maurdakar

New Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Trailer

Definitely looking forward to it :) The graphics of the latest games this year look really stellar. Guess DX 11 is finally going to take off how DX 10 was supposed to.

Oh my god, I thought already that the trailer with just the choirs and Bethesda's dragon language was awesome, and the dudes voice too. Now that just made it more epic, seriously got chills first time I watched it. At the part where the guy is recovering from the dragons fire and the narrator is like Dragonborn! and he says something in either Nord or Dragon language and it does that shockwave...yeah I need pants too

I... I don't understand the hype over these games.

Sure, I enjoyed Fallout and Morrowind, but I wouldn't buy them if I didn't run out of other, better, games.

I'm disenchanted with Bethesda. It's less like I'm a hero in their games, and more like I'm trapped in a realm of repetitive dialogue and CONSTANT EYE CONTACT, MOTHERFUCKER.

Naturally, I spend the entire game slaughtering all the innocents.

EDIT: And the combat is boring as hell.

Its about the same as hype about Halo, MassEffect, Dragon Age, The Old Republic, even WarCraft. There is no difference at all.

It sounds like they're changing combat ALOT in this one, can't wait to be able to hack with a sword, then blast faces with a lightning at point blank.

Its about the same as hype about Halo, MassEffect, Dragon Age, The Old Republic, even WarCraft. There is no difference at all.

It sounds like they're changing combat ALOT in this one, can't wait to be able to hack with a sword, then blast faces with a lightning at point blank.

No, no, no, I mean why do people like these so much when there are much better games, like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Old Republic and even War--no, I'm not sure I can call WoW a better game than "The Elder Scrolls."

No, no, no, I mean why do people like these so much when there are much better games, like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Old Republic and even War--no, I'm not sure I can call WoW a better game than "The Elder Scrolls."

Because they're on the same level. I totally get not enjoying Morrowind or Oblivion (its totally fine, I dislike Dragon Age myself). There is no 'better game' against another. Oblivion has a very nice and diverse story, amazing graphics (albeit, minus the faces), a world were you can move around freely (I wanted Dragon Age to have more of a sandbox feel to it), great voice acting, music, a whole bunch of stuff. Plus, its a game in a very old franchise, which will have fans coming back depending on the original game they played (I started with Arena and Redfall AGES ago).

Hype is hype, and isn't a good judge of a game. It can either overplay or underplay a games worth, I'd suggest giving it a chance, Bethesda is a good company that listens to its consumers fairly well. The graphics ALONE of what I've seen so far, have me hooked. So far, the story? Not so much, but we'll see. I'll probably play it like I normally do. First run plays through the main story line all the way, with almost no side tracking, and after that? The skies the limit! I could be a mage thief! Or I could be a High Elven swordsmen!

Comparing Bioware games to Bethesda games is like comparing apples to avocados. They're two entirely different things.

You can't really say that Mass Effect or Dragon Age are better than Morrowind and Oblivion because as far as the RP realm is concerned, they are ENTIRELY different.

Bioware games are typically linear RPGs (and don't even try and tell me that it isn't linear because you can pick which planet/(instanced linearly structured area) you want to go to first) with a heavy focus on character and plot development, and cinematic experience. It's like watching a movie that you control, and the combat is focused on being fun, and casualized. Which is actually not a problem because Bioware is damn good at that sort-of game.

Bethesda games are (as far as I know) all vast open RPGs that put a focus on the immersion of the player into the environment. You play from a first person perspective in a massive open world where it's very possible that some random fucking monster is going to come tear your dick off at level 5. I can't really speak for Oblivion or Fallout 3, as my experiences with those games have been mostly heavily modded to enhance the immersion and "hardmode" status, but Morrowind still pretty much rings in my head as my first, and best real ORPG experience. Just remembering coming off that boat and having that dude pretty much leave me with a few gold and "You can do whatever you want, but you should go to Balmora. It's north" (btw, the map in that game was actually a physical map that came in the box) and remembering how hopelessly overwhelmed I felt, and how scared I was on my first walk through the night to Balmora... I'm stopping now because I'll go on forever, but I can just say that Bioware has NEVER made me feel immersed into any of their game's environments like Morrowind did.

Anyways, yes. I am a Bethesda fanboy, and yes: I am defending Bethesda, but overall I think any statement saying that Bioware games are better than Bethesda and vice versa is completely silly (and entirely objective, but that much is obvious) because they are so completely different, and I'm pretty sure that some of the people here I know who enjoy Bioware more (Diomades for instance) would agree with me on that general point.

Skyrim is going to be awesome. You might not like that kind of game, and it is okay for you to feel as such, but I and so many other people are going to enjoy the fuck out of it.

Comparing Bioware games to Bethesda games is like comparing apples to avocados. They're two entirely different things.

You can't really say that Mass Effect or Dragon Age are better than Morrowind and Oblivion because as far as the RP realm is concerned, they are ENTIRELY different.

