eyes were an odd sight; a pale silver.

How much longer until Sentinel Hill? Maybe I should not have torn up that map in rage because a gnoll stole part of my food... She mused drearily to herself.

Who would have thought such a sweet-looking woman could have such a foul temper? And an even fouler motivation. The woman trudged on, thinking to herself, when...

Murlocs. Crossing the road. She was a ways away from them, so she was in no danger of them spotting her. But still... She noticed one of the murlocs had a run-in with something big, and got completely smashed by it. I guess that's why the murloc didn't want to cross the road...

Curiousity gripped her, and she felt nearly compelled to follow. A voice whispered in her mind, "Go with caution." She smiled to herself, and made sure her invisability potions were handy just in case she nearly gets found out. She then proceeded to follow the murlocs at a great distance.

And follow she did.

War. It sickened the King. Blood flew everywhere...Entrails...Good men, dying. He roared, going into a berserker rage, cleaving spiders with his mighty weapons. The Ogre was confused by the Murlocs for a few moments...But he quickly recovered, helping them in their battle. Spiders crawled from all over the rocks, everything seemed to move...They dropped from above, wrapping about good, proud Soldiers, killing them with deadly poisons...

The King looked up for a moment, directly into eight eyes, mouth spread apart, fangs ready to--His spear jabbed into the things maw, cutting through it. He swung his spear, the corpse breaking off, falling lifeless. King Mrgrl leaped from his mount, hurling his spear at one of the spiders. He quickly grabbed the sword of a fallen comrade, hacking limbs away.

The battle was over, with hundreds upon hundreds (Really, just about five Murlocs and ten spiders) of casualties on both sides... He eyed the Ogre. "We have risked much to save you--" He began.

"I had them." Interupted the Ogre. He scoffed. "Pathetic lower aquatic creatures think they are smarter than I, Orgruul, the Third, Scholar of Ogrila and Grand Magus!" He looked serious.

"I have no idea what you said. But we are battling evil. Fighting the darkness. Saving our world. Will you join us?" He smiled. The Ogre nodded. "Yes. A Noble and Wise cause, King."

"What has your plan been so far?" One of the Murlocs shouted. "TO KILL THE EVIL ONE!!!" The rest took up the chant. "Who...Is this evil one?" Asked the Ogre. The King frowned. "She-Who-Could-But-It-Would-Be-Best-If-She-Was-Not-Named." A few Murlocs shivered. "As strong as the Gronn, as Sinister as a Black Dragon? I have faced many hardships! Orgruul shall join your band, and together, we shall become heroes!"

The Murloc Armies rode, victorious. The King looked over his shoulder at the corpses of good men. Strong soldiers...He turned, and guided his troops into the Swamp of Sorrows.

The woman could barely hold in her laughter as she witnessed the combat.

Murlocs. Fighting spiders. Hilarious! Though... she was curious as to who this evil they were babbling about -She mostly knows murloc, although from time to time her translation of the fish people language is not sound. Bare jists were good enough.

As the murlocs marched on, so did she in calmer, quieter steps. Still far away, but close enough for there to be a confrontation if one of the 'warriors' had enough brains to actually search around...

Then again, what is an adventure without a little danger?

"Scouts. Report." The King eyed his warriors. He smiled. All were trained well, and could run fast, even in their heavy armor. Perfect Soldiers. "My liege. There are many beasts in the Marsh. The Horde and Alliance battle to the North East over the port. But there is one safe path that may be able to avoid them, and much of the Swamp. We'll have one obstacle."

"Oh?" Obstacle? Pah! They were MURLOCS! The strongest, greatest warriors of all time! "What is it, then?" The Scout blinked. "It's...It's..." "Out with it, boy!" "It's a...Dragon. A Black one." "A Black Dragon, eh? No match for us." The King shouted a few orders, and the Murlocs and their Spiders surged into the marsh, the Ogre mage following on foot. They rode along the stone path, staying clear of the dark, scary marsh on either side. The King barely heard his Scout as he stood, shaking...A coward. "It's...THE Black Dragon..." The King frowned. He...They would keep going. Surely, it was a lie. And if it was truth, they would slay it, for he is but a pawn of the Evil.

