Aldumraan

The Old Republic

Also don't forget you get a pre order code on all versions as well. The faster you put the code in the earlier you get into the real game as they have already said all pre orders get early game access but it is based on a first come first serve.

I donno, I never really have any want to buy the super-sparkly editions of anything. Maybe my POV would be different if I had enough money available to buy them, but the sparkly stuff never seems that appealing to me.

I only buy CE's if the price is right. I don't give a shit about a statue and shit if it costs double the price. See, MK tourney edition came with a statue AND a $120 fight stick for less than that price.

I pre-ordered the regular edition. I was tempted by the digital deluxe, but then was all "fuck it." I'm sure there will be other modes of personal transportation. Right? Right? :(

I pre-ordered the regular edition. I was tempted by the digital deluxe, but then was all "fuck it." I'm sure there will be other modes of personal transportation. Right? Right? :(

After all the complaints about the games obsession with Star Wars Segways, Bioware got around to making some new vehicles.

89341020x700gdiss13.jpg

In short?

Screw the special edition segway.

I have some mixed feelings about the game. Granted, I'm not gonna pre-order it, and I never got an invite to the beta, so I won't have much to say about it until it's actually released.

The ideas seem interesting, but...guess I gotta wait to see if they can make it work. I'm just gonna chill back and watch.

I learned my lesson from diving right into Warhammer Online.

There were a lot of warning signs for Warhammer, like when they announced they were cutting content to make a release date, when that content was very integral to the game. When we started hearing the rumors about the backdoor fighting at Mythic because of EA pushing the release. And what did we end up with? A game that was bout 75% complete, and you could tell shit was missing. It was optimized poorly for many machines, and there were massive gameplay issues that were blaring. Over time they fixed many of these issues but by that point it was too late, everyone already went back to wrath, EA made the mistake of pushing the game out in time to compete with Wrath when they should have waited until the next summer or so (around the time wrath would start to die down and people would look for something else). If they had, Warhammer's launch would have been much different, the game would have been much different, and it probably would still be alive.

The only 'warning sign' we've got from this is some disgruntled former employee who got pissed off and started talking shit about the game. From every beta player I've talked to this game is amazing, Keraph who has played it at PAX says it is amazing, everyone else says it's amazing. It's nothing revolutionary by any means (unless you count voice acting as revolutionary), but it's a solid experience star wars fans who want a themepark WoW style MMO will enjoy, it's not for the sandbox crowd, which is what pisses the SWG players off.

Swerto is basically correct. I hear there are little bugs from people I know that were in the most recent beta and there were some major flaws. However all the major flaws were bugs and crashes which were reported en mass and will be fixed by real launch. The other issues were stuff like some minor graphics clipping etc, in other words minor problems every mmo launch has even the smooth ones.

The only 'warning sign' we've got from this is some disgruntled former employee who got pissed off and started talking shit about the game. From every beta player I've talked to this game is amazing, Keraph who has played it at PAX says it is amazing, everyone else says it's amazing. It's nothing revolutionary by any means (unless you count voice acting as revolutionary), but it's a solid experience star wars fans who want a themepark WoW style MMO will enjoy, it's not for the sandbox crowd, which is what pisses the SWG players off.

Preeeeeetty much.

I can pretty much vouch for the fact that most everything I have heard about the game has sounded relatively good, which I find to be a pleasant surprise. I'm still pretty solid in that I am not going to buy it, since I'm not looking to play any game like WoW, but it's good to see that it's going smoothly. It'll be nice to see a game that might be able to take the MMO genre out of its current virtual monopoly regardless of my own personal interest in it.

Shit, I have to be careful... I'll keep the scope of my comments to what someone would have seen or read about from one of their play events:

It's like WoW in the fact that there are readily understandable mechanics, such as; clicking on glowing objects for quests, killing mobs to complete quest objectives, those mobs sometimes dropping loot, and you can group with others while doing so.

I'll say that it is VERY reminiscent of the first KOTOR more than WoW in my opinion, but if you thought vanilla WoW was fun you will love this game.

PS. This is absolutely the last time I'm playing in a beta for a game. I hate having to bite my tongue when people say ridiculously stupid statements that have no basis. I'm not talking about anyone here at TNG, but in the comments section of every article or on forums.

Hell, I loved the beta community in WarHammer a lot more than any other beta community I was in previously. I dunno how the Bioware developers are with you guys, but every single one of them was actively involved with the forums, and even played with us. When they took the servers down on the weekends, they'd launch a TeamFortress2 server and invite us in with them to goof off some.

Good times.

So those of you who read Star Wars fiction, do you have any suggestions that might be related to the timeframe of ToR? I'm trying to decide whether to finally start reading WoW fiction, or just keep skipping it and head right into Star Wars stuff.

The Deceived novel was incredible, beyond that I would check out the old republic comics from Dark Horse.

Oh, and DEFINITELY check out the old KOTOR game.

The Deceived novel was incredible, beyond that I would check out the old republic comics from Dark Horse.

Oh, and DEFINITELY check out the old KOTOR game.

I think there is one more novel that will hit before the game releases as well. I don't recall the name of it though off the top of my head, I read about it on the official swtor forum somewhere like a few weeks ago. I still don't know how I will feel about all the left clicking though, I like my mouse steering...

Well, there are a lot of books in the time period, but a lot of them fall a hundred years prior to it, or a hundred years after (Rule of Two or whatever it was called for instance)

star wars wiki (wookiepedia, http://starwars.wikia.com ) is a good place to get lore info.

Thanks guys! I hadn't realized the extent that they have already started adding stories for the game. I picked up digital copies of the comics and the "first" book Star Wars: The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance. The one Kaldore suggested got much better reviews, but I'm a crazy completionist when I start in on things :P KOTOR I played about 1/2 way through before I got stuck or something, I forget why I stopped playing. If my XBox will work, I'll try to run through it again when it gets closer to the game coming out.