Bioware games are typically linear RPGs (and don't even try and tell me that it isn't linear because you can pick which planet/(instanced linearly structured area) you want to go to first) with a heavy focus on character and plot development, and cinematic experience. It's like watching a movie that you control, and the combat is focused on being fun, and casualized. Which is actually not a problem because Bioware is damn good at that sort-of game.

Bethesda games are (as far as I know) all vast open RPGs that put a focus on the immersion of the player into the environment. You play from a first person perspective in a massive open world where it's very possible that some random fucking monster is going to come tear your dick off at level 5. I can't really speak for Oblivion or Fallout 3, as my experiences with those games have been mostly heavily modded to enhance the immersion and "hardmode" status, but Morrowind still pretty much rings in my head as my first, and best real ORPG experience. Just remembering coming off that boat and having that dude pretty much leave me with a few gold and "You can do whatever you want, but you should go to Balmora. It's north" (btw, the map in that game was actually a physical map that came in the box) and remembering how hopelessly overwhelmed I felt, and how scared I was on my first walk through the night to Balmora... I'm stopping now because I'll go on forever, but I can just say that Bioware has NEVER made me feel immersed into any of their game's environments like Morrowind did.

Anyways, yes. I am a Bethesda fanboy, and yes: I am defending Bethesda, but overall I think any statement saying that Bioware games are better than Bethesda and vice versa is completely silly (and entirely objective, but that much is obvious) because they are so completely different, and I'm pretty sure that some of the people here I know who enjoy Bioware more (Diomades for instance) would agree with me on that general point.

Skyrim is going to be awesome. You might not like that kind of game, and it is okay for you to feel as such, but I and so many other people are going to enjoy the fuck out of it.

Out of all of that, all I have to say is: don't you mean subjective?

No, that's not all I have to say.

My experience is the exact opposite. I almost CAN'T get immersed in a Bethesda RPG. The story doesn't intrigue me because I don't care about the characters. Yes, my character is (usually) a fantasy version of me, but nothing would happen if I didn't go out of my way to make it happen. You talk to a few villagers, find out there's a cult attacking the town, or slavers, or something, but you won't encounter them unless you go looking for it. It's nice, in a way, because in real life, greatness (or anything else) isn't going to just THRUST itself onto you (like it does in a Bioware RPG), but I feel like nothing is going to happen unless I MAKE it happen.

However, I will say this: Bethesda's worlds are AWESOME. I spent hours playing Fallout 3. Then I was level 20 and I had found everything interesting on the map and I was done with the game.

New pants please.

No one builds a better world, and gives you more freedom in that world than Bethesda. No one writes better than Bioware and as such their characters are great and so is the dialogue and story. Bethesda has said they have learned through watching and intend more intense personalities and promised better dialogue. They also have always kept a close eye on their communities particularly mod communities. There is also supposedly going to be a newer better combat system in this game for the casuals which is stupid because they should just make the controls bloody hard, and good, like Mount and Blade.

It's nice, in a way, because in real life, greatness (or anything else) isn't going to just THRUST itself onto you (like it does in a Bioware RPG), but I feel like nothing is going to happen unless I MAKE it happen.

Totally agree, and I guess it comes largley down to preference.

I cant even begin Ryoku, I just can't. Your practically bringing tears to my eyes. Some people have poems or movies or paintings or books or works of art that have helped definitivly shape them into who they are today. I suffer no embarassment saying that at twelve years old, Morrowind was that definitive experience.

Oh my god' date=' I thought already that the trailer with just the choirs and Bethesda's dragon language was awesome, and the dudes voice too. Now that just made it more epic, seriously got chills first time I watched it. At the part where the guy is recovering from the dragons fire and the narrator is like Dragonborn! and he says something in either Nord or Dragon language and it does that shockwave...yeah I need pants too[/quote']

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.257586-Elder-Scrolls-V-Similar-to-Mega-Man-With-Dragons

Dragon-shouts, kill a dragon, get a power, to kill more dragons.

But also

"Nords consider themselves to be the children of the sky. They call Skyrim the Throat of the World, because it is where the sky exhaled on the land and formed them. They see themselves as eternal outsiders and invaders, and even when they conquer and rule another people; they feel no kinship with them. The breath and the voice are the vital essence of a Nord. When they defeat great enemies they take their tongues as trophies. These are woven into ropes and can hold speech like an enchantment. The power of a Nord can be articulated into a shout, like the kiai of an Akaviri swordsman. The strongest of their warriors are called "Tongues." When the Nords attack a city, they take no siege engines or cavalry; the Tongues form in a wedge in front of the gatehouse, and draw in breath. When the leader lets it out in a kiai, the doors are blown in, and the axemen rush into the city. Shouts can be used to sharpen blades or to strike enemies. A common effect is the shout that knocks an enemy back, or the power of command. A strong Nord can instill bravery in men with his battle-cry, or stop a charging warrior with a roar. The greatest of the Nords can call to specific people over hundreds of miles, and can move by casting a shout, appearing where it lands."

From http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Nord

I remember reading about this in the Blood Moon xpac for morrowwind. So damn giddy its finally manifesting in game.