The Spiders sped along, turning into a more open area. They looked North, watching the struggles of Man and Orc, seeing cannons fly and men die. Right as Stonard came into their sight, the sky began to turn...

The woman kept up her pace as well.

While she didn't bother to listen to what the murlocs were saying, she did look at the fighting between the Alliance and Horde.

All of them... will fall...

The sky turned red. The Murlocs stopped for the briefest of moments to make sure their suspicions were true. And they were. In the sky was a floating fireball, a collosal abomination of metal, scales, and flame. The beast was massive, nearly the size of a small town...Deathwing, the Destroyer roared as his maw bellowed flame. "THE SUN HAS SET ON THIS MORTAL WORLD, FOOLS! MAKE PEACE WITH YOUR END, FOR THE HOUR OF TWILIGHT FALLS!" Fire launched about the area, slamming into Alliance and Horde. Deathwing flew slowly towards them, taking his time in scorching the earth. "FLEE, FLEE!" The Murlocs sped their Spiders onwards, the Ogre mage blinking along with them. "AIEEEEEEE!" Screamed one of them as fire hit his spider and then the unlucky rider fell over. The King shouted "Archers! Fire!" A few Murlocs launched arrows at the Dragon as their spiders sped along. Clearly, they did massive damage as the beast retaliated for, of course, them. He was sent to kill them. They were the most important people here. Spikes of magma burst from the ground as the Aspect of Death continued his horrific assault...

And then it was over. They ran up the path into the Blasted Lands. Looking back at the flame...The King grinned. "See that, Men? Proof we are the greatest fighters ever. He dares not cross into this zone, for fear of our Arrows. We are the Superior fighters!" He shouted. "Murlocs!" And they cheered. The Ogre was about to say something, but stopped. The party set off South, into the Fel and Fire claimed lands that were once a part of the Swamp.

((For anyone concerned we used Deathwing, it's a silly thread. Talking Ogres and Fish-Men on Spiders...You shoulda expected it. >:o))

The woman couldn't contain her insane laughter when she saw Deathwing destroying everything, and the murlocs fleeing away.

She shouted mockingly at the dragon, "What? Did you decide to stoop this low as to attack small units of the Alliance and Horde? WEAK." Although she wasn't sure if the dragon heard her, she was slightly concerned that the murlocs and ogre did, so she slipped a hand into her bag, took out an invisibility potion, and drank it. Now not noticable by those who cannot see what cannot be seen, she quickly followed the band of fish heroes as they ran away 'bravely'.

Hypocrite...

With the roaring flame and sound of their clinking armor, the Murlocs, weary, didn't hear her as they marched farther. "King! Perhaps it is time for a brief rest!" One of the Soldier's shouted. "Nay! We draw near our goal, Brothers! Onwards!" The King shouted. The Murlocs nodded, continuing along the road Southeast. Lightning flared around as they neared the portal, and Demon patrols were in the hills around them.

A large Infernal, Jim, was wandering around. Crushing make me happy, he thought. Crush little one's. Big Demon's like me when I crush. He smiled. He was going to head home after making all of these new friends, to his Wife, and three Sons. The Infernal searched for little ones. He kicked a stone, and it hurled into the air, flying away like a missile. Jim wish he had more friends. More little friends. Not always about crushing. Jim Dad tell him that. Jim just want frien-- "RAAAAAAAAAAAH!" Jim roared as something stabbed his leg.

The Murlocs were riding South, seeing the Ocean on the horizon to their East, when a rock slammed into one of the Soldier's, slamming through his head like a meteor. At first, the Murlocs took cover, but then they noticed the Infernal. "Chaaarge!" Their King shouted, slashing at the Infernal's legs. The roar was frightening, but the weapons took off the leg, and the Demon stumbled. Unable to stand with one leg, he fell over, feeling a thud on his chest.

It over. This it. Me crush little ones. No make friends. This my punishment. He looked at his chest, seeing a Murloc clad in Armor. "Hail. I am King Mrgrl. And I am slaying you today."

The sword broke through the back of the Infernal's head, and Jim the only happy infernal died.

The Murlocs didn't celebrate the victory. The Demon's showed how tainted this land was. They headed South-East, up a pass over looking the ruins of many ships.

Finally reaching the top of the cliffs, the King looked...And saw three Murlocs sitting beneath an Umbrella. He opened his eyes wide.

