Draekon

Bots in BGs

So, lately I've noticed alot of 'bad' players, and then alot of bots. I began to realise that the obvious bots (The guys that just run in a line, autofollow, or loop macros) were just that, and the 'bad players' were just slightly more complex, advanced ones.

For those who still BG, heres a helpful video on how to identify them.

Hopefully, Blizzard will do the right thing and figure out a way to fix this.

Those bots have been around forever.

I have a friend who used to bot his warlock AV while he slept / went to school back in TBC and it would just run around and find people to do a dot rotation on. Got his whole honor set that way.

I don't do it because to me it isn't worth the risk of getting my account banned if I get caught, but otherwise I've never really had much care about it. The honor you get from doing nothing by using them is ridiculous, can't argue with that.

I don't mind em too much, they're free hks for non bots =D

That take spots from players who will actually contribute.

Bots are a plague in every form, and anyone who uses them for ANYTHING (farming, grinding, bging, etc.) should be punished.

Agreeing with Swerto on this one.

I notice more of them when I'm doing BGs later at night and I tell you what, as a healer there's very little more annoying in a late-night BG than finding yourself trying to defend a node with two bots latched on to you who will, of course, not help when opposition arrives. They're found ways around the old 'AFK reporting' system and rendered it useless.

It should warrant a full ban, or the loss of all your honor items, or something really harsh. The people that use them want to reap rewards without playing the game, making me question why they installed it at all.

as a healer there's very little more annoying in a late-night BG than finding yourself trying to defend a node with two bots latched on to you who will, of course, not help when opposition arrives.

Oh my god yes. So many times I have found myself healing one and it slowly dawns on me that the warlock I have been healing for the past two minutes HASN'T KILLED ANYTHING.

It should warrant a full ban, or the loss of all your honor items, or something really harsh. The people that use them want to reap rewards without playing the game, making me question why they installed it at all.

The punishment for being caught botting depends on the GM. Some GMs will give a warning on the first offense, others will time ban, and some will perma ban. Further offenses will most definitely occur in a perma ban, or at the very least a serious time ban. I mean really, Blizzard cares and does more than most people think.

However, to play devil's advocate, the idea of reaping rewards without playing the game can also translate to working for rewards without playing a game. The words working and playing don't really go hand-in-hand, and World of Warcraft has often been accused on putting too much emphasis on work, and not enough emphasis on play. I can see why players would be drawn to the idea of having a bot grind for them to get the lowest set of gear, as many either don't have the time, or the patience to slam their head against random BGs. Besides, the fact that they can be ground out by a bot, which indefinitely doesn't have the mental capability of a human being (though that statement can be negated by bots performing better than actual players in these BGs), is a pretty good indicator to the degree of pointlessness in that grind.

Again, I am playing devil's advocate. I don't have some great love or support for people who bot, I just see where they are coming from, and can also see where the people who hate them are coming from, but I remain solidly indifferent.

Besides, the fact that they can be ground out by a bot, which indefinitely doesn't have the mental capability of a human being (though that statement can be negated by bots performing better than actual players in these BGs), is a pretty good indicator to the degree of pointlessness in that grind

Yet of course the issue is they undermine BGs being played as part of the game, and not as just a grind. I suppose the answer in the end is then simply: do rated BGs with your guild. And yet I can't help but feel bothered by issues that keep me from interacting with new people outside of the ones I already know.

I can't but help favor the view of people who simply want to play the game as a game, and in turn I look down on those who are willing to ruin the experience of others for their own selfish desires, which is the real issue.

I let bots follow my priest and drag them off cliffs while I levitate. I figure if enough people do that and break the gear these people have, either the bots will have to add in repair runtimes which will deplete the amount of gold they have (even if not by much, it's still something), or make them completely ineffective since they won't have stat buffs from their gear.

but they'll still get honor from even being associated with other people who get kills, so... eh. I dunno. Bots are parasites that will attempt to suck the lifeblood out of anything, like mosquitoes or fleas.

Heh.

I don't mind bots. Free honor, and WoW has always been grindTASTIC. I've been tempted to bot my characters before, but then I remembered that I'd miss out on the only thing I enjoy, and that being exploring places.

Unless I did a BG bot, in which case AWESOME, I CAN FINALLY PVP WITH THE BIG KIDS.

I don't mind bots. Free honor, and WoW has always been grindTASTIC.

While I agree that honor feels a bit too grindy right now, but as for them being free honor - it's more time efficient to win than to get kills. Bots get in the way of winning because they do not participate, they just run around and absorb hits.

Trust me, it's not that I don't sympathize behind the reasons people bot. Earning your honor gear is grindtastic, people in randoms tend to be kind of derpy, and I am sort of sad I have reached 85 on another toon simply because it means I have to do it all over again... having built a mainset and two sets of offset pieces for my main already. *Le sigh.*

The problem I have with bots is that it makes me look less forward to entering the BGs at all. It detracts from the experience of the battleground and can too-easily screw your team over. I'm a firm believer in doing your own thing, but I start to have a problem when you're literally programming your toon to mooch off of the work of others, others who are probably having a horrible time trying to carry your non-reportable ass through the BG and losing in the process. All because someone just didn't think they should be expected to to work for what they want to earn.

I'm sorry, I just don't feel much leniency toward it.

