Karkarov

RIFT: Planes of Telara

So I have been semi following this game over the last few months though I have not committed to a purchase. For those who don't know RIFT is an upcoming MMO set to release on 3/1/11 that is similar to the older MMO's of EQ and much less WoW like... What that means is just setting, tone, and to a certain extent how it plays. The game is not going to be "easy". The reason I still watch and am on the fence as opposed to walking away in favor of just waiting for ToR is that everyone I have talked to who was in the previous betas has just about nothing bad to say about the game and seem to like it. It's also has two big claims to redefine the genre....

First it is very uh how should I say... dynamic? Basically there are two warring factions of players, plus multiple real enemy factions. All of these factions are always vying for control and can open "portals" to other planes that allow demon's to surge in and take over plots of land. Also no area is safe from this. You can literally log off in a nice peaceful town and log back in the next day surrounded by water elementals that will kill you on sight. Also PVP as far as I know is totally open world, no safe zones etc. That is both good and bad but when you consider that players can cause these portals to open too it gets a bit dicey. Meanwhile if you ignore a portal it is not like other mmo's, it won't go away. It gets bigger and eventually you are forced to deal with it. Secondly factions of npcs really do exist. Unlike in other mmo's again where if a scourge mob walked past some crazy wild animal they would do nothing in this game they will go at it. Like if a demon from some abyssal hell rolls up into an area full of nice nature based creatures or what have you they will go at it on their own and they won't just drop what they are doing because a player showed up and attack you. You can say other games have done this, which is true to an extent, but in this game it is "dynamic" again, unplanned, not structured, not preset or part of a quest.

The second thing is the class system. There are four main classes (read: Warrior, Rogue, Priest, Mage) and each class has "souls" attached to it that your character can master and learn skills from. Each class has something like 12 souls though and you can learn skills from all of them and have as many as 3 active at any one time. To say it is much more robust and customizable than a normal mmo is a major understatement, especially when you consider your abilities come from your talents invested in these souls and not your base class or even your level. Two members of the same class can literally play completely differently and have almost no skills in common.

So anyway the point of all this. For those interested who like what they read above and want to see more I have a "special offer" whoo hoo. Basically I was recently given a beta code that works up to 25 times (24 now I already used it once) and will allow full access to all remaining beta events. No purchase needed, you don't need to preorder anything, blah blah blah. One of the beta events starts this tuesday and runs through friday in fact, I believe the focus this time will be on testing some pvp refinements and a new zone/dungeon. So if you want to give it a try all you have to do is go to the website http://www.riftgame.com/en/ create an account, go to your account management section, and add a beta code.

What is the code you say? It is: L66J-QNLZ-NXTP-H667-6C2R

Oh and they also claim it will be bug free and completely refined at launch... holding breath on that one though.

Made an account. Thanks for sharing, I've been vaguely interested in the game. These days with MMOs though its a very "try before you buy" sort of atmosphere with the half done games released all the times.

Oh and they also claim it will be bug free and completely refined at launch... holding breath on that one though.

I wouldn't doubt it. In last two betas I've participated in there have been absolutely no crashes, lag, or glitches to report.

Personal experience, but it's looking real good.

Awesome thank you Karkarov for sharing. A few old friends from the Honor Guard have been beta testing this for awhile now and seem very excited for it. They haven't been excited for a MMO since we all quit Warhammer eventually and they all been hiding in online MUDs. So of course it kind of peeked my interest and I looked into it, only thing I haven't got into as been following youtube preview videos (like Jesse Cox videos). I think the one thing I am interested in though is the class system, with so many options given to you there is so much that can go wrong.

WoW already as issues with 10 classes and thirty specs. This game as like 12 "souls" for each calling and you can have 3 active at a time, holy crap I can see the issues from here. Already I kind of browse the class forums on their site and see for rogues that the must have PvP spec for a melee rogue is to have Assassin soul. So if I want to be viable I need something which limits the options they want us to have, thats what I would like to test with this game. Give me a working Nightblade/Riftstalker and I will be happy.

How does the code work from there Kark? Wait for them to e-mail you the invite to download the beta?