The woman made sure to keep pace... And witnessed the murlocs kill an infernal. Well... if they actually died. Maybe they just get destroyed... Is that the same thing?

That was just luck.

She continued to follow the murlocs -More carefully than before, for her potion had wore out by the time they destroyed the abomination. She made sure she got into a spot where she can still view them without being caught. And then she waited.

"Chieftain." The King said, looking at the other Murloc, eyes narrowing. "King..." They stared at each other for a few moments. "Why have you come to -my- lands!" "Your lands are now inhabited by Demons, Naga, and Spirits!" The King spat. "Have you any idea what caused them!"

The Chieftain of the Blasted Land Murlocs shivered. "No...No!" He said in a small, scared voice. "Yes...It's her. Does it send a chill up your spine! We have united, and we are bringing her down! Will you join us?"

"I...I would...But we're all that's left. The Naga captured the rest of us, down on the Beach."

"Then let's go liberate some Murlocs!" The King raised his weapon, and the small Army charged down the Hill.

The woman couldn't help but giggle as the murlocs raced off to 'liberate' other murlocs. She soon followed the fish creatures, and ogre, as they charged valiantly down the hill.

The Naga were fierce opponents, and the fact that they couldn't hit their Enslaved Brothers in the crossfire made the combat difficult for the Murlocs. Swinging swords and spears, they battled the huge Naga, blood seeping into the crimson sand of the beach. The Ogre mage ended being one of their greatest Assets, able to counter the Naga Magi with spells of his own, frying them in their spells. The King ran about, yelling his battle cry, swinging his sword at the Naga's long tails or outstretched arms.

Corpses fell all around, the casualties heavy on both sides, until the King managed to take a key off one of the Naga, and began to free the chained Murlocs. They helped fight back, taking weapons off the dead. Eventually, the Murloc army swelled with the new additions, and the King led them up the hill. All in all, they suffered fifteen casualties and gained thirty new Murlocs. The band began to make their way up the road, back towards the Dark Portal.

The Murlocs traveled the road. As they went along, the King began to smile. He recalled all of the good times on their long journey, and all of the new Allies they had made. Ha! He thought. Murlocs were expected to sit in their little camps, doing nothing but being vermin. And here he was, the greatest Hero of all of Azeroth! Soon, they would all see, Murlocs are people too! The King rode a little faster than the rest of his men, filled with anticipation.

He looked forward at the ancient stone and swirling green magic of the Dark Portal. The Alliance and Horde that guarded it had a few camps in the valley nearbye, but they let anyone through. Except the massive Demons on the other side.

The King dismounted, and sent his spider away. He waddled up the stone ramp, to stand at the top, and began to adress his Army.

"My fellow Murlocs! This is one small step for Murloc, one giant leap for Murlockind!" The King saluted with his spear, then jumped through the portal.

He felt nausea for a moment, never feeling such ripping, tearing, and quick movement. Magic was an odd thing, the King thought to himself, as he appeared in Outland. His vision began to clear, and he looked out at Hellfire.

The Army stood near their King, looking around in awe. A reddish landscape, like the Blasted Lands...But, the road there! It was made of bones! There were floating chunks of rock, and he looked at the Ocean...No, there was no Ocean. No water. The world seemed to merely fall off...In the distance, he could see Orc Demolishers and Human Sentinal Towers, as well as two of their towns. He looked around, the size of the portal making him dizzy. It was far smaller on the other end. Here, it seemed to go up into the sky.

He turned, looking down before him. A massive set of stairs, at the bottom, a few Alliance and Horde Guards. Constant waves of Demons charged the Heroes, coming from portals farther down the road. A massive Demon, looking like a Whale with legs and fangs, called out orders. A few of his Allies ran forward, these looked like Sharks. They had fangs and were swift, with claws and massive axes. The Demons were endless, but the Heroes never stopped fighting, never gave in to fear.

As he looked up, he saw more of the Demons, as well as rays of light and, he realized, pure magic, flowing across the shattered sky. A few planets were near, and as he saw the Maelstrom, he knew that one was Azeroth. Home...It was so close. He turned, to look at the Portal. Then he looked at the hellish nightmare before him.

But so far away.