The punishment for being caught botting depends on the GM. Some GMs will give a warning on the first offense, others will time ban, and some will perma ban. Further offenses will most definitely occur in a perma ban, or at the very least a serious time ban. I mean really, Blizzard cares and does more than most people think.

However, to play devil's advocate, the idea of reaping rewards without playing the game can also translate to working for rewards without playing a game. The words working and playing don't really go hand-in-hand, and World of Warcraft has often been accused on putting too much emphasis on work, and not enough emphasis on play. I can see why players would be drawn to the idea of having a bot grind for them to get the lowest set of gear, as many either don't have the time, or the patience to slam their head against random BGs. Besides, the fact that they can be ground out by a bot, which indefinitely doesn't have the mental capability of a human being (though that statement can be negated by bots performing better than actual players in these BGs), is a pretty good indicator to the degree of pointlessness in that grind.

Again, I am playing devil's advocate. I don't have some great love or support for people who bot, I just see where they are coming from, and can also see where the people who hate them are coming from, but I remain solidly indifferent.

as a fellow healer, and a member of the official PG bitchsquad, I highly doubt that you would feel the same after healing bots in BG after BG. I did some randoms yesterday by myself to kill time, and nothing is more infuriating than trying to heal someone who isn't doing fuck-all while you singlehandedly defend a flag and keep three people from shitting down your throat

and then some bot DK followed me to fel reaver in EotS and I was like "Sweet, me and this DK can take out Fel Reaver." NOPE. DK stands there while i get blanket silenced and pooped on.

It makes me FURIOUS MADIATOR.

I don't think there is, Swerto. You have to use triage. Ignore the baddie or the bot, focus heals on the superman with t2.

Skaadvik, I have been in your situation, and it is moderately frustrating, but I tend to just recognize them and not heal or count on them. I suppose it doesn't phase me as much because I do not do random BGs for fun. Useless players are just as bad as bots.

I want to do random BG's for fun, but the ammount of useless players and bots juts makes it un-fun. I've gotten to the point I'll only do BG's with large groups of friends unless I need to grind.

What if we get to the point where bots are programmed to such a degree that they're nigh indistinguishable from actual players? Where you're losing to them in one-on-one fights, and they react to situations differently?

Will you be good with them then?

healbot has a blacklist function

my matronly healing instincts override my ability to ever use it, because I always think "what if healing this guy will mean the difference between winning and losing someday?" because I don't know if it carries over if I see them in a BG again.

I want to do random BG's for fun, but the ammount of useless players and bots juts makes it un-fun. I've gotten to the point I'll only do BG's with large groups of friends unless I need to grind.

This summarizes how I feel about random BG's. Though to add to it, there is a whole different level of frustration (beyond the bots) as a healer. Random BG's are clusterfucks of disorganization, most of the time, and as a healer it can be monstrously frustrating to be healing people that run about without any semblance of strategy and, oftentimes, a serious lack of PvP talent. When I'm in a pre-made of some sort, or a rated BG, I don't mind losing. I guess its the feeling that "well, that other team was better than us" as opposed to "man, our team is turtling the Warsong flag room when we are down 2 to 0." I much prefer the former.

For what its worth, the inclusion of high-tier PvP gear that can be obtained in rated BG's will certainly make the bot rewards less than they used to be.

On a side note, I find the differences in personal play strategy in a random BG vs. a rated BG to be really interesting. Rated BG's obviously have team strategies that focus on winning as a group, whereas my personal, random BG strategy usually revolves around an idea like "how can play this BG effectively given the liklihood that 50% of my teammates don't understand what's happening here (or are bots)." Usually, I focus on deterrence, in those cases, rather than trying to "win" the game. Little things like letting the opposing team see me go stealth in order to try and frighten them into a few more seconds of waiting before they try to cap a node or take a flag....that sort of thing.

Edit: One of the most hilarious (and effective) random BG strategies I've seen has been during 5-man pre-made's in Warsong Gulch with Elindil. Our 5-man team would exit the flag room and go out the ramp. We'd then wait, as a group, at the bottom of the ramp, where the whole Horde team is headed. As the Horde team would show up, they'd all back off and run around wondering what to do about this group of Allies that were clearly there only to blunt their first flag rush. On average, they'd end up waiting 15-20 seconds before grouping up and charging us and, although we'd get overrun, that was an additional 20 seconds that the PuG'ers in our group had to grab their flag and head back across the field (at which point we'd rez and run directly to him). Not to mention it had everyone in vent laughing every time we did it. Good times.

healbot has a blacklist function

my matronly healing instincts override my ability to ever use it, because I always think "what if healing this guy will mean the difference between winning and losing someday?" because I don't know if it carries over if I see them in a BG again.

Skaadvik is my girl scout den mother.

Skaadvik is my mother.

fix't.

I don't sympathize with botters one bit. I think botting should be perma-b&. The game isn't grindy to the point I can't stand to play it, and would be even better if there were NO BOTS! Beyond failing hard and losing BGs for people, bots turn PvP, something that kicks ass, to PvC, something that's dangerously close to Pv....E! I don't want to fight computers. I want to hear screams of anguish halfway across the country. Only then can I sleep well.

What if we get to the point where bots are programmed to such a degree that they're nigh indistinguishable from actual players? Where you're losing to them in one-on-one fights, and they react to situations differently?

Will you be good with them then?

I almost lost to an afk paladin once, because he was doing more damage to me with whatever sort of damage reflection they have than I was to him. So I ran away. If that guy was botted I'd have probably been toast.