Aldumraan

The Old Republic

Oh you mean, that crap? That crap that they are copying every design possible for, to kill a good idea from the original movies by repeating it over and over and copy pasting every bullshit thing they could come across, removing the uniqueness of it, and making it common place.

Like Stormtroopers basically looking like they existed almost the same basic design form over a few thousand years. YUP THAT MAKES SENSE.

Okay I'm done ranting now.

Oh you mean, that crap? That crap that they are copying every design possible for, to kill a good idea from the original movies by repeating it over and over and copy pasting every bullshit thing they could come across, removing the uniqueness of it, and making it common place.

Like Stormtroopers basically looking like they existed almost the same basic design form over a few thousand years. YUP THAT MAKES SENSE.

That actually kind-of bothered me a little bit too. The Clone Trooper armor was designed by Kaminoans for the clones specifically, and the armor reflected the Kaminoan aesthetic style. This leads me to question either why/how the Old Republic utilized Kamino technology, or why would the xenophobic Kaminoans use an outdated model from ages past.

Perhaps I'm looking to deeply into it? The most likely thing is that Clone/Storm troopers are easily identifiable icons of Star Wars, and that Bioware wanted to up their game by giving players the chance to be one, despite lore inconsistency.

Perhaps I'm looking to deeply into it? The most likely thing is that Clone/Storm troopers are easily identifiable icons of Star Wars, and that Bioware wanted to up their game by giving players the chance to be one, despite lore inconsistency.

That is what the Dev's keep saying in interviews basically. It really isn't exactly the same regardless, it is similar but there are some differences here and there.

The clone trooper armor was designed after the Mandalorian Shocktrooper armor, it didn't really reflect the aesthetic style of the Kaminoans aside from the colors they saw in ultraviolet light on each of the Clone Troopers armor.

If it's based on Mandalorian design, it's not so difficult to swallow that it could be in existence back in the Old Republic. But it is an iconic look.

The clone trooper armor was designed after the Mandalorian Shocktrooper armor, it didn't really reflect the aesthetic style of the Kaminoans aside from the colors they saw in ultraviolet light on each of the Clone Troopers armor.

If it's based on Mandalorian design, it's not so difficult to swallow that it could be in existence back in the Old Republic. But it is an iconic look.

This

^

I actually thought about that after I posted it, Dio. I do remember something about Jango Fett having some influence on the aesthetic design of the Clone Armor, which since he is mandalorian would make sense. The Republic of the Old Republic era could have based their armor off of a mandalorian design. (The key word here is could. I don't see any practical reason for them to choose to design the aesthetics of their armor off the mandalorian armor, but I'm not going to say that it'd be impossible.)

That being said, the color scheme is, however, still very Kaminoan. That much cannot be denied, so I'm still going to chalk this up to an iconic design choice by the devs. Which, I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but it is still a bit inconsistent.

The thing is, in design, its reverse evolution, and often just makes it look silly and trying to copy.

Oh and, it being based of 'Mandalorian' armor, is crap. Why? Boba Fetts armor is only partly Mandalorian. Going by the original trilogy, and the character background, his armor is a hodgepodge of pieces he's picked up, bought and put togther to the best effect for his job as a bounty hunter. When I saw that literally, all they seemed to do was put a fresh coat of silver spray paint on the armor pieces, and get rid of the trophies, it looked really silly. It looked bland, and, you guessed it, it looked like a copy. The Mandalorians that were developed later (about a few years before the launch of Phantom Menace), they completely redisgned them, and made them from the roguish gypsy space people group they seemed to be, to what they eventually developed from the movies, and from the Clone Wars cartoons (GOD I HATE THEM). Now I can see the line that clone-boy wanted to honor his father with his armor, but again from knowing the back story of Fett when I was a kid, I fucking hate what they did to him.

AND HE FUCKING LIVED AFTER RETURN OF THE JEDI FUCK YOU LUCAS FOR NOT CARING WHAT HUNDREDS OF ARTISTS AND WRITERS DID FOR YOUR COMPANY OFF A SINGLE BARELY USED CHARACTER!!!