Did you finish Oblivion, Vyn? I think you might have missed some of the grander aspects of the main storyline from later on. But your view is completely legitimate, but it sounds like its more personal preference (still legit), than the 'fault' of the game.

Like for example, I HATED how in Dragon Age, you HAD to do some things (your 'thrust' analogy works, hubba hubba), with little thought of variance of how those events would play out (other than you class/background start up). I just have a large personal preference on a sandbox aspect of RPG's.

New pants please.

No one builds a better world, and gives you more freedom in that world than Bethesda. No one writes better than Bioware and as such their characters are great and so is the dialogue and story.

I'd have to disagree with this, as much as I enjoy Bioware games.

Baldur's Gate is in the realm of sappy nostalgia, so the story still remains amazing in my heart. Same with KOTOR. Dragon Age and Mass Effect however are near copies of each other in terms of character and plot development.

Shepard - Spectre. Bad ass soldier who doesn't play by the rules and has clearance to anything he wants. Restricted space? I'm the goddamn Batman.

Dragon Age Protagonist - Grey Warden. Bad ass soldier who doesn't play by the rules and has clearance to anything he wants. That area locked up? I drank Darkspawn blood. That dude about to get executed? He's coming with me, Grey Warden conscription.

Saren/Logain, the main "mortal" antagonists are both war heroes who can't be guilty of any sort of crime, and constantly undermine the heroes journey throughout the game.

I'd draw more references about Wrex/Shale but I'm just delving into fanatical ranting now.

Hey, just because they're copies doesn't mean that they're bad.

And dammit, you're right. I just wish you hadn't said it, now everyone knows.

DAMN YOU, THALARIOS! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

I really liked that you could kill anyone in Fallout New Vegas (including quest NPCs). Nothing annoyed me more than being unable to kill...

Reaver from Fable 2/3. (I'M THE KING GOD DAMMIT, I CAN HAVE ANYONE KILLED!)

Carth from Kotor as soon as he started whining about his family.

Ashley from Mass Effect after she shot Wrex.

Atris from Kotor 2 when you first met her on Telos.

And so many others who made me ask: "Why haven't I shot this person yet?" To which I realized... This isn't fallout.

I do not suffer irritating people well, I hope Skyrim will cater to this trait of mine.

It will Rethius. But still no children. Or pregnant women. But raping/pillaging everything else should be fine.

Seeing how this is going to the barbarian/northern/dragon expansion I want:

a)A neutral dragon faction

b)The ability to ride a dragon (will inevitably be modded in)

c)Looting and pillaging mechanic when I raid innocent defenseless hamlets ontop of my mighty dragon mount

And just like that, elder scrolls is ruined forever.

I've never seen a pregnant woman in a video game, save Twilight Princess... Which wasn't an RPG.

I hate not being able to kill children. The best I could do in Fable was kill their parents and then laugh at them. (Which was still somewhat satisfying in its own way.)

I like games like Elder Scrolls and Bioware games, like Ryo I heavily got into Morrowind and I think the only reason I didn't complete the main story do to main quest NPC being dead I believe it was still fun.

Oblivion on the other hand...someone needs to tell me how to play this game bearably, I start off in normal mode and its like I am fricken in hard mode. That first oblivion gate you go through, yeah my sword does crap against the imps and not to mention the fail of dmg spells. I also hear it gets harder as you level since the mobs in the area adjust to your lvl regardless of your stats and equipment. Which brings me to how optimizing feels so insanely like a job and balancing act in that game when I just want to play it. What I mean by that is being able to get +5 in stats and not get shorted from being able achieve max stats by the time you hit level cap. If they allowed for +5 attribute choices without relying on how many points in a skill you got in Skyrim I will be happy. No more having to train +3 block +4 heavy armor +3 repair so your HP can keep up with mobs leveling with you.

Please tell me there is a mod for oblivion that does this for you, or tell me how you got through it so I can better the game for myself. I do find Oblivion fun but tedious and I am hoping Skyrim isn't so hard on the stats/gear to mob stats/gear department.

Vyn: Just one other thing... they have already confirmed conversations work differently in this game. There is no more "locked in" stare at each other dialogue. Guys can talk to you while drinking a pint at the tavern, chopping wood, walking through town, etc etc. Also most of that trailer is not CG, much of it is what the actual gameplay looks like. Lastly the dude shouting is a dragon shout, the whole thing about the Nords is a myth, that is simply a Dragonborn who is using those powers (dragonborn are traditionally Nords IE: Tiber Septim but they don't have to be) as they have already also said there is a dragon shout that lets you teleport.

Rethius: They have already confirmed it is like Morrowind again. If you see it, it can die. Yes you can kill Vecna and screw the entire main plot line if you want. Also while I can't say anything about Dragon riding I have seen an interview where a bethesda rep says that there is a dragon shout that can summon a dragon and forces it to fight with you as a cohort.

PS: it is possible to still complete Morrowind even if you kill two specific NPC's your character just has to be ludicrously powerful to survive the massive damage you will suffer during the final encounter from wearing the broken fist of Lorkhan or whatever it was called.