Aldumraan

The Old Republic

There a date yet on when this game goes F2P till lvl 50? Cuz I'm looking forward to that whenever I'm bored.

No, but a guy I know who still plays has told me the "plan" is in the December-January range.

lol TOR. "It's like Star Wars, but without any of the characters that made the franchise notable." F2P, eh? That was faster than expected.

To be honest, this actually appeals to me. After reading/owning over 100 Star Wars novels, I find these days my favorite things to play/read in Star Wars are things that don't have to do with the Skywalker Dynasty, or Force using and stuff in general. I've been re-reading the X-Wing series, which is full of characters that have nothing to do with the main plot family that the entire Star Wars Movie Galaxy/Extended universe seems to focus around at times.

TOR was fun because you are the hero/villian.

Sort of agree. The Skywalker dynasty can indeed go blow itself; but Imperial entanglements, Jabba's palace, the rebel alliance, the lawless outer rim and huttspace, wookies, twi-leks, sullustans; The Jedi as a once-mighty, mysterious and scattered population of mystics- all of these are core to the Star Wars setting that I love.

Playing in the Star Wars universe thousands of years off the mark, only as near-humans, with some hokey Sith Empire and Jedi Republic is lame.

Imagine if WoW 2.0 was set 3000 years into Azeroth's future; but technology was about the same, Instead of Horde vs Alliance the factions are all shifted and Orcs and Humans fight alongside each other against the twin threats of Sargeras and the last remaining Old God- but you can only play as Humans Dwarves and Gnomes, Elves of any variety aren't even in the game, and the game makes a slight genre shift away from heroic fantasy into horror. (But the classes, major immortal NPCs, and gear is the same).

That's kind of how I feel about a lot of this EU stuff. At best to be entertained and regarded like a 'what if' comic book; which are very occasionally great, (Red Son), and most often rubbish. It isn't star wars, it's something else set in the Star Wars EU. I mean, they missed one of the huge visual motifs that set Star Wars apart in the first place; the used future. They've been screwing that up since the PT. Star wars isn't all polished surfaces,galactically connected holonet, hovering platforms and utopian city-planets. It's broken, dirty, high-and-low tech jury-rigged into a plausible pastiche. Tusken Raiders shoot at your landspeeder with their outdated slugthrowers, Gamorrans wield vibroaxes, You jam a spanner into your hyperspace drive and give it a kick to jump into hyperspace whilst smuggling spice under the nose of the authorities on the kessel run, you physically carry valuable intelligence across the galaxy for lack of a holonet FTP server.

This and so much more. By choosing some bi-factional concocted setting at some arbitrary removed point on the lore timeline they've taken away a lot of the idiosyncratic flavour of the setting itself and made it space alliance versus space horde.

Fear the Space Scourge!

Best part of Star Wars was the incest.

Also, good news to you Therean! I know you really dislike it when people take something way late and try to recapture the magic, something that worked really well with Episode One. Damned masterpiece.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/blog/disney-acquire-lucasfilm

"Fans can expect a new feature film, Star Wars Episode 7, in theaters worldwide in 2015. George Lucas will serve as creative consultant on the film and Kathleen Kennedy, the filmmaker George handpicked to lead Star Wars, Indiana Jones and the rest of Lucasfilm into the future will be the executive producer (she’s also joining Disney as president of Lucasfilm). With this many characters to develop and stories to tell, Disney plans to release a new Star Wars feature film every two or three years for the foreseeable future."

>_> Am I crazy for thinking this is good news? I think Disney could deliver a decent Star Wars experience. The main thing is that George gets sidelined.

This could be a new golden age of quality Star Wars lore.

I've never gotten into the post episode 6 stuff; all the stupid solo/skywalker dynasty shit put me off, as did the Yuuzhan Vong. That said, I have heard Thrawn was great. Still it bothers me that the galaxy didn't disintegrate into an orgy of war after the idiotic rebellion cut the head off the dragon after constitutional, burueacratic governance had been suspended and all power handed to regional governors (read: warlords). There should have been hundreds of others like Thrawn, and no serious successor republic. The rebel alliance might be remembered as terrorists that plunged the galaxy into a new dark age- the jedi as shortsighted fundamentalist templars. Those truly dedicated to the light side would have to keep their tutelage to themselves; subtly applying their skills to alleviate a broken world.