Yeah once you have an account and put in the code you just wait. Within a day they will email you telling you that you are in for all future beta events and give you a link to download the client. Once you download it you obviously need to run the patcher as well, pretty standard stuff for any experienced mmo player.

I played on beta weekend #4, and it seems I was also invited for #3 I just never knew about it.

So far it plays very much like everything else, just a bit shineyer (being new and all). Nothing is particualrly w/e impressive as being "originanal" w/e (too much booze right now). It plays just like wow, excpet you can queue you actions like a second in advance so it's less twitchy. and I think you can swap souls at some point so you're not stuck wtih the same three trees forever (not sure about that though). And I've heard that each class has it's own tank build, which I dig. But that's pretty much it.

I like the look of it, but their advertising campaign is to harp on WoW ("This isn't Azeroth) so they are going to lose that fight.

I say good luck to them anyway! If it is a good game, then it's a win for everyone.

Oh yeah! Is this based on RIFT the table-top? Or RIFT that super old browser based game that was, effectively, a precursor to MMO's?

The super old browser game. It has nothing to do with the RIFTS pen and paper RPG game system. Which is sad cause that means there are no rules for shooting someone with an uzi. However that upcoming MMO FPS Firefall takes care of that. Just not sure I like the premise.

On topic like I said, the main big thing is these portals that are opening up and letting demons, elementals, space aliens, elvis impersonators, and god knows what else invade the game world. That literally is the main premise of the worlds conflict and story. Hence the name "RIFT: Planes of Telara" cause there is a rift in the dimensions which is letting all these planes invade your world aka: Telara. It isn't going to be like worlds different than wow but it is going to be aimed at a different crowd, I imagine the serious hard core end game/pvp variety in fact.

Oh yeah! Is this based on RIFT the table-top?

Definitely not that. Else I'd be on that shit like white on rice with a Grackle Tooth Gunfighter that's strong enough to dual wield Railguns.

Blah, I got a code last week, and realized that Dead Space 2 comes out on the day of the start of the next beta phase -and- it's a raid night.

Sadly my dreams of being a Juicer will only be realized in the depths of a steroid induced coma.

Most Juicers end up that way anyway, so be glad?

I was in for a little while to I suffered the same fate of a few other people. Got DCed after I was done beating some Defiants and now stuck at the 89% to 49% mark sadly. So far it seemed really smooth, hardly any lag in the starting area with the rest of the beta testers which I liked and I enjoyed the Guardian starting experience so far. It pretty much reminded me of Warhammer Empire side where you automatically started with the area being under attack.

The Defiant starting storyline is somewhere between cheesy and awesome. You start out in the wartorn future, where the planet is just about to be completely destroyed, and they send you back in time to stop that from happening.

Hahaha yeah just finally got around to making a character and it crashed on me mid creatin! It is a beta so unexpected things are to be... expected. I suspect it has more to do with them restarting things etc. All the servers are quite high population right now.

Funny, during the last beta, #5 (not even sure if it's still going on or not) I played for part of an evening and then realized I was bored. So I logged back off. It's just too much of the same gameplay.

I played last night to the 6th or 7th level of the Beta. It reminds me alot of Vanilla WoW with the mobs and the repetitive quests. I got bored and logged out. Beautiful character customization screen - I'd love that for WoW.

I played last night to the 6th or 7th level of the Beta. It reminds me alot of Vanilla WoW with the mobs and the repetitive quests. I got bored and logged out. Beautiful character customization screen - I'd love that for WoW.

It's AION.

Yeah, besides the fact that my computer was dying painfully trying to run it, it felt like Lineage II meets WoW meets Aion. Character creation wasn't even all that great, in my opinion. I lasted all of ten minutes.

I played it last night and today, and there's nothing new or interesting from what I can see. Reminds me a lot of the Warhammer beta. Gritty, ugly, boring.

I actually like it. I feel like the soul system is something I can get into. World of Warcraft has become exceptionally boring to me as of late, and any sort-of change of pace is welcome to me.

I also feel like the questing is relatively streamlined. A bit boring, yeah but since when wasn't questing a tad bit boring? It doesn't feel anywhere near as inefficient as vanilla WoW's questing was.

I will probably buy it, but do I see myself playing it for an exceptionally long time to come? No. TOR is on the way. :P