*cough*

Moving along...

Now, the first sets of Clonetrooper armor you see when they first appeared, I liked. I wished they just kept that one though the series, with minor addons like their older versions (Sandtrooper, AT-AT driver, Tie Pilot), but instead, they kept changing it, trying to get closer and closer to the original series. Now yes, that happens when you design something, but again, this is the reverse. In the end they made it them look more advanced, I heard some people saying it made the Stormtrooper armor look 'cheap'. While thats the case in comparrison, but when looking at the designs, its a sign they did something wrong.

Now, A THOUSAND OR SO YEARS BEFORE ALL THIS, you still see similar, some close, some damned near exact, aspects of designs, character elements, and hell, fucking character rip offs in some of the thigns I've seen. The Star Wars franchise is FULL of this, so I'm not passing blame JUST on the developers of Bioware, but its something thats sorta made me lose interest in the game, but I do know there will be more than whats seen in there.

Theres nothing wrong with iconic design, but when you use it as your same trick constantly, its still just a bad hat.

There were people complaining something fierce about how the Jedi Temple in the Deceived trailer looked almost identical to the one that was seen in the movies (roughly 3600 odd years later).

I can understand their gripes as far as 'realism' goes. It's a long time to discount any progress technologically or otherwise. After all, the 'Old' Republic's setting looks pretty much like it belongs in the same time period as the movies. I've always thought that was the point though.

Bioware wanted to do a story with all the Star Wars elements we (arguably) loved, both visually and thematically. If they didn't capitalize on those elements, they might as well have made Knights of the New Space Adventure Series.

I saw it as the best of both worlds. You have rich Bioware storytelling and the indulgences of spinning lightsabers, blaster fire and sweeping orchestral overtures.

I'm not shy about my preferences on the subject. I loved KOTOR far more than all of George Lucas' cinematic outings. To me at least, I've always seen Bioware treating Star Wars as if it was Star Wars done right. It felt like Star Wars, without the pitfalls of the actual movies. To quote the article Folvelor linked, it was the nearest thing to my own idea of Star Wars - something I'm hoping will be the case in TOR.

I could respond to Jeedup and cite facts and links to Wookiepedia on everything he just argued, but I can't be fucked.

Knights of the New Space Adventure FTW!

I could respond to Jeedup and cite facts and links to Wookiepedia on everything he just argued, but I can't be fucked.

Knights of the New Space Adventure FTW!

Can't cite facts on if I like something or not, thats my decision. What I know you'd be citing, would be Boba's background, which has changed since the introduction of the new movies, of which are canon (though I thought the cartoons were also, but apparently, they still are not considered official), Thats the interesting thing about LucasArts, of all the game/movie companies. They will fully give people the ability to work on their license, within their guildlines (been curious to what restrictions/requirements they gave Bioware), let them tag on Star Wars, but at the same time, it's not really Star Wars at purists stance.

Which is unfortunate, like it or not, alot of hard work goes into these things.

There were people complaining something fierce about how the Jedi Temple in the Deceived trailer looked almost identical to the one that was seen in the movies (roughly 3600 odd years later).

Thats alittle different, and something I didn't mind. Its a location, and something sacred (though, wonder how many times that temples been blown up, and then fixed), heck, the Egyptian pyramids are standing. It's different than a piece of advanced armor that looks very similiar to a piece of advanced armor that from a thousand or so years later.

I can understand their gripes as far as 'realism' goes. It's a long time to discount any progress technologically or otherwise. After all, the 'Old' Republic's setting looks pretty much like it belongs in the same time period as the movies. I've always thought that was the point though.

The Old Republics timeline is set about 3 thousand years before A New Hope, and actually, has been touched on since the 1990s. Some fairly decent comics were made, and a few good books about the time period. The comics made a look that was sort of a mix of Star Wars, and Lawrence of Arabia. There was still the science fiction element, but it had alot of religious and cultural looks to it. I kinda wished they had gone with that in some cases, or atleast referenced a few of the characters from those books. They might have or will be, and its just not released yet.