I'd be stoked if they did something between episodes 3-4. There a good 20 years there- fuck the books/EU, retcon it and do it better. Or focus elsewhere. I just love that timeframe- pretty much every Star Wars game I GMed and played in sat snugly in the rise of the empire and birth of the rebellion period. The empire hasn't solidified control over the galaxy yet, so a lot of the outer rim is very 'freeportish'; plenty of straggler fugitive jedis running about not knowing what to do, and pretty much all the iconic tech, locations, older characters and formative plot developments from the OT. The one exception to this was a phenomenal campaign where we were high-minded, noble-intentioned separatists in the Clone Wars; in a similar vein to the browncoats of Firefly.

Mmm, rise of Lord vader and hunting down of the Jedi who escaped the purges; the search for Obi wan and Yoda; how the Hutts and the Black Sun (and other major non-state actors) adjust to the huge reorganisation of power in the core. ^_^

The person in charge of the new movies, at least, has an excellent tra--...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Kennedy_(film_producer)

t-track record...producer...THE LAST AIRBENDER?!?

Also, while she did work on the first three Indiana Jones, she also allowed the fourth to happen.

I hope the world ends in 2012.

To be fair, she has some pretty fine movies on here. I don't know how well she handles others content, though...

Found this.

Q: Does that mean you won't do Episodes VII, VIII and IX?

Lucas: I will not do VII, VIII and IX.

Q: You will not? Will they be made by somebody else?

Lucas: No. They will not.

Q: So this trilogy ends it?

Lucas: This is it. This is all there is.

*giggles*

Well to be fair, she's the producer not the director. All of those movies made a buttload of cash, so she's doing her bit.

Also Lucas wasn't fooling anyone with his "it's over" thing; just like his beard isn't fooling anyone about the prominence of his jawline.

Still it bothers me that the galaxy didn't disintegrate into an orgy of war after the idiotic rebellion cut the head off the dragon after constitutional, burueacratic governance had been suspended and all power handed to regional governors (read: warlords). There should have been hundreds of others like Thrawn, and no serious successor republic. The rebel alliance might be remembered as terrorists that plunged the galaxy into a new dark age- the jedi as shortsighted fundamentalist templars. Those truly dedicated to the light side would have to keep their tutelage to themselves; subtly applying their skills to alleviate a broken world.

Um. It did, and was.

The GCW went on for Eight more years after Palpatine's FIRST death.

Isaard, Zsinj, Thrawn, Daala, Palleon all leaders of the fragmnted empire and there were more. The war got pretty bad before the end, especially when Palpatine's clone showed up and started blowing up entire solar systems with the galaxy gun and flying around in his star destroyer sized death star, the Eclipse.

The Vong era was about six years after the official end of the GCW, when Palleon signed a peace treaty with the New Republic and sealed the Empire off to their little remnanet around Bastion.

Oh and as for the Jedi, by the time NJO wraps up and Legacy era starts, the Jedi are pretty much seen as terrorists, thanks to Han's lovely son Jacen who (SPOILER ALERT ON A FOUR YEAR OLD BOOK) goes all Darth Vader on the Galaxy and splits the Galactic Alliance into two (The successor to the New Republic, following the Yuzahn Vong War), sparking a second Galactic Civil war, which itself sets the stage for the Empire pretty much rising from the ashes and taking the galaxy back due to popular disfavor with how the GA runs things.

Well to be fair, she's the producer not the director. All of those movies made a buttload of cash, so she's doing her bit.

Also Lucas wasn't fooling anyone with his "it's over" thing; just like his beard isn't fooling anyone about the prominence of his jawline.

Directors don't write screenplays, they just "direct'. They tell people where to go, they say cut, and they make damn sure the camera is in the right place. I'm not underselling their importance to how a movie is presented (because the "film" part of a movie is all their job) but the producer sometimes has more to say on what happens in a movie than the director, since they control the money.

Um. It did, and was.

The GCW went on for Eight more years after Palpatine's FIRST death.

