Mortica

DC Universe Online?

I suppose I'd have picked it up if I were more attached to the DC Universe, but I can't help that I've always been more Marvel-centered. Batman is cool and all, but with the latest Crisis, Bruce Wayne is dead.

I did enjoy city of heroes quite a lot, but DCU isn't anything like that from a mechanics point of view. Since fans of DC will be the most likely contributor to the series' population, the high inclusion of JLA/LOD members in the quests and the instances should be quite a riot.

Batman WAS dead, then got lost in time, then was a cave-man god, then other crap, and is now doing the exact opposite of the things he's critized the JLA for doing, and starting his own Batman Club (aka Batman Incorporated).

In other more devastating news: Ted Kord (Blue Beetle) is still dead.

Batman WAS dead, then got lost in time, then was a cave-man god, then other crap, and is now doing the exact opposite of the things he's critized the JLA for doing, and starting his own Batman Club (aka Batman Incorporated).

In other more devastating news: Ted Kord (Blue Beetle) is still dead.

Not exactly true. He has not started the JLA Batman Incorporated is much more like a business (go fig with the name) he brings people in, trains them, gives them tech, then basically says "this is your turf, do the job and don't make me come back here unless it is important". I mean the dude walked in on France, told their government "I am going to install some of my agents here and run operations" they said "We don't like that no deal" he basically looked at them and said "I didn't ask permission I am telling you and I don't care if you like it". Not what the JLA would have done ;p.

Also at least so far he seems to be targeting people somewhat like himself. Normal humans with either very little "special" powers or none at all. Popular rumor is this is also being done to lead the character more in a route that would point to the Kingdom Come story and that DC may want to solidify that as cannon.

Oh and he started Batman Incorporated as Bruce Wayne and has publicly stated "I fund the Batman" though he has not admitted to being Batman.

There have been some RCers who have been trying it out. I haven't but I heard over vent that they enjoyed it a bit. It might be worth checking out. I heard its miles better than City of Heroes ever was.

Yeah, from what I've heard it's not bad. The thing I keep hearing getting thrown around on Vent is "it feels like an action game". It sounds like it's fun to dick around in, but I don't know if it has lasting appeal.

Yeah, from what I've heard it's not bad. The thing I keep hearing getting thrown around on Vent is "it feels like an action game". It sounds like it's fun to dick around in, but I don't know if it has lasting appeal.

That's exactly how I (and a couple other friends who are trying it out) feel. Very fast-paced, a lot of fun just MOVING around with acrobatics, and the PvP has some flair to it. The customization is a lot more complicated than most games, and feels lacking compared to CoH/CoV and Champions.

However, it feels very much like the novelty will wear out at a point. We're actually just playing it until Rift and TOR come out.

I've been half tempted to give it a try, but I'm with Raziel - I'm much more of a Marvel guy. And after hearing how they're doing their monthly fees in Europe and Australia... I'm not sure I want to justify SOE with my money.

Not exactly true. He has not started the JLA Batman Incorporated is much more like a business (go fig with the name) he brings people in, trains them, gives them tech, then basically says "this is your turf, do the job and don't make me come back here unless it is important". I mean the dude walked in on France, told their government "I am going to install some of my agents here and run operations" they said "We don't like that no deal" he basically looked at them and said "I didn't ask permission I am telling you and I don't care if you like it". Not what the JLA would have done ;p

Oh I know, he's doing it his own way. But he's still doing in essence of what he's constantly critized (especially in recent years) the JLA of doing, while also continuing the behavior that got him kicked out, and the JLA potentially wiped out by one of his enemies cause he doesn't know how to properly change his password to laptop :P He's gotten in arguements with Wonder Woman and Superman about telling nations what to do (he was against it originally, now he's just a douche, and not even a cool one). So now, he's basically becoming his own JLA, but doing it in a more oppressive manner, though of others (like France), to start to control things HIS way. Thats how some of his best villians did things :P

To me, its painting the character in a bad light. I don't think they'll make him a villian, or something like that, but you never know. Though I still enjoy Dick Grayson as Batman, but I hate that twerp of a Robin right now.

I was tempted the other night to give it a try but resisted. Going to try to hold off for a free trial - or at least until the shininess of cataclysm wears off a bit.

I used to be more of a marvel guy, but in recent years I've come to like DC a bit better - dunno why really.

Played a bit more of it tonight. It took me a while to warm to it, was feeling very 'meh' about it to begin with. Then I rolled on the PvP server...

The people on RC vent were entreated to some gushing. It's pretty fun.

Was never a huge comic guy.

I loved the Batman animated series, which is what first turned me onto this game (Same voice actors), but after giving it a try I found it was too choppy to really find fun as an MMO. Also SOE, I don't trust SOE. I will never pay for another SOE game after Star Wars galaxies and Planetside both dying by their watch.

I've got to admit; after having played a few hours on Leo's account, I see myself actually buying it.

It's fun and different from WoW. It feels like what Crackdown would be like if it were made an MMO. Lots of fun.

I was going to capture some gameplay footage this afternoon and post it but the servers are down ;p. Will do it later.

This game is just like some of the big mmo releases from last couple years.... you are meant to play on a D pad, not a keyboard. This is DEFINITELY an action game with emphasis on pvp. If you roll on a pvp server there is basically no such thing as a safe zone outside of your "bases" for example if you are a hero in gotham city your base is the GCPD 9th precinct which Batman loving refers to as a "safehouse". Combat is done through a variety of action buttons like one to do a light or heavy attack and others for specific powers. What I find really cool is that as you level your "weapon skills" you learn combos like hold light attack you might charge and do a slash, tap light attack and then hold it you do an uppercut that air juggles a mob, etc etc.

Character creator wise it is a red headed stepchild to Champions Online but at the same time I think they got the right idea here and have hit on something champions did not. Namely gear in this game "unlocks" costume pieces. Meaning this... each piece of gear (and there are as many gear slots as WoW) has a "look" to it. Once you equip it you unlock that "look" in your personal styles. If you go into your styles menu it lets you change anything you could mess with in character creation only now you are limited to pieces you have unlocked. So say you find a cool chest plate with ass stats you can equip it, sell it, then re equip your good stat chest plate, go into your styles menu, and change your chest appearance to look like the other one. Basically the options for looks on creation are limited but as you gear up you gain access to everything in the creator plus alot more so long term you will be able to seriously customize your look.