I don't care if you dislike TOR, that's a nonfactor. I was talking mostly about the actual discussion at hand about the trooper armor. It was Mandalorian based with Boba keeping an eye on the design. Not Boba based with it designed after his Mandalorian armor.

But it's a stupid argument anyway.

My points were both on the lore of how they came to the design, and how the designers decided to repeat the older designs, with more of a focus on the latter. Sure, all makes sense with the new lore, contradicts the old lore, but the big issue to me was the literal design of it. It's just a bad design point to go by.

What I know you'd be citing, would be Boba's background, which has changed since the introduction of the new movies, of which are canon (though I thought the cartoons were also, but apparently, they still are not considered official), Thats the interesting thing about LucasArts, of all the game/movie companies. They will fully give people the ability to work on their license, within their guildlines (been curious to what restrictions/requirements they gave Bioware), let them tag on Star Wars, but at the same time, it's not really Star Wars at purists stance.

Which is unfortunate, like it or not, alot of hard work goes into these things.

You are my new favorite person on here. "Last Man Standing - The Tale of Boba Fett" was a masterpiece.

Offshoot, Ryder Windam (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ryder_Windham) works at RISD CE as well, and I've met him several times in the last few months. AMAZING DUDE, and speaks very openly about working for Lucas Arts, knows alot about the history, and is an amazing judge of comics, writing and design, which has lead to hilarious stories of his times of being an editor.

I don't think it's that unusual. Classic designs are reused over and over again all through civilization. If something works, there's no need to change it.

It's silly to make such a big deal out of it.

It's silly to make such a big deal out of it.

You seem to be making it more of a big deal than it is, as its just a discussion about a design element. As someone looking into getting into gaming design, its a type of conversation that will be common place. People will like some things, and not like others, its not a big deal either way. I don't mean that personal, just alittle confused why you're bringing it up if you don't seem to care.

I was just responding to your rant about it with a counter-argument. I wasn't commenting on your dislike for it, I was commenting on your justification for that dislike. That's all.

It wasn't intended to be taken seriously to any degree whatsoever. I find the thread interesting, mainly because I'm not really knowledgeable on the Star Wars universe to any great degree, but was pretty much a comment on the way the conversation turned, and wasn't directed at any individual.

On topic, is it ironed out how the Republic has Smugglers on their official faction from a lore sense?

Alright, seriously. While Dio and I's discussion can be said has gotten 'tense' by words alone, it avoided making it personal.

So keep personal attacks jokes or not, out of it.

<3 you Necroxis.

For those that haven't seen it yet, there's a video from the latest Friday Update with stuff on the Flashpoints and their cinematic nature. Flashpoints being sort of like WoW dungeons.

You can see it

My old buddy Dewce and I will be forming some sort of Sith faction. Dewce is laying all the groundwork at the moment. I purposely don't read much about ToR because I already know I'm sold on the game and don't like spoilers.

On topic, is it ironed out how the Republic has Smugglers on their official faction from a lore sense?

Yeah it is ironed out. Basically smugglers are like han solo, they are just independent people who work on their own for their own profit. The Sith Empire doesn't really take too well to that type of attitude and is alot harder about cracking down on it. Simultaneously there is a video you can watch on the holonet timeline section of the main site for TOR (specifically it is the one marked at BTC 7) that talks about how it was smugglers who realized it was more profitable to help the Republic. It kind of hit a critical point when a group of smugglers were responsible for helping to break a blockade run by the mandalorians on a major shipping lane and delivered a ton of resources to various harried Republic planets. As a result the Republic started taking a more direct approach and began hiring smugglers for certain sensitive jobs. In fact the opening mission for smuggler characters puts them on the planet Ord Mantell where they have been hired by the Republic to run guns to the soldiers they have stationed there.