Eight whole years? /golfclap. Taking a pangalactic bureaucracy, centralising all authority therin, then wiping out the entire command structure is fall-of-the-roman-empire/centuries-of-aftershock material.

Also, Palpatine and his multiple deaths/clones is another lame thing I hate about the post OT EU.

Isaard, Zsinj, Thrawn, Daala, Palleon all leaders of the fragmnted empire and there were more. The war got pretty bad before the end, especially when Palpatine's clone showed up and started blowing up entire solar systems with the galaxy gun and flying around in his star destroyer sized death star, the Eclipse.

The Vong era was about six years after the official end of the GCW, when Palleon signed a peace treaty with the New Republic and sealed the Empire off to their little remnanet around Bastion.

Yeah I'm familiar.
Directors don't write screenplays, they just "direct'. They tell people where to go, they say cut, and they make damn sure the camera is in the right place. I'm not underselling their importance to how a movie is presented (because the "film" part of a movie is all their job) but the producer sometimes has more to say on what happens in a movie than the director, since they control the money.
Please tell me more. What you're describing is what directors used to be: co-ordinators. Roughly since the sixties (after the appearance of a number of 'hero' directors before then) the role of Director became less of a management/craftsman role, and more of an artist- both in the way they do things, and in the consciousness of themselves and society. The staples of their responsibilities are much the same, but a lot of the creativity once held by multiple different roles (screenwriter, editor, cinematographer, etc) has been subsumed by the director; who has become something of the keeper-of-the-big-idea. The direct result of this is that films on the whole have drastically improved in quality, coherence, stylistic cohesiveness, and variety (despite how much people complain).

Though the producer does exert enormous control on the end product via the purse stings; the Director stands undiminished in the face of this as 'he who wields the stylus' to ultimate realisation of the summary experience the film will offer. In context, I was saying that Kathleen Kennedy doing stuff like the Avatar movie doesn't necessarily bode ill for Star Wars at all- as from a production standpoint the film was great. It's weakness was that Shyamalan had his head up his ass.

No, but a guy I know who still plays has told me the "plan" is in the December-January range.

Today.

RAZEDIT: And now available to all to enjoy a Multiplayer server for a single-player experience. 8 times the KOTOR.

Today.

RAZEDIT: And now available to all to enjoy a Multiplayer server for a single-player experience. 8 times the KOTOR.

Eh I was a bit disappointed by the cartel coin options. Also they restrict non subbers wayyyyyy too much. You can't even use the "unify colors" thing or all your hot bars. Oh well. I liked the the cartel coins enabled me to cheat the legacy system and get a lot of cool ship upgrades for basically nothing.

You can't disable your helm model if you are f2p.

MAN THAT $15 TO HIDE MY UGLY HELM SO WORTH IT >_>

Well, looks like I'm not reinstalling Swtor. Damn. I was looking forward to saying hello to my jedi.

I'm fine with most of the restrictions, but being told I have to pay to get the full GUI kinda upsets me. In the end though I'm mostly frustrated with myself, for wasting two hours putting ToR back on my computer without going and reading their forums first. Whoops lol.

You're not paying for a single-player experience

If you want a multi-player experience, subscribe.

That's all there is to it.

It's like $7 a month.

You're not paying for a single-player experience

If you want a multi-player experience, subscribe.

That's all there is to it.

It's like $7 a month.

Also to throw this out there.... you do not have to sub to get the full GUI (how many bars to you get free? If it is 3 or 4 you probably are okay without more), to get hide helmet, or etc etc. They just parceled a lot of it out in the cartel coin thing. You can use coins to buy your full gui, helm hiding, unifying colors, and a ton of other things. It seems a little.... dirty, but you likely won't spend more unlocking that stuff than the cost of 1 month sub, 2 tops. It really isn't that harsh. Heck LoTR locks off entire zones if you don't pay for them, the only non FTP zone in SWtOR is a level 50 only one.

The cool things I found you could do with it was cheat the legacy system. For example.... want to play a Chiss Trooper? Just throw some Cartel Coins at it and boom, who cares if you don't even have a legacy yet... you can play as a Chiss Trooper now! I used this to get myself an on ship AH, Mailbox, and Repair Droid. Dandy.